Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? 07:56 - Aug 15 with 5705 viewsChrisd

If you could change ‘one’ thing to get us going in the right direction again what would it be? This can be on or off the field. Let’s try and be creative, instead of just saying PL.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 08:04 - Aug 15 with 4130 viewsWD19

OK, in that case.....PL assistant and entire extended management team.....whether he likes it or not.
agreed (n/t) on 08:10 - Aug 15 with 4100 viewsunstableblue

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 08:04 - Aug 15 by WD19

OK, in that case.....PL assistant and entire extended management team.....whether he likes it or not.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 08:15 - Aug 15 with 4077 viewsChrisd

If they are good enough, have more of our own homegrown players involved in the first XI, building a team around them.

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 08:59 - Aug 15 with 4005 viewsFtnfwest

Employ a good sporting director (if he’s good he’ll soon get rid of PL anyway)
What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 09:01 - Aug 15 with 4003 viewsCrow77

The one thing i would change is the fans so many want to get on the players or managers back and are going into the season so negative last season has gone forget it and no matter who has the blue shirt on support them
What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 09:07 - Aug 15 with 3978 viewsKeno

Burley into a DOF type roll

Dyer into a first team coaching role

play a lot more of the young players a lot more

have a settled style and formation onfield

recreate an identity off field

There you are 5 simple steps and no mention of PL

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 09:08 - Aug 15 with 3976 viewsSouperJim

Apologies for stating the bleeding obvious, but an owner (or failing that a chief exec) with experience of running a football club successfully.

Can't fault Evans investment (we can always want more but those who criticise the amount of money he has put in want the earth imho), but his running of the club has been shocking. He's been here 12 years and appointing McCarthy is the only thing of any note he's got right. That is an utterly terrible record and is the reason we are where we are.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 09:12 - Aug 15 with 3965 viewsSouperJim

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 09:01 - Aug 15 by Crow77

The one thing i would change is the fans so many want to get on the players or managers back and are going into the season so negative last season has gone forget it and no matter who has the blue shirt on support them

While I understand the sentiment and similarly get frustrated by those who criticise anything and everything regardless of merit, I actually think our support throughout the Evans era has been nothing short of remarkable. We've seen players, managers and especially the owner given far more backing from the fans than they have deserved at times.

There is even an arguement that if our support had been a bit more negative over the past decade it just might have forced some change for the better. We'll never know.

Login to get fewer ads

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 09:45 - Aug 15 with 3917 viewsRegencyBlue

The owner!

He is the one constant in our relentless decline over the last thirteen years and still doesn’t have a clue how to run a football club, on or off the pitch.
What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:01 - Aug 15 with 3875 viewsJ2BLUE

Evans to form a special advisory committee to meet (in person or virtually) every week to discuss the direction of the club and what has been going on. I don't mean in a way that undermines the manager, just a group which Evans knows and trusts who could offer support and advice on practical ideas. People who understand the club and have its best interests at heart. Take your pick from any number of legends in and around the club - Butcher, Burley, Dyer, Holland, Bent, Bramble, Wark etc. Maybe add a couple of senior pros as well like Chambers and Skuse.

It's just frustrating how much Evans gets wrong when he has these people willing and able on his doorstep.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:04 - Aug 15 with 3861 viewsHerbivore

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 09:01 - Aug 15 by Crow77

What if Ian Huntley has the blue shirt on?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:05 - Aug 15 with 3856 viewsMullet

Our win %

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:14 - Aug 15 with 3820 viewsChrisd

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:01 - Aug 15 by J2BLUE

Evans to form a special advisory committee to meet (in person or virtually) every week to discuss the direction of the club and what has been going on. I don't mean in a way that undermines the manager, just a group which Evans knows and trusts who could offer support and advice on practical ideas. People who understand the club and have its best interests at heart. Take your pick from any number of legends in and around the club - Butcher, Burley, Dyer, Holland, Bent, Bramble, Wark etc. Maybe add a couple of senior pros as well like Chambers and Skuse.

It's just frustrating how much Evans gets wrong when he has these people willing and able on his doorstep.

So true. For the amount of decisions ME has made since taking over all that time ago, he genuinely hasn’t had that many successes. We seem a club currently that if we’re given two options, we’ll take the one that royally shafts us.

Perhaps another suggestion is devising a plan for the club that they genuinely believe in? Instead we have this ‘Mickey Mouse’ 5 point plan that is often diluted every other month or at times completely forgotten! When Sheepshanks put forward his proposal for us all those years ago, everyone invested in it both on and off the park and more importantly believed in it. I just don’t see this under ME’s regime, we just get the lip service with little substance.

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:15 - Aug 15 with 3813 viewsChrisd

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 09:07 - Aug 15 by Keno

Burley into a DOF type roll

Dyer into a first team coaching role

play a lot more of the young players a lot more

have a settled style and formation onfield

recreate an identity off field

There you are 5 simple steps and no mention of PL

A bit greedy Keno with all those suggestions! 😃

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:23 - Aug 15 with 3791 viewsKeno

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:15 - Aug 15 by Chrisd

well you did ask!!

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:25 - Aug 15 with 3789 viewsChrisd

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:23 - Aug 15 by Keno

well you did ask!!

True!

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:30 - Aug 15 with 3775 viewsKeno

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:15 - Aug 15 by Chrisd

Ignore, 2nd post
[Post edited 15 Aug 2020 10:31]

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:32 - Aug 15 with 3769 viewsSouperJim

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:14 - Aug 15 by Chrisd

So true. For the amount of decisions ME has made since taking over all that time ago, he genuinely hasn’t had that many successes. We seem a club currently that if we’re given two options, we’ll take the one that royally shafts us.

Perhaps another suggestion is devising a plan for the club that they genuinely believe in? Instead we have this ‘Mickey Mouse’ 5 point plan that is often diluted every other month or at times completely forgotten! When Sheepshanks put forward his proposal for us all those years ago, everyone invested in it both on and off the park and more importantly believed in it. I just don’t see this under ME’s regime, we just get the lip service with little substance.

The 5 point plan thing really does seem to be nonsense doesn't it. I'd be interested to know if it is actually referred back to and used to maintain the direction of the club within the management, as it really does just seem to be another bit of PR that gets wheeled out to try and maintain the customer base and has little bearing on what we actually do.

It's a microcosm of Evans' failure. Other clubs come up with a plan to drive the club forwards and invest in it as an ethos. We carefully word something which we think will keep the fans happy, while continuing the short termism and lurching from one approach to the next.

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:32 - Aug 15 with 3768 viewsthebooks

It’ll probably be derided on here, but some form of fan involvement/ownership.

We have an owner whose interest appears to extend to simply keeping the club running. Fan involvement would at least make it feel a less passive experience where we just have (crap) stuff done to us, and we’re expected to be grateful for it because we’re not in Wigan’s position. The club is tired and run down – it needs some passion and energy, which fans could provide.

Who knows, we might make some more imaginative decisions beyond betting everything on employing the right manager.
What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:33 - Aug 15 with 3764 viewsthebooks

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:32 - Aug 15 by SouperJim

The 5 point plan thing really does seem to be nonsense doesn't it. I'd be interested to know if it is actually referred back to and used to maintain the direction of the club within the management, as it really does just seem to be another bit of PR that gets wheeled out to try and maintain the customer base and has little bearing on what we actually do.

It's a microcosm of Evans' failure. Other clubs come up with a plan to drive the club forwards and invest in it as an ethos. We carefully word something which we think will keep the fans happy, while continuing the short termism and lurching from one approach to the next.

There is no plan beyond employing a manager who can do miracles with limited investment. This has always been the case – the rest is either PR or incompetence.
What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:40 - Aug 15 with 3747 viewsSouperJim

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:32 - Aug 15 by thebooks

It’ll probably be derided on here, but some form of fan involvement/ownership.

We have an owner whose interest appears to extend to simply keeping the club running. Fan involvement would at least make it feel a less passive experience where we just have (crap) stuff done to us, and we’re expected to be grateful for it because we’re not in Wigan’s position. The club is tired and run down – it needs some passion and energy, which fans could provide.

Who knows, we might make some more imaginative decisions beyond betting everything on employing the right manager.

The club-led fan involvement has always bothered me. The official supporters club appears to just be a bunch of sycophants who get wheeled out to give the illusion we have some kind of input. It wouldn't take much for a determined group of fans to attend the AGM and hijack the committee, but instead the same old faces vote each other back in every year.

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:46 - Aug 15 with 3726 viewsthebooks

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:40 - Aug 15 by SouperJim

The club-led fan involvement has always bothered me. The official supporters club appears to just be a bunch of sycophants who get wheeled out to give the illusion we have some kind of input. It wouldn't take much for a determined group of fans to attend the AGM and hijack the committee, but instead the same old faces vote each other back in every year.

Yeah, I think that’s right – it would have to be fan-led and have proper teeth. But that requires fans to actually do something, which normally takes a catastrophe like liquidation.

It’s isn’t only Town fans, of course, just a reflection of how passive people have become, not just over football. You always hear about how we should feel sorry for Newcastle fans because of Mike Ashley, or some murderous dictatorship not buying him out, but they never seem to do anything – for a fanbase so apparently proud, they just have things done to them by various wideboys and despots.
What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 10:56 - Aug 15 with 3695 viewsitfcjoe

Most simply a chief executive with the responsibility given to him to run the club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 11:00 - Aug 15 with 3682 viewsKieran_Knows

An infrastructure the fans can actually relate to (ala Norwich, Brentford, Huddersfield). Not this b*llsh*t half ar*ed attempt of a ‘5 point plan’.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What could the club change to get us back on the road to success? on 11:02 - Aug 15 with 3675 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Having a system of playing that involves running at the opposition, getting into the box and creating chances. At this level, if that means giving the ball away a bit and having to outscore some teams it shouldn't really be a massive problem for a squad with our quality. We lost enough games without that approach anyway.

Beyond that there should be a plan B (and preferably C too) and some of that could be more defensive for situations where we are hanging on to a lead (or even, on exceptions, for a point).

Every player should know the systems and be comfortable with their role in them and how their game should change if they have to change role for some reason.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024