Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PR attendances 12:36 - Dec 22 with 4096 viewsOldFart71

With the goings on at PR and the probability of the ground being developed further to that some seem to think the current capacity at in or around 30,000 is sufficient. I challenge that as if the Boxing Day figure is approaching 29,000 and only 400 are Oxford fans that means that 28,600 are Town fans and whilst it has always been a tradition for some who the last time visited PR was when footballers wore hobnailed boots and footballs had laces frequent PR for the first time since then it would seem to follow that given the possibility of teams like Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool making an appearance at PR or even before that challenging to get into the Premier league a capacity of around 35,000 would be nearer the mark. Added to that the Cobbold Stand was opened in season 70-71 so over 50 years old. Still not in bad condition, but obscured viewing and pretty poor hospitality boxes make it unfit for todays fans and corporate alike.
PR attendances on 12:38 - Dec 22 with 4046 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Official capacity is now 29,600 but I would imagine a redeveloped Cobbold stand would need to extend slightly into Portman Road and the road narrowed to facilitate this.

This would tie in with the creation of a 'leisure district' what with Crown Pools being relocated on the car park.

If all that was achievable an increased capacity of 35,000 is possible but the Magnus might need to be enhanced too.

Poll: Final points total?

PR attendances on 12:51 - Dec 22 with 3964 viewsRadlett_blue

Town only really need a bigger ground if we are in the PL. If we get there, the TV income dwarfs the extra revenue from a bigger ground so I don't see the return.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

PR attendances on 12:54 - Dec 22 with 3943 viewsSteve_M

Can we get some success first before we expand the ground and ruin everything again please?

Capacity is fine at the moment, slightly more demand than seats is the ideal scenario. 13,000 in a 30,000 capacity ground definitely isn't.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

PR attendances on 12:57 - Dec 22 with 3949 viewsPhilTWTD

Cobbold development will happen eventually but not for a while.

Ashton: Cobbold Stand Has a Lifespan 9th Nov 2021 11:03
CEO Mark Ashton says the Cobbold Stand will require redevelopment of some type at some point given its age but that the club is looking at the stadium in a holistic manner rather than at any stand individually. 25

PR attendances on 13:20 - Dec 22 with 3787 viewsFtnfwest

PR attendances on 12:57 - Dec 22 by PhilTWTD

Cobbold development will happen eventually but not for a while.

Ashton: Cobbold Stand Has a Lifespan 9th Nov 2021 11:03
CEO Mark Ashton says the Cobbold Stand will require redevelopment of some type at some point given its age but that the club is looking at the stadium in a holistic manner rather than at any stand individually. 25

I’d also say that whilst there are long term plans I don’t think they will involve a significant capacity increase. I don’t think for instance we’ll ever need more than say 34-35k. For a relatively small structure the capacity of cobbold is already surprisingly high
PR attendances on 13:21 - Dec 22 with 3770 viewssouthnorfolkblue

It’s a massive risk though. Our track record in ground redevelopment has been pretty catastrophic tbh. Without wishing to sound unduly negative but if we don’t go up this year I would be surprised if we maintain the same level of support.

As has been said elsewhere if we end up in the PL, TV revenue will dwarf gate receipts so I’d question whether the cost and upheaval (parts of the ground will have to be closed during any work presumably) justify the redevelopment

Poll: Our final position

PR attendances on 13:24 - Dec 22 with 3743 viewsJ2BLUE

The attendance is fine until we're established in the Prem.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

PR attendances on 14:11 - Dec 22 with 3538 viewsPhilTWTD

PR attendances on 13:20 - Dec 22 by Ftnfwest

I’d also say that whilst there are long term plans I don’t think they will involve a significant capacity increase. I don’t think for instance we’ll ever need more than say 34-35k. For a relatively small structure the capacity of cobbold is already surprisingly high

Think you're probably right. Things like further boxes, bars, suites etc will also provide an additional benefit.
Login to get fewer ads

PR attendances on 17:41 - Dec 22 with 3213 viewssotd78

The clever model operated, of course, by the big boys is to have a capacity that does not quite satisfy the demand for season tickets. Then the clubs sell all sorts of membership schemes - gold, silver, platimum, plasticine whatever they can invent. Selling 80% of capacity at reduced prices as say season tickets means selling 20% at "top price". That's a good revenue earner. It protects the away ticketing pricing and satisfies everyone. Of course it relies on a certain number of prawn sandwiches and a big "fan base".
We would be daft to make the ground too big - as much because we'll then have more away fans and whingers than real die hards. Remember there's really only about 14,000 of us that can be called true fans.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

PR attendances on 21:40 - Dec 22 with 3081 viewsle2blue

PR attendances on 14:11 - Dec 22 by PhilTWTD

Think you're probably right. Things like further boxes, bars, suites etc will also provide an additional benefit.

I heard a whisper that they’re looking to complete the executive boxes in the west stand towards the north stand end, will be given go ahead for next summer, once promotion is confirmed. Think it may involve some further development in that area with expanded restaurant / function space for all boxes and board room. Logical one for them to do to expand hospitality next season.
PR attendances on 22:10 - Dec 22 with 2977 viewsTheBoyBlue

PR attendances on 13:21 - Dec 22 by southnorfolkblue

It’s a massive risk though. Our track record in ground redevelopment has been pretty catastrophic tbh. Without wishing to sound unduly negative but if we don’t go up this year I would be surprised if we maintain the same level of support.

As has been said elsewhere if we end up in the PL, TV revenue will dwarf gate receipts so I’d question whether the cost and upheaval (parts of the ground will have to be closed during any work presumably) justify the redevelopment

I agree, we haven't got a great track record with this sort of thing.

I also agree we have to wait until we're sure these attendances can be maintained. Even if we do go up, will the crowds still flock if we spend a couple of seasons in midtable?

However, the Cobbold Stand does need rebuilding and when we do it would make sense to increase the capacity, albeit modestly (as others have said, 34-35k is probably all we need), perhaps built to easily allow for further expansion if improbably we need it.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

PR attendances on 23:03 - Dec 23 with 2460 viewsClareBlue

Having been in a half empty riverside and half empty stadium of Light even when they were premiership, it's better to stick with what you can fill, make it a top class experience with an atmosphere every week and let the TV money pay the bills.
PR attendances on 23:59 - Dec 23 with 2334 viewsPhilTWTD

PR attendances on 21:40 - Dec 22 by le2blue

I heard a whisper that they’re looking to complete the executive boxes in the west stand towards the north stand end, will be given go ahead for next summer, once promotion is confirmed. Think it may involve some further development in that area with expanded restaurant / function space for all boxes and board room. Logical one for them to do to expand hospitality next season.

Yes, that's right, adding to the boxes in the Magnus Stand is in the plans.
PR attendances on 08:53 - Dec 24 with 1991 viewstivo

PR attendances on 23:59 - Dec 23 by PhilTWTD

Yes, that's right, adding to the boxes in the Magnus Stand is in the plans.

Any info on the one(two?) box closest to SBR which have been boarded up forever?
PR attendances on 09:00 - Dec 24 with 1973 viewsPhilTWTD

PR attendances on 08:53 - Dec 24 by tivo

Any info on the one(two?) box closest to SBR which have been boarded up forever?

No, have they actually been fitted out or is it just that there's space there for the addition of further boxes? A long time since I've been at that end of the ground.
PR attendances on 10:16 - Dec 24 with 1840 viewstivo

PR attendances on 09:00 - Dec 24 by PhilTWTD

No, have they actually been fitted out or is it just that there's space there for the addition of further boxes? A long time since I've been at that end of the ground.

I am pretty sure there used to be boxes there. Tried finding old pictures to confirm but couldn't find any.

However if you look at this one you can see it's just temp boarding so must be space behind.

PR attendances on 10:18 - Dec 24 with 1822 viewsPhilTWTD

PR attendances on 10:16 - Dec 24 by tivo

I am pretty sure there used to be boxes there. Tried finding old pictures to confirm but couldn't find any.

However if you look at this one you can see it's just temp boarding so must be space behind.

I'm pretty sure they never got all the way across the stand so there's space but no actual boxes. But they will fill in those gaps at some point, not sure if they know when quite yet.
PR attendances on 10:19 - Dec 24 with 1814 viewshype313

PR attendances on 12:54 - Dec 22 by Steve_M

Can we get some success first before we expand the ground and ruin everything again please?

Capacity is fine at the moment, slightly more demand than seats is the ideal scenario. 13,000 in a 30,000 capacity ground definitely isn't.

Yep, ground expansion seems to be curse for us.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

PR attendances on 10:21 - Dec 24 with 1810 viewstivo

PR attendances on 10:18 - Dec 24 by PhilTWTD

I'm pretty sure they never got all the way across the stand so there's space but no actual boxes. But they will fill in those gaps at some point, not sure if they know when quite yet.

Ah okay, Maybe Mr. Ed should buy a 5 year season ticket for those boxes, then they can use the money to finish it off. Clever way around finance restrictions.
PR attendances on 10:26 - Dec 24 with 1801 viewsazuremerlangus

PR attendances on 10:18 - Dec 24 by PhilTWTD

If the plan is to re-develop the Cobbold stand at some point (dependent on success) then these additional boxes will essential when the Cobbold ones are temporally lost.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

PR attendances on 10:55 - Dec 24 with 1724 viewsOldFart71

I'm not suggesting we go gung ho with development as we did with Churchmans and the North stand it follows that increased capacity whilst also making sure that the team is capable of sustaining a certain level means that sales of drinks, food and merchandise all increase along with the revenue from the increased capacity. What went wrong on the previous development was doing too much in one go on the back of a 5th place finish and buying of players such a Finidi George for millions and then having to fork out millions more to get rid of. As long as development is done sensibly it will provide better facilities for those in attendance .We have all moaned at the lack of even keeping the ground in a reasonable condition. As the CEO said he couldn't believe how run down PR had got.
PR attendances on 11:29 - Dec 24 with 1676 viewsRadlett_blue

PR attendances on 10:55 - Dec 24 by OldFart71

I'm not suggesting we go gung ho with development as we did with Churchmans and the North stand it follows that increased capacity whilst also making sure that the team is capable of sustaining a certain level means that sales of drinks, food and merchandise all increase along with the revenue from the increased capacity. What went wrong on the previous development was doing too much in one go on the back of a 5th place finish and buying of players such a Finidi George for millions and then having to fork out millions more to get rid of. As long as development is done sensibly it will provide better facilities for those in attendance .We have all moaned at the lack of even keeping the ground in a reasonable condition. As the CEO said he couldn't believe how run down PR had got.

Well, the original Evans Plan was to invest a few £m in the team, get in the PL & then Bob's your uncle. Yes, he completely ignored investing in the ground & the rest of the infrastructure.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

PR attendances on 13:35 - Dec 24 with 1551 viewsPinewoodblue

PR attendances on 09:00 - Dec 24 by PhilTWTD

There is a void area behind the boards.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024