Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
California 08:46 - Jun 1 with 4579 viewsArgyle_blue

My children have persuaded me to take them to California on holiday - not my first choice of holiday destination. We are starting in LA and driving to San Francisco to include a visit to Yosemite. Two things - any advice for Yosemite trips - 2/3 days max - and any tips for what to see on the way - as far as possible want to avoid 'big ticket' stuff and see more of natural California which I'm sure is amazing if you know where to find it.
California on 08:50 - Jun 1 with 4568 viewswkj

Not sure how old your kids are, but if they enjoy the great out doors and are over 21 - the California vineyards are some remarkable scenery, produce, and of course wine- really is very decadent.

There is no end of things to do and see in San Francisco

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/cali this article highlights some of the best vineyard tours

The sierra foothills north east of Sacramento is sublime and stunning too.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2018 8:51]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

California on 08:51 - Jun 1 with 4552 viewsfactual_blue

California on 08:50 - Jun 1 by wkj

Not sure how old your kids are, but if they enjoy the great out doors and are over 21 - the California vineyards are some remarkable scenery, produce, and of course wine- really is very decadent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/cali this article highlights some of the best vineyard tours

And, whilst a 'big ticket' attraction, Alcatraz is a fantastic day out.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

California on 08:53 - Jun 1 with 4544 viewswkj

California on 08:51 - Jun 1 by factual_blue

And, whilst a 'big ticket' attraction, Alcatraz is a fantastic day out.

Very much like visiting Wembley for a match on the tube, easy to get in, a pain to get out of

Crybaby

California on 08:54 - Jun 1 with 4533 viewsBackToRussia

The social club is a must do, I suppose.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

California on 08:55 - Jun 1 with 4527 viewswkj

California on 08:54 - Jun 1 by BackToRussia

The social club is a must do, I suppose.

after visiting there the Grill is usually a must visit location

Crybaby

California on 09:06 - Jun 1 with 4493 viewsfloridaboy

Do the hop on hop off bus tour in San Francisco, great way to see the sights and Get a ride over the golden gate bridge included.

Also in Yosemite go up to glacier point. Absolutely stunning!!

There is also a guided tour in Yosemite which we found really informative which included quite a few photo stops
California on 09:10 - Jun 1 with 4479 viewsBangor31

the place to see grizzly bears is closed still as of 1 week ago, which is a bummer such brilliant beasts to see. Yosemite has nearly everything from fishing to hiking, mountains, tree, plains etc.
see yosemite waterfall which is near the main village in the valley. agree with Napa and co for wine, also some good micro breweries up there inc Lagunitas.

LA is a hole and hate it there but they have a handful of good stuff to see, the observatory might be good for kids depending on age.

are you going up route 1? if so maybe boat out to the channel islands, on the trip you'll see dolphins, otters, seal, and maybe some whales.

agree in SF do Alcatraz
California on 09:13 - Jun 1 with 4467 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Don't leave any food in the car, it's true about the bears!(they even advise women to take a tablet to suppress bleeding during periods if camping or walking in remote parts!) Yosemite is a lot bigger than the honeypot where the tourists are encouraged to stay, it is however truely spectacular and likely to be much busier than the early spring when we were there.
Also Big Sur is worth a visit.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

California on 09:14 - Jun 1 with 4464 viewsTractorFactor

Yosemite is awesome. Hire some bikes and cycle around the valley - easy to do and great fun. Definitely go to one of the Sequoia groves - truly impressive trees!

We stayed in a lodge/motel just outside the park gates which was decent enough and had a pook etc and was quite a bit cheaper than being in the park itself, but we were on a budget!

Keep an eye out for the bears.
California on 09:17 - Jun 1 with 4456 viewshomer_123

LA is a cess pit - honestly, I'd avoid if poss - get outside of this up to San Fran way way better.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

California on 09:21 - Jun 1 with 4438 viewsbluefunk

Depending on when you are going, Highway One may be closed in parts, if it’s open , drive that between LA and San Francisco, and take your time doing it. Theres plenty of opportunity to park up and walk trails to some wonderful views, and needn’t cost the earth to stay in some of the towns on the way. The alternative direct route is mind numbingly boring.
California on 09:23 - Jun 1 with 4434 viewsSwansea_Blue

Check whether the coast road around Big Sur is open. That’s presumably a potential route you’re considering (it’s the classic tour), but has been closed because of a landslide. At least it was last summer when we were there.

Book accommodation around Yosemite early (you mostly have to stay outside and drive in, unless on an official campsite). It’s awesome. You could just do a couple of short walks, picnic, swim in the river.

If you/your kids like aquariums, Monterey Bay is awesome. I’m a bit of a fish nut and it’s one of the iconic ones - loved it. You can hire kayaks at Monterey too and paddle round the bay surrounded by seals.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

California on 09:24 - Jun 1 with 4427 viewsStokieBlue

If you don't want to drive up to Yosemite then Sequoia national park is also very good indeed.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

California on 09:28 - Jun 1 with 4408 viewsArgyle_blue

California on 09:06 - Jun 1 by floridaboy

Do the hop on hop off bus tour in San Francisco, great way to see the sights and Get a ride over the golden gate bridge included.

Also in Yosemite go up to glacier point. Absolutely stunning!!

There is also a guided tour in Yosemite which we found really informative which included quite a few photo stops

Thanks Florida - don't suppose you can remember which Yosemite trip you did?
California on 09:30 - Jun 1 with 4400 viewsArgyle_blue

California on 08:50 - Jun 1 by wkj

Children are 13 and 11 so wine tours are out unless I can find a theme park to leave them for the day! sierra foothills sound good - I'll take a look - thanks
California on 09:32 - Jun 1 with 4398 viewsArgyle_blue

California on 09:17 - Jun 1 by homer_123

LA is a cess pit - honestly, I'd avoid if poss - get outside of this up to San Fran way way better.

Never been keen on LA - I've found an air b n b in Glendale with horses etc so hopefully it will be slightly different experience.
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:40 - Jun 1 with 4381 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

California on 08:53 - Jun 1 by wkj

Very much like visiting Wembley for a match on the tube, easy to get in, a pain to get out of

Well it is a prison
[Post edited 1 Jun 2018 9:41]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

California on 10:55 - Jun 1 with 4269 viewsRadlett_blue

Mariposa grove of giant sequoia.
Hearst Castle.
Santa Barbara.
Monterey.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

California on 20:20 - Jun 1 with 4093 viewsArgyle_blue

Thanks a lot for all the amazing suggestions. Feeling a bit more positive about it. Appreciate it.
California on 20:41 - Jun 1 with 4067 viewsfloridaboy

California on 09:28 - Jun 1 by Argyle_blue

Thanks Florida - don't suppose you can remember which Yosemite trip you did?

Th ink there is only one. Also another must is Carmel and the 17 mile drive.

Not only see some stunning homes but can visit Pebble Beach golf club which you can go into and stand on the balcony overlooking the 18th greenm

The drive up the Pacific highway from LA to San Francisco is amazing. The coastline has to be seen!

Good luck with the planing
California on 20:47 - Jun 1 with 4058 viewsnc41

Agree on the Sierra hills. I actually love the Sacramento/Yuba area.

Think you now have to book a trip to Alcatraz in advance; may want to check that out. It certainly was when I was last there, but may have changed.

As for free/inexpensive things to do in SF. If the kids are into Star wars and stuff like that the Lucas film headquarters is worth a visit. Golden gate park is worth an hour of your time - there is a cool concrete slide there and loads of kids stuff.

SF bay area itself will keep you occupied. There unusual stores, ships you can explore and a mirror maze that my the young son managed to almost knock himself out in. It's a nice area; you will enjoy it way more than you are expecting.

Sausalito is a nice part of SF and not so touristy.
California on 21:34 - Jun 1 with 4014 viewsVic

If you don’t like California head out of town and go to Gainsborough or Nacton area instead.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

California on 22:53 - Jun 1 with 3966 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

California on 20:20 - Jun 1 by Argyle_blue

Thanks a lot for all the amazing suggestions. Feeling a bit more positive about it. Appreciate it.

California is a bit overrated but still good. I'd advise Washington state and the pacific north west for the great outdoors
California on 23:45 - Jun 1 with 3927 viewsCoastalblue

We started in SF and did a big loop last year to finish there and it was the holiday of a lifetime, in fact I'm already trying to work finances to do a repeat trip and spend some additional time in some places.

Highway 1/The Big Sur is jaw dropping, truly. I had to make myself cease stopping every time we we went around a corner to nother amazing vista.

We spent an air bnb night in Baywood Los Osos which was just lovely. Nothing much there aside from a community and a number of "natural sights". Not usual for me but I'd move there tomorrow.

Montaña de Oro State Park is wonderful, but so are many.

Carmel is an experience,a bit surreal and I wouldn't be fussed about going back but really pleased I visited.

Yosemite: avoid a weekend visit if you can, t's incredible but the valley is literally like a car park at the weekend with traffic jams all over.

San Francisco is an great city with lots to see but the Alcatraz trip really is worthwhile, but do book in advance. Lots of great districts to visit including Fisherman's wharf where you get the Alcatraz ferry from.

Someone mentioned Sausolito above, we spent a night there and it's a lovely town and the ferry ride into SF is modest and a lovely way to travel. There are night busses back most of the night.

Do a little research and you could have the trip of a lifetime, I did.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

California on 23:56 - Jun 1 with 3916 viewsbluejake78

It is a shi ..***ehole Oragan please.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024