Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace 10:34 - May 29 with 4568 viewsmos

ISIS reason their killings and terrorism with quotes from the Islamic book - Qur'an.

"Kill the idolaters wherever you find them, and capture them, and blockade them, and watch for them at every lookout...” (Quran 9:5).

I needed an example, this quote would be used by ISIS members who try and justify war. Now, before anyone goes crazy. This quote is out of context, and does have a backstory which reveals that the Quran does not include that killing of non-believers is an accepted thing. This quote was made at the time where the Islamic faith was attacked by Meccans, something like that.

But, at the same time, there are quotes to suggest peace.

"the taking of one innocent life is like taking all of Mankind... and the saving of one life is like saving all of Mankind" - Holy Qur'an, 5:33.

Explaining killing is wrong, and peace is the path you should take as a Muslim.

I believe that most of the quotes that imply violence are out of context, and don't apply. The book wouldn't be made if it had 2 completely opposite points of view which disagreed with eachother.

What do you think? I think that the quotes that the terrorists use are mainly out of context, therefore cannot be justified, but I haven't read the whole Qur'an so I can't say.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:38 - May 29 with 2531 viewsunbelievablue

My view is that this is a very dangerous exercise, though hats off for attempting to understand more than most would ever make the effort to do.

I thoroughly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quran-Biography-Books-Shook-World/dp/1843543982/ref=tmm

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:57 - May 29 with 2486 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Fair play for you trying to understand but I expect this to become at least 8 pages and I could name some of the posters that will be involved.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:57 - May 29 with 2485 viewsBlueBadger

It's almost like extremists of all stripes cherry pick the bits of their favoured texts in order to justify their bulls1t.
[Post edited 29 May 2017 10:59]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:58 - May 29 with 2473 viewsBlueBadger

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:57 - May 29 by The_Romford_Blue

Fair play for you trying to understand but I expect this to become at least 8 pages and I could name some of the posters that will be involved.

Might be time to take the dog out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:58 - May 29 with 2473 viewsunbelievablue

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:57 - May 29 by The_Romford_Blue

When Sparks turns up I'm off.

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:59 - May 29 with 2467 viewsBlueBadger

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:58 - May 29 by unbelievablue

When Sparks turns up I'm off.

In a taxi?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:59 - May 29 with 2467 viewschicoazul

You really think the killings and attacks we see in the UK specifically are anything to do with Islam? Or some sort of holy war, strike back against the crusaders? You are looking in the wrong direction. Political and business interests are driving you away from the blatantly obvious cause at the heart of all these attacks.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:00 - May 29 with 2451 viewsunbelievablue

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:59 - May 29 by chicoazul

You really think the killings and attacks we see in the UK specifically are anything to do with Islam? Or some sort of holy war, strike back against the crusaders? You are looking in the wrong direction. Political and business interests are driving you away from the blatantly obvious cause at the heart of all these attacks.

Define 'anything to do with Islam'.

Login to get fewer ads

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:00 - May 29 with 2454 viewsThePitBoss

The quran says it's OK to have sex with 9 year olds. Mo was a pedo.

The religion of peace.
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:03 - May 29 with 2439 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:00 - May 29 by ThePitBoss

The religion of peace.

As you said to me the other day... 'evidence'?

Because I do not believe for a second, that the Quran actually says that it's ok to have sex with 9 year olds.

I think you've made that up or heard it from someone and taken it as a fact.

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:04 - May 29 with 2440 viewsunbelievablue

Worth pointing out that the Quran was, in it's original form, spoken word and 'scribed' by those who had memorized the revelations.

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:08 - May 29 with 2420 viewsunbelievablue

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:03 - May 29 by The_Romford_Blue

Because I do not believe for a second, that the Quran actually says that it's ok to have sex with 9 year olds.

It's worth noting that the Quran was originally a series of verbal 'revelations' by the prophet Muhammad over 1500 years ago, so any criticism or analysis of it in order to either defend or condemn an entire faith in the context of a terror attack in Manchester in 2017 is probably quite disingenuous.

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:14 - May 29 with 2385 viewsunbelievablue

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:00 - May 29 by ThePitBoss

The religion of peace.

In 600AD I reckon that was relatively widespread in Christendom matey.
[Post edited 29 May 2017 11:14]

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:24 - May 29 with 2360 viewsRegencyBlue

Given that the perpetrators themselves say that it is then its a possibility!
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:24 - May 29 with 2360 viewsThePitBoss

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha

Did you find the link for Robinson yet, where he says all Muslims should be deported? Sorry if I've missed it.
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:28 - May 29 with 2338 viewsMullet

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:14 - May 29 by unbelievablue

In 600AD I reckon that was relatively widespread in Christendom matey.
[Post edited 29 May 2017 11:14]

The OP is right to a certain extent and the context of scripture is always important, but you're talking to someone who made that specific account to troll on here - and do it badly.

You'll never get any sense or fairness from him.

The cultural aspects of the OT, the Qu'ran etc. are always lost in threads such as this but it's important we remember how different the world of our grandparents could be let alone a foreign land thousands of years ago. Trying to relate it to what happened here a week ago or so is as you say admirable but never going to end well.

As the mega-thread proved there are people who don't even know/want to understand the response up here or how people feel and would rather project their views and hate on to it. Maybe "we" should start there as a society not the wars with the Meccans I dunno.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:30 - May 29 with 2330 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:24 - May 29 by ThePitBoss

Did you find the link for Robinson yet, where he says all Muslims should be deported? Sorry if I've missed it.

A misconception you are spouting there.

The Quran suggests post-puberty for all marriages

http://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/muhammad-married-young-girl.htm

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:35 - May 29 with 2309 viewsPendejo

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:24 - May 29 by RegencyBlue

Given that the perpetrators themselves say that it is then its a possibility!

The individuals may profess a link, but they are but a minuscule % of the worldwide diaspora. I'm sure someone posted a link to an article pointing out that the extremists are hate filled rather than principled.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:35 - May 29 with 2305 viewseireblue

That isn't a link from the Qur'an.
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:36 - May 29 with 2303 viewsMullet

That says "According to Sunni scriptural Hadith sources, Aisha was six or seven years old when she was married to Muhammad with the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old."

So not a Qu'ranic quote, but a Hadith.

Also given the oral tradition of Hadiths, translation and interpretation of "consummation" and the examples of Medieval European monarchs who "married" children for political expediency, your point looks almost unrecognisable.

You might be right, but the evidence doesn't back you up without you taking out, remoulding and fixing various pieces of information a quick google doesn't cover.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:36 - May 29 with 2305 viewsSteve_M

Yes, start to understand the ideology of ISIS and it's clear that they are. There is more than one causal factor here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:45 - May 29 with 2263 viewsmanchego

Sahih Muslim (8:3309) - Muhammad consummated his marriage to Aisha when she was only nine. (See also Sahih Bukhari 58:234 and many other places). No where in the reliable Hadith or Sira is there any other age given. Other references are Sahih Bukhari 3896, 5158 and 3311.
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:47 - May 29 with 2254 viewsmos

?
What are you talking about...

I said nothing about the attacks in Manchester having any relation to Islam.

I am talking about ISIS, quite evidently...

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:47 - May 29 with 2248 viewsDarth_Koont

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:08 - May 29 by unbelievablue

It's worth noting that the Quran was originally a series of verbal 'revelations' by the prophet Muhammad over 1500 years ago, so any criticism or analysis of it in order to either defend or condemn an entire faith in the context of a terror attack in Manchester in 2017 is probably quite disingenuous.

Well said.

We have separation of church and state for exactly this reason. It'll tie the pro- and anti-religion people in silly, unhelpful knots.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:52 - May 29 with 2223 viewsnoggin

It was me that said Robinson would have all muslims deported. I never said, he actually said it, but we all know it's what he would like. This statement seems quite clear to me.
“I’m not far-right… I’m just opposed to Islam. I believe it’s backward and it’s fascist,” he says, “The current refugee crisis is nothing to do with refugees. It’s a Muslim invasion of Europe.”

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024