Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar 10:29 - Aug 2 with 6369 viewsSuperfrans

Our annual transfer budget is about 2% of that.
Football is broken.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40800757

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:31 - Aug 2 with 4920 viewsKieran_Knows

Madness, it really is ... and to go play in Ligue 1 as well? He'll obviously become the 'poster boy' and main man at PSG, but still, not exactly the best league in the world.

Games gone, to be fair, it was gone 3-4 years ago, but it well and truly is gone now.

Thing is, I can still see a Man City or PSG put together an even bigger deal for someone like Messi.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 10:32]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:31 - Aug 2 with 4911 viewsStokieBlue

It's even less than 2%. Quite a lot less.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:39 - Aug 2 with 4875 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

The bubble has to burst as some point surely, fees and wages like this are not sustainable long term I wouldn't have thought.

Its ridiculous and one of the reasons I am falling out of love with football. In a way I am grateful that ITFC aren't involved in the circus but we will get left behind very quickly now with the current market as it stands.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:49 - Aug 2 with 4811 viewsNo9

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:39 - Aug 2 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

The bubble has to burst as some point surely, fees and wages like this are not sustainable long term I wouldn't have thought.

Its ridiculous and one of the reasons I am falling out of love with football. In a way I am grateful that ITFC aren't involved in the circus but we will get left behind very quickly now with the current market as it stands.

It will last as long as there are enough crooks out there who need to launder their I'll gotten gains.
PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:51 - Aug 2 with 4799 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:31 - Aug 2 by Kieran_Knows

Madness, it really is ... and to go play in Ligue 1 as well? He'll obviously become the 'poster boy' and main man at PSG, but still, not exactly the best league in the world.

Games gone, to be fair, it was gone 3-4 years ago, but it well and truly is gone now.

Thing is, I can still see a Man City or PSG put together an even bigger deal for someone like Messi.

I can kind of get the 'Poster boy' and 'Big Dog' argument as to be considered a true great he has to win the Ballon Dor, which he won't whilst playing 2nd fiddle to Messi and he has the likes of Rivaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo as Brazillian winners in our lifetime.

Though if he does go to PSG then surely they won't be able to add anyone else for another couple of years.. possibly selling someone. The rumour was Draxler as part of the deal. If that is the case then he'll never win the Champions league with PSG and he won't be rated on how many domestic titles he wins it will be European and World titles and he will be dramatically reducing his chances for European titles if he leaves
PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:53 - Aug 2 with 4782 viewsLankHenners

It's all about the money. Think I read somewhere that he was holding out on the transfer so his dad could receive a £20 million loyalty bonus.

However, pretty sure the culture in Brazil, when it comes to football, is that you should always go where the money takes you - a lot of footballers come from poor backgrounds and so want to earn as much as they can to take them and their family away from poverty, which is a real issue in Brazil.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:54 - Aug 2 with 4762 viewsdavblue

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:51 - Aug 2 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I can kind of get the 'Poster boy' and 'Big Dog' argument as to be considered a true great he has to win the Ballon Dor, which he won't whilst playing 2nd fiddle to Messi and he has the likes of Rivaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo as Brazillian winners in our lifetime.

Though if he does go to PSG then surely they won't be able to add anyone else for another couple of years.. possibly selling someone. The rumour was Draxler as part of the deal. If that is the case then he'll never win the Champions league with PSG and he won't be rated on how many domestic titles he wins it will be European and World titles and he will be dramatically reducing his chances for European titles if he leaves

The whole family seem to be money grabbers, his dad has made an extraordinary amount of money from Him and Barca in the last few years.

Im not convinced Neymar will play all that long as his sole focus seems to be money, merchandise, he was in a film this year, i think his focus isn't totally on football.
PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:56 - Aug 2 with 4746 viewsCoastalblue

I've been hopefully waiting for the bubble to burst for about the last fifteen years, I dislike football being something everybody has an opinion on these days and despise the financial aspects.

Reality is, I'm not sure it will now, not for a very long time.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 11:09 - Aug 2 with 4635 viewsbrazil1982

Based on seeing him play live once (lolz I know) he's not a great player at all. Dreadfully lazy.
This value simply reflects his market image.
PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 11:13 - Aug 2 with 4612 viewswkj

I am skeptical this would go through, simply because they would have to be paying him a ridiculous wage to entice him given how hefty the french tax is on high earners (if only we were so bold)

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 11:19 - Aug 2 with 4562 viewsSuperfrans

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 10:31 - Aug 2 by StokieBlue

It's even less than 2%. Quite a lot less.

SB

2% is just under £4m.

Our transfer budget would be very close to this. It may even be more.

Remember that we've spent just under a million on Garner (haven't we?), have been talking about making bids of £1-£2m recently and there will have been signing fees for Celina, Adeyemi, Iorfa, Spence and Huws - and that's only this summer.

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 11:21 - Aug 2 with 4550 viewsStokieBlue

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 11:19 - Aug 2 by Superfrans

2% is just under £4m.

Our transfer budget would be very close to this. It may even be more.

Remember that we've spent just under a million on Garner (haven't we?), have been talking about making bids of £1-£2m recently and there will have been signing fees for Celina, Adeyemi, Iorfa, Spence and Huws - and that's only this summer.

You think our transfer budget is 4m?

Don't the accounts published from the last few years clearly show this to be untrue? You might be right though.

That 198m is just the getout clause fee. It won't include signing on fees etc.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 11:24 - Aug 2 with 4529 viewsSuperfrans

It has so many knock on effects.

It inflates prices of other players, but putting such a vast additional sum into the overall cash pool - Barcelona will have to pay over the odds for their next signings, so will the clubs who are overpaid for the players that they buy etc etc.

The general value of players will inflate too. Other players (and their clubs) will be fancied as "almost as good" as Neymar and be demanding more cash.

And to the overall talent pool too - it illustrates how big clubs are able to afford to hoover up swathes of young talent, park them in their reserves or send them out on loan. It all prevents us from being able to own all of our own players in the way we used to.

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 11:25 - Aug 2 with 4521 viewsSuperfrans

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 11:21 - Aug 2 by StokieBlue

You think our transfer budget is 4m?

Don't the accounts published from the last few years clearly show this to be untrue? You might be right though.

That 198m is just the getout clause fee. It won't include signing on fees etc.

SB

I'm talking about this year. We have been spending much more than in recent years. That's clear to see.

This year it might very well be £4m, possibly more by the end of this month.

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 12:24 - Aug 2 with 4396 viewsBlue_Order

19,800 Kieffers.
PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 12:26 - Aug 2 with 4388 viewsKieran_Knows

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 12:24 - Aug 2 by Blue_Order

19,800 Kieffers.

I know who i'd rather have ....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 12:28 - Aug 2 with 4373 viewswkj

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 12:26 - Aug 2 by Kieran_Knows

I know who i'd rather have ....

Me too! with 19,800 Keifers in the stands we would be close to capacity!

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 12:58 - Aug 2 with 4264 viewsmaximoalex

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 11:13 - Aug 2 by wkj

I am skeptical this would go through, simply because they would have to be paying him a ridiculous wage to entice him given how hefty the french tax is on high earners (if only we were so bold)

Supposedly they have offered him £650,000 a week. Tax free.
PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:01 - Aug 2 with 4235 viewsITFCson

It's all about supply and demand. If Psg can afford him at 198M then why not. He cost about 250 times more than Joe Garner so the question is does he bring 250 times more value to PSG then garner does to us, and the answer is probably yes.
PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:03 - Aug 2 with 4217 viewswkj

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 12:58 - Aug 2 by maximoalex

Supposedly they have offered him £650,000 a week. Tax free.

that is indeed more worrying than the transfer fee itself, so if he is on 650k take home, his gross could be close to 1m
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 13:04]

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:04 - Aug 2 with 4208 viewswkj

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:01 - Aug 2 by ITFCson

It's all about supply and demand. If Psg can afford him at 198M then why not. He cost about 250 times more than Joe Garner so the question is does he bring 250 times more value to PSG then garner does to us, and the answer is probably yes.

What would you say the supply is, and the demand is in this scenario? You kind of lost me there

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:06 - Aug 2 with 4189 viewsSuperfrans

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:01 - Aug 2 by ITFCson

To a degree.

But it raises the wider question about whether football should be ruled by market forces.

There is a logical argument that the biggest clubs are most marketable, therefore should take all the media income from (for instance) broadcasts of their matches. But they wouldn't hold those positions without the rest of the football pyramid and the cultural position that football holds - which is about more than just the handful of clubs at the top. It's a delicately balanced eco-system, in which those at the top need to understand their debt to those at the bottom - and that applies both to footballers and football clubs.

Personally, I'll be happy when they all sod off to the pan-European/global super league and leave the rest of us to play football in a sustainable fashion.

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:11 - Aug 2 with 4166 viewswkj

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:06 - Aug 2 by Superfrans

To a degree.

But it raises the wider question about whether football should be ruled by market forces.

There is a logical argument that the biggest clubs are most marketable, therefore should take all the media income from (for instance) broadcasts of their matches. But they wouldn't hold those positions without the rest of the football pyramid and the cultural position that football holds - which is about more than just the handful of clubs at the top. It's a delicately balanced eco-system, in which those at the top need to understand their debt to those at the bottom - and that applies both to footballers and football clubs.

Personally, I'll be happy when they all sod off to the pan-European/global super league and leave the rest of us to play football in a sustainable fashion.

I think the Champions league needs to be an actual league too - Let the elite clubs play together, and give domestic club football a chance to recover. How would clubs get into the champions league? I wouldnt even be against the league being closed to new teams joining it

PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:15 - Aug 2 with 4127 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Yes and no. The fees / wages are getting much higher, but the players aren't actually getting any better.
PSG prepare to spend £198m on Neymar on 13:15 - Aug 2 with 4125 viewsWallingford_Boy

Why is it broken? Just because transfer fees keep going up?

Its all relative isn't it.. doesn't really change much.

Championship players go for £10m now, Prem £50m and World Superstars £100m+

Its still the beautiful game.... deep down.

RIP Sir Bobby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024