Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? 07:06 - Jan 14 with 4374 viewsPioneerBlue

Lyrics

MY NAME IS EDWARD EBENEEZER JEREMIAH BROWN
I'M A FOOTBALL SUPPORTER OF IPSWICH TOWN,
WHEREVER THEY PLAY
YOU'LL FIND ME,
I HAVENT MISSED A GAME SINCE I WAS 3
WITH MY SCARF AND MY RATTLE AND MY BLUE ROSETTE
SIGNING WHERE WAS THE GOALIE WHEN THE BALL WENT IN THE NET
FOLLOW THE TOWN
UP OR DOWN
I'M EDWARD EBENEEZER - JEREMAIH BROWN
BUT EVERYBODY CALLS ME TED!

But is it who was he?

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 07:29 - Jan 14 with 4318 viewsColin_Viljoen

Edward Ebeneezer Writer and Singer Dies 8th Jan 2015 13:49
Gerald Hicks, the man who wrote and sang the famous Town song Come On The Town under the name Edward Ebeneezer and Supporters, died on Christmas Day aged 81. 33

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 07:39 - Jan 14 with 4236 viewsPioneerBlue

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 07:29 - Jan 14 by Colin_Viljoen

Edward Ebeneezer Writer and Singer Dies 8th Jan 2015 13:49
Gerald Hicks, the man who wrote and sang the famous Town song Come On The Town under the name Edward Ebeneezer and Supporters, died on Christmas Day aged 81. 33

Thanks @Colin_Viljoen - I hadn’t seen that

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 07:40 - Jan 14 with 4231 viewsITFC_Forever

He was a football supporter of Ipswich Town and went by the name Ted.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 08:24 - Jan 14 with 4121 viewsKievthegreat

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 07:40 - Jan 14 by ITFC_Forever

He was a football supporter of Ipswich Town and went by the name Ted.

And wherever they played, there he'd be.
Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 08:36 - Jan 14 with 4068 viewsPaphosBlue

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 08:24 - Jan 14 by Kievthegreat

I love this song and always join in. My only slight reservation is that as a gentleman of a certain age I can vividly remember my father singing "where was the goalie when the ball was in the net" as he smashed the ball past me as a kid (I was never a goalkeeper!). Now that would have been late sixties and he had been a Pompey supporter in the 50-60s so I wonder if this song was more broadly used than just Ipswich or if that particular line originates from somewhere else. Guess we will never know

Poll: What would Lambert have to do for you to accept him as Manager

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 09:59 - Jan 14 with 3835 viewsKeno

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 08:24 - Jan 14 by Kievthegreat

He may have served time in jail tho, cos he hadn’t missed a game since he was free

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 10:22 - Jan 14 with 3756 viewsBucklebury_blue

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 08:36 - Jan 14 by PaphosBlue

I love this song and always join in. My only slight reservation is that as a gentleman of a certain age I can vividly remember my father singing "where was the goalie when the ball was in the net" as he smashed the ball past me as a kid (I was never a goalkeeper!). Now that would have been late sixties and he had been a Pompey supporter in the 50-60s so I wonder if this song was more broadly used than just Ipswich or if that particular line originates from somewhere else. Guess we will never know

For the benefit of our younger fans, the goalie ditty was part of a parody of My Old Man's a Dustman, by Lonnie Donegan (you may have to google that!).

O, my old man's a dustman
He wears a dustman's hat
He bought two thousand tickets
To see a football match

Oh, Fatty passed to Skinny
And Skinny passed it back
Fatty took a rotten shot
And knocked the goalie flat, OOH!

Where was the goalie
When the ball went in the net?
Halfway up the goalpost
With his trousers round his neck, singing

Oompah, oompah
Stick it up you jumper
Rule Britannia, marmalade and jam
We threw sausages at our old man

They put him on a stretcher
They put him on a bed
They rubbed his belly
With a five pound jelly
But the poor old soul was dead
Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 10:32 - Jan 14 with 3700 viewsFreddies_Ears

The correct lyric is " but everybody, call me Ted". It is a request, not a statement.

Similar to the common mistake with Rule Britannia, where the correct version is "Britannia, rule the waves", an exhortation and not a celebration.
Login to get fewer ads

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 10:38 - Jan 14 with 3658 viewsnorth_stand77

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 10:22 - Jan 14 by Bucklebury_blue

For the benefit of our younger fans, the goalie ditty was part of a parody of My Old Man's a Dustman, by Lonnie Donegan (you may have to google that!).

O, my old man's a dustman
He wears a dustman's hat
He bought two thousand tickets
To see a football match

Oh, Fatty passed to Skinny
And Skinny passed it back
Fatty took a rotten shot
And knocked the goalie flat, OOH!

Where was the goalie
When the ball went in the net?
Halfway up the goalpost
With his trousers round his neck, singing

Oompah, oompah
Stick it up you jumper
Rule Britannia, marmalade and jam
We threw sausages at our old man

They put him on a stretcher
They put him on a bed
They rubbed his belly
With a five pound jelly
But the poor old soul was dead

In the original song, and being a little child, i used to wonder what 'Cor blimey trousers' were.......any ideas?
Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 10:41 - Jan 14 with 3645 viewsKeno

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 10:38 - Jan 14 by north_stand77

In the original song, and being a little child, i used to wonder what 'Cor blimey trousers' were.......any ideas?

from a but it in depth knowledge and extensive research ..... well google and some website

Cor Blimey trousers were commonly worn by dustmen (as in the song) and coal merchants. They are tousers of courderoy (sometimes moleskin) - very baggy and are tied just below the knee with string or rope. Which of course begs a further question - why are Cor Blimey trousers tied below the knee?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=141&t=508842
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 10:41]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 13:03 - Jan 14 with 3420 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 10:41 - Jan 14 by Keno

from a but it in depth knowledge and extensive research ..... well google and some website

Cor Blimey trousers were commonly worn by dustmen (as in the song) and coal merchants. They are tousers of courderoy (sometimes moleskin) - very baggy and are tied just below the knee with string or rope. Which of course begs a further question - why are Cor Blimey trousers tied below the knee?

A complete guess but to stop rats running up them?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 13:20 - Jan 14 with 3344 viewsGuthrum

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 10:41 - Jan 14 by Keno

To stop the ferret escaping.

In practical terms, to prevent dirt and dust getting any further up, tho there might also be a hold-over from the era of breeches (16th to 19th centuries) - in the same way the tie is a descendant of the neckerchief in a less centrally heated time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Who is or was Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown? on 13:21 - Jan 14 with 3336 viewsericclacton

A rent boy.😆
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024