Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... 20:41 - Aug 30 with 2222 viewsblaggers

...he'll never dislodge Johnson. In any event we have Richard Naylor and Scowcroft ahead of him. What is the manager and/or Sheepshanks thinking? Ridiculous signing.

Burley Out.

Poll: What happens next?

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 20:45 - Aug 30 with 2174 viewsITFC_Forever

He didn’t do much other than miss sitters to be fair.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 20:45 - Aug 30 with 2169 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ironically, we blew a 2 goal lead on the corresponding weekend of that season.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 20:51 - Aug 30 with 2130 viewsPhilTWTD

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 20:45 - Aug 30 by ITFC_Forever

He was a little unlucky, if I remember rightly. Hit the woodwork a few times, keepers made remarkable saves etc. Scored hatloads in the reserves.
1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:01 - Aug 30 with 2076 viewsCoastalblue

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 20:45 - Aug 30 by ITFC_Forever

Sitters wasn't even posting on here back then, not sure why he'd have been missed.

My vague memories of him were that he looked like he flattered to deceive, on the verge of being a really good player but not quite managing to be an ordinary player. We've had a few more like that since.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:05 - Aug 30 with 2072 viewsBluefish

I had beers with him and others at Cambridge United. He couldn't be bothered to go and watch the 2nd half

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:08 - Aug 30 with 2053 viewsOriginalMarkyP

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:05 - Aug 30 by Bluefish

I had beers with him and others at Cambridge United. He couldn't be bothered to go and watch the 2nd half

That has to be about the lamest football name drop I've heard in a long while.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 21:08]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:14 - Aug 30 with 2008 viewsclive_baker

If that’s an attempt to evidence a view that wouldn’t have aged well I’ve got to say that’s an awful example!

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:15 - Aug 30 with 1986 viewsBluefish

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:08 - Aug 30 by OriginalMarkyP

That has to be about the lamest football name drop I've heard in a long while.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 21:08]

This has to be the lamest jealousy to a story that I've heard

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:18 - Aug 30 with 1988 viewsNthsuffolkblue

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:01 - Aug 30 by Coastalblue

Sitters wasn't even posting on here back then, not sure why he'd have been missed.

My vague memories of him were that he looked like he flattered to deceive, on the verge of being a really good player but not quite managing to be an ordinary player. We've had a few more like that since.

Posting? He wasn't even born in 1999 was he? But something along those lines was my initial thought too!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:21 - Aug 30 with 1973 viewsblaggers

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 20:51 - Aug 30 by PhilTWTD

He was a little unlucky, if I remember rightly. Hit the woodwork a few times, keepers made remarkable saves etc. Scored hatloads in the reserves.

I'm pretty sure he had a great chance to equalise away at Maine Road that season, but hit the bar. Those were the days when I would consider driving to Manchester and back on a school night.

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:24 - Aug 30 with 1956 viewsgordon

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:15 - Aug 30 by Bluefish

This has to be the lamest jealousy to a story that I've heard

This is the dullest TWTD bust-up of the year so far.
1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:27 - Aug 30 with 1940 viewsSteve_M

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:21 - Aug 30 by blaggers

I'm pretty sure he had a great chance to equalise away at Maine Road that season, but hit the bar. Those were the days when I would consider driving to Manchester and back on a school night.

It wasn’t just him that night, still don’t know how we lost that game. Nicky Weaver doing handstands on get pitch afterwards - the tw at.

In fairness, we were a bit lucky to win the game at PR that season too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:29 - Aug 30 with 1935 viewsblaggers

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 20:45 - Aug 30 by gainsboroughblue

Ironically, we blew a 2 goal lead on the corresponding weekend of that season.

I also remember getting stuffed 4-1 at home to QPR and a sense of panic setting in amongst the fans, only for Mowbray to return to the starting line up shortly afterwards!

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:32 - Aug 30 with 1927 viewsblaggers

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:14 - Aug 30 by clive_baker

If that’s an attempt to evidence a view that wouldn’t have aged well I’ve got to say that’s an awful example!

For Axeldal, read Giles Coke, or Larsen Touré, or even now Sone Aluko. Squad players who people are moaning about without understanding why they are in the team. (Giles Coke is probably a bad example, but you get the point)

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 22:12 - Aug 30 with 1816 viewsRadlett_blue

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:21 - Aug 30 by blaggers

Axeldal only started one game that season, but came on as sub 19 times. He failed to score for Town in his 26 appearances.
He moved on to Cambridge Utd the next season, actually scoring twice in 19 games.
He hadn't been exactly prolific for Foggia before joining Town, with 3 goals in 36 games.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 22:20 - Aug 30 with 1777 viewstextbackup

Was sitters even born then?

Edit - late with this ‘joke’
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 22:21]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 22:22 - Aug 30 with 1763 viewsSharkey

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 22:12 - Aug 30 by Radlett_blue

Axeldal only started one game that season, but came on as sub 19 times. He failed to score for Town in his 26 appearances.
He moved on to Cambridge Utd the next season, actually scoring twice in 19 games.
He hadn't been exactly prolific for Foggia before joining Town, with 3 goals in 36 games.

He had an extremely neatly calibrated career in Sweden to start with: 45 games for Halmstad, 47 for Malmö, 46 for Öster. Clearly he thought that 50 would be to outstay his welcome.
1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 00:42 - Aug 31 with 1640 viewsSitfcB

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 21:18 - Aug 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Posting? He wasn't even born in 1999 was he? But something along those lines was my initial thought too!

I’ll take that as a compliment but I know it wasn’t intended as one

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 02:28 - Aug 31 with 1591 viewsRyorry

I remember watching him run right in front of me at some ground or other, his legs pumping away furiously but covering little ground, and thinking "oh dear, I could probably run faster than that" (was in my late 40s at the time).

[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 2:31]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 09:25 - Aug 31 with 1366 viewsWeWereZombies

Yeah. but the 'Axel F' chant.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 10:03 - Aug 31 with 1296 viewsRadlett_blue

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 02:28 - Aug 31 by Ryorry

I remember watching him run right in front of me at some ground or other, his legs pumping away furiously but covering little ground, and thinking "oh dear, I could probably run faster than that" (was in my late 40s at the time).

[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 2:31]

Indeed, he used to give the impression of a player who ran around a lot - which is what you would hope from a substitute - but he never seemed to get anywhere.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 16:46 - Aug 31 with 1186 viewsEiffel78

1999 Thread: Why did we sign Jonas Axeldal? He offers nothing going forward... on 20:51 - Aug 30 by PhilTWTD

One moment in particular springs to mind. He had a great chance to score the winner in the league game at Bolton, David Johnson couldn't quite jump high enough to get out of the way. The ball hit Johnson in the knackers and the game ended 1-1.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024