Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eric Cantona on BBC 08:48 - Jan 13 with 2071 viewsHackneyblueboy

Not sure if anyone heard his interview with the BBC this morning but he said that if he was in England he would support a club in the second or third division. He spoke about the premier league and elite level football in general losing its soul.

Got me thinking, are the next few years going to be as good as it gets for us in terms of enjoyment.

We've got almost 30k people coming tomorrow to see a top of the table clash and it's going to be great, win lose or draw.

The aim is to get to the premier league and whilst that's the aim, maybe the journey will be better than the destination. Do we really want to get to the premier league and then get beaten most weeks struggling to survive. Would football be any more enjoyable if we supported Southampton or Crystal Palace?

Sorry maybe a bit philosophical for before 9am but enjoy the ride folks as we have our football club back.

Eric Cantona on BBC on 08:53 - Jan 13 with 1996 viewsCityBlue

At some point the board need to realise that a crippling wage structure, although financially savvy, will not allow us to complete with the top clubs trough anything other than spirit.
With our top earner on no more than about £15k a week and the average closer to £5k we will find that we are a country mile short of the current EPL average (about £20k per week at last estimate).

I T I D

Eric Cantona on BBC on 08:53 - Jan 13 with 1993 viewsdavblue

you always get the hangers on when success comes.

The people who were there when we had low gates in the McCarthy era they are the fans that deserve a bit of success, many didn't bother understandably.
Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:01 - Jan 13 with 1898 viewsSaleAway

Eric Cantona on BBC on 08:53 - Jan 13 by davblue

you always get the hangers on when success comes.

The people who were there when we had low gates in the McCarthy era they are the fans that deserve a bit of success, many didn't bother understandably.

But I guess what the OP is asking, is what does success look like for a fan? Is it Winning the premier league, just getting to the premier league, or actually is it, full houses, good football, players that seem to be genuinely decent, and matches that matter ( in the context of that season).

Do you think Burnley fans are enjoying this season more than last?

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:10 - Jan 13 with 1851 viewsYallop2

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:01 - Jan 13 by SaleAway

But I guess what the OP is asking, is what does success look like for a fan? Is it Winning the premier league, just getting to the premier league, or actually is it, full houses, good football, players that seem to be genuinely decent, and matches that matter ( in the context of that season).

I'm tired of travelling to these League 1 teams. Win lose or draw I'm desperate to see us at Anfield and Old Trafford again before I peg it
Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:12 - Jan 13 with 1839 viewsHackneyblueboy

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:01 - Jan 13 by SaleAway

Agreed. For me, I'm in my mid thirties, the premier league hasn't held that much appeal.

I'm just about old enough to properly enjoy the season we finished 5th.

It's just great to have a side playing good football under a great young manager and maintaining the connection with the club and the players with the community. Does it really matter it's in League one. Maybe the Championship is the sweet spot.
Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:14 - Jan 13 with 1827 viewsEdwardStone

I agree that the enjoyment at the moment is sky high.

But surely the Grand Dream is something like Leicester achieved ..... or indeed we achieved all those years ago.

Win the Top Tier of English football

And the F A Cup again, of course
Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:14 - Jan 13 with 1824 viewsNthQldITFC

If you could dissociate the sport aspect from the hyper-charged money and razzmatazz aspect of it, I wouldn't mind being a whipping boy at the bottom of the First Division for a bit.

But to be part of that hideous circus, risk the existence of the club, and be a laughing stock yo-yo all at the same time is not very appealing. I suppose the only thing I could possibly think of which would be worse, would be to have to wear yellow and green whilst doing it.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:16 - Jan 13 with 1818 viewsclive_baker

I've always thought this. It's a bit of a contradiction isn't it because we all want to win games, promotions etc and a consequence of all of that being true is reaching the pinnacle. I do think it's all about the journey though, I'm really enjoying supporting Town right now and I dare say there are a lot of fans higher up the pyramid less engaged and excited than ours are now.

I used to work with a Man City fan who was born and bred City, a proper one. Perhaps its nostalgia but he said despite their riches and success now, he loved the Goater / Horlock / Dickov era more. The stadium move has been a factor which I doubt is a realistic risk for us, but he reckons it's a bit soulless, very expensive, corporate and they've lost a lot of what he loved before. There's definitely some merit in your thoughts, I'm inclined to agree. A Norwich supporting friend of mine much prefers the seasons winning promotion to the PL than getting slapped back down when they're there, which is hardly surprising.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:26 - Jan 13 with 1729 viewsGuthrum

Eric Cantona on BBC on 08:53 - Jan 13 by CityBlue

At some point the board need to realise that a crippling wage structure, although financially savvy, will not allow us to complete with the top clubs trough anything other than spirit.
With our top earner on no more than about £15k a week and the average closer to £5k we will find that we are a country mile short of the current EPL average (about £20k per week at last estimate).

That having been said, teams like Fulham, Brighton and Brentford - by no means the Prem's biggest spenders, are not doing too badly.

Those clubs are, of course, spending well above Championship levels, let alone L1, but income from TV and other sources also increases massively inthe Prem (and quite a bit between L1 and the Champ).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:32 - Jan 13 with 1686 viewsyesjohn99

On one hand I hate the Premier League. Cannot stand it. On the other, would I, along with my son want to see some of the best players in the world coming to Portman Road? Maybe even seeing us turn them over?

You bet I would!
Eric Cantona on BBC on 10:02 - Jan 13 with 1561 viewsDyland

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:16 - Jan 13 by clive_baker

I've always thought this. It's a bit of a contradiction isn't it because we all want to win games, promotions etc and a consequence of all of that being true is reaching the pinnacle. I do think it's all about the journey though, I'm really enjoying supporting Town right now and I dare say there are a lot of fans higher up the pyramid less engaged and excited than ours are now.

I used to work with a Man City fan who was born and bred City, a proper one. Perhaps its nostalgia but he said despite their riches and success now, he loved the Goater / Horlock / Dickov era more. The stadium move has been a factor which I doubt is a realistic risk for us, but he reckons it's a bit soulless, very expensive, corporate and they've lost a lot of what he loved before. There's definitely some merit in your thoughts, I'm inclined to agree. A Norwich supporting friend of mine much prefers the seasons winning promotion to the PL than getting slapped back down when they're there, which is hardly surprising.

If I’m honest I’ll probably stop going all the time if we’re successful. Seems counterintuitive but there we go. I may write a boring blog about it :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Eric Cantona on BBC on 10:39 - Jan 13 with 1426 viewsLeaky

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:26 - Jan 13 by Guthrum

That having been said, teams like Fulham, Brighton and Brentford - by no means the Prem's biggest spenders, are not doing too badly.

Those clubs are, of course, spending well above Championship levels, let alone L1, but income from TV and other sources also increases massively inthe Prem (and quite a bit between L1 and the Champ).

The problem as I see it, is with Fulham, Brighton and Brentford, will be if they continue as they are, they will loose players to the big boys. Like Leicester & Southampton have.
Eric Cantona on BBC on 11:00 - Jan 13 with 1351 viewspennyfathersleg

I think about this a lot. Every single ITFC fan wants a winning team ultimately. Winning games will lead us to the premier league. I love football, but I don’t watch the premier league very often - probably because ITFC aren’t in it for more than any other reason though.

There are teams in the premier league that I class as being the same size as us and survive - West Ham, Palace, Brighton, Wolves, Southampton, Leicester etc. To be able to watch the best players in the world at PR would be great. To be able to watch my team up against those players would be great. Where is the ceiling - no one knows I guess. If ITFC won the EPL, I’m pretty certain that every ITFC fan would be beyond theirselves. I bet if you spoke to Leicester fans, they would say that that season was pretty spectacular!

All I know is, that for now, I want out of this garbage league at the earliest opportunity!! The feeling at the moment is probably better than at any time of my 36 years watching, but I’m not sure it will be quite the same if we are playing these teams again next season!
Eric Cantona on BBC on 11:02 - Jan 13 with 1335 viewsGuthrum

Eric Cantona on BBC on 10:39 - Jan 13 by Leaky

The problem as I see it, is with Fulham, Brighton and Brentford, will be if they continue as they are, they will loose players to the big boys. Like Leicester & Southampton have.

Indeed. But, if finishing high up in the Prem, those clubs can hire good players from lower divisions - having reaped both funds and prestige.

The likes of Wolves, Southampton and, to an extent, Leicester might be struggling now, but both have had decent long runs in the top tier.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Eric Cantona on BBC on 11:29 - Jan 13 with 1233 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:16 - Jan 13 by clive_baker

I thought that when we won the play offs. Obviously delighted to finally do it (and a personal dream of mine was to see Ipswich at Wembley) but quickly thought to myself "well this is as good as it gets, we're going to get tonked on a regular basis next year". We all know what happened in that following season.

So in answer to the OP, no. You keep on going. Keep on striving to be the best. That's what sport is all about.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Eric Cantona on BBC on 12:09 - Jan 13 with 1140 viewsITFC_Forever

I think there's a danger of over-thinking it.

We (or certainly I and most of the rest of us) support Ipswich as we want the club to be the best it can be.

That would therefore mean being in the Prem and winning it, and every other trophy, every season.
Obviously, that's not going to happen, but striving for continous improvement should be the aim.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Eric Cantona on BBC on 12:11 - Jan 13 with 1134 viewschicoazul

Hardly anyone chooses the club they support. Eric is a king but I think he’s a bit off there.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Eric Cantona on BBC on 12:22 - Jan 13 with 1085 viewsChrisd

Eric Cantona on BBC on 09:12 - Jan 13 by Hackneyblueboy

Agreed. For me, I'm in my mid thirties, the premier league hasn't held that much appeal.

I'm just about old enough to properly enjoy the season we finished 5th.

It's just great to have a side playing good football under a great young manager and maintaining the connection with the club and the players with the community. Does it really matter it's in League one. Maybe the Championship is the sweet spot.

I always believed the EPL was there to give clubs, like ours, a huge financial boost when you finally achieve promotion to the promised land and provides that financial stability for years to come. Now, with the huge wages and other additional costs it cripples club's finances and puts you at a weaker position, especially if you have stretched yourself to avoid relegation. For all it's glamour and glory, the only ones that seem to benefit most are the big 6 clubs and Sky, the rest it's purely about survival or treading water. It's sad state of affair really, the money has completely ruined the game.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 16:43]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024