Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? 12:16 - Jun 16 with 12180 viewsITFC_Forever

What a load of crap.

That’s why VAR can never work in football, even after multiple replays, it’s still an opinion based decision, not a factual one (eg; goal-line technology).

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 17:25 - Jun 16 with 4019 viewsBrixtonBlue

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 16:47 - Jun 16 by Trequartista

It does matter if the player has adjusted himself and then is tripped in a secondary motion, so a penalty for me, but not clear and obvious so a penalty should not have been given. And if that sounds farcical, that's because it is.

For the defender sliding in it is all one motion. If he won the ball it's no pen, whatever happened with their legs subsequently. It's all part of the same tackle.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 17:48 - Jun 16 with 3999 viewsSarge

It's a game killer and needs to be ditched
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 17:53 - Jun 16 with 3981 viewsm14_blue

It's dominating this World Cup at the moment, hopefully will settle down and we can all start talking about the football again.
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 18:12 - Jun 16 with 3958 viewsflimflam

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 17:25 - Jun 16 by BrixtonBlue

For the defender sliding in it is all one motion. If he won the ball it's no pen, whatever happened with their legs subsequently. It's all part of the same tackle.

But he didn't touch the ball which has been proved from numerous replays

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 18:14 - Jun 16 with 3956 viewsfarkenhell

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 16:41 - Jun 16 by Trequartista

That's not VAR, that's goalline technology, a totally different situation.

So you're happy for the game to be stopped for goal-line technology, but not for VAR?

I know it holds the game up, but I'm happy to trade that to allow the referee the opportunity to get a crucial decision correct. Take Peru's penalty for example - incorrect decision first time around but put right by the correct use of VAR. No-one should have any complaints, even the most ardent Danish supporter.

It becomes a problem when the officials incorrectly use VAR - such as the France penalty. There is no way that anyone in their right mind could say the referee made a clear and obvious mistake. The original decision should have stood.
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 18:17 - Jun 16 with 3953 viewsfarkenhell

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 17:48 - Jun 16 by Sarge

It's a game killer and needs to be ditched

I'm sorry, but how can ensuring that an important decision has been made correctly be seen as a game killer?
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 18:22 - Jun 16 with 3942 viewsBackToRussia

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 18:14 - Jun 16 by farkenhell

So you're happy for the game to be stopped for goal-line technology, but not for VAR?

I know it holds the game up, but I'm happy to trade that to allow the referee the opportunity to get a crucial decision correct. Take Peru's penalty for example - incorrect decision first time around but put right by the correct use of VAR. No-one should have any complaints, even the most ardent Danish supporter.

It becomes a problem when the officials incorrectly use VAR - such as the France penalty. There is no way that anyone in their right mind could say the referee made a clear and obvious mistake. The original decision should have stood.

Goal line technology is instant. Maybe quit while you're only this far behind?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:13 - Jun 16 with 3913 viewsfarkenhell

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 18:22 - Jun 16 by BackToRussia

Goal line technology is instant. Maybe quit while you're only this far behind?

OK, I'll give you a better example. 1986 and Maradona's "hand of knob". Surely you would have wanted VAR then?

If you're still not in favour, then I'll give up!
Login to get fewer ads

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:18 - Jun 16 with 3905 viewsBackToRussia

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:13 - Jun 16 by farkenhell

OK, I'll give you a better example. 1986 and Maradona's "hand of knob". Surely you would have wanted VAR then?

It's not about specific decisions, it's about working out a system to fairly review all potentially erroneous decisions. If you can do that without ruining the game then go ahead, but I don't think VAR is the answer. It's currently being used far too ad hoc and chaotically. Calls that should stay on field due them being marginal are being looked at meaning the whole game is potentially in question. Players and fans aren't celebrating properly because every goal is looked at if there's anything at all dubious in the build up.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:27 - Jun 16 with 3889 viewsBrixtonBlue

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 18:12 - Jun 16 by flimflam

But he didn't touch the ball which has been proved from numerous replays

It hasn't been proved.

The ball slightly deviates. It's not 100% clear if he caused that by getting a touch or not, therefore no pen.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:44 - Jun 16 with 3870 viewsTrequartista

You have a point, I have a point. This is the issue for me. It's not clear and obvious.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:51 - Jun 16 with 3859 viewsTrequartista

Yes, one is 99.9999% objective, the other is subjective.

Who decides which penalty decisions are VAR? Denmark have got that penalty but what about the numerous shirt-pulling incidents in the box at set-pieces which are clear and obvious? Do we carry this on until there are 5 penalties in each game. We've had 4 penalties today already. Soon the textbooks will say The Object Of The Game is to gain a penalty to score a goal, rather than to score a goal.

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:54 - Jun 16 with 3854 viewsTrequartista

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:13 - Jun 16 by farkenhell

But that is one incident that is clear and obvious. There are numerous situations that occur. How do you decide if something is clear and obvious. What if it is fairly but not clearly obvious? Who defines this? It just can't work on subjective decisions.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2018 19:55]

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:59 - Jun 16 with 3847 viewsDarkHorse

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:27 - Jun 16 by BrixtonBlue

It hasn't been proved.

The ball slightly deviates. It's not 100% clear if he caused that by getting a touch or not, therefore no pen.

The ball doesn't deviate. Therefore, penalty.
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 20:05 - Jun 16 with 3833 viewsSarge

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 18:17 - Jun 16 by farkenhell

I'm sorry, but how can ensuring that an important decision has been made correctly be seen as a game killer?

Because the game moves on and is then stopped minutes later to review what happened. Goal line technology was essential, VAR is crap.
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 20:38 - Jun 16 with 3802 viewsitfcjoe

Since the first one today I think it has workedquite well - the France Aussie one was too tight to call for me.

Argentina should have had another penalty though, but generally it has worked quite well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 21:02 - Jun 16 with 3784 viewschristiand

Once again that’s your version based on football a decade plus ago, not how a tackle is interpreted in the modern game and how officials are asked to view challenges now.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2018 21:08]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 21:20 - Jun 16 with 3768 viewsITFC_Forever

Goal-line technology is clarified within seconds and the referee’s watch buzzes.... completely different to the shambles that is VAR.

And everyone has seen how accurate the goal-line technology is and it has cut out the arguing on the pitch at a stroke as everyone accepts the buzz (or not) from the ref’s watch.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 21:36 - Jun 16 with 3747 viewsm14_blue

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 20:38 - Jun 16 by itfcjoe

Since the first one today I think it has workedquite well - the France Aussie one was too tight to call for me.

Argentina should have had another penalty though, but generally it has worked quite well

There will be a massive increase in penalties now, with every challenge that could technically be a foul being reviewed and given.

I think that's a massive shame. The glory of football lies in the rarity value of a goal and that is being cheapened immensely.
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 21:38 - Jun 16 with 3742 viewsStokieBlue

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 21:36 - Jun 16 by m14_blue

There will be a massive increase in penalties now, with every challenge that could technically be a foul being reviewed and given.

I think that's a massive shame. The glory of football lies in the rarity value of a goal and that is being cheapened immensely.

The alternative view is that maybe players should stop fouling people in the box?

Didn't even need to VAR the last one it was so ridiculous.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 21:43 - Jun 16 with 3734 viewsgtsb

It should be the same as the cricket reviews. If it's not 100% certain then the original decision stays with the ref.
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 21:45 - Jun 16 with 3729 viewsm14_blue

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 21:38 - Jun 16 by StokieBlue

The alternative view is that maybe players should stop fouling people in the box?

Didn't even need to VAR the last one it was so ridiculous.

SB

Well of course there will always be penalties that are obvious, such as the Nigeria one.

But we're now seeing penalties given for challenges that would never be given as fouls anywhere else on the pitch (without 10 camera angles looking for 'contact').

Players will inevitably seek to take advantage of this.

I said before the start that I feared this tournament would be characterised by soft penalties given through VAR and haven't seen anything yet to suggest I'll be wrong.

It's so hard to score a goal in football, that's what makes it so special when your team does. Although now you can't even celebrate properly until they've reviewed it.

Bah, humbug
Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 23:46 - Jun 16 with 3673 viewsBrixtonBlue

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 19:59 - Jun 16 by DarkHorse

The ball doesn't deviate. Therefore, penalty.

You need to look again/closer. The commentary team thought he got a touch as well.

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 00:32 - Jun 17 with 3650 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Goal line technology is great.

VAR is terrible and will ruin football.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Thought VAR was to correct glaring errors? on 01:20 - Jun 17 with 3628 viewsjjblue84

They should scrap the rubbish technology that is ruining the game and give it back to the referee to be in charge, at least he stands up in front of thousands of people to make his decision instead of hiding away in bunkers !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024