Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Captain 13:23 - Jun 10 with 6734 viewstrent_blue

It feels like we need to start next season with a fresh start, whilst it seems Lambert is staying, we can change the Captain. Current leaders have been good survants to the club, Skuse & Chambers need to really be focusing on their own performances and getting in the team for me.

This makes me think Downes should be captain, he’s the first name on the team sheet and also gives him a good reason to stay with us and lift two trophy’s! Fingers crossed.
New Captain on 14:22 - Jun 10 with 4543 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Removing the current captain and vice-captain will have a much worse effect than a new captain(one with no experience!) whilst the others are still in the dressing room, will bring.

It makes 0 sense to not keep Chambers as Captain. He is a great leader.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

New Captain on 14:24 - Jun 10 with 4530 viewsBluefish

New Captain on 14:22 - Jun 10 by JammyDodgerrr

Removing the current captain and vice-captain will have a much worse effect than a new captain(one with no experience!) whilst the others are still in the dressing room, will bring.

yeah but......Mick made him captain

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

New Captain on 17:10 - Jun 10 with 4436 viewsgtsb1966

He might be a great leader but is he a good enough footballer . I'd rather we had a good footballer in the team than a great captain.
New Captain on 19:05 - Jun 10 with 4340 viewsShawsey

" he is a great leader " ? No he isn't. He is a league one player, but is he a title winning league one player, no
New Captain on 20:02 - Jun 10 with 4276 viewsStenvict

New Captain on 17:10 - Jun 10 by gtsb1966

He might be a great leader but is he a good enough footballer . I'd rather we had a good footballer in the team than a great captain.

As has been said numerous times before, the problem is the attack, not Chambers and Skuse. Unless you're relying on these 2 to get 20+ goals a season...

Poll: What will be announced first?

New Captain on 20:05 - Jun 10 with 4268 viewspatrickswell

And where do we have any of those kicking around the place?
For all the criticism aimed at Chambers and Skuse for failing to inspire, it’s worth remembering that they’ve seen some absolute dogsht players come into the club since June 2018.
New Captain on 20:26 - Jun 10 with 4242 viewsclive_baker

Downes leads by example, but I’m not sure he’s captain material.

It’s a pretty sorry state of affairs when there’s barely 1 player in the squad you can point at and say ‘he’s a leader’. Chambers barks a bit, but otherwise we’ve got absolutely nothing. There should be 3 or 4 on the pitch, we don’t really have any. As weak as p1ss in that respect.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

New Captain on 20:30 - Jun 10 with 4225 viewsitfcjoe

New Captain on 20:26 - Jun 10 by clive_baker

Downes leads by example, but I’m not sure he’s captain material.

It’s a pretty sorry state of affairs when there’s barely 1 player in the squad you can point at and say ‘he’s a leader’. Chambers barks a bit, but otherwise we’ve got absolutely nothing. There should be 3 or 4 on the pitch, we don’t really have any. As weak as p1ss in that respect.

Something that was really obvious when you look back at the 2000 side and the players through the spine of that team.

Chambers and Skuse are really the only senior players with a standing in the game, and they are both at the very end of their careers in reality - Skuse was even being phased out last season.

I always think Mick's teams were very quiet, Stephen Hunt about the only one we had in his time who would get in the ear of the ref

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

New Captain on 20:48 - Jun 10 with 4183 viewsgtsb1966

New Captain on 20:05 - Jun 10 by patrickswell

And where do we have any of those kicking around the place?
For all the criticism aimed at Chambers and Skuse for failing to inspire, it’s worth remembering that they’ve seen some absolute dogsht players come into the club since June 2018.

Not once did I mention Skuse. Are you saying we haven't got a better player than Chambers for his position?
New Captain on 20:56 - Jun 10 with 4158 viewsHerbivore

Chambers is in the side on merit, not because he's captain.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

New Captain on 21:05 - Jun 10 with 4131 viewsgtsb1966

New Captain on 20:56 - Jun 10 by Herbivore

Chambers is in the side on merit, not because he's captain.

Great club man...very very average footballer. Will struggle even more next year.
New Captain on 21:12 - Jun 10 with 4109 viewsitfcjoe

New Captain on 20:48 - Jun 10 by gtsb1966

Not once did I mention Skuse. Are you saying we haven't got a better player than Chambers for his position?

Without a doubt, he’s streets ahead of Wilson, Nsiala and Ndaba.

I bet Woolfie enjoys playing alongside him too

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New Captain on 21:21 - Jun 10 with 4073 viewsHerbivore

New Captain on 21:05 - Jun 10 by gtsb1966

Great club man...very very average footballer. Will struggle even more next year.

He was part of a back 4 last season that was generally pretty solid, the other end was our biggest issue. He's easily one of the best two CBs at the club so deserves to be playing on merit, not because he's captain.

New Captain on 21:28 - Jun 10 with 4066 viewsMalcolmBlue

I really don't understand Ipswich fans sometimes. On the one hand we say players need to show more passion and love for the shirt. We have a captain and vice-captain that are the embodiment of that yet the fans hound them out.

The same thing happened to Magilton when he was in charge. He bled blue blood. A section of the fans wanted him out. Marcus listened. Now we are where we are.

We're stagnating because we have a chairman who doesn't have a plan, doesn't have a vision and is largely absent. He then does what the fans want to make up for the fact that there's no plan to appease the fans to make up for the stagnation and to shift the blame away from himself. And we're all so short sighted we forget about the major issues because we get excited about a new manager or a new signing or the paining of the turnstiles.

The sooner we all come to terms with the larger issue the sooner we can start going forwards as a club. You don't get better by putting a plaster on a malignant tumor.

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

New Captain on 21:50 - Jun 10 with 4025 viewsJammyDodgerrr

New Captain on 21:21 - Jun 10 by Herbivore

He was part of a back 4 last season that was generally pretty solid, the other end was our biggest issue. He's easily one of the best two CBs at the club so deserves to be playing on merit, not because he's captain.

Exactly this. There is zero reason for him to not be in the side unless we sign another centre back who is streets ahead of him.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 21:51]

New Captain on 09:57 - Jun 11 with 3877 viewsrickw

I think we do need to sign someone who will replace Chambers perhaps over the course of the season - he'll be 35 soon and really won't be able to play every game.

However even if Chambers wasn't named captain all the players will continue to see him as the actual captain as he has their respect.

I would like to see Dozzell given a run in the team instead of Skuse (say the first 10 games) to see if he can rise to it and start to show his undoubted ability, in the past he's been in and out all the time, I think an extended run will show us if he could make it - one way or another!
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 9:58]

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

New Captain on 10:48 - Jun 11 with 3814 viewsPinewoodblue

Chambers has to remain club captain but we need to look for a younger vice captain time to look to the future.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

New Captain on 10:49 - Jun 11 with 3814 viewsArnieM

There’s nothing wrong in keeping Chambers as CLUB Captain.... this has nothing to do with playing. Chambers ...and Skuse are very important ( and vital), influences at this Club right now, especially now that we are edging ever closer to a much younger squad of players. It would be a poor decision to dispense with these two high respected players at this Club and players who the younger players often seek advice from.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

New Captain on 11:40 - Jun 11 with 3777 viewsITFC_Forever

I can't believe this thread has had the number of replies it has without someone pointing out that it's quite likely Downes won't be here next season.

And I would wager than when the teamsheet is filled in to hand to the ref, the GK's name is usually written first.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

New Captain on 11:42 - Jun 11 with 3769 viewsbraveblue

Yes. Look at the success we have had. Let’s not change anything!!

You need a captain worthy of a place in the team who can act as inspiration.
New Captain on 11:44 - Jun 11 with 3759 viewsHerbivore

New Captain on 09:57 - Jun 11 by rickw

I think we do need to sign someone who will replace Chambers perhaps over the course of the season - he'll be 35 soon and really won't be able to play every game.

However even if Chambers wasn't named captain all the players will continue to see him as the actual captain as he has their respect.

I would like to see Dozzell given a run in the team instead of Skuse (say the first 10 games) to see if he can rise to it and start to show his undoubted ability, in the past he's been in and out all the time, I think an extended run will show us if he could make it - one way or another!
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 9:58]

Skuse hasn't really been in the side much over the second half of the season. Agree that it'd be good to see Dozzell get a run though, maybe tucked in the middle of Huws and Downes to do the more physical stuff.

New Captain on 12:02 - Jun 11 with 3731 viewsChrisd

The sad thing is Chambers is probably the best CB we have available in our squad apart from Woolfenden, but we really need better to be serious promotion contenders. The LB position looks another enigma too that remains unsolved.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 12:11]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

New Captain on 12:03 - Jun 11 with 3731 viewsJammyDodgerrr

New Captain on 11:42 - Jun 11 by braveblue

Yes. Look at the success we have had. Let’s not change anything!!

You need a captain worthy of a place in the team who can act as inspiration.

You say that as if the whole reason we have failed has been because of Chambers being captain. He was in the play off side, playing at RB for the whole season, which isn't his best position at all. He is not the reason we have slid down the league. a bad(in hindsight) appointment in Hurst and bad decisions by Lambert. Chambers is the least of our concerns and as already pointed out, was part of the the defence which almost had a record clean sheets this season. It does nothing changing the captain.

He is an inspiration. He loves the club, he has numerous youngsters living with him to support them in the academy.

New Captain on 12:18 - Jun 11 with 3701 viewsHerbivore

New Captain on 12:02 - Jun 11 by Chrisd

The sad thing is Chambers is probably the best CB we have available in our squad apart from Woolfenden, but we really need better to be serious promotion contenders. The LB position looks another enigma too that remains unsolved.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 12:11]

Our defence and defensive record last season was plenty good enough for a side chasing promotion. Our issues were further up the pitch where we were failing to create chances and score goals.

New Captain on 12:19 - Jun 11 with 3692 viewsclive_baker

New Captain on 20:30 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

Something that was really obvious when you look back at the 2000 side and the players through the spine of that team.

Chambers and Skuse are really the only senior players with a standing in the game, and they are both at the very end of their careers in reality - Skuse was even being phased out last season.

I always think Mick's teams were very quiet, Stephen Hunt about the only one we had in his time who would get in the ear of the ref

It's vital, there's not a successful team that I can think of that doesn't have multiple leaders on the pitch. Emery & Guardiola have both said in the past that they look to have 5 captains. When you look through our squad you're hard pushed to find a couple. We have to be one of the most meek and passive group I've ever witnessed at Town. Inclined to agree re. Mick's team, but it's still streets ahead of the current crop in terms of leadership with the likes of Berra, Smith, Chambers, Garner, Waghorn, the Hunt brothers etc. Murphy & McGoldrick weren't shouters but they were seasoned and you knew what you were going to get.

Current circumstances aside, if I were in charge it's the 1st thing I would look to fix with this squad. I don't think we lack ability, but we certainly lack b0llocks and direction.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024