Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. 12:39 - May 9 with 4391 viewsWeWereZombies

Be very careful if you turn to pills, even when prescribed by a doctor but especially if sourced otherwise:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-39855184

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. on 18:30 - May 9 with 1208 viewsblue_oyster

We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. on 15:45 - May 9 by Swailsey

I'm sorry?

Most "anti-depression" medications are mood stabilizers, which (when used in conjunction with effective therapy) allow the patient to be more receptive, calm and in a mindset where they can absorb information.

No medication claims to "cure" depression or mental illness and I don't think anyone actually thinks that it does?

They may well 'work'. They may also have nasty side effects which make the 'patient' suicidal. But drugs shouldn't be prescribed unless they know what they are prescribing for, under strict medical tests which prove they work, and not guess.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. on 19:11 - May 9 with 1185 viewsRadlett_blue

We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. on 18:30 - May 9 by blue_oyster

They may well 'work'. They may also have nasty side effects which make the 'patient' suicidal. But drugs shouldn't be prescribed unless they know what they are prescribing for, under strict medical tests which prove they work, and not guess.

So are you suggesting that drugs should NOT be prescribed for mental health issues?
I realise that there is a hit & miss element as mental issues are near impossible to analyse in a foolproof manner, but it seems that your conclusion is that they should not be used.
Given the number of people whose lives have been made immeasurably better by these sort of drugs, that seems a highly irrational stance.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. on 20:44 - May 9 with 1152 viewsSwailsey

We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. on 18:30 - May 9 by blue_oyster

Where have I said any different to that?

I have said drugs are prescribed too fast and incorrectly on some occasions - too often.

Are you saying that if someone has been clinically diagnosed with a mental illness, that they shouldn't take the dedicated medication for that illness?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. on 21:54 - May 9 with 1123 viewsblue_oyster

We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. on 19:11 - May 9 by Radlett_blue

So are you suggesting that drugs should NOT be prescribed for mental health issues?
I realise that there is a hit & miss element as mental issues are near impossible to analyse in a foolproof manner, but it seems that your conclusion is that they should not be used.
Given the number of people whose lives have been made immeasurably better by these sort of drugs, that seems a highly irrational stance.

No, I'm saying there is doubt, and it's not 'without doubt'.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

We have had a few threads about depression, anxiety and panic attacks, careful.. on 07:31 - May 10 with 1076 viewsTLA

Some of the debate here is very valid but, above all, I would respect the opinions of people with their own experiences of using medication or not.

There are, of course, no simple tests and measures for mental health conditions and often a diagnosis depends on a clear articulation at a time when that is least possible. It leads to more trial and error than with other health conditions.

There are clear diagnostic guidelines though - DSM 5 and ICD 10 are currently used to make the most accurate diagnoses of mental disorders. There is also research into brain scans, which are starting to indicate various changes in the brain activity of people with certain conditions. It's all in it's infancy though. Maybe if the research get similar levels of funding to other diseases, this will be accelerated.

So much more has become known about health conditions and, as a few people have pointed out, science doesn't prove things, it just keeps testing what we know.

Medications don't get clinical approval without rigorous testing but there is certainly space for debate.
[Post edited 10 May 2017 8:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024