Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best vegetable 13:51 - Feb 24 with 13843 viewsDubtractor

Seems like this is a vegetable kind of day. So which is the best one?

I'm going for cabbage. Specifically Savoy cabbage, steamed, with lots of salt and pepper. Finely sliced before steaming btw.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Best vegetable on 22:14 - Feb 24 with 2837 viewsjeera

Best vegetable on 22:04 - Feb 24 by Darth_Koont

Sounds lovely. But butter, pancetta and cream sounds like you’re trying to hide their inherent sproutiness.

Is the raw taste still there?

I don't let them get too soft DK.

Still firm enough to ensure the 'sproutiness' is still there!

It's the same method our Catchers74 (pub landlord) uses I believe from previous conversations.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 22:43]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Best vegetable on 22:58 - Feb 24 with 2815 viewsDarth_Koont

Best vegetable on 22:14 - Feb 24 by jeera

I don't let them get too soft DK.

Still firm enough to ensure the 'sproutiness' is still there!

It's the same method our Catchers74 (pub landlord) uses I believe from previous conversations.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 22:43]

I believe you. I’ll give it a go.

Sounds too good not to!

Pronouns: He/Him

Best vegetable on 23:08 - Feb 24 with 2806 viewsjeera

Best vegetable on 22:58 - Feb 24 by Darth_Koont

I believe you. I’ll give it a go.

Sounds too good not to!

If you do bother then the raw (halved) sprout could just be popped into some boiling salted water for a few moments - but not long. A quick blanch.

Reason being they're not going to be in the pan long enough to soften otherwise. So choice of firmness is up to you but obviously too soft and they lose texture and also fall apart when you stir them about in the pan.

Do the pancetta to your liking first and there should be enough fat from those to only need to add a little butter. Place sprouts flat side down and get a bit of colour.

Add a little wine and cook off half the liquid - not too much; you want plenty left to down with dinner!

A splash of double cream will mix with the wine left to make just enough to give the sprouts a coating. You don't want them swimming.

Edit: season as you wish! I like plenty of black pepper but then I like that in almost everything.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 23:10]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Best vegetable on 23:15 - Feb 24 with 2796 viewsMelford

I always make a nice vegetable soup at work on a Monday, all the veg that didn't get used for the Sunday Roast goes in the pot. Today it was Savoy cabbage, peas, green beans, leeks, carrots and cauliflower cheese, plus a few roast potatoes. Get it all going on a low heat for about 4 hours, bung in a couple of stock cubes and some herbs, give it a stir and a sniff every half hour or so.
As for my favourite vegetable, I'll have to go with Brian Wilson. If you brought a big brown bag of them home, I'll jump up and down and hope you'll toss me a carrot.

Continuing the Vegetable theme, apparently Paul McCartney is chomping celery on this recording of Vega-Tables
https://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/10/paul-mccartney-performs-on-the-beach-boy

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Best vegetable on 04:39 - Feb 25 with 2720 viewsIPS_wich

So many to choose from, but I can't split these three:

- Cauliflower - great in any form but with cheese sauce and crispy bacon we are talking food of the gods

- A fresh corn, still on the cob, wrapped in foil and barbecued so some of the kernels are charred, served with a large wedge of butter

- Sprouts - I've always loved them, but thanks to Gordon Ramsay we tried his recommendation of cutting them in half and steaming them a few years ago (as previously mentioned) - managed to convert my wife, two kids and my niece who all now love them having previously despised them (it turns out my mother and father in law come from the boil everything for ten minutes school of cooking - so my wife hated most vegetables until she tried them properly cooked - broccoli, sprouts, asparagus and cabbage especially)
Best vegetable on 06:16 - Feb 25 with 2705 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Best vegetable on 20:32 - Feb 24 by J2BLUE

Broccoli
Baby corn*
Sugar snap peas
Parsnips
Mushrooms

*When my mate, the Pompey obsessed poster Ash1987 (who makes me look like Heston Blumenthal and Rommers look like a 5 gold star McDonalds employee), heard I was eating baby corn he asked, apparently in all seriousness, "why not have adult corn? Why have a baby portion?".

Phew, thank Christ for that

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Best vegetable on 08:53 - Feb 25 with 2676 viewsGaryCooper

Best vegetable on 15:19 - Feb 24 by Lord_Lucan

I think it's a bit like lobster, overrated by people who think it should be liked.

Asparagus? Give me something with a bit more attitude and lobster can fck right off, give me a bloody crab.

Asparagus served with new season crab, a sure sign of early summer, wonderful stuff.
Best vegetable on 09:43 - Feb 25 with 2649 viewsElephantintheRoom

The problem with cabbage is that once you've cut it - you're done. Cabbage too is a one trick pony.

For sheer sustainability - and the glamour of making you attractive to Olive Oil I give you .....
Spinach

You can cook it, posily steam it... eat it in salads, stuff it in soups - and best of all it just keeps growing.

It's supposed to be rich in iron as well... the trouble is that the iron sequesters in spinach are so strong it will actually take iron out of your gut and put it down the toilet... but hey you can't have everything.

For taste, most home veg enthusiasts will find an early crop of Broad Beans and new potatoes hard to beat.... followed by a summer crop of sweetcorn..... just planted mine

BUT spring through to summer you can still be eating spinach.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Best vegetable on 12:15 - Feb 25 with 2616 viewsLord_Lucan

As an aside Lady Lucan is becoming more and more veggy, not because of any moral crusade but because she isn't that keen on meat (I'll save you the hassle - especially mine)

Tonight I am cooking her cauliflower steaks, stuffed mushrooms and a side stir fry. I shall probably glaze the cauliflower with a splash of oyster sauce and add a bit to the stir fry. Not sure what to stuff the mushrooms with to be honest - maybe garlic, ginger and crumb mix but I'm open to suggestions on this bit.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Best vegetable on 12:19 - Feb 25 with 2613 viewsDyland

Best vegetable on 12:15 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

As an aside Lady Lucan is becoming more and more veggy, not because of any moral crusade but because she isn't that keen on meat (I'll save you the hassle - especially mine)

Tonight I am cooking her cauliflower steaks, stuffed mushrooms and a side stir fry. I shall probably glaze the cauliflower with a splash of oyster sauce and add a bit to the stir fry. Not sure what to stuff the mushrooms with to be honest - maybe garlic, ginger and crumb mix but I'm open to suggestions on this bit.

Mushrooms - stuff them with fresh herbs (tarragon parsley chives perfect), more chopped mushrooms, shallots and butter.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Best vegetable on 12:22 - Feb 25 with 2609 viewsfooters

Best vegetable on 12:15 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

Take the mushrooms and place them very carefully in the bin. Job done.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best vegetable on 12:30 - Feb 25 with 2596 viewsPiercingBlue

Pea all day long for me
Best vegetable on 12:34 - Feb 25 with 2591 viewsreusersfreekicks

Leaks
Sprouting broccoli
Artichokes (the big ones)
Broad beans
Onions - preferably red
Best vegetable on 12:37 - Feb 25 with 2586 viewsWeWereZombies

Best vegetable on 12:30 - Feb 25 by PiercingBlue

Pea all day long for me

May I be the first to say 'do you talk to the men next to you whilst you do?'

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Best vegetable on 12:40 - Feb 25 with 2582 viewsGaryCooper

Pea all day long for me

Cut out the caffeine
Best vegetable on 12:42 - Feb 25 with 2578 viewsBackToRussia

Best vegetable on 12:22 - Feb 25 by footers

Take the mushrooms and place them very carefully in the bin. Job done.

This is kohlrabi round 2, pal.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Best vegetable on 12:43 - Feb 25 with 2578 viewsPecker

Pea all day long for me

What are you, a rat? Go and see a doctor post haste.
Best vegetable on 12:46 - Feb 25 with 2576 viewsLord_Lucan

Best vegetable on 12:19 - Feb 25 by Dyland

Mushrooms - stuff them with fresh herbs (tarragon parsley chives perfect), more chopped mushrooms, shallots and butter.

To be honest Dyland I don't feel that goes with my eastern theme.

I'm going to soak some glutenous rice and use that with some chili and spring onion

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Best vegetable on 12:47 - Feb 25 with 2575 viewsHerbivore

Best vegetable on 12:42 - Feb 25 by BackToRussia

Footers is losing friends at a pretty rapid rate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Best vegetable on 12:47 - Feb 25 with 2575 viewsfooters

Best vegetable on 12:42 - Feb 25 by BackToRussia

In fairness, I had some dried, mini Japanese mushroom fella last week which was nice. It was stuck to the base of a martini glass with some mushroom paste.

Best vegetable on 12:50 - Feb 25 with 2573 viewsfooters

Best vegetable on 12:47 - Feb 25 by Herbivore

Footers is losing friends at a pretty rapid rate.

So long as I have my Pecker I'm fine. He is the wind beneath my wings.

Best vegetable on 12:55 - Feb 25 with 2564 viewsWeWereZombies

Best vegetable on 12:50 - Feb 25 by footers

That's not Pecker, just the result of too much asparagus

Sorry to disappoint...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Best vegetable on 12:57 - Feb 25 with 2558 viewsPecker

Best vegetable on 12:50 - Feb 25 by footers

Best vegetable on 12:58 - Feb 25 with 2553 viewsDubtractor

This might be my most posted on thread on twtd.

I should post about veg more often.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Best vegetable on 12:59 - Feb 25 with 2548 viewsPecker

Best vegetable on 12:58 - Feb 25 by Dubtractor

This might be my most posted on thread on twtd.

I should post about veg more often.

We need the results at some point. Mr Footers has already published his.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024