Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. 15:28 - Nov 9 with 6679 viewsmonytowbray

A few (but not many) of you may know that when I was 16 I got an American girl who lived on RAF Lakenheath pregnant, who was shipped back to live with other family about 4 months gone. After a year or two of staying in touch (this was 2004/05 when social media wasn’t the connection it is now) we fell out and lost touch over some childish BS I can’t even remember. About 5/6 years ago I
made the call based on life experiences and people I know that if she ever wanted to know me or build a relationship she’d be in touch, but it would be her choice off her own back.

Fast forward to early 2016 and I get a message on FB saying “Hi, I think you’re my Dad” and from there it’s progressed to chatting online and her occassionally draining my disposable income for shoes that cost more than most my wardrobe combined. Kids are expensive even if they live 3-4k miles away.

Anyway, back story all laid out, she’s 14 now. I met her for the first time last week and it was amazing. Went on a tour of the AZ Cardinals stadium, went to the Grand Canyon and spent time hanging out. She was okay with vegan burgers and hotdogs but not a fan of scrambled tofu.

The good news for her is she’s not inherited my height but she does have my good looks. The bad news is she’s also inherited my attention span that I’ve always assumed was a form of ADHD (FYI she has been diagnosed with it but in MERICA they love selling people medicine so who knows).

We watched the PNE game together but she struggled to be interested (because let’s face it, Ipswich isn’t the team to watch for a good game) but I did explain the rules as they applied. Hoping next year I can fly her over to show her the English part of her roots and take her to a game. Perhaps that’ll be the tipping point to get her to follow her birthright as a Town fan.

Here’s a photo...

All the best.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 15:29]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:56 - Nov 9 with 2815 viewsBrixtonBlue

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 15:52 - Nov 9 by monytowbray

I played her my favourite band in the car (newest Single Mothers album, Hardcore Punk) and her only reply was “It sounds weird”.

She did think my studded jacket was cool.

Ironic that you played her a Single Mothers record.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 16:00 - Nov 9 with 2803 viewsSitfcB

tl;dr

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 16:02 - Nov 9 with 2794 viewsCOYBitfc

Fair play fella, wishing you all the best in building an awesome relationship with your daughter in the future.

Poll: Current/prospective ST holders, what scenario will you purchase for next season?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 16:02 - Nov 9 with 2793 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Congrats, a nice good news story for a Friday afternoon.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 16:04 - Nov 9 with 2781 viewsnorth_stand77

Good for you Callis, I was surprised you have a 14 year old tho.

You could be a grandad by your mid thirties you know! 😁

Hope all goes well In the future
I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 17:31 - Nov 9 with 2723 viewsBenters2

Well done buh
I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 20:20 - Nov 9 with 2655 viewsPecker

Good on you. A nice piece of news on here for a change. I hope that you and your daughter have a long and loving relationship.
I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 20:36 - Nov 9 with 2638 viewsevansblue

I don’t know you buddy but that’s a great story and superb photo. Good for you and pleased it’s all going well.
Login to get fewer ads

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 21:42 - Nov 9 with 2595 viewsRob88

She must get her looks from her mother.

Tbf, so that I don’t come across too blunt I echo the sentiment of the other posts.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 21:51]
I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 21:46 - Nov 9 with 2586 viewsBinner

Great Story. Happy for you.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 22:00 - Nov 9 with 2573 viewscaught-in-limbo

You both look genuinely very happy. Great decision on the away shirt for her too.

I'm really happy for both of you.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 22:08 - Nov 9 with 2559 viewsMaySixth

Odd

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 22:09 - Nov 9 with 2557 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Class story, great to hear and good on you, hope you get the chance to see her again soon

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 22:31 - Nov 9 with 2537 viewsCoastalblue

I feel genuinely happy for you and hope you can manage to bring her across the pond for a visit.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 23:07 - Nov 9 with 2509 viewsStokieBlue

That's great news, I'm happy for you both and it's wonderful you'll get the chance to be a father to your daughter and get to know her.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 23:49 - Nov 9 with 2459 viewsstig4532

What an absolutely heartwarming story. Wish you and your loved ones all the best!
Bless you on 00:08 - Nov 10 with 2443 viewsDyland

Fo real :) x

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 02:20 - Nov 10 with 2402 viewsGuthrum

Great stuff Callis.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 08:27 - Nov 10 with 2344 viewsSwailsey

Nice man.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 08:37 - Nov 10 with 2336 viewsDanTheMan

That's a touching story mate. Good on ya.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 08:38 - Nov 10 with 2335 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Awesome story. God for more positive stuff like this on the Forum! Love how something that must have seemed like a bad mistake for so long now must be like the best thing in your life!! Funny how things work out (he says desperately looking for parallels somehow with Ipswich - Hurst maybe has led to us getting Lambert haha...)

Well done fella!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 08:40 - Nov 10 with 2332 viewsMullet

Things work out sometimes eh? Hope you have the adventure of a life time fella.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 12:43 - Nov 10 with 2283 viewsRyorry

Only just opened the thread, owing to the title top! but nice one Callis - tho god help her, she does look like you!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 12:51 - Nov 10 with 2276 viewsGunnsAirkick

Nice one, I'm glad it went well for you. I can't imagine what that must have been like, literally what a trip.

Well done for getting her interested in Town. If you can do that now she'll love it when we're not c**p again!
I went to the United States LOOK AT ME thread. on 12:51 - Nov 10 with 2276 viewsstickymockwell

One of the best stories on TWTD. Nice one Callis.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024