Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Someone in Suffolk is a knob 21:31 - Jan 18 with 4473 viewsMullet

https://raptorpersecutionuk.org/2023/01/18/five-goshawks-shot-dumped-in-kings-fo

What are they doing killing these ffs?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 21:47 - Jan 18 with 3585 views66notout

£10,000 reward on offer so hopefully it won’t be long before they are paying out.
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 22:43 - Jan 18 with 3501 viewsHARRY10

They are killed as they are regarded as a threat to raised pheasants. Which are bought in from Europe and raised so they can be blasted out of the sky by wealthy City types, usually got up as some variant of Toad of Toad Hall.

The pheasants usually end up in landfill, and innumerable other 'pests' are similarly slaughtered. Weasels, stoats and foxes to name a few. The irony being that the latter are killed by what is known as 'lamping'. using vehice headlights at night,
and a number of shotguns.

Where my parents live, way out in the sticks there is usually some photo stuck on a lamp post asking if anyone has seen Tiddles, the cat. Cats are usually poisoned for the reasons listed above. Incomers are not aware of this.

And as Brexit bites and farms struggle there will be more pressure to turn over land for this mass slaughter, And at around £2000 per gun (days shooting) it is not an activity any locals engage in.

Both my parents have lived in and around where they are now, and my mother states that it is not as it once was. In certain parts wildlife is very scarce, believed to be poisoned.

The ratcatcher, or gamekeeper as they like to be known, is tipped £50 a head by the guns per shoot per gun for which he is responsible for sorting out enough beaters and ensuring they are also enough pheasants to be shot. The understanding there being any criminal charges arising from his killing of protected birds is down to him, not the employer - the estate owner

An idea of figures can be had -

“More than 60 million birds are bred for shooting each year on Britain’s 300 game farms, in an industry that is worth more than £2bn a year, according to the Game Farmers’ Association.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 23:22]
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 06:10 - Jan 19 with 3330 viewsChondzoresk

I could think of more abrasive words. You have been polite. This report as a naturalist and ornithologist upset me hugely. Goshawks as far as I knew were ultra rare or even extinct in Suffolk. I knew of no reports of these rare, elusive and beautiful birds.

I hope whomever killed them will have their collars felt.
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 06:48 - Jan 19 with 3278 viewsWarkystache

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 06:10 - Jan 19 by Chondzoresk

I could think of more abrasive words. You have been polite. This report as a naturalist and ornithologist upset me hugely. Goshawks as far as I knew were ultra rare or even extinct in Suffolk. I knew of no reports of these rare, elusive and beautiful birds.

Bastards. Hope whoever it is can be caught and jailed. Beautiful birds.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 09:08 - Jan 19 with 3107 viewsmo_itfc

“More than 60 million birds are bred for shooting each year on Britain’s 300 game farms, in an industry that is worth more than £2bn a year, according to the Game Farmers’ Association."

But we can't afford to increase tax on these people to pay nurses...

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 09:34 - Jan 19 with 3044 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 06:10 - Jan 19 by Chondzoresk

Almost incomprehensible isn't it. If Harry hadn't mentioned Brexit I'd have given him an uppie!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 09:40 - Jan 19 with 3025 viewsNthQldITFC

Proper accountability is needed here.

The killer (and potentially the person who ordered the killing if that is a different human) need to go to jail, and need to pay a meaningful fine which is fed directly into conservation, and need to be denied ever having a gun licence again.

Fking scum.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 11:36 - Jan 19 with 2945 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Saw the heading and assumed it to be another Tom Hunt thread.

Then saw the comments re breeding birds so that they can be blasted out of the sky and realised that my assumption was right.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Login to get fewer ads

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 13:59 - Jan 19 with 2847 viewsHARRY10

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 09:08 - Jan 19 by mo_itfc

“More than 60 million birds are bred for shooting each year on Britain’s 300 game farms, in an industry that is worth more than £2bn a year, according to the Game Farmers’ Association."

Ironic that, given how much tax is avoided by these shoots. Much is cash in hand, and the estates can claim the reared birds as livestock with the tax that brings.

The stewardship scheme will mean another opportunity to pass off work carried out as benefiting the land.

As to these birds, they were deliberately dumped in public place so as to say 'this is what we can and are doing, and you cannot stop us'

Any unauthorised shooting would quickly be identified so it is certainly with the gamekeeopers knowledge. They are given a free hand, to provide enough birds for the shoot. So anything that is thought a threat to the pheasants is eliminated. Though fox hunting tends to avoid land that is used for shooting, lack of foxes being one, and where hunting takes place foxes are often reared.

Most folk are unaware of what goes on [behind the secenes' imagining that it is frural folk indulging in a time honoured rural past time. Whixh could not be further from the truth. Rural folk like this in towns etc have jobs, and the charges for participating are way out of their reach.

These activities are staged for wealthy City folk, and given what can be earned, a few pets are of little consequence. It is only that there is a huge divide between those who want to see the countryside as rich and diverse in its wildlife and those who see it solely as a playground for the wealthy that we are aware of birds of prey being shot. Their corpses being found in public places is no coincidence.

So what can we do ? Well take time to read up on what really happens, not the misinformation peddled by those involved. Then at least you can counter their lies when confronted with them. Mostly by ill informed folk who think 'country folk' should be allowed to bag a few birds'for the pot' - 30 million or more, almost none of which end up 'in the pot'.

The camping stuff on Dartmoor* should point you toward where a small minority want to take the question of what access do the rest of us have to the countryside.

* https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-64290245
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 21:31 - Mar 27 with 2408 viewsGeoffSentence

Arrest made

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/23415442.man-70s-arrested-hawks-shot-near-bury-st-ed

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 21:48 - Mar 27 with 2316 viewsMelford

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 22:43 - Jan 18 by HARRY10

They are killed as they are regarded as a threat to raised pheasants. Which are bought in from Europe and raised so they can be blasted out of the sky by wealthy City types, usually got up as some variant of Toad of Toad Hall.

The pheasants usually end up in landfill, and innumerable other 'pests' are similarly slaughtered. Weasels, stoats and foxes to name a few. The irony being that the latter are killed by what is known as 'lamping'. using vehice headlights at night,

Where my parents live, way out in the sticks there is usually some photo stuck on a lamp post asking if anyone has seen Tiddles, the cat. Cats are usually poisoned for the reasons listed above. Incomers are not aware of this.

And as Brexit bites and farms struggle there will be more pressure to turn over land for this mass slaughter, And at around £2000 per gun (days shooting) it is not an activity any locals engage in.

Both my parents have lived in and around where they are now, and my mother states that it is not as it once was. In certain parts wildlife is very scarce, believed to be poisoned.

The ratcatcher, or gamekeeper as they like to be known, is tipped £50 a head by the guns per shoot per gun for which he is responsible for sorting out enough beaters and ensuring they are also enough pheasants to be shot. The understanding there being any criminal charges arising from his killing of protected birds is down to him, not the employer - the estate owner

“More than 60 million birds are bred for shooting each year on Britain’s 300 game farms, in an industry that is worth more than £2bn a year, according to the Game Farmers’ Association.

They do this near me, all the gun shots freak the local dogs out. Like a month long bonfire night.

I went to one with my old man years ago because they wanted to use my dog (Springer Spaniel), it was pathetic. It was the bloke who lived in Melford Hall and his posh mates, he had one lackey whose job all day was to pick up his shell cases every time he had a go. The birds looked drugged or overfed, could barely get off the ground and were easy pickings, I could have chucked a cricket ball at them and bagged a couple they were that docile.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 22:25 - Mar 27 with 2188 viewsFarmerBlue95

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 22:43 - Jan 18 by HARRY10

You make some sensible, truthful points but also make the big error of tarring all shoots with the same brush.
The huge, 300+ bird day shoots that you talk about that cater for city folk are far from ideal, there’s little skill involved and this is where you get the stories of the birds going to landfill etc
However the vast majority of shoots going on around the country on any given day are likely to be much smaller shoots where the birds are well cared for and everything is eaten. I’ve even heard of shoots offering spare birds to foodbanks and them not being accepted for various reasons. The fact is a pheasant/partridge whatever that’s shot lives a much happier and more natural life (and death if clean killed) than most farm animals as there isn’t the whole abbatoir end to life and they reallt are free range.. Likewise there is a lot more wide ranging abuse of animals in greyhound/horse racing yet this never seems to be picked up by a large majority.
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but I personally haven’t heard of cats being poisoned by shoots, I also asked my vet nurse wife and she said that whilst they see many cases a year of cats being accidentally poisoned by anti freeze in peoples water features etc she‘s never seen one that could be definitively linked to a shooting scenario.
Likewise, foxes unfortunately are a pest-just ask anyone who keeps chickens. There’s also a big difference between the cute urban foxes on videos that do the rounds and the much wilder, nastier rural foxes that will kill not just to eat but for fun too.
Not sure where you’ve got your £2000 a day from as an average either, there will be shoots that cost that much but once again they’re a minority, plenty I know of are small farm shoots where someone just has their local or farming mates over a couple of days a year and they then reciprocate-these often don’t even rely on many birds being ‘bred’, rather nature takes it’s course and the shooting isn’t much different to planned culls of things like deer to manage their numbers.
Totally understand peoples issue with shooting especially if they don’t know much about it, but felt it right to redress the balance here
Goes without saying whoever has done this in the OP should be severely punished, it’s awful and not at all what anyone who really cares about the countryside would do
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 05:31 - Mar 28 with 1991 viewsTractorWood

North of Red Lodge in the Fens and Forest are very strange places. Unbelievably weird stuff going on up there.

As others have said, hope there is a strong conviction.

On the plus side, I see lots of big bird species recovering well. Red kites and buzzards are everywhere in West Suffolk these days. The cormorant has also made a very strong recovery. All fantastic birds.

There is a big Heronry at the King's Forest. It's absolutely teeming with fantastic wildlife.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 06:48 - Mar 28 with 1950 viewsgtsb1966

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 22:25 - Mar 27 by FarmerBlue95

You make some sensible, truthful points but also make the big error of tarring all shoots with the same brush.
The huge, 300+ bird day shoots that you talk about that cater for city folk are far from ideal, there’s little skill involved and this is where you get the stories of the birds going to landfill etc
However the vast majority of shoots going on around the country on any given day are likely to be much smaller shoots where the birds are well cared for and everything is eaten. I’ve even heard of shoots offering spare birds to foodbanks and them not being accepted for various reasons. The fact is a pheasant/partridge whatever that’s shot lives a much happier and more natural life (and death if clean killed) than most farm animals as there isn’t the whole abbatoir end to life and they reallt are free range.. Likewise there is a lot more wide ranging abuse of animals in greyhound/horse racing yet this never seems to be picked up by a large majority.
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but I personally haven’t heard of cats being poisoned by shoots, I also asked my vet nurse wife and she said that whilst they see many cases a year of cats being accidentally poisoned by anti freeze in peoples water features etc she‘s never seen one that could be definitively linked to a shooting scenario.
Likewise, foxes unfortunately are a pest-just ask anyone who keeps chickens. There’s also a big difference between the cute urban foxes on videos that do the rounds and the much wilder, nastier rural foxes that will kill not just to eat but for fun too.
Not sure where you’ve got your £2000 a day from as an average either, there will be shoots that cost that much but once again they’re a minority, plenty I know of are small farm shoots where someone just has their local or farming mates over a couple of days a year and they then reciprocate-these often don’t even rely on many birds being ‘bred’, rather nature takes it’s course and the shooting isn’t much different to planned culls of things like deer to manage their numbers.
Totally understand peoples issue with shooting especially if they don’t know much about it, but felt it right to redress the balance here
Goes without saying whoever has done this in the OP should be severely punished, it’s awful and not at all what anyone who really cares about the countryside would do

'Nastier rural foxes'. You mean a wild animal in its natural habitat doing what nature has intended it to do.
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 07:28 - Mar 28 with 1892 viewsPlums

Sorry. I stopped reading at 'spare birds' as any argument you were hoping to make died with them. As an occasional (once every 10 years atm) game fisherman, the thought of killing more than I can eat is beyond me.
That's pure and simple waste.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 07:36 - Mar 28 with 1857 viewsBuhrer

I read recently that because the rich love killing pheasants, all the pheasants are killing off our Adder population. To be gone soon. And scumbags shoot raptors. Yay for "country sports".
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 08:22 - Mar 28 with 1780 viewsFarmerBlue95

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 06:48 - Mar 28 by gtsb1966

'Nastier rural foxes'. You mean a wild animal in its natural habitat doing what nature has intended it to do.

Of course, but still makes it a pest. Rats and mice are just doing their natural thing but they’re still vermin and a pest…
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 08:24 - Mar 28 with 1779 viewsGeoffSentence

Foxes do not kill for fun. Only people kill for fun.

They kill all they can and take as much away to eat or store as they can. They will then return to carry away more to store for eating later. If they are disturbed or they run out of safe time they stop coming back.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 08:41 - Mar 28 with 1756 viewsFarmerBlue95

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 08:24 - Mar 28 by GeoffSentence

Foxes do not kill for fun. Only people kill for fun.

They kill all they can and take as much away to eat or store as they can. They will then return to carry away more to store for eating later. If they are disturbed or they run out of safe time they stop coming back.

That’s a fair point and will teach me for posting late at night after a long day. I knew what I meant about ‘mass kills’ but you are of course correct
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 10:09 - Mar 28 with 1639 viewsNthQldITFC

What a load of w@nk. Except the last paragraph.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 10:49 - Mar 28 with 1589 viewsFarmerBlue95

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 10:09 - Mar 28 by NthQldITFC

What a load of w@nk. Except the last paragraph.

In what way? It’s fact and background from someone who lives and works in the countryside and actually knows what happens. Was also a very balanced view about the rights and wrongs of a pastime and ‘industry’, for want of a better word, that is a big contributor to the rural community
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 11:01 - Mar 28 with 1575 viewsHARRY10

That is absolute bol locks

"birds are well cared for and everything is eaten" They are raised then released to be blasted out of the sky.

That a few sadists gather in a field to kill wild animals for their pleasure does not mean that the huge, business industrial slaughter does not happen, with the consequent requirement to dispose of millions of birds. And if everything was eaten you would not be offering it to a food back

The birds these cretins shoot are a product of that industrial slaughter. Ones that have migrated away from where they were raised.

Cats and other animals are poisoned, as the natural balance of nature clashes with the need to produce as many pheasants as possible to be shot.

You are not going to be aware of any cat that has been poisoned, that is the whole idea. They die close to where they have been poisoned, far from human habitation. They do not stagger home wanting to be taken to the vet.

To compound your idiocy you then talk of how an urban fox is different to a rural fox, who it appears is much 'wilder and nastier.' It kills for fun, apparently. Whereas those who understand will tell you that foxes kill what prey they can. Returning later to move that prey to a place of safety/storage. It can only carry one bird at a time.

That is not for fun, unlike the sicko 'hunters'. Of course humans don't buy my food than they need. Do not use freezers to store excess food, or even kill so many (for fun) they have to offer their kill to foodbanks., do they ?

£2000 a gun is the current average for a shoot. Just because a few sickos meet up privately, it does not mean those industrial shoots do not happen.

You post this nonsense in the belief that, as folk do not know what happens you can spin any old fairy tales to make out it is a harmless pastime.

Set aside any suggestions of cruelty there is still the effect such activity has on the balance of nature in certain parts of the UK.

If you visit the locations of these shoots you will find an area barren of most small animals, those having been shot*, trapped or poisoned.

Far from redressing any balance you have shown you either do not know this subject or are so stupid as to think those not dressed up as Toad of Toad Hall are not aware of what happens. I suspect the latter, as with pretty much everyone else who tries to defend this odious activity.

* https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-65092326
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 11:09 - Mar 28 with 1549 viewsleitrimblue

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 11:01 - Mar 28 by HARRY10

"birds are well cared for and everything is eaten" They are raised then released to be blasted out of the sky.

That a few sadists gather in a field to kill wild animals for their pleasure does not mean that the huge, business industrial slaughter does not happen, with the consequent requirement to dispose of millions of birds. And if everything was eaten you would not be offering it to a food back

The birds these cretins shoot are a product of that industrial slaughter. Ones that have migrated away from where they were raised.

Cats and other animals are poisoned, as the natural balance of nature clashes with the need to produce as many pheasants as possible to be shot.

You are not going to be aware of any cat that has been poisoned, that is the whole idea. They die close to where they have been poisoned, far from human habitation. They do not stagger home wanting to be taken to the vet.

To compound your idiocy you then talk of how an urban fox is different to a rural fox, who it appears is much 'wilder and nastier.' It kills for fun, apparently. Whereas those who understand will tell you that foxes kill what prey they can. Returning later to move that prey to a place of safety/storage. It can only carry one bird at a time.

That is not for fun, unlike the sicko 'hunters'. Of course humans don't buy my food than they need. Do not use freezers to store excess food, or even kill so many (for fun) they have to offer their kill to foodbanks., do they ?

£2000 a gun is the current average for a shoot. Just because a few sickos meet up privately, it does not mean those industrial shoots do not happen.

You post this nonsense in the belief that, as folk do not know what happens you can spin any old fairy tales to make out it is a harmless pastime.

Set aside any suggestions of cruelty there is still the effect such activity has on the balance of nature in certain parts of the UK.

If you visit the locations of these shoots you will find an area barren of most small animals, those having been shot*, trapped or poisoned.

Far from redressing any balance you have shown you either do not know this subject or are so stupid as to think those not dressed up as Toad of Toad Hall are not aware of what happens. I suspect the latter, as with pretty much everyone else who tries to defend this odious activity.

Very well put Harry.
Feck me! The man arrested is in his 70,s!
I suggest giving him a 30 second head start then setting the dogs on him
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 11:21 - Mar 28 with 1533 viewsFarmerBlue95

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 11:01 - Mar 28 by HARRY10

Not sure where to begin on the utter rubbish spouted here.
A lot of cats that are poisoned will limp their way home, even if it is to die. Unless you’re arguing with the established veterinary knowledge? The poisons available nowadays are not strong enough to kill where the animal eats it. On the farm we never see mice or rats dead by the bait boxes, rather they more often than not they go back to their nests.
I have personally never been to a shoot where any birds, never mind a lot, are simply thrown away. At the very least they would go to a butcher or similar. If your only argument is to use the examples of the ridiculous big shoots then I agree with you on that, but it’s not representative of the vast majority.
I’ll say again, it’s all okay to call hunters or shooters ‘sick’ for killing an animal
To eat in a wild environment, yet a vast majority will eat meat where they’re not always sure of its origin/ how it’s been kept. Likewise even on this site we see pinned posts about Cheltenham etc when the issues in the horse racing world have been proven before, never mind greyhound racing. (That isn’t an attack on the sports but it’s interesting which is the one heralded as ‘sick’
You’re determined to paint all shoots the same as the big industrial ones, but you fail to realise cost doesn’t = number of birds. Sometimes the (vastly ott) prices are because it’s in high demand due to the skill involved etc, rather than sheer number of wasted birds.
I am not posh or rich, in fact I know as many, if not more, people who shoot or work in the shooting industry who are working class as opposed to being ‘toad of toad hall’, yet of course it helps demonise an industry if a certain type of person is stereotyped instead.
Perhaps I should never have attempted to inform and explain to people who won’t or don’t ever hope to understand the realities? We’ve seen with Clarkson’s Farm it takes a celebrity to showcase the reality of what farming life can be like, never mind trying to explain a nuanced subject like this on a football forum
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 11:25]
Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 12:26 - Mar 28 with 1450 viewsbrazil1982

Someone in Suffolk is a knob on 09:08 - Jan 19 by mo_itfc

Are you proposing a tax on the 300 game farms to pay for an NHS pay rise? Many figures have been quoted but I will use the figure from the IFS of £6.4bn, meaning each game farm would be hit with a bill of c.£23m
That's an expensive day out!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024