Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised 09:18 - Mar 22 with 2578 viewsDanFord

Whilst there is plenty of merited criticism of our owner, it strikes me that there is one very huge positive about him that he may not even realise could hold the answer to our revival. There are so many lower league managers that could go into teams like Forest, Birmingham, Leeds or Sunderland and be swallowed up. But the Portman Road setup under Evans would be ideal for a manager like Ainsworth, Jones or Cowley to come into and know that they had time to fully implement their ideas and culture without fear of being axed if there was a dip in results. At most clubs I don't feel they could really get their DNA entwined with the club without cutting corners or making sacrifices but here I think both Evans and the fans would be hugely supportive. Hopefully this is not lost on Evans and he sees the opportunity to bring in a manager who can make a real change.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:25 - Mar 22 with 2533 viewsBlueBadger

You do know he'll just employ one of Harry Redknapp's mates, right?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:33 - Mar 22 with 2512 viewsHerbivore

I like your optimism, however prior to Mick, ME booted out three managers each with less than 2 years in charge under him. Admittedly they didn't get binned at the first sign of a dip, however ME's patience hasn't been limitless and Mick had to achieve quite a lot to earn that loyalty. The other issue is whether the kind of managers you mention have the knowledge or experience to essentially run the entire footballing side of the club. ME and Milne know less about football than half the posters on here and Mick oversees almost everything football related. Doing that at this level is no easy task.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:36 - Mar 22 with 2495 viewsBlueBadger

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:33 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

I like your optimism, however prior to Mick, ME booted out three managers each with less than 2 years in charge under him. Admittedly they didn't get binned at the first sign of a dip, however ME's patience hasn't been limitless and Mick had to achieve quite a lot to earn that loyalty. The other issue is whether the kind of managers you mention have the knowledge or experience to essentially run the entire footballing side of the club. ME and Milne know less about football than half the posters on here and Mick oversees almost everything football related. Doing that at this level is no easy task.

If anything, ME was far too patient with at least one of his managers..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:36 - Mar 22 with 2498 viewsArnieM

Good post Dan. Your observations will probably not be lost on many within the game either. At Ipswich, the manager gets time to do his job and is left to get on with it. Sadly Mick, for all his experience in the game could only take us so far. The irony is he has assembled a half decent squad - most of the influential ones being injured all season , but his Achilles heel is that he is too blinkered in his ways to get the best out of his squad. This is why he has stalled in progressing any further.

I’m looking forward to seeing what a more adventurous manager will get out of this squad and with a little money , be able to add to it.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:37 - Mar 22 with 2496 viewsbluewein

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:25 - Mar 22 by BlueBadger

Or Harry himself...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 10:07 - Mar 22 with 2434 viewsRadlett_blue

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:33 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

The Evans "plan", such as it was, was to employ a manger with a track record of getting a club into the PL & keeping it there, give him some money & let him get on with it.
For various reasons, it was a complete disaster. The biggest issue IMO was letting Keane change almost all the other staff, ripping out the fabric of the club. I would like to see a new manager or coach, possibly working with a Director of Football & an overall philosophy of passing football running through the club.
Of course, if this didn't work in the short term, there would be huge agitation for change.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 10:16 - Mar 22 with 2414 viewsCheltenham_Blue

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:25 - Mar 22 by BlueBadger

Calling Steve Cotterill......
Steve Cotterill to the owners office please.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 10:41 - Mar 22 with 2379 viewsITFC_Forever

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:36 - Mar 22 by BlueBadger

You spelt "all" wrongly.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 10:43 - Mar 22 with 2374 viewsconnorscontract

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 09:36 - Mar 22 by BlueBadger

And too impatient with Jim.
One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 11:04 - Mar 22 with 2334 viewsGuthrum

Altho there is one big area of 'cutting corners or making sacrifices' which these managers will have to face - that of not being able to spend to at least the average level in the division. They are unlikely to be able to seriously compete for players they want. They will have to go for freebies, loans and trying to get much lower division footballers (even League One clubs nowadays demand big fees for their most promising men) working in the Championship.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 12:36 - Mar 22 with 2211 viewsWBBlue18

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 11:04 - Mar 22 by Guthrum

Altho there is one big area of 'cutting corners or making sacrifices' which these managers will have to face - that of not being able to spend to at least the average level in the division. They are unlikely to be able to seriously compete for players they want. They will have to go for freebies, loans and trying to get much lower division footballers (even League One clubs nowadays demand big fees for their most promising men) working in the Championship.

I wonder if the change that the Club is alluding to would be MM moving to director of football doing all the deals etc. in the background (which he seems to be good at) with a new fresh face left to coach and run the team with a better brand of "modern" football with associated tactics?

i.e. changing the structure so as to keep MM at the club (which ME appears to want) but appeasing the fans by having a young fresh (local?) face.

Not sure where this would leave TC. I suspect without a job, which could be a problem for MM....
One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 13:01 - Mar 22 with 2151 viewsPilgrimblue

One plus point Evans has and may not have even realised on 12:36 - Mar 22 by WBBlue18

I wonder if the change that the Club is alluding to would be MM moving to director of football doing all the deals etc. in the background (which he seems to be good at) with a new fresh face left to coach and run the team with a better brand of "modern" football with associated tactics?

i.e. changing the structure so as to keep MM at the club (which ME appears to want) but appeasing the fans by having a young fresh (local?) face.

Not sure where this would leave TC. I suspect without a job, which could be a problem for MM....

Moving Mick to Director would be a complete disaster. He would interfere at every opportunity and dictate who comes and goes so you'd have new manager trying to play his style with Mick's men.
I'd imagine that any decent manager would want his players found by his contacts and scouts, hopefully not Irish! We've already seen Mick extend Skuse contract without good reason other than it was his choice. Could so easily taken up year option! And then moving McDonnell out when waiting until end of season would have been more sensible. Not bothered about loan players as they'll go back in May.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024