Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warnock time... 09:42 - Dec 16 with 1031 viewsSevenT8

I have to admit that I have had a begrudging respect for Warnock since our tussles with him when he was at Sheffield Utd.

Given our current position, he would be the least worst option for coming in and shaking up our squad, given the realistic alternatives.

Give him an initial 18 month contract with options, nice bonus incentive for getting us up and mentoring an eventual successor.

Poll: When will Gamechanger cancel their visit on Saturday? (GMT)

Warnock time... on 09:54 - Dec 16 with 975 viewsusm

Like you, I used to detest the man in his Sheff Utd days particularly and I still dont like the way he blames others (often the ref) when his teams lose, but I have softened and occasionally find him amusing.
He also knows his way around football and he would probably be a good short term fit for us right now.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Warnock time... on 09:57 - Dec 16 with 951 viewsStokieBlue

Gav - can we get "Warnock" added to the swear filter please?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Warnock time... on 10:12 - Dec 16 with 912 viewsLord_Lucan

Warnock time... on 09:54 - Dec 16 by usm

Like you, I used to detest the man in his Sheff Utd days particularly and I still dont like the way he blames others (often the ref) when his teams lose, but I have softened and occasionally find him amusing.
He also knows his way around football and he would probably be a good short term fit for us right now.

Long time ago I wasn't keen on him but then realised that actually he is a pretty decent bloke. He is also a very good football manager.

I don't understand the problem here. As every game goes we will get further away from any chance of promotion and he is genuinely our only hope this season - and it may be too late anyway - but as Paul Weller said "If it don't work at least we still tried"

He could come here with the knowledge that it is just for the remaining season and we can openly scout and advertise for a new manager whilst he is here - and who knows, someone else may come up who isn't available right now.

Alternatively we could just continue to sink like a stone.

It's got to be Colin
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 10:13]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Warnock time... on 10:18 - Dec 16 with 869 viewsGuthrum

I now have visions of Neil dancing in extremely baggy trousers.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Warnock time... on 10:39 - Dec 16 with 799 viewsSevenT8

Warnock time... on 10:12 - Dec 16 by Lord_Lucan

Long time ago I wasn't keen on him but then realised that actually he is a pretty decent bloke. He is also a very good football manager.

I don't understand the problem here. As every game goes we will get further away from any chance of promotion and he is genuinely our only hope this season - and it may be too late anyway - but as Paul Weller said "If it don't work at least we still tried"

He could come here with the knowledge that it is just for the remaining season and we can openly scout and advertise for a new manager whilst he is here - and who knows, someone else may come up who isn't available right now.

Alternatively we could just continue to sink like a stone.

It's got to be Colin
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 10:13]

Completely agree. The fact that Warnock is close to retirement and would/should have a very clear mandate of stabilising the ship and getting us up the league, is in my book an advantage of appointing him. It gives us the ability to extend our search for a longer-term replacement while (hopefully) making the job more desirable because of he has countered our latent ability to compete.

Poll: When will Gamechanger cancel their visit on Saturday? (GMT)

Warnock time... on 10:57 - Dec 16 with 753 viewsLord_Lucan

Warnock time... on 10:39 - Dec 16 by SevenT8

Completely agree. The fact that Warnock is close to retirement and would/should have a very clear mandate of stabilising the ship and getting us up the league, is in my book an advantage of appointing him. It gives us the ability to extend our search for a longer-term replacement while (hopefully) making the job more desirable because of he has countered our latent ability to compete.

The other thing is that it is plainly clear that there isn't a stand out choice so we run the risk of making a wrong long term decision.

At least with Colin it is a short term thing and it gives us more time to take stock.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Warnock time... on 11:02 - Dec 16 with 726 viewsStokieBlue

Warnock time... on 10:57 - Dec 16 by Lord_Lucan

The other thing is that it is plainly clear that there isn't a stand out choice so we run the risk of making a wrong long term decision.

At least with Colin it is a short term thing and it gives us more time to take stock.

What do you expect him to achieve though?

Am amazing 23 match unbeaten run to get us into the playoffs? Seems unlikely and if he's not going to do that then it's an entirely pointless appointment.

Better off going for the longer-term appointment and getting the team right this season to push on next season.

I simply don't understand the clamour for Warnock, it's baffling to me and against everything the club are supposed to be trying.

I may be wrong, I guess we will see if he's appointed.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Warnock time... on 11:07 - Dec 16 with 703 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Warnock time... on 11:02 - Dec 16 by StokieBlue

Am amazing 23 match unbeaten run to get us into the playoffs? Seems unlikely and if he's not going to do that then it's an entirely pointless appointment.

Better off going for the longer-term appointment and getting the team right this season to push on next season.

I simply don't understand the clamour for Warnock, it's baffling to me and against everything the club are supposed to be trying.

SB

Think that's right. I'd be concerned if that's the route we take because it just doesn't fit with the wider setup. That's not to say Warnock wouldn't stabilise things because I'm sure he would.

Think I'd be ok with a young guy with the right support around him, including a very experienced right hand man. And then we as fans need to really get behind the new man as we always do. Hopefully he can bring a few players in next month to shake things up and it could start to look a lot brighter with a good style of play, well coached players who know how to play the system they're being asked to etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Warnock time... on 11:18 - Dec 16 with 654 viewsDMDC

He is the guy for us at this moment. The team needs a good shake up,with some hardened pros brought in. Warnock is the man to do this. Its what the club needs right now. A young coach wont get the respect and the fans havent the patience anymore to wait for a project. If Warnock could get us up in 18 months we can then look again.
Warnock time... on 11:49 - Dec 16 with 609 viewsLord_Lucan

Warnock time... on 11:07 - Dec 16 by PrideOfTheEast

Think that's right. I'd be concerned if that's the route we take because it just doesn't fit with the wider setup. That's not to say Warnock wouldn't stabilise things because I'm sure he would.

Think I'd be ok with a young guy with the right support around him, including a very experienced right hand man. And then we as fans need to really get behind the new man as we always do. Hopefully he can bring a few players in next month to shake things up and it could start to look a lot brighter with a good style of play, well coached players who know how to play the system they're being asked to etc.

I'm surprised at you TK

We have had a succession of long term appointments who with hindsight have either been out of their depth or haven't bought in their usual no 2 with them, each one has been funded to completely rebuild the squad and all we have done is go backwards.

Get Warnock till the end of the season, let him work with what we have and try and make men out of the poor little darlings - and use the time to do anything except make another rash decision.

Warnock time... on 11:59 - Dec 16 with 558 viewsGuthrum

Warnock time... on 11:02 - Dec 16 by StokieBlue

SB

Unless we take him unitl the end of next season, with a view to getting promoted then. After that he can retire and we hire someone to push through the Championship.

He may not want anything that long, of course. Also, I'm not saying that would be the best way for the club to go. I'd rather we picked the right person for at least the medium term and going forwards.

But it is one way of looking at things.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Warnock time... on 12:13 - Dec 16 with 513 viewsHerbivore

I'd rather piss in my own face than have Warnock as our next manager. The clamour for him is absolutely mental.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Warnock time... on 14:18 - Dec 16 with 398 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Warnock time... on 11:49 - Dec 16 by Lord_Lucan

I'm surprised at you TK

We have had a succession of long term appointments who with hindsight have either been out of their depth or haven't bought in their usual no 2 with them, each one has been funded to completely rebuild the squad and all we have done is go backwards.

Get Warnock till the end of the season, let him work with what we have and try and make men out of the poor little darlings - and use the time to do anything except make another rash decision.

Just think we're better off giving the job to a man that will take us beyond the next 4 months or so. It's important if we go young that they have the right person next to them - completely agree.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024