Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is so true 12:48 - May 6 with 11211 viewstiptreeblue

A young woman was about to finish her first year of
university. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be
Labour Party minded and she was very much in favour of higher taxes to
support her education and for more government programs in other
words, the redistribution of wealth.
She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch blue-
ribbon Conservative, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the
lectures that she had attended and the occasional chat with a
professor, she felt that her father had for years harboured a selfish
desire to keep what he thought should be his.
One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes
on the rich and the need for more government programs. The
self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors must be the
truth, and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how
she was doing at university.
Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 90%
average and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that
she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly
studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people
she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really
have many university friends because she spent all her time studying.
Her father listened and then asked, How is your friend Audrey
doing?
She replied, Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes,
she never studies and she barely has a 50% average. She
is so popular on campus; university for her is a blast. She's always
invited to all the parties and lots of times she doesn't even show up
for classes because she's too hung over.
Her wise father asked his daughter, why don't you go to the
Dean's office and ask him to deduct 20% off your average and give it to
your friend who only has 50%. That way you will both have a 70%
average, it would be fair and you would both be equal.
The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back,
That's a crazy idea. How would that be fair? I've worked really hard for my
grades. I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work.
Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played
while I worked my tail off.
The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, Welcome to
the Conservative side of the fence.
If anyone has a better explanation of the difference between
Conservative and Labour, I'm all ears.
If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on, this is
a great test!
If a Conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a Labour person doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.
If a Conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a Labour is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned
for everyone.
If a Conservative is gay, he quietly leads his life.
If a Labour is gay, he demands legislated respect.
If a Conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better
his situation.
Labour wonders who is going to take care of him.
If a Conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches
channels.
Labour demand that those they don't like should be banned.
If a Conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
A Labour non-believer wants any mention of God and religion
silenced. (Unless it's a foreign religion, of course!)
If a Conservative reads this, he'll forward it so his friends
can have a good laugh.
A Labour person will delete it because he's "offended."
This is so true on 14:57 - May 6 with 2274 viewsfactual_blue

This is so true on 14:11 - May 6 by LeoMuff

Maybe you should have told them your conservative views particularly on the NHS ?and how they should be grateful for their 1 % pay rise and tuition fees.

I'm sure they would have still been very gentle with your catheter insertion...

The Factual Party is campaigning on a platform of mandatory catheter insertion for all tory party members.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This is so true on 15:02 - May 6 with 2262 viewsTLA

This is so true on 14:57 - May 6 by taximan

no such luck

fell asleep on the sofa

back working this morning, and later this evening

work to live and all that

I work long hours and am self-employed but I'd struggle with regular 'unsociable' hours like you work.

Working to live is important but it's good to know that you do allow yourself a good time, like at Cheltenham. Your balance might not be great but it's good that you can spend time and money enjoying yourself when you work so hard to earn it.
This is so true on 15:07 - May 6 with 2254 viewstaximan

This is so true on 15:02 - May 6 by TLA

I work long hours and am self-employed but I'd struggle with regular 'unsociable' hours like you work.

Working to live is important but it's good to know that you do allow yourself a good time, like at Cheltenham. Your balance might not be great but it's good that you can spend time and money enjoying yourself when you work so hard to earn it.

cheers

i enjoy nice things

nice things cost money

the harder i work, the more money i get, the more nice things i can afford

it really is that simple in my mind

i also enjoy what i do - which is very important
This is so true on 15:08 - May 6 with 2254 viewsNewcyBlue

This is so true on 14:57 - May 6 by factual_blue

The Factual Party is campaigning on a platform of mandatory catheter insertion for all tory party members.

You're taking the P!ss

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

This is so true on 15:13 - May 6 with 2247 viewsfactual_blue

This is so true on 15:08 - May 6 by NewcyBlue

You're taking the P!ss

.....which they'll then be required to drink.......

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This is so true on 15:14 - May 6 with 2245 viewseireblue

This is so true on 15:13 - May 6 by factual_blue

.....which they'll then be required to drink.......

If a Conservative is offered a glass of urine he will just drink it...
This is so true on 15:21 - May 6 with 2237 viewsitfcjoe

This is so true on 14:39 - May 6 by NewcyBlue

You will have to excuse me if I seem a bit all over the place, I am currently on navigation duties.

The only thing I have to add is, we spend too much time seeing what our country, government, fellow man, can do for us. Why not give back? When did you last see your neighbours struggling with shopping, changing a tyre, whatever and stop and help?

We can't complain that things don't change when we don't do anything to help bring that change.

See Heathy's thread about going to Moldova. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the bloke.

I popped round neighbours a couple of weeks back and noticed she had a hole in her floor where board has collapsed and sent someone round to fix it, free of charge, that week. She seemed flabbergasted that we'd do it for her when it's just being nice.

Also, from experience, and this isn't in any way why I did it, no good deed goes unrewarded and she gave my boy some money to put in his premium bonds and wants us to re-do her kitchen soon. What goes around comes around - don't be a d!ck and you'll have a better life.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This is so true on 15:22 - May 6 with 2227 viewstaximan

This is so true on 15:21 - May 6 by itfcjoe

I popped round neighbours a couple of weeks back and noticed she had a hole in her floor where board has collapsed and sent someone round to fix it, free of charge, that week. She seemed flabbergasted that we'd do it for her when it's just being nice.

Also, from experience, and this isn't in any way why I did it, no good deed goes unrewarded and she gave my boy some money to put in his premium bonds and wants us to re-do her kitchen soon. What goes around comes around - don't be a d!ck and you'll have a better life.

as jim jefferies said, "try not to be a cnt"
Login to get fewer ads

This is so true on 15:34 - May 6 with 2214 viewsTLA

This is so true on 15:07 - May 6 by taximan

cheers

i enjoy nice things

nice things cost money

the harder i work, the more money i get, the more nice things i can afford

it really is that simple in my mind

i also enjoy what i do - which is very important

Enjoying what you do is so important - I also do that, even though it's really hard work at times. For most people, getting to do what you enjoy doesn't come easily but it's worth it when you get there.

As well as having enough money to live the life I want (which is by no means lavish!), I get a few of the things money can't buy. A while back a young woman I worked in a supportive capacity ages ago told me that being married and having her baby might not have happened without someone listening when she needed it. Being told that was one thing I wouldn't swap for money - doing what makes you feel good for a living is a great feeling!
This is so true on 15:36 - May 6 with 2205 viewsNewcyBlue

This is so true on 15:21 - May 6 by itfcjoe

Absolutely brilliant story Joe!

How is JoeJr?

This is so true on 15:46 - May 6 with 2188 viewsDolly2.0

So basically you're saying poor people are that way because they're lazy and feckless and all they should get from the rest of us is contempt?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

This is so true on 16:58 - May 6 with 2137 viewstiptreeblue

This is so true on 15:46 - May 6 by Dolly2.0

So basically you're saying poor people are that way because they're lazy and feckless and all they should get from the rest of us is contempt?

if you read my answer properly, i will help anybody if they need help because they are struggling, but not if they are serial scroungers, and please don`t tell me there are none of those about
This is so true on 17:04 - May 6 with 2124 viewstiptreeblue

This is so true on 14:07 - May 6 by NewcyBlue

MrsNewcy is a midwife. She started at 0730 and finishes at 2030.

She works hard.

Every nurse works hard mate, and they deserve more money too. Trouble is there is so much wasted in the NHS which NO Government has tackled for some reason and i really don`t understand why
This is so true on 17:09 - May 6 with 2112 viewsJ2BLUE

This is so true on 17:04 - May 6 by tiptreeblue

Every nurse works hard mate, and they deserve more money too. Trouble is there is so much wasted in the NHS which NO Government has tackled for some reason and i really don`t understand why

When I was up there with my dad one of the nurses told him she does 12 hour shifts overnight and lives in March.

That's 16 hours all in. He asked how many times a week she does that and I was expecting her to say 2-3. She said 4-5...

They deserve medals.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This is so true on 17:11 - May 6 with 2108 viewsMullet

This is so true on 16:58 - May 6 by tiptreeblue

if you read my answer properly, i will help anybody if they need help because they are struggling, but not if they are serial scroungers, and please don`t tell me there are none of those about

You seem to miss my question about how many roughly there are though, which is odd.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This is so true on 17:15 - May 6 with 2096 viewstiptreeblue

This is so true on 17:11 - May 6 by Mullet

You seem to miss my question about how many roughly there are though, which is odd.

because it is one of those questions which there isn`t a specific answer unless i went round knocking on every door to ask everybody which, is a little difficult, which you know. but you are telling me there are none of these people about then?.
This is so true on 17:22 - May 6 with 2079 viewsMullet

This is so true on 17:15 - May 6 by tiptreeblue

because it is one of those questions which there isn`t a specific answer unless i went round knocking on every door to ask everybody which, is a little difficult, which you know. but you are telling me there are none of these people about then?.

So you're complaining about a problem you have no clue about the scale of, or isn't anywhere near as bad as you want it to be and realise you look even more ridiculous, mean-spirited and silly for making it then?

Most of your "point" hinges on the existence of these people, but you can't even offer a guess as to the scale of their activity or potential cost/burden.

You've already back-pedalled a fair way to make it clear these are the people you mean and not XYZ. So why are you ignoring something so basic and presumably inconvenient if you're right?

This is so true on 17:24 - May 6 with 2072 viewsJ2BLUE

This is so true on 17:22 - May 6 by Mullet

So you're complaining about a problem you have no clue about the scale of, or isn't anywhere near as bad as you want it to be and realise you look even more ridiculous, mean-spirited and silly for making it then?

Most of your "point" hinges on the existence of these people, but you can't even offer a guess as to the scale of their activity or potential cost/burden.

You've already back-pedalled a fair way to make it clear these are the people you mean and not XYZ. So why are you ignoring something so basic and presumably inconvenient if you're right?

Two choices when you're shown up to be a mug. Front it our or admit you got it wrong. He's going for option A.

Probably saw it on Facebook and copied it without thinking.

Truly impaired.

This is so true on 17:29 - May 6 with 2062 viewstiptreeblue

This is so true on 17:22 - May 6 by Mullet

Whatever Mr know it all Mullet. if you say so then it must be right because, as i have seen on here before, you are never wrong, you just put in a question which cannot be answered , then start to get a little verbal until somebody bites, well please accept this as my apology, as there are obviously no people who know how to work the system and have ever claimed for everything they can, also there never has been. sorry oh lord and mighty one. i will always accept your`e answer as correct in the future
This is so true on 17:31 - May 6 with 2051 viewsJ2BLUE

This is so true on 17:29 - May 6 by tiptreeblue

Whatever Mr know it all Mullet. if you say so then it must be right because, as i have seen on here before, you are never wrong, you just put in a question which cannot be answered , then start to get a little verbal until somebody bites, well please accept this as my apology, as there are obviously no people who know how to work the system and have ever claimed for everything they can, also there never has been. sorry oh lord and mighty one. i will always accept your`e answer as correct in the future

http://www.cas.org.uk/features/myth-busting-real-figures-benefit-fraud

Truly impaired.

This is so true on 17:34 - May 6 with 2050 viewsMullet

I'm the one getting "a little verbal"?

You were asked for your opinion, something you were happy to put onto everyone earlier. It's odd how you you've put a long ranting post up complaining about people, who complain and demand respect when presented with something they don't like.

This is so true on 17:35 - May 6 with 2043 viewstiptreeblue

This is so true on 17:34 - May 6 by Mullet

I'm the one getting "a little verbal"?

You were asked for your opinion, something you were happy to put onto everyone earlier. It's odd how you you've put a long ranting post up complaining about people, who complain and demand respect when presented with something they don't like.

sorry sir
This is so true on 17:41 - May 6 with 2027 viewsSarge

If a Labour person wrote that, would they have at least punctuated it?
This is so true on 17:51 - May 6 with 2002 viewsNewcyBlue

This is so true on 17:04 - May 6 by tiptreeblue

My point was that it isn't just nurses. Doctors, nurses, cleaners, HCA's, paramedics, midwives, and so many more.

This is so true on 17:52 - May 6 with 1997 viewsLankHenners

"know it all" - another one to add to that list of insults that shouldn't be insults.

As if having knowledge and the ability to grasp facts is somehow a bad thing. I know these days those things are often looked down on in favour of the sort of stuff like your OP, but still.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024