Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Free transfer signings by Summer 15:14 - May 12 with 2655 viewsitfcjoe

2013/14
Berra
Skuse
Murphy
McGoldrick
Gerken
Tabb
Anderson

2014/15
Bajner
Bialkowski
Stewart
Parr
Bru

2015/16
Yorwerth
Coke
Douglas
Toure
Oar

2016/17
Digby
Best
Varney

Considering we aren't a team that looks to pay fees, this is where our under investment is really catching up - we just aren't bringing in good players on freebies any more - we either aren't competing on wages or there isn't the quality in the market (which means our recruitment model needs updating)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:16 - May 12 with 2588 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

2013/2014 was a Bl00dy good transfer window in hindsight on the cheap

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:16 - May 12 with 2585 viewsLuk38644

I always thought Bart was for a nominal fee?
Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:18 - May 12 with 2565 viewstheblueginger

You can see from the list of the last 2 summers that relying on quality frees is not an option anymore. I agree it also suggests the idea we offer good wages is now a bit of a myth, as we cannot entice the same level of player here on a Bosman when there are still plenty available.
Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:19 - May 12 with 2556 viewschristiand

You look at 2015 onwards and there have been some mediocre signings over the last couple of seasons free or not!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:19 - May 12 with 2557 viewsthatdamgood89

Not sure how we can entirely right off the class of 2015/16. Over half the class was never really given a chance in Yorwerth, Toure and Oar. I'm convinced had we actually liked the ball to be played on the deck Oar would have worked out.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:20 - May 12 with 2542 viewsKieran_Knows

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:16 - May 12 by Luk38644

I always thought Bart was for a nominal fee?

Free transfer with clauses I think.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:21 - May 12 with 2537 viewsTIB

Just bring Bajner back...at least then we had a party

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:21 - May 12 with 2535 viewsLuk38644

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:19 - May 12 by thatdamgood89

Not sure how we can entirely right off the class of 2015/16. Over half the class was never really given a chance in Yorwerth, Toure and Oar. I'm convinced had we actually liked the ball to be played on the deck Oar would have worked out.

I'm still annoyed the Tommy Oar experiment didn't work out for whatever reason!
Login to get fewer ads

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:23 - May 12 with 2520 viewsitfcjoe

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:19 - May 12 by thatdamgood89

I think Yorwerth and Toure can be written off as cheap punts

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:23 - May 12 with 2516 viewsJ2BLUE

Yorwerth...bloody hell, well remembered.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:24 - May 12 with 2517 viewsTIB

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:21 - May 12 by Luk38644

I'm still annoyed the Tommy Oar experiment didn't work out for whatever reason!

I hear that. I honestly thought we had snapped up a quietly player there who would lift the squad. It wasn't meant to be though.

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:28 - May 12 with 2486 viewsxrayspecs

Did we not sign James Alabi as well.

Just goes to show how distorted the market has become that we can not compete financially for the likes of Berra, Skuse, Murph, McGoldrick etc. anymore
Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:30 - May 12 with 2441 viewsTIB

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:28 - May 12 by xrayspecs

Did we not sign James Alabi as well.

Just goes to show how distorted the market has become that we can not compete financially for the likes of Berra, Skuse, Murph, McGoldrick etc. anymore

Solid shout. He's done well at Chester this season...17 goals in 42 games.

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:42 - May 12 with 2384 viewshomer_123

Isn't it odd to wistfully look back at Tabb and Anderson and think 'they'd improve us right now'.

I'd point put that although Stewart was a 'free' he was on a ridiculous contract (both in terms of wages and length), think Lee Martin.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:45 - May 12 with 2367 viewsPhilTWTD

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:20 - May 12 by Kieran_Knows

Free transfer with clauses I think.

Was announced that it was 'undisclosed' but Mick then said it was free. I sort of tricked him into confirming that by saying it was a rare fee he was paying so he took great delight in telling me he hadn't, he'd got him for nothing! As you say, I think money would have been due to Notts County after promotion, is probably a sell-on.
Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:45 - May 12 with 2363 viewshype313

Unfortunately if we carry on as the status quo then we are real dnager of falling further next season, and from Phil indicates, it seems that will be the way as we just can't (don't want to) compete.

ST sales replicate the apathy from the top down.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:48 - May 12 with 2337 viewshomer_123

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:45 - May 12 by hype313

Unfortunately if we carry on as the status quo then we are real dnager of falling further next season, and from Phil indicates, it seems that will be the way as we just can't (don't want to) compete.

ST sales replicate the apathy from the top down.

Whilst I agree to a point, actually - it's far too small a sample size to infer any trends.

There is nothing to say that we won't pick up a Didz or Bart or equivalent on a free this summer. Plenty of quality players out of contract and just because we didn't last year doesn't mean we won't this year.

The real odds against is us spending £2m plus on a single player - at the moment, all the feedback from the Club indicates this won't happen.

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:59 - May 12 with 2286 viewsitfcjoe

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:42 - May 12 by homer_123

Isn't it odd to wistfully look back at Tabb and Anderson and think 'they'd improve us right now'.

I'd point put that although Stewart was a 'free' he was on a ridiculous contract (both in terms of wages and length), think Lee Martin.

Since the first summer - Parr, Oar, Stewart and Bart were all proper freebies, not been many others

Free transfer signings by Summer on 16:02 - May 12 with 2267 viewsTIB

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:48 - May 12 by homer_123

Whilst I agree to a point, actually - it's far too small a sample size to infer any trends.

There is nothing to say that we won't pick up a Didz or Bart or equivalent on a free this summer. Plenty of quality players out of contract and just because we didn't last year doesn't mean we won't this year.

The real odds against is us spending £2m plus on a single player - at the moment, all the feedback from the Club indicates this won't happen.

There are set to be some decent freebies, Bartz / Didz esq...BUT...we are in a far less appealing position as a club for players to come to than we were a few seasons back. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Free transfer signings by Summer on 16:05 - May 12 with 2245 viewshomer_123

Free transfer signings by Summer on 16:02 - May 12 by TIB

There are set to be some decent freebies, Bartz / Didz esq...BUT...we are in a far less appealing position as a club for players to come to than we were a few seasons back. Hopefully I'm wrong.

'far less appealing' - on what basis?

I think you could argue 'slightly less appealing' but we are still in the Championship - we pay decent wages, stable management, stable ownership, stable fans, training facilities, stadium etc.

Yes, we don't spend or pay as much as others in this division......that's all.

Free transfer signings by Summer on 16:30 - May 12 with 2178 viewsTIB

Free transfer signings by Summer on 16:05 - May 12 by homer_123

'far less appealing' - on what basis?

I think you could argue 'slightly less appealing' but we are still in the Championship - we pay decent wages, stable management, stable ownership, stable fans, training facilities, stadium etc.

Yes, we don't spend or pay as much as others in this division......that's all.

"Stable fans" is questionable

But for me...Less appealing in regards to style of football...Less appealing average to lower wages than other clubs...Less appealing unstable management...meh...Mick might be staying but doesn't beat fact fans have been calling for him to go for much of the season...and that leads to a less appealing stadium which will probably be half empty next season.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just think the second half of the season really highlighted us in a bad light in a lot of areas which might put some players off.
[Post edited 12 May 2017 16:31]

Free transfer signings by Summer on 16:38 - May 12 with 2162 viewshomer_123

Free transfer signings by Summer on 16:30 - May 12 by TIB

"Stable fans" is questionable

But for me...Less appealing in regards to style of football...Less appealing average to lower wages than other clubs...Less appealing unstable management...meh...Mick might be staying but doesn't beat fact fans have been calling for him to go for much of the season...and that leads to a less appealing stadium which will probably be half empty next season.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just think the second half of the season really highlighted us in a bad light in a lot of areas which might put some players off.
[Post edited 12 May 2017 16:31]

Remember though that it's a job for these guys, they need to get paid (or at least some pay is better than none).

We are far more appealing that Div 1 and lower league clubs (yes, we could argue there are some clubs a league below that maybe more attractive).

We've had several players playing for us over the past few years that hated Ipswich, didn't like the club, staff, fans, training facilities etc. but still managed to put a very good shift in week in week out.

A certain French midfielder is the most notable, followed by a left back that joined us from Leeds. We also have a player who's in the first team squad most weeks who could have joined at least two clubs in Jan but we pay more in wages and hence he stayed.....
[Post edited 12 May 2017 16:41]

Free transfer signings by Summer on 16:55 - May 12 with 2076 viewsjas0999

Free transfer signings by Summer on 15:16 - May 12 by The_Romford_Blue

2013/2014 was a Bl00dy good transfer window in hindsight on the cheap

Indeed, but I suspect the wages and signing on fees were fairly significant for those players. As the seasons go by, the quality of player signed on a free declines, with the wages I suspect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024