Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Age when you first took your kids to the footy 10:32 - Jan 9 with 2197 viewsglasso

My daughter (nearly 4) has been getting in my ear about going to the football ever since she got her Foals membership at the start of the season. I've no idea if she'll like it but she's dead excited about meeting Bluey (!) and seems to show an interest in Ipswich, so I kind of don't want to miss the opportunity to get her into the game.

We also get free tickets through the Foals thing, so it's literally a free pass to give it a go this season.

Anyone ever taken a 3/4 year old? How'd it go down?
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 18:45 - Jan 9 with 523 viewsGlasgowBlue

I took my boy to a game when he was 4 but he didn't really know what was going on.

The sweet spot is age 7 imo. Old enough to appreciate what is going on but young enough not to be enticed by the likes of Liverpool and Man U. They fall in love with Ipswich.

It's a form of child cruelty really.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 19:03 - Jan 9 with 516 viewshoppy

Yasmin has had her season ticket since she was 4 days old. She went to her first game at 2 weeks.. and her first away game on the Boxing Day, having been born in October.

She's now 10, and I've just asked her what her thoughts are...

She says the things she remembers from an early age are, seeing Bluey and Crazee - when everyone else gets excited about a goal, they'll enjoy jumping {or being thrown up own the air - and being caught of course!!) the Fanzone is good to take her in before the game, maybe kicking a ball around at half time, if you're taking her in the family section. That's what she can remember from that kind of age (she sat next to me, dictating this response!).

Taking her from such an early age, it's something she's always grown up knowing and being part of. It also meant it was something we were still able to do as a family, not having to decide who was going, and who would stay home with her. She also says now - she enjoys watching the game, and getting into that more, singing the songs (appropriate ones) - she got disappointed when Colchester were playing us earlier in the season, that she couldn't sing the Ohhh Freddie Freddie one that she always liked singing! She still has her phone with her to play on, so she's still not fully into watching the whole game, but the overall experience is an enjoyable one.

By the way... at almost 4, I'm impressed your daughter already has a Foals membership - I saw them play in Thetford Forest a few years back, and really enjoyed them - good band!! ;)

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 19:07 - Jan 9 with 509 viewsnorth_stand77

Took my 2 boys when they were 5 and 7 and they loved it.
Took my 2 girls when they were 7 and 9 ...and they hated it!

One son still comes to all home games with me, something he's done for about 17 years (he's now 36), which is lovely.
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 19:38 - Jan 9 with 473 viewsBiGDonnie

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 19:07 - Jan 9 by north_stand77

Took my 2 boys when they were 5 and 7 and they loved it.
Took my 2 girls when they were 7 and 9 ...and they hated it!

One son still comes to all home games with me, something he's done for about 17 years (he's now 36), which is lovely.

I've actually got a memory of discussing with you on a thread (which would have been 11 years ago) saying you'd seen me with my baby boy in the north upper during the game? Can't remember who our opponent was, but Begovic was our keeper.

Edit - it would have been with the cgs username!
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 19:39]

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 19:50 - Jan 9 with 457 viewsnorth_stand77

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 19:38 - Jan 9 by BiGDonnie

I've actually got a memory of discussing with you on a thread (which would have been 11 years ago) saying you'd seen me with my baby boy in the north upper during the game? Can't remember who our opponent was, but Begovic was our keeper.

Edit - it would have been with the cgs username!
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 19:39]

Ah yes, I do vaguely remember that! I'm still sitting in the North Stand upper!
Does your little boy go now?
I took my 5 year old grandaughter recently. She was very well behaved but not keen to go again!!
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 20:00 - Jan 9 with 453 viewsblueislander

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 19:50 - Jan 9 by north_stand77

I took my 5 year old grandaughter recently. She was very well behaved but not keen to go again!!

Took my eldest when aged 7 to the Goldstone when D’Avray scored the winner in the last minute. My sons now in their mid 40s and never having lived in Ipswich , and probably see an average of 2 to 3 games a season are still big fans. I am proud of that.
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 20:01 - Jan 9 with 451 viewsBiGDonnie

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 19:50 - Jan 9 by north_stand77

Ah no, did she not enjoy it? Did the weather play a part or were we just rubbish?

He's not so little anymore, but he's been to a couple with us this season and absolutely loves it. You can see the handsome sod in Alex Griffins Gillingham coverage on YouTube from yesterday celebrating Chaplins goal!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 20:35 - Jan 9 with 427 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 18:43 - Jan 9 by glasso

Yeah I guess it's a kind of selfish thing as well - something I enjoy that I can do with her - but I wanna see if she's into it early because being a girl, I think they get overlooked. My wife's whole family are Villa season ticket holders and all the boys went when they were young. They just assumed she wouldn't want to and she was never included. Now the 'kids' are all in their 30s and have moved as far away as Devon, but all the men in the family get together at home matches and are still season ticket holders.

It's cool if she hates it. No biggie. But I wanna say I at least tried rather than just shipping her off to ballet cos she's a girl!

Junior was a mascot aged about 9 against Derby I think. Tommy Smith almost power drove her into the turf during the line up. She also did ballet at the time, loved both but still comes to footy now and again...

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Login to get fewer ads

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 20:38 - Jan 9 with 426 viewsnorth_stand77

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 20:01 - Jan 9 by BiGDonnie

Ah no, did she not enjoy it? Did the weather play a part or were we just rubbish?

He's not so little anymore, but he's been to a couple with us this season and absolutely loves it. You can see the handsome sod in Alex Griffins Gillingham coverage on YouTube from yesterday celebrating Chaplins goal!

The weather wasn't great and it was a poor game! Maybe she was just a bit too young. Hopefully she will see the light eventually tho.

Glad your lad is enjoying it.
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 20:55 - Jan 9 with 419 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

I first took my daughter when she was 6. She's now 19 and a season ticket holder. 🙂
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 21:01 - Jan 9 with 419 viewstextbackup

took my oldest when she was about 4 i think, only a cup game...

now aged 9 she wants a ST, as too does her younger sister. so different match days for me from next season

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 21:56 - Jan 9 with 397 viewsOsborneOneNil

Took my eldest to his first game aged 5. Away at Pompey.

We were 0-1 down, also down to 10 men and scored a late equaliser. Went mental.
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 22:00 - Jan 9 with 392 viewsVic

I was 32 when I first took my lad to Portman Road.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 10:11 - Jan 10 with 335 viewsglasso

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 19:03 - Jan 9 by hoppy

Yasmin has had her season ticket since she was 4 days old. She went to her first game at 2 weeks.. and her first away game on the Boxing Day, having been born in October.

She's now 10, and I've just asked her what her thoughts are...

She says the things she remembers from an early age are, seeing Bluey and Crazee - when everyone else gets excited about a goal, they'll enjoy jumping {or being thrown up own the air - and being caught of course!!) the Fanzone is good to take her in before the game, maybe kicking a ball around at half time, if you're taking her in the family section. That's what she can remember from that kind of age (she sat next to me, dictating this response!).

Taking her from such an early age, it's something she's always grown up knowing and being part of. It also meant it was something we were still able to do as a family, not having to decide who was going, and who would stay home with her. She also says now - she enjoys watching the game, and getting into that more, singing the songs (appropriate ones) - she got disappointed when Colchester were playing us earlier in the season, that she couldn't sing the Ohhh Freddie Freddie one that she always liked singing! She still has her phone with her to play on, so she's still not fully into watching the whole game, but the overall experience is an enjoyable one.

By the way... at almost 4, I'm impressed your daughter already has a Foals membership - I saw them play in Thetford Forest a few years back, and really enjoyed them - good band!! ;)

Haha yeah she's not one of Foals' better known members but she's a whizz on the maracas...

Thanks for this. I think your whole thing about Bluey/Crazee and the Fan Zone etc is what I'm going for - hopefully she'll enjoy the day out even if the football's too confusing for her
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 10:33 - Jan 10 with 325 viewshoppy

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 10:11 - Jan 10 by glasso

Haha yeah she's not one of Foals' better known members but she's a whizz on the maracas...

Thanks for this. I think your whole thing about Bluey/Crazee and the Fan Zone etc is what I'm going for - hopefully she'll enjoy the day out even if the football's too confusing for her

She must've been missing the day I saw them, as I don't recall any maracas section...

Hopefully she'll enjoy that and will want to go again, as familiarity will add to the experience. Yasmin still goes over to say hello to Bluey when he appears in the stairwell near our seats in the SAR lower even now.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024