Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 09:08 - Jan 5 with 1799 viewsSteve_M

Just in case anyone is still labouring under the idea that this only affects the elderly.

And yet, Today, still had Gupta to spout rubbish on this morning.

Edit: there was supposed to be a tweet embedded in there but it doesn't show up:

https ://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1346380956719054849?s=20

Delete the space if you want to see the graph.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 9:24]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:11 - Jan 5 with 1764 viewsGuthrum

A feature of the new strains is that they appear to affect a younger cohort of people than the earlier ones did.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:15 - Jan 5 with 1741 viewsVic

I understand that half of West Suffolk Hospital in BSE is now COVID positive!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:19 - Jan 5 with 1731 viewsStokieBlue

The B117 variant seems to create a higher viral load which allows it to both spread more easily and be a threat to age ranges outside the previous scope. People really need to get on board on how serious this could be but I fear many people won't adjust their views along with the new science.

I was listening to a US-based podcast last night which said that actually there might be a number of variants which are similar to B117 in other countries which go unnoticed and that because the UK has such a good genetics testing infrastructure we picked it up quickly.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:38 - Jan 5 with 1659 viewsGuthrum

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:41 - Jan 5 with 1643 viewshomer_123

I suspect this change is being driven two fold:

1. The new variant is more transmissible
2. Younger people are not changing their behavior

The later is exacerbating the situation. So, as expected, we saw over the festive period a lot of gatherings and get togethers but also, the general population was a lot more relaxed about social distancing etc. So, that coupled with the new variant is a potently bad mix.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 9:46]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:44 - Jan 5 with 1606 viewsNthQldITFC

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:15 - Jan 5 by Vic

That's a nasty conjunction of diseases. Mad Covid Disease.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:51 - Jan 5 with 1565 viewscatch74

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:41 - Jan 5 by homer_123

The later is exacerbating the situation. So, as expected, we saw over the festive period a lot of gatherings and get togethers but also, the general population was a lot more relaxed about social distancing etc. So, that coupled with the new variant is a potently bad mix.

Surely pushes back the re-opening of the country, looks like just getting top 4 groups vaccinated will not be sufficient.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 10:07 - Jan 5 with 1517 viewsswede

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:15 - Jan 5 by Vic

From Mrs Swede yesterday -
In Ipswich hospital, operating theatres are being converted into emergency covid intensive care units.
Login to get fewer ads

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 10:30 - Jan 5 with 1444 viewsBangor31

One should also remember that the age group of 16-64 is roughly 57% of the population and the previous strains caused the following deaths (18th December)

Under 45 - 805
Under 65 - 8,387
45-65 circa 7,500

So when we look at these numbers the 45 - 65 cohort are still very venerable yet the previous rhetoric has been this is only a dangerous disease for the 65+ demographic.

On top of that you have 40ish and younger (me included), possibly the most entitled persons the UK have ever produced, who feel its their right to do as they please. So you have over 1/3 of the country happily running around the country with the high chance of spreading the new strain.

I can't find any decent Hospitalisation stats so if anyone has a link that would be ace

Good luck
Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 10:31 - Jan 5 with 1443 viewsBlueBadger

It's certainly a much younger younger ITU at [redacted] this time round, mean age this time is probably around mid-50's as opposed to mid to late 60's, first wave.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 10:54 - Jan 5 with 1384 viewsitfc_bucks

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:41 - Jan 5 by homer_123

The evidence doesn't bear out your hypothesis - Young people were as likely to change their behaviour. It's just that that doesn't sit well with selling newspapers...

I'll see if I can dig up the study.

***EDIT***
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/30/young-people-as-diligent-about-cov
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 10:56]
Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 11:42 - Jan 5 with 1322 viewshomer_123

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 10:54 - Jan 5 by itfc_bucks

The evidence doesn't bear out your hypothesis - Young people were as likely to change their behaviour. It's just that that doesn't sit well with selling newspapers...

I'll see if I can dig up the study.

***EDIT***
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/30/young-people-as-diligent-about-cov
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 10:56]

'The later is exacerbating the situation. So, as expected, we saw over the festive period a lot of gatherings and get togethers but also, the general population was a lot more relaxed about social distancing etc. So, that coupled with the new variant is a potently bad mix.'

That poll you've linked to is 3 months old now - and as I clearly posted, the wider general populous has become must more relaxed about social distancing etc.

There is clear evidence that the younger generation also being somewhat more lax - plenty of reports and evidence of New Years and Festive parties and get togethers (Essex and beyond) that show this. Clearly this is not all young people.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 12:15 - Jan 5 with 1251 viewsChurchman

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 09:38 - Jan 5 by Guthrum

That’s one very scary graph. Another factor in this is the long term health implications for not necessarily elderly people. For some (hopefully a minority), it’s a real life wrecker, even if they survive it.

To be honest, all those years ago when I was 18-25 I wouldn’t have worried about something that only affects sad old coffin dodgers of 40+. I was immortal. Ahhh, the ignorance.

I really hope all people are getting the message now but I have my doubts.
Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 12:22 - Jan 5 with 1234 viewsSteve_M

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 12:15 - Jan 5 by Churchman

That’s one very scary graph. Another factor in this is the long term health implications for not necessarily elderly people. For some (hopefully a minority), it’s a real life wrecker, even if they survive it.

To be honest, all those years ago when I was 18-25 I wouldn’t have worried about something that only affects sad old coffin dodgers of 40+. I was immortal. Ahhh, the ignorance.

I really hope all people are getting the message now but I have my doubts.

Yes, long covid is really worrying without an understanding of how it affects some people as badly as it does.

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 12:29 - Jan 5 with 1192 viewstractordownsouth

It's genuinely despicable that TalkRadio cranks are being paid money to downplay the virus on national radio when thousands of people are in hospital.

Guido Fawkes have been at it again, accusing GMB of bias because they had a Labour-supporting nurse on there describing the pressure on hospitals. They're essentially claiming that NHS staff are lying just because they don't vote Tory. by claiming they want "balance" between truth and lies. A completely scummy publication.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 13:56 - Jan 5 with 1088 viewsitfc_bucks

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 11:42 - Jan 5 by homer_123

'The later is exacerbating the situation. So, as expected, we saw over the festive period a lot of gatherings and get togethers but also, the general population was a lot more relaxed about social distancing etc. So, that coupled with the new variant is a potently bad mix.'

That poll you've linked to is 3 months old now - and as I clearly posted, the wider general populous has become must more relaxed about social distancing etc.

There is clear evidence that the younger generation also being somewhat more lax - plenty of reports and evidence of New Years and Festive parties and get togethers (Essex and beyond) that show this. Clearly this is not all young people.

No, there's anecdotal evidence.

I went running through our local NT grounds last weekend and you couldn't move for middle-aged folks in groups.

Now, either this was the largest polygamous family in Britain, or a whole hoarde of 40-50 somethings all decided to go for a walk and luckily bumped into their friends.

Anecdotal evidence cuts both ways.

I say this as someone in the mid-30s and thus fits in neither group, with no axe to grind.
Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 13:59 - Jan 5 with 1069 viewsjeera

My sister was on the phone earlier and apparently a colleague of her husband's died last week from complications after contracting Covid.

No other known health conditions and he was only 46.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 14:34]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 15:26 - Jan 5 with 1001 viewsSteve_M

Some more detail here:

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 15:34 - Jan 5 with 968 viewsTractorWood

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 10:30 - Jan 5 by Bangor31

One should also remember that the age group of 16-64 is roughly 57% of the population and the previous strains caused the following deaths (18th December)

Under 45 - 805
Under 65 - 8,387
45-65 circa 7,500

So when we look at these numbers the 45 - 65 cohort are still very venerable yet the previous rhetoric has been this is only a dangerous disease for the 65+ demographic.

On top of that you have 40ish and younger (me included), possibly the most entitled persons the UK have ever produced, who feel its their right to do as they please. So you have over 1/3 of the country happily running around the country with the high chance of spreading the new strain.

I can't find any decent Hospitalisation stats so if anyone has a link that would be ace

Good luck

Thanks useful context. 16-64 is pretty meaningless as you say until broken down a bit further.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 15:36 - Jan 5 with 960 viewsDanTheMan

Half of London hospital admissions now 16-64 on 15:26 - Jan 5 by Steve_M

Some more detail here:

Well... bóllocks.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024