Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? 05:53 - Dec 10 with 1710 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

About 15 minutes into Sam's league debut for us, I posted on here that he is brilliant. He was just what we had been missing. For a month or so, he galvanised the entire team, inspired them, the fans and the owners. His ability to win the ball, turn defence into attack, make great decisions of who to bring in to play, almost never losing the ball, and his overall influence were tremendous. I gave him a 10 for his performance at Wycombe, something I have hardly ever done before.
Then after Wycombe, something has happened. Morsy's play has become stifled, lacklustre, cautious. And it seems to have resulted in the entire team losing confidence. Being team captain and so core to the whole team and ultimately the club is a huge responsibility that must weigh heavy. I can't help wondering if something is not right for Sam. I don't know if he has been able to settle in the area, bring his family here, whether he has an injury or what it is, but it certainly pre-dates PC's departure. I just hope the club is able to give Sam whatever sort of support he needs, as we need Sam to be totally committed to ITFC, proud to wear the shirt, to captain the team, and to lead and inspire those around him. If for some reason he has decided he doesn't want to be here, and I hope to god that's not the case, then he should lose the captaincy, go on the transfer list and train with the U23s. But if it is that he needs support from the club to sort something out and get back to the Sam Morsy we saw for 6 or 7 weeks after he arrived, then I hope to god that the club can do whatever is necessary. He is the key to our success and really could become a club legend.

Poll: would you rather

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 06:42 - Dec 10 with 1601 viewsphillev231069

If something is wrong then in all fairness maybe he should asked to be dropped and get his head sorted out, if he doesn't want to be here then he can buggger off!
Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 06:51 - Dec 10 with 1576 viewsBondiBlue

I have a sneaky feeling he will do just that at wigan.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 07:21 - Dec 10 with 1478 viewsStewart27

He’s gone from being Matt Holland to Grant Leadbitter in 2 months.
Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 08:24 - Dec 10 with 1286 viewsElephantintheRoom

How would you feel if you'd dropped down a division from the armpit that is Middleborough to ann isolated outpost in Suffolk as winter approaches - and your reason for coming here (aside from the wad of cash) was taken away?

To invite you to consider a dose of cold reality - he'll be walking off somewhere else asap

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:00 - Dec 10 with 1180 viewsgramps

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 08:24 - Dec 10 by ElephantintheRoom

How would you feel if you'd dropped down a division from the armpit that is Middleborough to ann isolated outpost in Suffolk as winter approaches - and your reason for coming here (aside from the wad of cash) was taken away?

To invite you to consider a dose of cold reality - he'll be walking off somewhere else asap

Can Morsy go somewhere else? He has already played for 2 clubs this season . Am I correct in thinking that you cannot play for 3?

GRAMPS

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:16 - Dec 10 with 1103 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 08:24 - Dec 10 by ElephantintheRoom

As I said in the OP, his drop in form pre-dated PC's departure by some weeks. So there must be some other reason. And as I speculate, maybe it's something else ), not necessarily mental health per se (as we saw with David McGoldrick). But if his heart isn't in it any more, he needs to relinquish the captaincy and request a transfer, or, as I hope, decides he is up for the challenge and recovers his best self and form.

Poll: would you rather

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:19 - Dec 10 with 1082 viewsElephantintheRoom

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:16 - Dec 10 by LegendofthePhoenix

As I said in the OP, his drop in form pre-dated PC's departure by some weeks. So there must be some other reason. And as I speculate, maybe it's something else ), not necessarily mental health per se (as we saw with David McGoldrick). But if his heart isn't in it any more, he needs to relinquish the captaincy and request a transfer, or, as I hope, decides he is up for the challenge and recovers his best self and form.

You make the mistake of thinking Cook's demise was a spur of the moment decision. The knives were out a long time ago - and this uncertainty and back stabbing soon transfers to the playing staff, none of whom, if we are honest feel at home here.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:22 - Dec 10 with 1074 viewsgordon

Not sure this kind of speculation is fair / useful - the problem was maybe more the way Cook touted him as some kind of saviour, when in reality he's a 30 year-old midfielder who wasn't wanted by a midtable championship side. We had no obvious system or patterns of play or signs of coaching, and players regularly being dropped due to the size of the squad.

It's no wonder that players have lost confidence.
Login to get fewer ads

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:25 - Dec 10 with 1062 viewsgordon

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:19 - Dec 10 by ElephantintheRoom

You make the mistake of thinking Cook's demise was a spur of the moment decision. The knives were out a long time ago - and this uncertainty and back stabbing soon transfers to the playing staff, none of whom, if we are honest feel at home here.

Yes, this new cut-throat environment we've created where the players are cast aside after a few errors and we don't tolerate mediocrity isn't the kind of approach that's proven to improve performances.
Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:49 - Dec 10 with 1000 viewspointofblue

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:25 - Dec 10 by gordon

Yes, this new cut-throat environment we've created where the players are cast aside after a few errors and we don't tolerate mediocrity isn't the kind of approach that's proven to improve performances.

It was the previous manager who installed this approach.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 09:54 - Dec 10 with 981 viewsSamWhiteUK

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 06:51 - Dec 10 by BondiBlue

I have a sneaky feeling he will do just that at wigan.

Yeah, probably to impress Richardson, who has gone on record as saying he would love Morsy in his team.
Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 10:17 - Dec 10 with 900 viewsbluehayes

100% agree, it was the 1st Oldham cup game at home where he was virtually non existent and has not been the same player since. Hopefully it is just a blip in form and he can come back as strong.
Hopefully it was not just a case of overperforming for the first few games at a new club.
Tomorrow we are away to one of his former clubs so that should spur him into a good performance and a win for the blues
Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 10:55 - Dec 10 with 784 viewsBlueBlood90

Only he can look himself in the mirror and decide to care or not. To me it looks that simple at the moment. You can see when a player is running their socks off and it's just not happening for them (i.e. Macauley Bonne) and you can see when a player isn't pulling their weight and that's Sam Morsy to me. We've seen in his first few games how good he can be but if his heart isn't in it then I doubt we'll see much change.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 12:31]

Poll: How many points will we get from Coventry and Huddersfield?

Will the real Sam Morsy please stand up? on 12:09 - Dec 10 with 675 viewsjayessess

I think there's been a lot of unnecessary speculation about Sam Morsy's professionalism, attitude and mental state.

Morsy's been regarded as a model pro at every other club he's played for. Likeliest explanation for his form is our collective form. We're a badly-organised team and that makes almost everyone playing for us look bad, from back to front. As supporters we often discern a lack of effort, where tactical disorientation, confusion and frustration at actually at play.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024