Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert Hmmmmm 20:12 - Apr 22 with 3991 viewsDanish_Blue

I love the syle of football we are playing now . But how long will the fans stick with it. I for one would prefer non hoof ball over safety in the championship.. 2nd best or 3rd best ...who cares .
Lambert Hmmmmm on 20:16 - Apr 22 with 3962 viewsMullet

What style of football is that exactly?

Our only chance on Friday came from a Bart lump straight down the pitch. Today we didn't retain the ball long enough to be effective short or long. The whole "hoofball" myth looks even sillier with distance now in fact.

We've had two managers now this season, who have brought in target men who need service and shown they have no idea how to get it to them. All after high minded idealism about style of play and stamping their identity on a team they haven't been able to mould effectively.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Lambert Hmmmmm on 20:57 - Apr 22 with 3870 viewsMrTown

We haven't got a style of play? To play the ball around the back is not a style of play.

I like the idea of what he trying to do. But right now it isn't working.

Does that mean he is a bad manager? Time will tell.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Lambert Hmmmmm on 08:11 - Apr 23 with 3634 viewsBlueBadger

'20 minutes midfield tippy-happy and then lose' isn't a style of play.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lambert Hmmmmm on 08:18 - Apr 23 with 3601 viewsBluefish

Lambert Hmmmmm on 08:11 - Apr 23 by BlueBadger

'20 minutes midfield tippy-happy and then lose' isn't a style of play.

It is tippy tappy because we up with 3 central midfielders playing in a 5 yard square

We are so lacking in attacking threat or desire that on multiple occasions we just ended up kicking it 40 or 50 yards back to the keeper

Apparently Lambert has given us our club back. It is not the club that I ever remember
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 8:20]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lambert Hmmmmm on 08:25 - Apr 23 with 3551 viewsPJH

Paul Lambert certainly needs a good start next season otherwise the "feelgood" aspect which has lasted an amazingly long time considering the results will start to disappear.

At some point it will dawn on everyone that results actually do matter so he will need some good ones-wins(remember them?)-early on.
Lambert Hmmmmm on 08:32 - Apr 23 with 3535 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert Hmmmmm on 08:18 - Apr 23 by Bluefish

It is tippy tappy because we up with 3 central midfielders playing in a 5 yard square

We are so lacking in attacking threat or desire that on multiple occasions we just ended up kicking it 40 or 50 yards back to the keeper

Apparently Lambert has given us our club back. It is not the club that I ever remember

I can only think that we've been taken over by the same sort of weird Stockholm syndrome that we suffered from under Keane wherein playing as many central players as possible was proof we were on the right track.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Lambert Hmmmmm on 08:58 - Apr 23 with 3450 viewsitfcjoe

The style of football really isn't much different - there is the odd flurry of passing which we didn't used to have, but ultimately its 1 up front, with that 1 having no support and having to chase down hopeful balls into the channels and try and control high balls against 2 big CBs.

Look at the way Swansea played yesterday if you want to see a better style, every player knew exactly what they were doing, they split wide, they passed it around, they moved the ball through the thirds and just made progressive possession look so easy.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:08 - Apr 23 with 3408 viewsthebooks

Lambert Hmmmmm on 08:58 - Apr 23 by itfcjoe

The style of football really isn't much different - there is the odd flurry of passing which we didn't used to have, but ultimately its 1 up front, with that 1 having no support and having to chase down hopeful balls into the channels and try and control high balls against 2 big CBs.

Look at the way Swansea played yesterday if you want to see a better style, every player knew exactly what they were doing, they split wide, they passed it around, they moved the ball through the thirds and just made progressive possession look so easy.

Yes, it was interesting watching Swansea. They've obviously stuck with pass it out from the back. Their keeper looked a pretty useful player.

I can understand why Lambert ditched it as we didn't have the luxury of risking shipping the odd goal by pinging it round the defence (even though we'd manage to ship the odd goal pointlessly anyway) when he took over.

I'm not convinced it's that effective anyway. Some of Swansea's passing looked nice, but it was very slow and broke down quite often. Perhaps it'll really pay off next season.

Having said that, they really weren't bothered in the first half. It did look a bit more purposeful after the break.

We simply don't have the mix of players for any style at the moment. I'm hoping it'll click over the summer, but it looks pretty hopeless at the moment.
Login to get fewer ads

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:11 - Apr 23 with 3392 viewschicoazul

Lambert Hmmmmm on 08:18 - Apr 23 by Bluefish

The club you I and so many others grew up with is dead and gone my friend.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:12 - Apr 23 with 3384 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed. We've seen Brentford, Preston and Swansea in recent weeks who are all midtable sides and even with nothing to play for they looked a different level. As you say, they had a way of playing, simplicity and cohesiveness that was far above what we've seen from our team this season.

Obviously this is chicken and egg for teams that are bottom of the table but Lambert needs to spend the summer getting up to speed quickly with a team and players that have a clearer idea of what they're doing. The current randomness even with the ambition to play the ball around isn't going to get us far in League One either.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:19 - Apr 23 with 3347 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:08 - Apr 23 by thebooks

Yes, it was interesting watching Swansea. They've obviously stuck with pass it out from the back. Their keeper looked a pretty useful player.

I can understand why Lambert ditched it as we didn't have the luxury of risking shipping the odd goal by pinging it round the defence (even though we'd manage to ship the odd goal pointlessly anyway) when he took over.

I'm not convinced it's that effective anyway. Some of Swansea's passing looked nice, but it was very slow and broke down quite often. Perhaps it'll really pay off next season.

Having said that, they really weren't bothered in the first half. It did look a bit more purposeful after the break.

We simply don't have the mix of players for any style at the moment. I'm hoping it'll click over the summer, but it looks pretty hopeless at the moment.

It may yet pay off this season - they’re 5 points and 4 places off the playoffs but have a game in hand on most teams, which happens to be at home to Derby who are 6th. Derby also have to go to Bristol City on Saturday meaning at least one of those will drop points there too...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:23 - Apr 23 with 3326 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:19 - Apr 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It may yet pay off this season - they’re 5 points and 4 places off the playoffs but have a game in hand on most teams, which happens to be at home to Derby who are 6th. Derby also have to go to Bristol City on Saturday meaning at least one of those will drop points there too...

Had they not lost their last 6 away games they'd be right up there.

If Potter stays there next season I'll be backing them to go up as he has done bloody well this year whilst owners have just cashed in on PL players and he's just brought players seamlessly in from U23s.

Seems a really good manager who knows what he's doing, has had the full pre season to work it, and we have to hope Lambert can do something similar - but we need to know what his style is other than tubthumping.

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:25 - Apr 23 with 3322 viewsthebooks

That's interesting. They looked like they couldn't be that bothered in the first half, although comfortable. Perhaps it's that style (or just me).

Their left midfielder made the difference, although player for player they were better in every position. It's quite depressing thinking about just how poor our squad is. They brought Leroy Fer on as a sub.
Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:29 - Apr 23 with 3301 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:23 - Apr 23 by itfcjoe

Had they not lost their last 6 away games they'd be right up there.

If Potter stays there next season I'll be backing them to go up as he has done bloody well this year whilst owners have just cashed in on PL players and he's just brought players seamlessly in from U23s.

Seems a really good manager who knows what he's doing, has had the full pre season to work it, and we have to hope Lambert can do something similar - but we need to know what his style is other than tubthumping.

I reckon they may be sat there in a couple of weeks having finished 2 points off the playoffs and wondering how they managed to lose 3-2 at home to the team that finished bottom!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:31 - Apr 23 with 3296 viewsBluefish

So what is it exactly that Lambert has achieved then? It isn't positive signings, it isn't results and it isn't playing style.

Why are we supposed to be happy with him? And apparently lucky to have him?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:40 - Apr 23 with 3257 views66notout

Lambert Hmmmmm on 20:57 - Apr 22 by MrTown

We haven't got a style of play? To play the ball around the back is not a style of play.

I like the idea of what he trying to do. But right now it isn't working.

Does that mean he is a bad manager? Time will tell.

What makes him a bad manager is his record of three wins in 30 games in a results business.
Yes, he inherited a very difficult situation but his record during six months in charge, complete with transfer window when he signed seven players of his choosing with no significant improvement in results, says it all.
But never mind - he has paid some fans’ bus fares to Blackburn - and that makes him some kind of hero.
Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:42 - Apr 23 with 3247 viewsDarth_Koont

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:31 - Apr 23 by Bluefish

So what is it exactly that Lambert has achieved then? It isn't positive signings, it isn't results and it isn't playing style.

Why are we supposed to be happy with him? And apparently lucky to have him?

I think the task was beyond most managers given the mess he inherited.

Yes, he's done poorer than expected but for mostly for the right reasons. He's tried to get us playing and on occasion that's worked. He's tried to use the youngsters more. And he's rotated players out who were lacking in form and confidence so that we've seen players like Nolan, Nsiala, Edwards and Jackson show more as the season has gone on.

But in retrospect, I'm sure we'd have been better off bunkering the side like Mick did when he took over and focusing on not getting beat. Back then he stuck to a side of players he could trust and just kept grinding out results even if it meant putting everyone behind the ball for long periods. But that was acceptable because of the shapeless shambles that emerged under Jewell when he had money and years to build up the squad. Not sure we'd have had the stomach to go even more pragmatic after the last couple of seasons under Mick where that was keeping us in midtable and we'd not had long enough to get fully frustrated by Hurst's team.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:44 - Apr 23 with 3238 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert Hmmmmm on 09:25 - Apr 23 by thebooks

That's interesting. They looked like they couldn't be that bothered in the first half, although comfortable. Perhaps it's that style (or just me).

Their left midfielder made the difference, although player for player they were better in every position. It's quite depressing thinking about just how poor our squad is. They brought Leroy Fer on as a sub.

"although player for player they were better in every position"

Sounds silly, but are they actually? I bet at the start of the season most wouldn't have viewed these XI players and thought that - it is just good coaching and playing a system over and over that has got the comfortable

Nordvelt - signed 4 years ago from Holland, had played 11 league games before this season

Van Der Hoorn - very good CB
Carter-Vickers - As above, but on loan here last year so hardly miles out of our league as a loanee
Roberts - had barely played at this level before this season, most games been in lower leagues on loan
Naughton - Had a long premier league career

Routledge - Been a good player, but 34 now and well past his best
James - Was yet to make his league debut before this season
Grimes - Spent last year on loan at Northampton

Fulton - Couldn't get in Wigan team when on loan last year there
Byers - Was 22 when he made his league debut in August

McBurnie - Youth product who had a good loan spell at Barnsley last year

Take the 2 CBs out of that and Kyle Naughton and bar Routledge it is almost an u23s team. Most of those were mega inexperienced at the start of the season but have been trusted with games.

Most of those players I've seen our U18s and u23 teams beat in previous years.

I'm not sure people realise how good a job potter has done there.

Lambert Hmmmmm on 13:32 - Apr 23 with 3052 viewsBlueBadger

Let's face it, we can pretty much put our houses on Derby dropping out of the top 6 before the end of the season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024