Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tyre Nichols in Memphis 00:52 - Jan 28 with 2942 viewshatch

The City of Memphis has just released the videos on Vimeo -

I’ve had a skim through and Video 2 without sound seems to summarise the worst of it. Kicks to the head whilst he’s restrained, baton beating and punching to the head whilst he’s held upright. Horrific to see but this has the makings of the George Floyd case in terms of uproar and I see Memphis shop owners are boarding up their windows. The family have asked for peaceful protest but those videos will send shockwaves.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2023 0:55]
Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 02:29 - Jan 28 with 2811 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s horrific police brutality but the cops being black will likely quell any mass riots as seen in the George Floyd case.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 09:28 - Jan 28 with 2549 viewsStokieBlue

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 02:29 - Jan 28 by Illinoisblue

It’s horrific police brutality but the cops being black will likely quell any mass riots as seen in the George Floyd case.

Protests across the country.

Americans have had enough of their police forces acting like brutal gangs.

The ethnicity of the officers is irrelevant, the police as an institution in the US are fundamentally out of control.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 09:29 - Jan 28 with 2535 viewsKeno

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 09:28 - Jan 28 by StokieBlue

The ethnicity of the officers is irrelevant, the police as an institution in the US are fundamentally out of control.

SB

At least we can rely on the good old Met to protect us ……. Oh …….

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 09:43 - Jan 28 with 2506 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Police in America take it to a whole other level don't they.

All this from a traffic stop? Details still comming out but its appalling so far.

Would love to know what our US based fans make of the climate there. When I was a kid, like many others I imagine, I dreamed of living in America but I just couldn't now, the guns, the police, the employment law application. Its a messed up country, I suppose I'm white so it I would have the same degree of paranoia (understandable paranoia) that the back community must have but still.

I believe the officers in question have been fired, at least that's happened quite quickly. I also haven't seen the union trying to defend them which tells its own story.

All very sad really, that man didn't need to lose his life over a traffic stop.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 09:53 - Jan 28 with 2472 viewsGuthrum

SB

Part of the problem with US policing is that it is not an institutuion, but a highly fragmented and dispersed series of discrete organisations, sometimes with overlapping juristictions at different levels. Crucially, there is no standardisation or centralised oversight.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 10:02 - Jan 28 with 2450 viewsStokieBlue

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 09:53 - Jan 28 by Guthrum

Part of the problem with US policing is that it is not an institutuion, but a highly fragmented and dispersed series of discrete organisations, sometimes with overlapping juristictions at different levels. Crucially, there is no standardisation or centralised oversight.

I'm not sure having a centralised federal oversight would make any difference, there is clearly a culture which is deeply ingrained and which runs through many of the forces regardless of autonomy.

SB

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 10:10 - Jan 28 with 2427 viewshatch

I mean how any group of 5 cops can think they can kick a handcuffed man in the head and punch him like a rag doll is beyond comprehension. That summarises how deeply ingrained the problem is. Given the number of cops in the US you would like to think this is a small population of crazy policeman and cases like that will reduce this but they don’t seem to be learning.

Because Tyre ran from their original stop (which didn’t really help but I can’t blame a black man in America for panicking in that situation) I think they were all angry and annoyed at having to chase him so. Similarly because they stupidly pepper sprayed themselves they took out their anger of that on him.

Biden’s line of ‘please let law and order do its job’ in a plea to suppress any rioting will surely only entice riots as its law and order not doing their job that led to this in the first place.
Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 10:11 - Jan 28 with 2422 viewsGuthrum

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 10:02 - Jan 28 by StokieBlue

I'm not sure having a centralised federal oversight would make any difference, there is clearly a culture which is deeply ingrained and which runs through many of the forces regardless of autonomy.

SB

Each local force is left to its own devices, there is no overall push to improve standards authority from above to give it impetus or oversight of recruitment, vetting and training.

One of the problems with the Met in the UK has been that it is a law unto itself.

Neither does pay seem very adequate at lower levels, given a lot of them appear to have second jobs as security guards and the like. Which is not going to help in attracting the best candidates.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 10:16 - Jan 28 with 2419 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 10:11 - Jan 28 by Guthrum

Each local force is left to its own devices, there is no overall push to improve standards authority from above to give it impetus or oversight of recruitment, vetting and training.

One of the problems with the Met in the UK has been that it is a law unto itself.

Neither does pay seem very adequate at lower levels, given a lot of them appear to have second jobs as security guards and the like. Which is not going to help in attracting the best candidates.

Pay is actually pretty decent, I think it's a matter of public record in the states so you can look up any officers earnings and six figures is not uncommon.

They do moonlight but I think that's just about maximising income.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 10:57 - Jan 28 with 2354 viewsBlueStreak

SB

‘The ethnicity of the officers is irrelevant, the police as an institution in the US are fundamentally out of control.’

Not sure that the first part of your sentence is really true, given how the George Floyd murder sparked the protests against racism in the states and abroad (and rightly so) due to the officer being white, I’d say that was pretty relevant.
Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 11:12 - Jan 28 with 2277 viewsbluelagos

SB

If you give people a badge, unifrom, weapons and legal powers over ordinary people they will attract the worst of the worst. If you then fail to vet properly, fail to address misconduct, fail to recognise the culture of cover up, then a culture of impunity will develop.

Highlight the many institutional failings and some people in their desperation will seek to defend those organisations and those inside whose inaction allows these individuals/cultures to flourish. Has always been thus.

Anyway, enough about British policing...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 11:24 - Jan 28 with 2232 viewsyorkshire

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 09:43 - Jan 28 by BlueandTruesince82

Police in America take it to a whole other level don't they.

All this from a traffic stop? Details still comming out but its appalling so far.

Would love to know what our US based fans make of the climate there. When I was a kid, like many others I imagine, I dreamed of living in America but I just couldn't now, the guns, the police, the employment law application. Its a messed up country, I suppose I'm white so it I would have the same degree of paranoia (understandable paranoia) that the back community must have but still.

I believe the officers in question have been fired, at least that's happened quite quickly. I also haven't seen the union trying to defend them which tells its own story.

All very sad really, that man didn't need to lose his life over a traffic stop.

There are a lot of problems out here with the policing system in general

1. A lot of it comes down to jobs for the boys - policing provides a good salary for those that don’t really need to be highly educated. In a lot of the smaller towns the guys that finished on the High School (American) Football teams are often the Knuckleheads that are recruited

2. Training basically consists of being told that ‘they’ are out to get you - everyone is armed and wants to kill you - if you go into every stop thinking this then obviously the adrenaline pumps and you make bad decisions - you are also taught to be the aggressor from the get-go in order to intimidate.

3. There is a serious gun/drug/racism problem here in the states which creates for a bad environment for all - I didn’t realize just how racist this country was until I got here - basically in some places it is still a crime to drive whilst black

4. Any effort to control guns is hijacked by the right as an assault on the constitution - the right don’t have any solutions other than more guns and locking more people up (which is handy for them as most are in the pockets of the private prison lobbyists who make more money from more criminals)

5. Any effort to move money any from militising the police and channel it into social work is seen and marketed as ‘defunding the police’ which is again another right wing scare tactic

6. The police force over here is basically run under mob rules - if you so much as make a complaint against another officer then you will be drummed out of the force

Overall the system needs a complete overall but this won’t happen in an America that is deeply polarized between right and left
[Post edited 28 Jan 2023 12:05]
Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 11:54 - Jan 28 with 2146 viewsBlueBadger

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 10:57 - Jan 28 by BlueStreak

‘The ethnicity of the officers is irrelevant, the police as an institution in the US are fundamentally out of control.’

Not sure that the first part of your sentence is really true, given how the George Floyd murder sparked the protests against racism in the states and abroad (and rightly so) due to the officer being white, I’d say that was pretty relevant.

Worth noting here as well that the black officers involved here have swiftly faced consequences for their actions, unlike the white officers involved in the George Floyd murder.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 12:05 - Jan 28 with 2132 viewsStokieBlue

The original post was saying there wouldn't be such a reaction because the officers were black but clearly that is wrong, there were large protests in cities across America.

Whilst racism is clearly a massive problem in the police forces in the US it goes far deeper than that as this killing shows and that racism isn't the only driver for some of the awful police behaviour we see in the US.

SB

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 13:44 - Jan 28 with 1933 viewsIllinoisblue

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 12:05 - Jan 28 by StokieBlue

The original post was saying there wouldn't be such a reaction because the officers were black but clearly that is wrong, there were large protests in cities across America.

Whilst racism is clearly a massive problem in the police forces in the US it goes far deeper than that as this killing shows and that racism isn't the only driver for some of the awful police behaviour we see in the US.

SB

There are protests, yes, but nowhere near the scale or severity of what happened in Minneapolis and elsewhere after the murder of George Floyd. The original point stands; if it had been white cops in this case, America would be in flames right now.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 14:47 - Jan 28 with 1840 viewssoupytwist

Bit of a longstanding probem:

and this thread:
Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 18:24 - Jan 28 with 1687 viewsHARRY10

First and foremost those stopping this man would have been seen by him as the police. Just as the Milice in war time France were not regarded as fellow Frenchmen, but part of the occupying force, and extremely brutal at that.

That this incident lead to a death has gained worldwide publicity, but had this chap survived would we be aware of it. Much as in the UK where it took a death before we were made aware of how criminal actrs by police werealmost routine.

As said above, the attitude behind this tyoe of behaviour seems 'to go with the job'. We are still recuiting police officers with a 19th century view of policing. Able and willing to use violence as a means to control the public.

The perception over here is that many of the police in the US are of the 'Burfod T Justice's' nephew type - thick and hick.

Most will know what needs changing, but as with current malaise in the UK, it will need a huge change in the mindset of society before that can translate into any real change.
Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 00:24 - Jan 29 with 1535 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Tyre Nichols in Memphis on 12:05 - Jan 28 by StokieBlue

SB

Respectively you have no idea what you’re talking about on this one. American burned from coast to coast after George Floyd. There was large scale civil unrest that went on along time. I know, as I lived in one of those cites. Outside tonight is a very different story.

The race is not irreverent just because it wasn’t white officers that committed this terrible act. It doesn’t work to say that when it’s white officers it’s all because of deep seated racism but when it’s black officers it’s police brutality. It’s also of course not to say that racism hasn’t played a hand / been responsible in previous cases.

I have said on multiple threads on this board that there are many black majority police forces across the country. So it certainly isn’t as simple as the police in America are just vile racists. It’s much more complex than that. Lack of training, police massively struggling to recruit, individual forces making their own rules and culture, millions of firearms on the street in the hands of citizens being just a few of issues that seems to have their hand in these horrible events. What is impossible to watch in this and many other of these vile videos (that we unfortunately see in this country), is the horrible disregard of human life by those have taken an oath to protect and serve.

I still think it important to not blanket all police officers with the same brush though. Many do good community work in very dangerous conditions.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2023 0:39]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024