Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
for those of you who coach youth teams 15:47 - Oct 15 with 4829 viewsIllinoisblue

do you show restraint on the sidelines when you score? say, for example,, you had a game yesterday and your U9 team was up 2-0 against a local rival, were pegged back to 2-2, but then scored the winner two minutes from the end.

Would you give a bit of clapping and a thumbs-up to the scorer then then calmly tell the lads to focus on their shape and keep things tight.

or would you throw your clipboard in the air, high-five the subs, and give it a loud "get in there" while jumping up and down?

I'm a little embarrassed to say I was that guy yesterday but it's football, and what is football without emotion?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 15:52 - Oct 15 with 3758 viewsBluefish

I'm a definite A. It has taken a Bit of effort to assess the way I conduct myself of the sidelines and focus on the kids. There are some powerful videos and presentations from the FA

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

for those of you who coach youth teams on 15:55 - Oct 15 with 3737 viewsRobTheMonk

Just loads of positivity; playing at that age should be fun. Make it fun and the kids will want to keep playing.
for those of you who coach youth teams on 15:56 - Oct 15 with 3739 viewsStockholmBlue

Haha, i'm probably somewhere between those alternative. But i would say the older they get the more i move from 1 to 2. My teams are 13 and 11 years old...

Ipswich Town FC since 1981

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:07 - Oct 15 with 3699 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 15:55 - Oct 15 by RobTheMonk

Just loads of positivity; playing at that age should be fun. Make it fun and the kids will want to keep playing.

oh no doubt; we always have fun in practice - lots of crossbar challenges and penalty shootouts! - and while I get at U9 it's not about winning, I want the kids to take it seriously and always give their best. That is, I want them to care.

62 - 78 - 81

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:08 - Oct 15 with 3688 viewsReuser_is_God

You’re in America, the home of the OTT reaction to almost anything.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:10 - Oct 15 with 3668 viewsSwansea_Blue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:08 - Oct 15 by Reuser_is_God

You’re in America, the home of the OTT reaction to almost anything.

My experience is that we're far more intense and competitive here compared to the US when it comes to kids sports. They go overboard on the positivity for sure, but emotions generally run a lot higher here (not necessarily in a good way).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:11 - Oct 15 with 3680 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 15:52 - Oct 15 by Bluefish

I'm a definite A. It has taken a Bit of effort to assess the way I conduct myself of the sidelines and focus on the kids. There are some powerful videos and presentations from the FA

we do talk regularly about being respectful to the opposition, not blaming defeat on the refs, that kind of stuff.

I have learned to keep my mouth shut when blatantly wrong calls go against us. It's hard sometimes but most of our refs are high-school kids getting paid $17. Got to give them some slack.

62 - 78 - 81

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:14 - Oct 15 with 3664 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:10 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

My experience is that we're far more intense and competitive here compared to the US when it comes to kids sports. They go overboard on the positivity for sure, but emotions generally run a lot higher here (not necessarily in a good way).

the biggest problem here is, we get a lot of parents turning up to watch their kids, which is great, but a large number of them don't have a clue about 'soccer'.

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:26 - Oct 15 with 3629 viewsartsbossbeard

I leave the hoopin' and hollerin' to the parents over the other side of the pitch and pull the lads involved in the goal over to myself and my assistant for a high 5.

The coaching courses over here are all based around respect AND the FA are extremely keen to stop match day aggro between coaches and coaches and coaches and parents. Ray Winston tells you off via video on the courses.

As long as the kids enjoy themselves, it's all good.

Any stipulations over the US about the boys/girls and allotted pitch time?

Interestingly, The U9's have a new ruling this year in that if a team turns up with only 7 boys (9 required) and the other team has 11, then the team with 11 give the other team 2 boys to even things up. There's no league winners/losers as such at this age and it's deemed as a "friendly" league.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:30 - Oct 15 with 3603 viewsSwansea_Blue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:14 - Oct 15 by Illinoisblue

the biggest problem here is, we get a lot of parents turning up to watch their kids, which is great, but a large number of them don't have a clue about 'soccer'.

My experience is no doubt limited compared to yours, but yep when we were over there a lot of parents turned up and didn't know a lot. But then they didn't pretend they did either. There was a lot of generic support but you didn't get anywhere near as many armchair Brian Cloughs as we do over here. And I rarely heard open criticism. My sample sizes are pretty limited though!

Edit - in short, what I think I'm trying to say is that I thought it was a much healthier environment for the kids, more supportive, less pressure and less 'interference' from parents. Despite bigger parent turnouts, as you mentioned.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 16:32]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:32 - Oct 15 with 3604 viewsitfcjoe

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:26 - Oct 15 by artsbossbeard

I leave the hoopin' and hollerin' to the parents over the other side of the pitch and pull the lads involved in the goal over to myself and my assistant for a high 5.

The coaching courses over here are all based around respect AND the FA are extremely keen to stop match day aggro between coaches and coaches and coaches and parents. Ray Winston tells you off via video on the courses.

Interestingly, The U9's have a new ruling this year in that if a team turns up with only 7 boys (9 required) and the other team has 11, then the team with 11 give the other team 2 boys to even things up. There's no league winners/losers as such at this age and it's deemed as a "friendly" league.

Does that all work? My boy is only 2 so yet to join a league....and whilst I appreciate there needs to be enjoyment and taking part as they key features, is there a chance it goes a bit too uncompetitive, after all it is sport

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:36 - Oct 15 with 3593 viewsjudespiveyg

As someone who's played in the Saturday morning youth football leagues from U9, I've never minded the coach going a bit OTT after we score, it's nice to know that the manager has some passion for the team, wouldn't go overboard on the criticism though, as most of the opposition players will openly mock you if you give too harsh criticisms to the players or refs.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:38 - Oct 15 with 3584 viewsartsbossbeard

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:32 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

Does that all work? My boy is only 2 so yet to join a league....and whilst I appreciate there needs to be enjoyment and taking part as they key features, is there a chance it goes a bit too uncompetitive, after all it is sport

The non-competitive league stuff for u9s? Kids don't seem to care, they just want to kick a ball and each other.

The coaches (especially the ones whose teams win most matches) tend to swap scores with each other and therefore tally up their own league tables.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:38 - Oct 15 with 3578 viewsReuser_is_God

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:32 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

I tend to agree but I think at U9’s what ABB has said is how it should be.

I think when you get to U11/U12 is when it should start becoming competitive & more like a ‘sport’ - that’s certainly what I found when I was of that age anyway.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:40 - Oct 15 with 3562 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:26 - Oct 15 by artsbossbeard

in the State I'm in, the rules are up through U10 stipulate there are no winners as such. Even in tournaments, everyone gets a participation medal. Throughout the season we do keep score and the results are logged on the governing body's website, but there are no standings or league tables. U11 onward is where it gets real.

As for playing time, I don't think there are any state-wide rules about playing time, but our club insists on equal playing time for all (and I think that even applies up to U13 and beyond). And I'm happy with that even though in our squad of 13 players there are 3 or 4 players who are markedly less competent than the rest. They're just kids, let them play.

62 - 78 - 81

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:44 - Oct 15 with 3534 viewsjudespiveyg

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:38 - Oct 15 by artsbossbeard

The non-competitive league stuff for u9s? Kids don't seem to care, they just want to kick a ball and each other.

The coaches (especially the ones whose teams win most matches) tend to swap scores with each other and therefore tally up their own league tables.

When I played U9 it was still an organised league and I have to say I preferred it like that, it gave us more drive to win and when we did win it meant something, I know U10 and 11 have become friendly leagues as well in recent years which seems strange to me too.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:48 - Oct 15 with 3513 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:30 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

My experience is no doubt limited compared to yours, but yep when we were over there a lot of parents turned up and didn't know a lot. But then they didn't pretend they did either. There was a lot of generic support but you didn't get anywhere near as many armchair Brian Cloughs as we do over here. And I rarely heard open criticism. My sample sizes are pretty limited though!

Edit - in short, what I think I'm trying to say is that I thought it was a much healthier environment for the kids, more supportive, less pressure and less 'interference' from parents. Despite bigger parent turnouts, as you mentioned.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 16:32]

that's interesting. Switching sports to basketball... damn, some of those parents are insane at the older (U13 age group). Constant harassment of refs, yelling at other parents... as always, the parents will ruin it for the kids! I was talking about this stuff to my son's baseball coach and he was saying everyone (parents) should relax as "none of these kids are making it to the major league" - which is probably true as 99.9% of these kids won't have any sort of professional sporting career. But, I said to him, that's precisely why these parents are so into it now. This right here is little Johnny's big moment. And only moment.

62 - 78 - 81

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:51 - Oct 15 with 3496 viewsartsbossbeard

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:40 - Oct 15 by Illinoisblue

in the State I'm in, the rules are up through U10 stipulate there are no winners as such. Even in tournaments, everyone gets a participation medal. Throughout the season we do keep score and the results are logged on the governing body's website, but there are no standings or league tables. U11 onward is where it gets real.

As for playing time, I don't think there are any state-wide rules about playing time, but our club insists on equal playing time for all (and I think that even applies up to U13 and beyond). And I'm happy with that even though in our squad of 13 players there are 3 or 4 players who are markedly less competent than the rest. They're just kids, let them play.

Fair enough and it mirrors what happens over here bar the "equal" time thing.

Our player T&C's mention "fair playing team" rather than "equal playing time", which provides some leeway but I think I'm fair with the boys anyway (well apart from Beard Jnr who tends to suffer from me managing things).

We're u15 now and this is a strange age as the boys are still either really into football or get attracted to other activities. We've lost loads of teams from our league over the summer and whilst we're running 4x divisions, 3 divisions would work so much better.

As we really weren't very good when the boys started at u8's, I put the emphasis on getting the boys playing football properly and not worrying about the results. This has stood us in good stead and we've actually picked up 3 top notch boys this year who were attracted to us because of the footy we play over "better" teams. The ref told me on Saturday that we were the best footballing side he's reffed this season, which was nice.

It's a thankless job at times but most certainly rewarding too.

for those of you who coach youth teams on 17:14 - Oct 15 with 3418 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 16:51 - Oct 15 by artsbossbeard

Fair enough and it mirrors what happens over here bar the "equal" time thing.

Our player T&C's mention "fair playing team" rather than "equal playing time", which provides some leeway but I think I'm fair with the boys anyway (well apart from Beard Jnr who tends to suffer from me managing things).

We're u15 now and this is a strange age as the boys are still either really into football or get attracted to other activities. We've lost loads of teams from our league over the summer and whilst we're running 4x divisions, 3 divisions would work so much better.

As we really weren't very good when the boys started at u8's, I put the emphasis on getting the boys playing football properly and not worrying about the results. This has stood us in good stead and we've actually picked up 3 top notch boys this year who were attracted to us because of the footy we play over "better" teams. The ref told me on Saturday that we were the best footballing side he's reffed this season, which was nice.

It's a thankless job at times but most certainly rewarding too.

it's interesting, the 'debate' over playing to win or playing to develop. A couple teams we play against, their club philosophy is all about foot skills and technique. They lose a lot of games but I'm guessing in a few years time their players will stand out way more. (assuming they haven't got disillusioned with the game)

I would say our club focuses on development and technique but with an edge to it. Our new director of coaching is all about doing everything in practice at game speed.

it definitely can be a thankless task; after a long day at work the last thing you want sometimes is to get out in the cold and wet and try and coach a bunch of kids who won't listen. That said, those magic moments always bring you back. i remember at U6 we had this one kid on the team, kind of chubby and not really mobile, who hadn't scored a goal all season and was pretty down about being the only kid on the team who hadn't scored. Most games it was just his dad there watching but last game of the season his mum, sister, grandparents, they're all there to cheer him on. I tell him to play up front, stay there, and do your best. Kid scores a hat-trick, mum is in tears at the end, kid is smiling like he's never smiled before. That is why we coach.

62 - 78 - 81

for those of you who coach youth teams on 17:33 - Oct 15 with 3369 viewsDurovigutum

Under 9s is non-competitive. Hang your head in shame.
(No subject) (n/t) on 17:50 - Oct 15 with 3324 viewschicoazul

Where do you find the guts to do that, i'd be crapping myself that one of the other Dads would pull a Glock on me in your position.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 17:51]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 18:09 - Oct 15 with 3260 viewschristiand

That’s just embarrassing really and nothing to do with the development of the children as footballers. To me, that’s personal gratification. They’re normally the coaches that turn into total tw*ts as their side gets older and the leagues become more competitive as it’s about winning for them and not improving the team through good football and tactics. Sad, but the reality in the majority of cases as they massage their egos on the touchline.....it’s all about them!! Show passion yes, but be a positive role model to the children when they play.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 18:19]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

for those of you who coach youth teams on 18:52 - Oct 15 with 3193 viewsWadeyBlue

I was a youth coach for 6 years. There are some coaches who are in it for themselves, but theres more that want the children to enjoy themselves. Which is the right way.

Only thing i shouted was encouragement or well done with a smile and a thumbs up. Also would congrat both goalies if they made saves.

Parents are what ruins youth football. Ive seen a few kids give up because their mum or dad is continually shouting. Also had a word with a few parents when their kid gets upset and wants to come off because of the parents behaviour.

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

for those of you who coach youth teams on 19:04 - Oct 15 with 3167 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who coach youth teams on 17:33 - Oct 15 by Durovigutum

Under 9s is non-competitive. Hang your head in shame.

With hindsight I wasn't very proud, but I'm certainly not ashamed. If it's truly "non-competitive" why bother having goals or refs or keeping score. Why not get all the players huddled around the center circle for an hour-long group hug and then hand out medals at the end to everyone.

62 - 78 - 81

for those of you who coach youth teams on 19:42 - Oct 15 with 3102 viewsitfcjoe

I've not experienced it, and have bad memories of being an unused sub for the A team and getting my £1 subs back as we lost a top of the table clash 2-1 and I didn't come on.

After getting 10-15 minutes a week I went down to the B team to play a Cup game and just never went back which p155ed my manager off even though I never played!

But I don't really get a non-competitive league, would it not be better to have bigger clubs with training games to really improve? I'm sure I'll find all this out in a few years time, and no doubt will be involved and running a team myself!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024