Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Momentum is a massive asset 07:45 - Apr 9 with 2476 viewsmuccletonjoe

It is with us and we must keep it there
Of our rivals , I feel Plymouth still have a certain amount of the same momentum, they have overcome some major setbacks and still top the league as the only club who have won more games than we have.
Another major injury blow to Mumba may slow them down , but , in my opinion, they remain a worthy promotion candidate who have been there all season. Few would say they don't deserve to be there.
Sheffield are a different proposition , Darren Moore got them on a great run , they looked to be strolling away with first place a few weeks ago. But many Wednesday fans are not enamoured with their manager and never have been. The recent decline will be front and centre tomorrow and any slip ups against Accrington will be magnified incredibly by the home support, especially those who have never been supportive of the manager. It's an interesting one , but Accington Stanley are not the strongest away team in this league by a long way.
Barnsley, too looked to be charging up the table a few weeks ago , but have begun to falter now, a 6 point gap now looks alot more comfortable for us and providing we can maintain or increase that gap over the next 2 weeks, the postponed match may turn out to be not as big as the original fixture seemed to be.
We have potentially 2 difficult games in our remaining fixtures against Peterborough and Barnsley. Would we get away with losing those two ?
I think possibly , yes.
But only if we win all the others, which is a tall order , but the momentum is with us , we just need it to stay there for a.nother 2 weeks
Momentum is a massive asset on 09:07 - Apr 9 with 2271 viewsPinewoodblue

Loss of Windass has been the undoing of Wednesday.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Momentum is a massive asset on 09:15 - Apr 9 with 2234 viewsNthQldITFC

Momentum is a massive asset on 09:07 - Apr 9 by Pinewoodblue

...and left a bad smell in Hillsborough.

(insert other fart puns here)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Momentum is a massive asset on 11:52 - Apr 9 with 2032 viewsIllinoisblue

5 wins from 7 would leave us on 96 points. Barnsley ‘could’ match that if they win all of their 7 games, but our goal difference would presumably still be better than theirs. Weds could win 5 from 6 and also finish on 96. Unlikely on their current form. But who knows. Plymouth must surely be due a late wobble but they just seem to win when needed. And with their home form so good, their run of 3 home games in a row might just seal it for them.

We have the squad, the momentum, the much better goal difference… if we can win at Bolton and Derby, there’s no reason to fear going to Posh or Barnsley.

Fk it. Who knows. A win tomorrow is of course vital. COYB

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Momentum is a massive asset on 11:56 - Apr 9 with 2009 viewssolemio

Momentum is a massive asset on 09:15 - Apr 9 by NthQldITFC

...and left a bad smell in Hillsborough.

(insert other fart puns here)

Thanks for the invitation, but I think on this occasion I'll forgo it.
Momentum is a massive asset on 11:59 - Apr 9 with 2004 viewsSteve_M

Momentum is a massive asset on 11:52 - Apr 9 by Illinoisblue

5 wins from 7 would leave us on 96 points. Barnsley ‘could’ match that if they win all of their 7 games, but our goal difference would presumably still be better than theirs. Weds could win 5 from 6 and also finish on 96. Unlikely on their current form. But who knows. Plymouth must surely be due a late wobble but they just seem to win when needed. And with their home form so good, their run of 3 home games in a row might just seal it for them.

We have the squad, the momentum, the much better goal difference… if we can win at Bolton and Derby, there’s no reason to fear going to Posh or Barnsley.

Obviously if we win tomorrow we’ll feck up one of the ‘easier’ home games….

Definitely a difficult place to try and impose our game Cheltenham but we’re in a better state to play then than similar matches in January. Still a way to go but if we could win the next three and be on 90 points before Peterborough and Barnsley then we would have a bit of breathing room.

I’m still hoping that Lincoln go and sh1thouse a win at Plymouth tomorrow but zero hopes for Accrington at Hillsborough.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Momentum is a massive asset on 12:10 - Apr 9 with 1971 viewsIllinoisblue

Momentum is a massive asset on 11:59 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

Definitely a difficult place to try and impose our game Cheltenham but we’re in a better state to play then than similar matches in January. Still a way to go but if we could win the next three and be on 90 points before Peterborough and Barnsley then we would have a bit of breathing room.

I’m still hoping that Lincoln go and sh1thouse a win at Plymouth tomorrow but zero hopes for Accrington at Hillsborough.

Weds look very ordinary from what I’ve seen of them lately. All they did second half at Oxford was launch it in the box. But I have zero doubt Accrington will offer no resistance. Although I thought that their game at FGR….

If they win and we only draw it would still be in our hands but the mood would feel very very different and we’d have a nervous home crowd v Charlton.

I don’t recall the burley years being this nervous and anxious. Football, bloody hell.

62 - 78 - 81

Momentum is a massive asset on 12:42 - Apr 9 with 1907 viewsSteve_M

Momentum is a massive asset on 12:10 - Apr 9 by Illinoisblue

Weds look very ordinary from what I’ve seen of them lately. All they did second half at Oxford was launch it in the box. But I have zero doubt Accrington will offer no resistance. Although I thought that their game at FGR….

If they win and we only draw it would still be in our hands but the mood would feel very very different and we’d have a nervous home crowd v Charlton.

I don’t recall the burley years being this nervous and anxious. Football, bloody hell.

I think the late 90s were tense at times but the big difference was probably that Internet access was more sporadic, desktop only which meant the library at uni for me. Some of the more emotional posters would only have had their mates to sound off too.

98-99 we really did blow it late on, 10 wins out of 12 and then only seven points from the last six games. Losing at Birmingham certainly didn’t feel as catastrophic as it should have done although I think Crewe the week before probably did:

https://prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=seasons&text=1998-99&level=1

99-00 definitely felt more tense, Man City finished very well and there was some sense that failing again would see several players leaving:

https://prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=seasons&text=1999-00&level=1

We’ve also got the added pressure now of not having a promotion for 23 years, that weighs heavily on a lot of us. The 23 years before that promotion were rather better for ITFC despite two relegations.

Momentum is a massive asset on 12:56 - Apr 9 with 1870 viewsbilllm

Momentum is a massive asset on 11:59 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

We won't be messing any home games up,
Login to get fewer ads

Momentum is a massive asset on 13:29 - Apr 9 with 1799 viewsIllinoisblue

Momentum is a massive asset on 12:42 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

I think the late 90s were tense at times but the big difference was probably that Internet access was more sporadic, desktop only which meant the library at uni for me. Some of the more emotional posters would only have had their mates to sound off too.

98-99 we really did blow it late on, 10 wins out of 12 and then only seven points from the last six games. Losing at Birmingham certainly didn’t feel as catastrophic as it should have done although I think Crewe the week before probably did:

99-00 definitely felt more tense, Man City finished very well and there was some sense that failing again would see several players leaving:

We’ve also got the added pressure now of not having a promotion for 23 years, that weighs heavily on a lot of us. The 23 years before that promotion were rather better for ITFC despite two relegations.

You’re absolutely right re Internet. What was once a casual chat over a few pints and a quick scan of teletext is now an amplified never-ending often reactionary and baseless noise. We’re all guilty at times and there’s no turning back.

Although tbf there is plenty of good stuff on Twitter too

62 - 78 - 81

Momentum is a massive asset on 13:29 - Apr 9 with 1794 viewsRyorry

Often ended on the "engaged" tone for me too - & learned not to bother on weekend evenings when other subscribers to the LAN were listening to music, speeds would drop from about 27 kbs to about 10kbs 😂

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Momentum is a massive asset on 13:57 - Apr 9 with 1755 viewsNthQldITFC

In those days (in the context of which league we were in and the teams we had around us) we weren't the force we are now.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Momentum is a massive asset on 14:32 - Apr 9 with 1661 viewsSteve_M

Momentum is a massive asset on 12:56 - Apr 9 by billlm

We won't be messing any home games up,

I don't think we will but only because McKenna has made the players aware how high their standards need to be all the time.

Momentum is a massive asset on 14:49 - Apr 9 with 1603 viewsRyorry

Momentum is a massive asset on 14:32 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

I don't think we will but only because McKenna has made the players aware how high their standards need to be all the time.

Gotta acknowledge risk of L1 reffing standards too, unfortunately.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 14:50]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Momentum is a massive asset on 15:17 - Apr 9 with 1550 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Momentum is a massive asset on 11:52 - Apr 9 by Illinoisblue

One game at a time, but we are a real force at present. Crazy how much better this team looks than the team that started the season, which was already excellent at this level. Things just feel cohesive from top to bottom, like we have been in a tense endurance race and suddenly found a supercharger.

Every game is massive but these next two feel the biggest of all. Two teams with which we have a point to prove and suddenly only 15 points left after that. Wednesday without Byers and Windass look impotent, Barnsley maybe have too much to do, especially if we keep our foot down. Plymouth I agree still have a wobble in them, but probably only enough of a wobble to drop to second. Injuries for them have come at a good time for us.

Oh god its a sickening mix of exciting and terrifying. I never lost the faith that automatics could be possible but it feels surreal to be here with it all in our hands. Every part of the club feels like it is pulling in unison right now and it is frankly the most enjoyable time I've had supporting Town by some distance. When we went down we had the banner that read "there is a light that never goes out". Right now it should read "please, please, please, let me get what I want".

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Momentum is a massive asset on 15:40 - Apr 9 with 1510 viewsElephantintheRoom

Results come in clusters. Always have, always will. IF Town have a few draws they’ll dip into the play off positions and people on here will want to sack the manager again.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Momentum is a massive asset on 16:57 - Apr 9 with 1370 viewsIllinoisblue

Momentum is a massive asset on 15:17 - Apr 9 by SlippinJimmyJuan

One game at a time, but we are a real force at present. Crazy how much better this team looks than the team that started the season, which was already excellent at this level. Things just feel cohesive from top to bottom, like we have been in a tense endurance race and suddenly found a supercharger.

Every game is massive but these next two feel the biggest of all. Two teams with which we have a point to prove and suddenly only 15 points left after that. Wednesday without Byers and Windass look impotent, Barnsley maybe have too much to do, especially if we keep our foot down. Plymouth I agree still have a wobble in them, but probably only enough of a wobble to drop to second. Injuries for them have come at a good time for us.

Oh god its a sickening mix of exciting and terrifying. I never lost the faith that automatics could be possible but it feels surreal to be here with it all in our hands. Every part of the club feels like it is pulling in unison right now and it is frankly the most enjoyable time I've had supporting Town by some distance. When we went down we had the banner that read "there is a light that never goes out". Right now it should read "please, please, please, let me get what I want".

Such has been our great form of late I hadn’t thought much about the 4-4. But without looking too far ahead, how nice it would be to get revenge for that absurdity of a game. Cheltenham first, fking come on.

62 - 78 - 81

Momentum is a massive asset on 17:29 - Apr 9 with 1313 viewspositivity

true for football, less so for electability (see also militant tendency)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Momentum is a massive asset on 00:27 - Apr 10 with 1069 viewsbournemouthblue

Momentum is a massive asset on 09:07 - Apr 9 by Pinewoodblue

And Byers, you probably can't underestimate the centre back who's name escapes me, being recalled as well?

I can remember them claiming to have the best squad in the division earlier in the season, whilst dismissing their rivals such as ourselves

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Momentum is a massive asset on 06:10 - Apr 10 with 984 viewscharlie1

Momentum is a massive asset on 00:27 - Apr 10 by bournemouthblue

And Byers, you probably can't underestimate the centre back who's name escapes me, being recalled as well?

I can remember them claiming to have the best squad in the division earlier in the season, whilst dismissing their rivals such as ourselves

Mark McGuiness
Momentum is a massive asset on 12:12 - Apr 10 with 781 viewsbournemouthblue

Momentum is a massive asset on 06:10 - Apr 10 by charlie1

Mark McGuiness

That's had an effect too I am sure

Wednesday strike me as a side, designed to get out of League One but probably would struggle in the Championship much like Rotherham

I think us, Plymouth and Barnsley would be better at coping with the Championship once there

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024