Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* 12:49 - Mar 24 with 2688 viewsHipsterectomy

*if you had to guess

McKenna seems to have used what he has decently enough and played to their strengths. If we keep Jackson as McKenna has hinted at and have Piggot then that’s two sorted. Despite his connections, I doubt he will gamble on a young player from Utd or Spurs…I also think a lower league player won’t be bought, as a gamble, as it’s gonna be shT or bust (unless there is significant chance of resale value). So I wonder if we’ll go for fringe Championship strikers with the money we have to offer and a League 1 prolific striker who suits our style…easier typed than found I’m sure
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 12:50]

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 12:54 - Mar 24 with 2199 viewsFrimleyBlue

2 x Jackson types imo.

Fast. High levels of stamina. Ability to keep defenders busy and create pockets of space for others to go into.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:00 - Mar 24 with 2160 viewsjasondozzell

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 12:54 - Mar 24 by FrimleyBlue

2 x Jackson types imo.

Fast. High levels of stamina. Ability to keep defenders busy and create pockets of space for others to go into.

Yeah, I agree. I think mobility and acceleration are what McKenna really values in that position for the fantastic style of play he sets us up for. Obviously we aren’t a team that’s going to be pumping it in for knockdowns or headers much; neither are we looking for a foil for another striker. He’ll want someone athletic who can do a lot of running, pull people out of place and get on the end iof those cut backs and cute through balls.

For my money, he’ll keep Jackson and Bonne because they can both do this. Feel we owe Bonne after his form in the first half season and his emotional attachment to club. He’s a very good player going through a dry spell. He has pace, is physical, can hold it up and is good technically.

I think Jackson will also play a big role.

Add another Jackson like striker with that acceleration and pace and I think we’ll be there.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 13:01]
What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:22 - Mar 24 with 2051 viewsRobTheMonk

Norwood will be off.

Bonne has struggled in recent months but has some good will in the bag from earlier in the season. Will that be enough? Not so sure...

Piggot has done nothing to suggest he should be anywhere near my amateur 5 a side team, let alone the ITFC first team.

Jackson looks the most likely to stay.
What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:31 - Mar 24 with 2007 viewsBlueBadger

Having Piggot is like not having a striker.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:46 - Mar 24 with 1938 viewsGarv

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:22 - Mar 24 by RobTheMonk

Norwood will be off.

Bonne has struggled in recent months but has some good will in the bag from earlier in the season. Will that be enough? Not so sure...

Piggot has done nothing to suggest he should be anywhere near my amateur 5 a side team, let alone the ITFC first team.

I think Norwood would be kept on if he is comfortable with not being first choice. Whatever style we play, and the current one doesn't suit him, in this league it's not going to harm you to have a player like him in your squad. Everything we hear suggests he wants to stay and while his limited minutes recently might change that, he might still want to be a part of McKenna's project if it continues on the current path.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:49 - Mar 24 with 1912 viewslazyblue

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:46 - Mar 24 by Garv

I think Norwood would be kept on if he is comfortable with not being first choice. Whatever style we play, and the current one doesn't suit him, in this league it's not going to harm you to have a player like him in your squad. Everything we hear suggests he wants to stay and while his limited minutes recently might change that, he might still want to be a part of McKenna's project if it continues on the current path.

Norwood and Bonne will be gone .
What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:54 - Mar 24 with 1885 viewsIllinoisblue

One that can score 20+ in a season would be nice

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:05 - Mar 24 with 1837 viewsmarkchips

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:49 - Mar 24 by lazyblue

Norwood and Bonne will be gone .

Can't see any of Norwood, Bonne or Pigott staying. Jackson has an outside chance but it would be as fourth choice and as a cheap option.

All of their stats are absolutely dire. How can you possibly retain Bonne when he hasn't scored in half a season and Pigott for nearly a whole one. Norwood isn't being played.. Jackson was on his way out and has had a few good games, not enough to convince me I am afraid.

If the budget permits I would go all out for proven, consistent scorers at this level and then play them together to build up a strong relationship through the season. Taking chances on loan strikers, lower league players and hoping the likes of Pigott come good is not an option. I am sure Ashton and the schoolteacher will pick well.
Login to get fewer ads

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:18 - Mar 24 with 1785 viewshype313

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:22 - Mar 24 by RobTheMonk

Norwood will be off.

Agreed, Norwood will be off without doubt.

I would imagine they will look to shift on Pigott and Bonne will probably go back, but could be kept on if QPR decide they want him off the wage bill and we could do a deal that makes financial sense for us, but I'm still 50/50 on that.

Jackson will stay, he looks like a completely different player under McKenna, and whilst his scoring stats aren't great I don't think McKenna's overly bothered, it's all about creating space for the likes of Chaplin, Aluko, Celina, Burns et al to get in and cause havoc, and he does that well.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:21 - Mar 24 with 1770 viewsFrimleyBlue

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:18 - Mar 24 by hype313

Agreed, Norwood will be off without doubt.

I would imagine they will look to shift on Pigott and Bonne will probably go back, but could be kept on if QPR decide they want him off the wage bill and we could do a deal that makes financial sense for us, but I'm still 50/50 on that.

Jackson will stay, he looks like a completely different player under McKenna, and whilst his scoring stats aren't great I don't think McKenna's overly bothered, it's all about creating space for the likes of Chaplin, Aluko, Celina, Burns et al to get in and cause havoc, and he does that well.

I'm intrigued to see if KM can unlock some finishing from Edwards.. with his pace. Stamina and tricks could he be a potential for a false 9 role?

Waka waka eh eh

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:22 - Mar 24 with 1766 viewsIpswichKnight

We’ll defo try to bag one from the championship and probably a PL reserve/u23 striker that would be my guess. Think we’ll keep Jackson but wouldn’t be surprised if we release or sell the rest.
What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:22 - Mar 24 with 1762 viewsMookamoo

Can we ask for Charlie McNeill on loan?
What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:44 - Mar 24 with 1695 viewsjayessess

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:05 - Mar 24 by markchips

Can't see any of Norwood, Bonne or Pigott staying. Jackson has an outside chance but it would be as fourth choice and as a cheap option.

All of their stats are absolutely dire. How can you possibly retain Bonne when he hasn't scored in half a season and Pigott for nearly a whole one. Norwood isn't being played.. Jackson was on his way out and has had a few good games, not enough to convince me I am afraid.

If the budget permits I would go all out for proven, consistent scorers at this level and then play them together to build up a strong relationship through the season. Taking chances on loan strikers, lower league players and hoping the likes of Pigott come good is not an option. I am sure Ashton and the schoolteacher will pick well.

When you're recruiting a striker in L1 there's very little chance you're going to recruit someone who's an absolute sure thing.

Pigott had 49 goals in his last 119 games (his last 3 seasons) when we signed him, which is better than 2 in every 5. Bonne had scored 11 in 33 for a relegated Championship team. I can't see that we could realistically recruit multiple strikers with a better career profile.

Last Summer showed we can take players off other L1 teams (bar Sunderland) and can compete with bottom half Championship teams. That realistically means you're looking at players like Bonne who haven't cut it in the Championship or like Pigott, who've had a good season for a L1 team.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer? on 14:47 - Mar 24 with 1675 viewsHipsterectomy

Norwood will be off.

I’m not sure about Bonne. I would love him to stay and do well for us. I’m not sure how much McKenna would have been impressed by Bonne since he’s been manager and it’s up to McKenna who stays. The club can also use the excuse that finances were too much/couldn’t agree a deal with QPR if they wanted to.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer? on 14:50 - Mar 24 with 1661 viewsjayessess

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer? on 14:47 - Mar 24 by Hipsterectomy

I’m not sure about Bonne. I would love him to stay and do well for us. I’m not sure how much McKenna would have been impressed by Bonne since he’s been manager and it’s up to McKenna who stays. The club can also use the excuse that finances were too much/couldn’t agree a deal with QPR if they wanted to.

We've got 7 games left. If he plays like he did against Oxford second half, scores a few goals, then I think "probably not" becomes "let's see what we can do".

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:50 - Mar 24 with 1659 viewsVic

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:54 - Mar 24 by Illinoisblue

One that can score 20+ in a season would be nice

Two that can score 15 each a season would be even better!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:53 - Mar 24 with 1643 viewsSheffordBlue

Wouldn't surprise me if as well as a younger striker or two they bring in an Aluko/Caroll type striker. Older with more higher level experience but on a short term contract.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:55 - Mar 24 with 1635 viewshype313

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 14:21 - Mar 24 by FrimleyBlue

I'm intrigued to see if KM can unlock some finishing from Edwards.. with his pace. Stamina and tricks could he be a potential for a false 9 role?

Think the first job for him and McKenna to do is improve his end product before he even thinks about using him as a false 9, he has all the skills to get past his opposite number, but no good when he keeps hitting the club shop window or the crossbar on Alderman Road.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 15:58 - Mar 24 with 1450 viewstextbackup

Billy Sharp and Jed wallace

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 16:13 - Mar 24 with 1404 viewsKieran_Knows

A better version of Jackson.

Ashton signed many players from France in his time at Bristol City (plus Celina), so he clearly has many contacts that way. I wonder if we'll see someone from Ligue 2 or similar. I know he said last summer recruitment was more based in the UK whilst we're in League 1, but with the cash behind us I'm sure we could entice a few more players over from foreign shores.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 16:23 - Mar 24 with 1376 viewsHullblue

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 13:00 - Mar 24 by jasondozzell

Yeah, I agree. I think mobility and acceleration are what McKenna really values in that position for the fantastic style of play he sets us up for. Obviously we aren’t a team that’s going to be pumping it in for knockdowns or headers much; neither are we looking for a foil for another striker. He’ll want someone athletic who can do a lot of running, pull people out of place and get on the end iof those cut backs and cute through balls.

For my money, he’ll keep Jackson and Bonne because they can both do this. Feel we owe Bonne after his form in the first half season and his emotional attachment to club. He’s a very good player going through a dry spell. He has pace, is physical, can hold it up and is good technically.

I think Jackson will also play a big role.

Add another Jackson like striker with that acceleration and pace and I think we’ll be there.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 13:01]

You can make a case for keeping Jackson and Bonne but both have shown they're capable of going long spells without scoring and I don't think we can afford to carry two like that. Especially if we're going to have Piggott on the books as well.

For me we'd only keep Jackson, because even if he's not scoring he pushes defences deeper with his pace and presses amazingly. And he can play wide, too.

It hurts to say because I love MB, but he just hasn't shown enough in the last few months, for me. Hopefully he can prove me wrong in these last few games - but even then there'd be a question mark given how long he's been MIA for.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 16:34 - Mar 24 with 1332 viewstractorboy1978

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 16:13 - Mar 24 by Kieran_Knows

A better version of Jackson.

Ashton signed many players from France in his time at Bristol City (plus Celina), so he clearly has many contacts that way. I wonder if we'll see someone from Ligue 2 or similar. I know he said last summer recruitment was more based in the UK whilst we're in League 1, but with the cash behind us I'm sure we could entice a few more players over from foreign shores.

Work permits will be the issue post Brexit.
What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 16:43 - Mar 24 with 1297 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tyler Walker maybe?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 16:53 - Mar 24 with 1267 viewsKieran_Knows

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 16:34 - Mar 24 by tractorboy1978

Ah yes, hadn't thought of that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 17:01 - Mar 24 with 1240 viewsFrimleyBlue

What kind of strikers will we go for in the summer?* on 16:34 - Mar 24 by tractorboy1978

What stops us being able to go into the foreign market. Is it transfer fees not being high enough and salarys?

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024