Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Go Compare 15:46 - Jan 16 with 5685 viewsHeathlander

Got my car insurance renewal notice today. eSure wanted £333 for fully comp etc for next year.

Got on Go Compare and first quote was for a company called RIAS for £199. Never heard of them so checked trust pilot. Saw that they shouldn't be touched with a barge pole. Made this mistake before with iSupply for my Mum's gas and Lecky. Didn't check and turned out to be the biggest pile of dog mess going. Had a nightmare with them. A quick trust pilot search would have solved that.

Next cheapest was Halifax for £233. £100 while pounds cheaper and a proper firm. The actual coverage is with AXA so can't go wrong.

Always worth a quick check before you renew automatically. Can save you lots of cash.

Took ten minutes. Happy Days.

Nothing to do with footy but thought I would share/.
Go Compare on 15:50 - Jan 16 with 5660 viewsMarcFowler

I got a quote for something like £600 for the year, and I was like hell no that's too high. So I called to cancel it because I was going somewhere else who quoted me £350, and magically enough, there was a discount available on my account that took my amount to £350. Same thing happened with my phone contract. Funny how that works! Always worth calling about.

Marc Fowler

Go Compare on 15:50 - Jan 16 with 5658 viewssuffolkpoker

the real profit for the companies on compare websites is the renewal as most wont shop around.

Its always worth a look before renewing. Remember sometimes cheaper to go direct to the insurer and avoid the middle man.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Go Compare on 15:56 - Jan 16 with 5625 viewsElderGrizzly

Similar with home insurance. Halved this years by doing a comparison and even got better cover.

Do it every year with car insurance too, as companies appear to put prices up for no reason so switch each time
Go Compare on 16:10 - Jan 16 with 5594 viewsElderGrizzly

Go Compare on 15:50 - Jan 16 by MarcFowler

I got a quote for something like £600 for the year, and I was like hell no that's too high. So I called to cancel it because I was going somewhere else who quoted me £350, and magically enough, there was a discount available on my account that took my amount to £350. Same thing happened with my phone contract. Funny how that works! Always worth calling about.

When they’ve then lowered it after I call to cancel, i always just tell them no & if it was available at that price they should have offered it in first place.

Greedy b@stards
Go Compare on 16:17 - Jan 16 with 5567 viewsBigalhunter

You'll probably find esure were cheaper as a completely new policy on gocompare.
I had this discussion with esure last year.
Their postal renewal quote was £70 more than an identical new policy with them on moneysupermarket.
Rather than just match their on-line quote, they wanted me to cancel the existing policy & start an identical new one through the comparison site.
Told them to ram it, went with Churchill and got a well cool stuffed bulldog to boot.

Go Compare on 16:23 - Jan 16 with 5542 viewsRadlett_blue

Go Compare on 15:56 - Jan 16 by ElderGrizzly

Similar with home insurance. Halved this years by doing a comparison and even got better cover.

Do it every year with car insurance too, as companies appear to put prices up for no reason so switch each time

Since the advent of direct insurers & the internet, what most home & auto companies do is offer a tempting price for new customers & then up the premium by 20% or so next year as some customers don't notice, especially if they've unwisely ticket the box for auto renewal. This model relies heavily on customer inertia. Of course, the companies also build up little brand loyalty.
A couple of years ago, my insurer did this to me. So I went on a comparison site & found that the best offer was....from my current insurer! Made for an interesting phone call, but most companies will drop their renewal price massively if you are prepared to shop around a little & haggle.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Go Compare on 16:23 - Jan 16 with 5539 viewsSWGF

Go Compare on 16:17 - Jan 16 by Bigalhunter

You'll probably find esure were cheaper as a completely new policy on gocompare.
I had this discussion with esure last year.
Their postal renewal quote was £70 more than an identical new policy with them on moneysupermarket.
Rather than just match their on-line quote, they wanted me to cancel the existing policy & start an identical new one through the comparison site.
Told them to ram it, went with Churchill and got a well cool stuffed bulldog to boot.

Same with Direct Line home insurance. Their renewal went up. Compared and they were cheapest but couldn't do it via my existing policy, so had to cancel it and redo it.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Go Compare on 16:28 - Jan 16 with 5530 viewsDubtractor

What was the issue with i supply?

Changed to them 6 months ago and had no problems as yet - plus checked online before switching and saw nothing too concerning.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Go Compare on 16:29 - Jan 16 with 5525 viewsitfcjoe

I think for the last 6 years I've just flipped between the same 2 insurance companies (Swift Cover and Churchill), they both try it on at renewal every year and when I do the comparison sites the other comes out cheaper.

They then try and match it but can't, and then miraculously can the following year

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 16:30]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Go Compare on 17:51 - Jan 16 with 5413 viewsfactual_blue

Go Compare on 16:23 - Jan 16 by SWGF

Same with Direct Line home insurance. Their renewal went up. Compared and they were cheapest but couldn't do it via my existing policy, so had to cancel it and redo it.

Inertia selling, innit.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Go Compare on 17:57 - Jan 16 with 5403 viewsClapham_Junction

I get some really odd results when I use comparison websites for car insurance. When I moved to London midway through one of my premiums, it was bumped up from around £170 to around £300 by the insurer. However, now whenever I search on one of those sites all the quotes come in at well over a grand. As a result I've had to stick with the same insurer ever since I moved here.
Go Compare on 18:06 - Jan 16 with 5373 viewsstrikalite

As we're on the subject, did you know that your quote will be cheaper if you say your car is kept on the driveway overnight as opposed to garaged? Incredibly...
Go Compare on 18:12 - Jan 16 with 5366 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Like a few folks on here have said, it's also worth checking how much your current insurer would quote a new customer with the same details.

I've had my car insurance with Quote Me Happy for a number of years and it suddenly jumped up £100 last year, so I went down the price comparison route. I was all ready to go with eSure, then out of curiosity, I went back to Quote Me Happy to get a fresh quote, and found the price was not only cheaper than eSure, but cheaper than my renewal quote. Way to reward loyal customers.

I let my existing insurance policy lapse and started a new one with exactly the same details. Saved myself £110. For nothing other than not auto-renewing it.
Go Compare on 18:13 - Jan 16 with 5360 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Go Compare on 16:29 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

I think for the last 6 years I've just flipped between the same 2 insurance companies (Swift Cover and Churchill), they both try it on at renewal every year and when I do the comparison sites the other comes out cheaper.

They then try and match it but can't, and then miraculously can the following year

On the theme of historic thieves.....I get my electricity from Robin Hood !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Renewal also due soon on 18:17 - Jan 16 with 5338 viewsPendejo

Current Insurer wanted to increase monthly premium by £30.

Went on all the comparison sights then went on Admiral's own site and found it cheaper there, still going to be more expensive than last year but a lot less than current insurers wanted.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Go Compare on 18:19 - Jan 16 with 5333 viewsPinewoodblue

Nothing wrong with RIAS trading name of Ageas, who were previously known as Fortis. Belgian company.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Go Compare on 19:01 - Jan 16 with 5273 viewsVic

Yep, agree with that. I saved over £350 on my buildings and contents insurance this year.

On the flip side, I’ve never been able to beat my Direct Line car insurance on one of those websites.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Go Compare on 20:26 - Jan 16 with 5188 viewsFreddy

Go Compare on 16:29 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

Same for me, switch every couple of years or so then switch back
Go Compare on 20:41 - Jan 16 with 5164 viewsBurwell_Blue

Went through quidco and got cashback I hope!
Go Compare on 20:47 - Jan 16 with 5143 viewsSwansea_Blue

Go Compare on 17:51 - Jan 16 by factual_blue

Inertia selling, innit.

Nah, I think they're talking about insurance not inertia

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Go Compare on 20:54 - Jan 16 with 5123 viewsBloomBlue

Don't forget sites like Go compare don't check all insurance companies. They almost saved me £106 last year, but before I clicked accept thought I would check Directline (not included in Go Compare) and saved myself £138 so an extra £32
Go Compare on 22:06 - Jan 16 with 5065 viewsgtsb1966

I refuse to use Go Compare simply because I don't want to be partly responsible for keeping that fat singing tosser and he's awful jingle on the tele for another ten years.
Go Compare on 09:36 - Jan 17 with 4904 viewsHeathlander

Go Compare on 16:28 - Jan 16 by Dubtractor

What was the issue with i supply?

Changed to them 6 months ago and had no problems as yet - plus checked online before switching and saw nothing too concerning.

Have a look at trust pilot and ignore the good reviews which are one liners from people with only one review :)

It's a long story. I changed my mothers account to them as they were cheap. All OK until she passed away. Had nightmare trying to close account, speak to anyone, rude customer service, changed account to my name without my permission, threatened to go to bayliffs, couldn't give me a final account, ignored emails, called me a liar, sent me 20 emails in one day about the same thing. I could go on. Worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. Then they just went quiet. Heard nothing more from them in months. Never did pay what they said I owed them even though I didn't.
Go Compare on 14:05 - Jan 17 with 4807 viewsTractorWood

Always worth checking on uswitch for gas and electricity too. I saved around £200 last year by downloading the app and spending 5 minutes putting in details. Think I switched from e.on to EDF.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024