Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Highlights 13:19 - Aug 31 with 1305 viewsportmanroadblue

Watching the highlights from last night, was that Northampton's full team on show? because there defending was shocking!!!!

From the comments we played well, but did we or was it just horrendous defending?
Highlights on 13:22 - Aug 31 with 1266 viewsMediocre_Quick

Are you really whinging about us winning 6-0 against a lesser opponent?

Get in the bin
Highlights on 13:26 - Aug 31 with 1228 viewsportmanroadblue

Highlights on 13:22 - Aug 31 by Mediocre_Quick

Are you really whinging about us winning 6-0 against a lesser opponent?

Get in the bin

Asking a question, if you dont like it, do one.
Highlights on 13:28 - Aug 31 with 1203 viewsMetal_Hacker

Not sure really but I do remember someone suggesting in commentary it was a young side , that said we were not at FULL strength so.....

You can only beat what's in front of you

Poll: If it were one or the other

Highlights on 13:29 - Aug 31 with 1198 viewsclive_baker

Just watched the 10 minutes extended highlights on iFollow and had exactly the same thought. They looked criminally bad, almost looked a beaten team before they started, casual shrugs of the shoulders when we score etc. Don't think it's their 1st XI though, mostly yoof and ressies.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Highlights on 13:29 - Aug 31 with 1195 viewsVaughan8

Match report says 6 players changed from the weekend.
Highlights on 13:30 - Aug 31 with 1181 viewsITFC_RDM

They made 6 changes (5 outfield) - they were pretty poor.

However we were superb, great press and used the ball very well in possession. Not many L2 teams, even full strength would have ben able to deal with us last night. Also important to remember we made 11 changes.
Highlights on 13:31 - Aug 31 with 1162 viewsSheffordBlue

It wasn't their regular starting 11 and to their credit they were trying to play football rather than sit deep and flood the space. I think a lot of managers view this competition as a form of competitive friendlies where you can experiment and therefore they might have achieved some of what they wanted to get out of it even if they got battered!

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Highlights on 13:32 - Aug 31 with 1132 viewsSE1blue

Don't underestimate how good the Ipswich 'press' was in the first half. We smothered them and push forward constantly in the opening half. As Westlake commented throughout, their defender had no idea how to handle Edwards and kept having to adjust his game.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Login to get fewer ads

Highlights on 13:35 - Aug 31 with 1102 viewshomer_123

The first 30 mins or so, we were excellent regardless of the quality of the opposition. Given we had a second XI on show, Edwards, Aluko, Harness, Legih, Ball and co caused big problems that N'hampton couldn't cope with.

Aluko dropping into the space made it very difficult for him to be picked up. Edwards was extremely effective down the right, causing Dyche's son all sorts of problems time and again (two assists for him and a third if you count the miscontrol for Ladapos goal). Ball ran the midfield in the first half - Humphreys played some lovely passes.

The press in that first 30 caused the opposition to give up possession numerous times. We really were very good.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Highlights on 13:41 - Aug 31 with 1064 views66notout

Northampton’s central defenders had a combined age of 35.
Highlights on 13:41 - Aug 31 with 1065 viewsMullet

Highlights on 13:29 - Aug 31 by clive_baker

Just watched the 10 minutes extended highlights on iFollow and had exactly the same thought. They looked criminally bad, almost looked a beaten team before they started, casual shrugs of the shoulders when we score etc. Don't think it's their 1st XI though, mostly yoof and ressies.

The way we went 2 nil up so quickly and easily killed them off. You could see by an hour in they had nothing to fear from just trying their hardest.

Felt the same about Sziba when he came on. Was trying to to score from anywhere or hit a magic ball to catch the eye. Was nice to see, but if he wants to feature I suspect McKenna will do some work with him on that aspect.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Highlights on 13:48 - Aug 31 with 998 viewsBarcaBlue

Highlights on 13:31 - Aug 31 by SheffordBlue

It wasn't their regular starting 11 and to their credit they were trying to play football rather than sit deep and flood the space. I think a lot of managers view this competition as a form of competitive friendlies where you can experiment and therefore they might have achieved some of what they wanted to get out of it even if they got battered!

I was expecting a Div 2 Burton, all hoof and puff but they were more Div 2 MKD to their credit. Some of the defending was pretty poor but with 6 changes it's to be expected.

Out press, particularly in the first half was suffocating and not surprised the defence looked shellshocked at times.
Highlights on 13:49 - Aug 31 with 990 viewsportmanroadblue

Highlights on 13:26 - Aug 31 by portmanroadblue

Asking a question, if you dont like it, do one.

Thanks, kinda what I thought, great for momentum and minutes for the players, lets hope we continue the same against higher opposition on Saturday. Its good to see systems and work ethics applying to all the squad, something I feel has been missing for several years.
Highlights on 17:38 - Aug 31 with 639 viewsTerra_Farma

'their
Highlights on 17:50 - Aug 31 with 613 viewsjayessess

We've struggled in similar circumstances after making changes, nice that we didn't this time.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 18:03]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024