Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Neighbour issue 10:39 - Mar 20 with 10131 viewsFixed_It

Right - I have an issue with next door and thought I'd get the advice of the TWTD collective. I don't really speak to next door. They tend to keep themselves to themselves, which suits me really.
However, I was out walking my dogs the other day and a woman I know told me that as she was walking past the back of my house (we back onto a Bridleway) our neighbour threw two large bags of rubbish over their back fence into the undergrowth about 10 metres from the Bridleway. When I got back, it is clear that the bags were full of food waste and that the foxes had been into the bags and made a right mess with takeaway cartons etc all over the place. This morning I cleared up the mess and put it into a couple of new bin bags. Any sensible suggestions what I should do next?
People dropping litter is one of my pet hates...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Neighbour issue on 10:41 - Mar 20 with 8046 viewsusm

Speak to your neighbour

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Neighbour issue on 10:41 - Mar 20 with 8044 viewsLord_Lucan

Empty the whole lot over his garden.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Neighbour issue on 10:42 - Mar 20 with 8031 viewsBlueSpark

Call the council.
Neighbour issue on 10:44 - Mar 20 with 8019 viewsGuthrum

CCTV. Incredibly cheap nowadays, effectively a go-pro linked to your phone. Then you have incontrovertible evidence.

Also, don't know if insurance companies give discounts for having that kind of stuff.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Neighbour issue on 10:46 - Mar 20 with 7998 viewsKeno

easy

you need 10ft fences either side of the bridleway topped with heavy duty barbed wire, with motion sensitive search lights and CCTV camera's

Then if anything comes over you have a record of it and can go and post the litter back through the letter box of the offender

Sorted

Next!!

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Neighbour issue on 10:51 - Mar 20 with 7978 viewsconnorscontract

I'd leave it and wait and watch to see if it happens again.

If you speak they may apologise or may deny it or may get angry.

They may up their anti-social behaviour in response.

So say nothing. If it happens again just drop it back over their fence. And repeat. It will become easier for them to use their bins after the 17th time.
Neighbour issue on 10:55 - Mar 20 with 7952 viewsGeoffSentence

Surely the person who witnessed the deed should do something about it. You only have second hand knowledge of what happened. The witness should talk to the perpetrator and if they're no joy, speak to 'The Man'

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Neighbour issue on 10:57 - Mar 20 with 7944 viewsBloomBlue

Get the local hunt in that will sort out the fox problem
Login to get fewer ads

Neighbour issue on 11:06 - Mar 20 with 7914 viewshampstead_blue

Don't confront them.

Call the council, report fly tipping.

If you talk to them you cannot win and they will instantly play the victim.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Neighbour issue on 11:08 - Mar 20 with 7904 viewshype313

Have you fixed it?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Neighbour issue on 12:56 - Mar 20 with 7665 viewsOxford_Blue

I would think carefully before telling the council. Not only will it inflame the situation and might have unpredictable results, since these people may seek revenge, the bigger problem is that you will have to declare the issue if you sell your property (assuming you own it). There is a specific part of the Sellers Property Information Form that deals with it. It could affect your ability to sell.

I would speak to them calmly and see what effect it hasn’t. Keep your options open. If you need to escalate then you can.
Neighbour issue on 13:02 - Mar 20 with 7644 viewsJimmyJazz

Call your local Indian takeaway, order and pay for a small banquet of food under the guise of your neighbor. When it arrives and the delivery guy says it all paid for, he'll probably take it - being a bad un. Later that night, or next day he'll need to dispose of all the smelly cartons and uneaten food so will repeat the clever trick he tried out the previous occasion. That's when you catch him red handed

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Neighbour issue on 13:07 - Mar 20 with 7620 viewsChondzoresk

I used to have a neighbour problem, loud music, dogs etc......not now. Me and Mrs Chondzoresk knocked on their door, gave em what for. Stuck a few 'f's in..well she did...and haven't had a problem since. Stand up to em. Fight fire with fire. They will get the message not to mess.
Neighbour issue on 13:09 - Mar 20 with 7609 viewsHerbivore

Just talk to them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Neighbour issue on 14:05 - Mar 20 with 7469 viewsMattinLondon

Personally I’ll install some good and concealable CCTV and wait and see if your neighbours do it again. If they do then next time you see them tell them that someone is trying to make trouble by making up accusations of fly tipping. Tell them that you don’t believe it but you have CCTV anyway.

Chuck all their litter back.

I’ll doubt if they will say anything and will be too paranoid to do anything else.
Neighbour issue on 14:06 - Mar 20 with 7461 viewsHARRY10

tell them not to issue you with anything ekse
Neighbour issue on 14:53 - Mar 20 with 7393 viewsDebsyAngel

Neighbour issue on 13:07 - Mar 20 by Chondzoresk

I used to have a neighbour problem, loud music, dogs etc......not now. Me and Mrs Chondzoresk knocked on their door, gave em what for. Stuck a few 'f's in..well she did...and haven't had a problem since. Stand up to em. Fight fire with fire. They will get the message not to mess.

We have had 6 years of hell with ours. They are both so bloody childish - start up on us with loud music, whamming doors, cupboards. Their kid is a little sod and the dog nearly made me have a breakdown last year how noisy it was and being left alone to howl.

No use talking to them - they just do it MORE. He is an absolute waste of space and a drug dealer as well - I so want to involve the police, but it's obvious who has reported him if I do.

If we had the money to move, we would, then they would win again.

You have my sympathies.
Neighbour issue on 15:01 - Mar 20 with 7371 viewsfooters

Neighbour issue on 14:53 - Mar 20 by DebsyAngel

We have had 6 years of hell with ours. They are both so bloody childish - start up on us with loud music, whamming doors, cupboards. Their kid is a little sod and the dog nearly made me have a breakdown last year how noisy it was and being left alone to howl.

No use talking to them - they just do it MORE. He is an absolute waste of space and a drug dealer as well - I so want to involve the police, but it's obvious who has reported him if I do.

You have my sympathies.

Sounds awful. My mum just got rid of her neighbours from hell a few weeks ago. They were acting very much like you describe (in fact, I wondered if my mum had an account on here reading it!), always bringing police to the door, causing a scene.

Thankfully, my mum knows the landlord and was able to get them evicted that way. Any chance you could do the same?

Once they were turfed out the bloke text my mum that his girlfriend had killed herself as a result, and he hoped that she was happy. Cue my mum ringing around hospitals etc to find out if it was true. Of course it wasn't. Idiots.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Neighbour issue on 15:09 - Mar 20 with 7336 viewsLord_Lucan

Neighbour issue on 14:53 - Mar 20 by DebsyAngel

You have my sympathies.

I'm sorry to hear that, must be awful.

Looking back to when I had my first house I was a nightmare (without thinking). We constantly had music up to Spinal Tap volumes all night, we even had a drum kit at one point. I feel quite ashamed about it now.

My late Mother in Laws neighbour kept snakes and bred mice to feed it, at one point her house was infested with mice because of next door. The bloke used to beat his wife and kids as well and she could hear it all, after talking with social services she made an official complaint in the knowledge that it would be confidential but you can guess what happened, he sussed it immediately. I was having a sunshine beer in Camden when it kicked off and I had to hotfoot it back to Ipswich in case it went nuclear.

Eventually social services got very involved because of the kids and after a lot of time and effort they found a new house in Thetford for the girl and kids and moved them all there - complete with house contents - while the bloke was out. Within a month or so they were back together.

I've rambled on a bit haven't I......................depressing and annoying situation.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Neighbour issue on 15:15 - Mar 20 with 7313 viewsDebsyAngel

Neighbour issue on 15:01 - Mar 20 by footers

Sounds awful. My mum just got rid of her neighbours from hell a few weeks ago. They were acting very much like you describe (in fact, I wondered if my mum had an account on here reading it!), always bringing police to the door, causing a scene.

Thankfully, my mum knows the landlord and was able to get them evicted that way. Any chance you could do the same?

Once they were turfed out the bloke text my mum that his girlfriend had killed herself as a result, and he hoped that she was happy. Cue my mum ringing around hospitals etc to find out if it was true. Of course it wasn't. Idiots.

They OWN their house. Of course. We only rent ours and our agency "cannot do anything" about it.

He has just put his music on SO loud that's it's hard to focus on stuff. Yet we cause them no problems - we are quiet, and only real "noise" is household stuff like vacuum, washing machine etc.

Glad your mum got rid of hers. If only the law could change and a zero tolerance was taken. Sick of being told to "talk to them" or mediation.
Neighbour issue on 15:25 - Mar 20 with 7284 viewsStirlingArcher

Reported our neighbours to the council for the absurdly loud music from the garage whilst weightlifting and the dropping of weights that sound like a drill site.
noise stopped

got a lovely visit from the neighbour flashing the letter in my face saying (rather accusingly) do you know anything about this?

nowadays, the music is quieter, the banging is still the same

we talk, as it's never been confirmed we did it, and i think he knew he was taking the p1ss...

that aussie soap really nailed it with their theme tune though...

everybody needs good neighbours.
Neighbour issue on 16:27 - Mar 20 with 7204 viewsDebsyAngel

Neighbour issue on 15:09 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

I'm sorry to hear that, must be awful.

Looking back to when I had my first house I was a nightmare (without thinking). We constantly had music up to Spinal Tap volumes all night, we even had a drum kit at one point. I feel quite ashamed about it now.

My late Mother in Laws neighbour kept snakes and bred mice to feed it, at one point her house was infested with mice because of next door. The bloke used to beat his wife and kids as well and she could hear it all, after talking with social services she made an official complaint in the knowledge that it would be confidential but you can guess what happened, he sussed it immediately. I was having a sunshine beer in Camden when it kicked off and I had to hotfoot it back to Ipswich in case it went nuclear.

Eventually social services got very involved because of the kids and after a lot of time and effort they found a new house in Thetford for the girl and kids and moved them all there - complete with house contents - while the bloke was out. Within a month or so they were back together.

I've rambled on a bit haven't I......................depressing and annoying situation.

Jesus, that is terrible.

I have had extremely bad luck with bad neighbours, even when living with my parents. We had all sorts of scum on one side, the worst one being a druggie, beating his wife and kids, and dogs - we could hear him kicking the dogs around a room and the noise was heartbreaking.

He was found out to be a murderer as well - remember the body in the boot case from a few years back? That was him.

We saved his wife's life when we could hear him throttling her, and the police were called and kicked the door down to get him at 5 in the morning. Yet she had a huge argument with us accusing us of causing trouble for them.
Neighbour issue on 16:35 - Mar 20 with 7178 viewschicoazul

Neighbour issue on 15:15 - Mar 20 by DebsyAngel

They OWN their house. Of course. We only rent ours and our agency "cannot do anything" about it.

He has just put his music on SO loud that's it's hard to focus on stuff. Yet we cause them no problems - we are quiet, and only real "noise" is household stuff like vacuum, washing machine etc.

Glad your mum got rid of hers. If only the law could change and a zero tolerance was taken. Sick of being told to "talk to them" or mediation.

As you rent I'd move if I was you brother. They wont have "won" if you do. Imagine if you moved somewhere nice and peaceful away from them, it would add years to your life. I know it's hard to save a deposit for the next place, moving costs etc but it's only money and the peace of mind you would get would be life-changing. Good luck.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Neighbour issue on 18:53 - Mar 20 with 7019 viewsDebsyAngel

Neighbour issue on 16:35 - Mar 20 by chicoazul

As you rent I'd move if I was you brother. They wont have "won" if you do. Imagine if you moved somewhere nice and peaceful away from them, it would add years to your life. I know it's hard to save a deposit for the next place, moving costs etc but it's only money and the peace of mind you would get would be life-changing. Good luck.

It is something I think we need to do but sadly it will not be for a long time as all our money is going into our wedding in May this year. I have a few health issues and the stress of moving would just be too much at this time. It would be easier if they went but I cannot ever see it happening.
Neighbour issue on 20:21 - Mar 20 with 6915 viewsLord_Lucan

Neighbour issue on 18:53 - Mar 20 by DebsyAngel

It is something I think we need to do but sadly it will not be for a long time as all our money is going into our wedding in May this year. I have a few health issues and the stress of moving would just be too much at this time. It would be easier if they went but I cannot ever see it happening.

I know you won't consider it but it seems to me you should postpone the wedding and move - put your health first.

You will both be happier.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024