Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Come on own up 21:02 - Nov 30 with 4580 viewsgtsb1966

Who said they weren't interested in this world cup because of the corruption, human rights issues, time of year ,and wouldn't watch much of it, if any, but are watching a game every day. I'll hold my hands up.
Come on own up on 08:32 - Dec 2 with 1433 viewsPlums

Come on own up on 08:21 - Dec 2 by textbackup

What a hero

It's very nice of you to say so but the real heroes are the families of the dead workers who are now finding other means to support their children without the bread winners.
Have a nice day
[Post edited 2 Dec 2022 8:34]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Come on own up on 08:44 - Dec 2 with 1415 viewsCobboldCrusty

Come on own up on 15:39 - Dec 1 by monytowbray

Most I've seen was 5 minutes of a game lastnight, because I just so happened to be facing the TV whilst in the pub talking to my mates.

I just don't care. If you are political and believe in human rights, why bother? If you love football and are fed up with the corruption of Fifa, why bother?

I think part of the appeal is the WC/Euros are largely every other Summer we get some football. If it interrupts normal season I have as much time for it as the Pizza Cup. Club over country, etc.

That being said, I wouldn't watch it if it was on in the Summer either.

This is spot on I think.

As news from the games comes through and it has got increasingly dramatic, I've found it increasingly hard not to be drawn in. I had to go for a walk when England v Wales started to distract myself.

The thing to remember is, even if you're only making a tiny difference, if you have chosen not to watch these games (for reasons of corruption, deaths of workers, LGBT and womens' rights, I could go on) then stating it and telling people is a good thing to do because it demonstrates that this is not what football means to you. If you can say 'I love football, but this is not what I signed up for' and follow through on that in your actions, that can be powerful even as an individual.
Come on own up on 09:19 - Dec 2 with 1391 viewsjeera

What a hero

It's literally the point of the thread.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Come on own up on 14:51 - Dec 2 with 1350 viewsCobboldCrusty

Come on own up on 00:22 - Dec 1 by CrayonKing

Yea. Guilty as charged.

In my defence I do a lot of matched betting so I have a financial interest in most matches, but even so I've watched and enjoyed nearly all of it.

What has bothered me is how the punditry and commentary has changed since it started. To begin with there was a lot of talk of human rights, FIFA corruption etc, and there was a feeling that this World Cup should be treated differently. A few good group games later and suddenly the narrative is all positive - "great crowds", "fantastic stadia" (never a mention of the poor sods who died building them). Seems like the sportwashing is going well after a shaky start :(

Was fortunate enough to be interviewed about this and expressed the fear that this exact thing would happen. Sadly, it has turned out to be true - I haven't watched coverage but by all accounts there has been a lack of attention on human rights issues etc. I think the problem is that the positive talk about the football also creates a legacy unto itself. If the football and the inevitable iconic on-pitch moments that will come later in the tournament become the main talking point, it is hard for mainstream media to revert to taking a critical angle towards all of the obvious issues with the tournament. Against the football viewer's better nature, they will be left with the image of the Mbappe/Kane/Messi/Neymar winner in the final or whatever happens. That attachment and association goes beyond morals, because the moral question has been swept aside.
Come on own up on 15:11 - Dec 2 with 1306 viewsGlasgowBlue

What a hero

Anyone who has boycotted watching this World Cup on the grounds of human rights issue and FIFA corruption but watched the 2018 World Cup in Russia, 4 years after the annexation of Crimea, 6 years after the crackdown on LGBTI rights, 6 years after Navalny's first arrest, 12 years after the poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko in London and just 3 months after the poisoning of Sergei and Yulia Skripal in Salisbury, is a massive hypocrite and most likely an attention seeker if they feel the needs to tell everybody that they are doing so.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Come on own up on 15:24 - Dec 2 with 1301 viewsSpruceMoose

Come on own up on 08:32 - Dec 2 by Plums

It's very nice of you to say so but the real heroes are the families of the dead workers who are now finding other means to support their children without the bread winners.
Have a nice day
[Post edited 2 Dec 2022 8:34]

Some people have very little else going on in their lives other than football and whatever they get up to around the house. These people were never going to not be fully invested in the World Cup, whatever the cost to others.

July and August when it isn't a World Cup or Euro year must be hell for them.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Come on own up on 17:48 - Dec 3 with 1220 viewstextbackup

Come on own up on 15:24 - Dec 2 by SpruceMoose

Some people have very little else going on in their lives other than football and whatever they get up to around the house. These people were never going to not be fully invested in the World Cup, whatever the cost to others.

lol

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Come on own up on 17:55 - Dec 3 with 1210 viewsgtsb1966

Come on own up on 17:48 - Dec 3 by textbackup

lol

That was my reaction. Such a weird post.
Login to get fewer ads

Come on own up on 17:57 - Dec 3 with 1211 viewsTrequartista

Come on own up on 15:11 - Dec 2 by GlasgowBlue

Anyone who has boycotted watching this World Cup on the grounds of human rights issue and FIFA corruption but watched the 2018 World Cup in Russia, 4 years after the annexation of Crimea, 6 years after the crackdown on LGBTI rights, 6 years after Navalny's first arrest, 12 years after the poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko in London and just 3 months after the poisoning of Sergei and Yulia Skripal in Salisbury, is a massive hypocrite and most likely an attention seeker if they feel the needs to tell everybody that they are doing so.

I watched the 1978 world cup when the host nation were holding political prisoners in concentration camps within a mile of one of the grounds, so i'm pretty much committed unless ISIS host the next one.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Come on own up on 18:00 - Dec 3 with 1205 viewstextbackup

Come on own up on 17:55 - Dec 3 by gtsb1966

That was my reaction. Such a weird post.

incredible isnt it, that football fans would be interested in a major football tournament.

and that years without them, you feel a bit "ah wish it was a WC/Euro year"

but hey, we can't all be as cool as those that have millions of other things happening in their lives that football doesnt matter.

i mean you have to question tho, if football is so unimportant to them, why post on a football forum....

Come on own up on 18:05 - Dec 3 with 1196 viewsDJR

Not seen much at all, but maybe it's easier for me when I don't support any of the teams.

Interesting to see a report that Qatar is hoping to win the rights to stage the 2036 Olympics on the back of hosting the World Cup.

Maybe sportswashing does work, as the focus on its human rights' record seems to have faded.
Come on own up on 18:16 - Dec 3 with 1188 viewsGlasgowBlue

Come on own up on 15:24 - Dec 2 by SpruceMoose

When has there ever been a World Cup or Euros that has taken place in July and August? A real football fan would know those tournaments usually take place from mid June to mid July.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Come on own up on 18:18 - Dec 3 with 1192 viewsDJR

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that because there didn't seem to be the same public or political backlash against Russia at the time, not least because the West (with Obama in charge) almost seemed to acquiesce in the Crimean annexation. I may be wrong, but I sense at that time that the West thought it could still do business with Putin, and was keen to bring Russia into the fold. You also have to bear in mind that Trump seemed to admire Putin.
Come on own up on 18:37 - Dec 3 with 1178 viewsWD19

Nope. Not a total boycott, but I have watched very little and not really kept up with what is going on. Bailed on the 2nd half of the most recent England game and watched little of the first one choosing to actually do work on my laptop instead.

Maybe I am just old.
Come on own up on 18:41 - Dec 3 with 1176 viewsPlums

Woah! Hope you don't trip on the way to those conclusions you're leaping to.

As I've posted on here a few times, I was fortunate enough to watch http://www.theworkerscupfilm.com/ in 2018 with a leading academic in the world of football politics, a well respected journalist and one of the producers. I decided there and then that I wanted no part of it. My issue is with the venues. Some of the poorest people in the world died building them and there are no memorials, no minutes silence. Nothing.
The world is literally having a festival of football on their graves.

It was scandalous that Russia got the World Cup and the Winter Olympics and with hindsight, I agree it left a sour taste but hypocrites? No. Are we no longer allowed to learn and change behaviours?

As for attention seeking, there was a question asked and a handful of people responded to it. It's hardly 'telling everybody that they are doing so'. Forgive me for posting about football on a football forum...

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Come on own up on 18:43 - Dec 3 with 1180 viewsSpruceMoose

Come on own up on 18:00 - Dec 3 by textbackup

incredible isnt it, that football fans would be interested in a major football tournament.

but hey, we can't all be as cool as those that have millions of other things happening in their lives that football doesnt matter.

i mean you have to question tho, if football is so unimportant to them, why post on a football forum....

I mean, you came into the thread taking the piss out of someone who was expressing concern about humans rights abuses in the background to the tournament, so don't get all sensitive when you get a bit of stick back. If you play the idiot people tend to treat you like one.

We all could have guessed that you wouldn't give a toss about all of the context of the tournament, just like we could have guessed that you'd be falling over yourself to tell us all how little you care, but why try and belittle others that do care and want to discuss it?

I post on a football forum to discuss football, even when it results in the death of migrant workers, if that's ok by you? You can stick your head in the sand but don't expect others to.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

So they can gob off.... on 18:44 - Dec 3 with 1173 viewsBloots

Come on own up on 18:00 - Dec 3 by textbackup

....to strangers on the internet and get a semi on when they get an upvote.

They can feel manly and popular.

For once.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

So they can gob off.... on 18:55 - Dec 3 with 1158 viewsSpruceMoose

So they can gob off.... on 18:44 - Dec 3 by Bloots

....to strangers on the internet and get a semi on when they get an upvote.

They can feel manly and popular.

For once.

Here he is!

Hi Sprucers.... on 18:59 - Dec 3 with 1129 viewsBloots

So they can gob off.... on 18:55 - Dec 3 by SpruceMoose

Here he is!

....how you doing mate?

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Come on own up on 18:59 - Dec 3 with 1132 viewstextbackup

Come on own up on 18:43 - Dec 3 by SpruceMoose

I mean, you came into the thread taking the piss out of someone who was expressing concern about humans rights abuses in the background to the tournament, so don't get all sensitive when you get a bit of stick back. If you play the idiot people tend to treat you like one.

We all could have guessed that you wouldn't give a toss about all of the context of the tournament, just like we could have guessed that you'd be falling over yourself to tell us all how little you care, but why try and belittle others that do care and want to discuss it?

I post on a football forum to discuss football, even when it results in the death of migrant workers, if that's ok by you? You can stick your head in the sand but don't expect others to.

At what point did he express his concerns in the thread, prior to my initial reply?

My reply was back to a post simply saying ‘sticking to my guns’ I didn’t know his opinion or reasons for not watching.

I’m not sure I’ve given any opinion on the subject, or fallen over myself for anything. Will happily be pointed to where I have tho.

Never change you play this role fantastically.

Off to watch Oz vs Argies, did you want the score updates?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 19:01]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024