Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. 10:53 - Mar 7 with 7062 viewsshortswereshort

Hello, have been advised to post on here to see if I can find a link to the above game, ideally the video but even detailed match reports would be progress
I'm the host of a retro football podcast 'When Shorts Were Short' covering the 1954 to early 90s period of English football and have had an interview with a former Ipswich player who featured in the above FA Cup tie at Luton on hold for months as the highlights, which I need to rewatch have disappeared from the internet. I've been in touch with archivists, while with Ipswich staff working from home right now, their historian has not been able to help.
I know for a fact this game was showing on ITV's 'The Big Match' on the Sunday 24 Jan 1982 and remember watching it. Various sites on The Big Match confirm this game was one of the games shown on that Sunday's edition and other games from that edition remain online but for some reason Luton v Ipswich has vanished. I know Ipswich won 3-0. Clive Thomas reffed and of course this is the match where Terry Butcher had that extraordinary nose bleed that got even more complicated post-match. I can't see why the game would've been removed from YouTube and pretty much everywhere else and even some Big Match archivists I deal with haven't been able to unearth the game. The interview can go ahead without rewatching the game, but my preference would be to be able to watch it or at the very least read some match reports and anything linked to that game before I record this interview.

Thanks for your time.
Daniel
When Shorts Were Short Podcast, Football 1954 - '92.
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:26 - Mar 7 with 5339 viewspatrickswell

Brief summary from In Quest of Glory - Bobby Robson at Ipswich Town 1969-82 by John Eastwood and Tony Moyse

Luton, runaway Second Division leaders, never looked like causing an upset as Town notched up their ninth consecutive victory - a club record. Ricky Hill’s first half shot againstthe bar was the only time they came close. Town’s second goal was the signal for Terry Butcher to leave the field. He had previously refused to do so despite the fact that his nose was broken and bleediñg following a 36th minute clash with Brian Stein. When club doctors couldn’t stem the flow of blood, Butcher was taken to hospital by ambulance for emergency treatment.

Luton (Manager David Pleat) - Findlay, Stephens, Aizelwood (Antic 69), Horton, Goodyear, Donaghy, Hill, Stein, White, Fuccillo & Moss.

Ipswich - Cooper, Burley, McCall, Mills, Osman, Butcher (O’Callaghan 71), Wark, Muhren, Mariner, Brazil & Gates
Goals - Brazil (62) Gates (71 & 86)
Referee - Mr C Thomas (Porthcawl)
Attendance: 20,188
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:32 - Mar 7 with 5326 viewsTrumptonBlue

Funnily enough, I've looked for that game recently and similarly came up blank. I too remember watching it on TV.

I can tell you what the club history 'The Men Who Made The Town' says about it:

"In the fourth round they won in reasonable comfort at Luton in spite of Butcher's injury and the fact that Luton were running away with the Second Division. This match was Mick Mills' 700th for Ipswich, and it saw the team set up a new club record of nine consecutive victories. They also wore for the first time their new change strip of scarlet shirts, black shorts and scarlet socks."

So not much about the game! But Terry Butcher's injury was the most memorable thing about the match, of course - it gave us a foretaste of his blood-soaked England performance in Sweden years later, but this was much worse. On that the book says:

"Butcher was accidentally kicked in the face by Luton's Brian Stein, breaking his nose and severing an artery on the bridge. Although the incident occurred early in the game Butcher played on until Ipswich were safely two goals in front, but the bleeding did not stop until he went to a local hospital for treatment. It started again on the Monday after the match, and he had to be rushed from home for a blood transfusion. After two operations he eventually made a full recovery, although it took him several weeks to regain his full strength and fitness after receiving about 15 pints of blood in transfusions."

I do wonder if it's too gory for YouTube...
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:35 - Mar 7 with 5316 viewsTrumptonBlue

This site has some pictures and a newspaper match report, if you click the circular buttons at the foot of the page:

https://www.hattersheritage.co.uk/luton-town-vs-ipswich-town-19811982

Edit: Nice to see Ipswich described as "the best team in the country" there! TWTD.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 11:37]
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:40 - Mar 7 with 5296 viewshomer_123

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:26 - Mar 7 by patrickswell

Brief summary from In Quest of Glory - Bobby Robson at Ipswich Town 1969-82 by John Eastwood and Tony Moyse

Luton, runaway Second Division leaders, never looked like causing an upset as Town notched up their ninth consecutive victory - a club record. Ricky Hill’s first half shot againstthe bar was the only time they came close. Town’s second goal was the signal for Terry Butcher to leave the field. He had previously refused to do so despite the fact that his nose was broken and bleediñg following a 36th minute clash with Brian Stein. When club doctors couldn’t stem the flow of blood, Butcher was taken to hospital by ambulance for emergency treatment.

Luton (Manager David Pleat) - Findlay, Stephens, Aizelwood (Antic 69), Horton, Goodyear, Donaghy, Hill, Stein, White, Fuccillo & Moss.

Ipswich - Cooper, Burley, McCall, Mills, Osman, Butcher (O’Callaghan 71), Wark, Muhren, Mariner, Brazil & Gates
Goals - Brazil (62) Gates (71 & 86)
Referee - Mr C Thomas (Porthcawl)
Attendance: 20,188

C Thomas - is that the Clive Thomas?

[shudder]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:41 - Mar 7 with 5294 viewsTrumptonBlue

Bloody Butcher (and *the* Clive Thomas):

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/football-fa-cup-4th-round-luton-england-23r
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 11:42]
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:52 - Mar 7 with 5271 viewslongtimefan

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:41 - Mar 7 by TrumptonBlue

Bloody Butcher (and *the* Clive Thomas):

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/football-fa-cup-4th-round-luton-england-23r
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 11:42]

Can’t help with the tv coverage but certainly remember the game and notably being ambushed by a large group of Luton supporters on the lengthy walk back to the coaches after the match. Fortunately the Police car leading us back received the worst of a hailstorm of bricks and rubble being thrown at us.
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:58 - Mar 7 with 5254 viewsgtsb1966

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:52 - Mar 7 by longtimefan

Can’t help with the tv coverage but certainly remember the game and notably being ambushed by a large group of Luton supporters on the lengthy walk back to the coaches after the match. Fortunately the Police car leading us back received the worst of a hailstorm of bricks and rubble being thrown at us.

My head took the impact of one of those bricks on the way back to the railway station. A few friends got ambushed in the multistorey carpark too but managed to escape by throwing a discarded shopping trolley down the stairs as the Luton lot came up.
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 12:48 - Mar 7 with 5174 viewsThe_Major

Ah, matches where Town players have nearly died.

See also poor old Mich D'Avray in the Milk Cup Semi at Carrow Road.
Login to get fewer ads

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 13:35 - Mar 7 with 5083 viewsshortswereshort

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:40 - Mar 7 by homer_123

C Thomas - is that the Clive Thomas?

[shudder]

Appreciate the responses and details here. Very helpful.
Re. the poster who suggested that perhaps the game was removed from YouTube owing to the goryness of Butcher's injury, I had considered that possibility. Unlikely but still, can't be ruled out. Just so odd the game can't be found anywhere.
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 13:57 - Mar 7 with 5039 viewsChurchman

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:52 - Mar 7 by longtimefan

I was at the game too. It was a big crown for the then Luton ground and we were in the open away end. Ipswich won the game well enough and the amount of blood off Butcher. I seem to remember we were wearing red shirts that day, but that may be the memory playing tricks.

After the game as we went back to the town we could hear large groups of Luton fans tooling around, so me and the then gf now wife dodge into the Arndale Centre and gave it an hour before finding the car. It was a good day but I don’t think anyone realised what a state Butcher had got into. Blood on football players at that time was nothing new.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 15:01]
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 14:01 - Mar 7 with 5038 viewsLord_Lucan

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 13:57 - Mar 7 by Churchman

I was at the game too. It was a big crown for the then Luton ground and we were in the open away end. Ipswich won the game well enough and the amount of blood off Butcher. I seem to remember we were wearing red shirts that day, but that may be the memory playing tricks.

After the game as we went back to the town we could hear large groups of Luton fans tooling around, so me and the then gf now wife dodge into the Arndale Centre and gave it an hour before finding the car. It was a good day but I don’t think anyone realised what a state Butcher had got into. Blood on football players at that time was nothing new.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 15:01]

Yes we were playing in red, I’m thinking red and black stripes - but my memory also a bit shot.

It wasn’t the blood he lost on the day that was the problem, from memory they just couldn’t stop the bleeding for days.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 14:07 - Mar 7 with 5028 viewsgainsboroughblue

Have tried to put image directly on here but I've always been a bit crap at knowing how to do that properly. Looks like it was red with black pinstripes.

It was a bloody day on and off the field from what I remember being told.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/football-fa-cup-4th-round-luton-

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 18:31 - Mar 7 with 4858 viewsTrequartista

There's literally four seconds of footage on youtube of Ricky Hill hitting the bar from that match, which isn't much good. I can't find anything else.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 18:44 - Mar 7 with 4830 viewsjontysnut

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 12:48 - Mar 7 by The_Major

Ah, matches where Town players have nearly died.

See also poor old Mich D'Avray in the Milk Cup Semi at Carrow Road.

I seem to remember Laurie Sivell losing some teeth against Forest
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 21:02 - Mar 7 with 4662 viewsshamboy

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 18:44 - Mar 7 by jontysnut

I seem to remember Laurie Sivell losing some teeth against Forest

...and David Johnson nearly losing some appendages vs Lazio
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 21:27 - Mar 7 with 4628 viewsgainsboroughblue

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 14:01 - Mar 7 by Lord_Lucan

Yes we were playing in red, I’m thinking red and black stripes - but my memory also a bit shot.

It wasn’t the blood he lost on the day that was the problem, from memory they just couldn’t stop the bleeding for days.

He went into a lot of detail about it in his book 'Both Sides of the Border' but I don't remember the finer details. He certainly needed a blood transfusion and lost the best part of a couple of stone.

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 21:42 - Mar 7 with 4608 viewsColin_Viljoen

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 21:27 - Mar 7 by gainsboroughblue

He went into a lot of detail about it in his book 'Both Sides of the Border' but I don't remember the finer details. He certainly needed a blood transfusion and lost the best part of a couple of stone.

Terry ended up being taken to "The London Hospital" as I was local & knew Terry, I went to visit him. The thing he was worried about most was missing out on the England World Cup squad!
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 21:50 - Mar 7 with 4576 viewscressi

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 21:42 - Mar 7 by Colin_Viljoen

Terry ended up being taken to "The London Hospital" as I was local & knew Terry, I went to visit him. The thing he was worried about most was missing out on the England World Cup squad!

Yes I was there fun at the multi story but who cares we won unlucky Mr Morecambe bring me sunshine lol
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 22:26 - Mar 7 with 4528 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Soccer AM used to do reenactments of goals didn't they?

Perhaps you could see if Butch would help you out with reenacting some of it!

I don't suppose contacting YouTube to see whether footage has been removed for some reason and how you can somehow access it via them would have any mileage.

Aside from that there may be the odd poster who still has it on VHS somewhere!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 00:27 - Mar 8 with 4447 viewsMisterBlue

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 14:01 - Mar 7 by Lord_Lucan

It was red with black pinstripes, the 3rd choice kit from '81-84. I've not been able to find any colour pictures from the match itself, but this is the shirt, all be it with a later sponsor.

https://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/i/ipswich-town/old-ipswich-town-footb
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:54 - Mar 8 with 4277 viewsRadlett_blue

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 21:50 - Mar 7 by cressi

Yes I was there fun at the multi story but who cares we won unlucky Mr Morecambe bring me sunshine lol

I met a guy last year who claimed to have been out with Eric Morecambe's daughter.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 16:26 - Mar 8 with 4212 viewsgainsboroughblue

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:54 - Mar 8 by Radlett_blue

I met a guy last year who claimed to have been out with Eric Morecambe's daughter.

I loved our old away kits. Way too much overthinking with them now.

We should just rotate this old design with a red/black, orange/black, white/black.

I wouldn't be adverse to the even earlier yellow/blue effort too.

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 16:36 - Mar 8 with 4200 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 11:54 - Mar 8 by Radlett_blue

I had a blind date in the eighties set up for me by a friend with Bobby Charlton’s daughter.
She looked too much like her Dad so I didn’t pursue a second date!
Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 17:46 - Mar 8 with 4162 viewsgainsboroughblue

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 16:36 - Mar 8 by SouthBucksBlue

I had a blind date in the eighties set up for me by a friend with Bobby Charlton’s daughter.
She looked too much like her Dad so I didn’t pursue a second date!

Not the weather forecast girl?

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 20:00 - Mar 8 with 4087 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Luton v Ipswich FA Cup 4th Rd , 23 Jan 1982. on 17:46 - Mar 8 by gainsboroughblue

Not the weather forecast girl?

I honestly can’t remember her first name but I guess it must have been.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024