Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opportunity to live and work abroad 16:11 - May 16 with 5995 viewsPriskinftw

I've been headhunted by a Dutch company and offered a contract to work for them earning over double what my current salary is. I think that it is too good to turn down and therefore will be accepting.

As a result, I would move over there later this year and was wondering if any of you have any experience living and working in Europe post-Brexit.

Could you share any tips, advice or things to be avoided?

On winged feet, only the light will feel the wind.
Blog: [Blog] Is It Really a Wickham Wonderland?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:28 - May 16 with 3581 viewsfactual_blue

Avoid coming back. brexit has destroyed this country.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:33 - May 16 with 3564 viewshype313

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:28 - May 16 by factual_blue

Avoid coming back. brexit has destroyed this country.

Even Farage has come out and said it's been catastrophic for the UK Economy, you couldn't make it up.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Opportunity to live and work abroad (n/t) on 16:42 - May 16 with 3514 viewsThisIsMyUsername

[Post edited 16 May 2023 16:42]

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:47 - May 16 with 3491 viewsKieran_Knows

Obviously not sure what your personal life/circumstances are, but a big regret of mine is not going to work/live abroad when I was younger. Not even to stay permanently, just a couple of years to experience it.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The architects of our downfall really are beginning to be exposed for the.. on 16:50 - May 16 with 3470 viewsunstableblue

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:33 - May 16 by hype313

Even Farage has come out and said it's been catastrophic for the UK Economy, you couldn't make it up.

.. charlatans and false prophets they really are..

right wing populist clap trap liars the lot of them

Rees mogg this week has lied about weights and measure (who fecking wants pounds and ounces, and even if you did the EU didn't stop you using them as long as metric was displayed) and also lied about whether we can supported Ukraine..

they've lied about the how we still had real sovereignty on laws

they're starting up these silly little CPAC lite conferences.. and they're toadying around on their Fox News lite channels.. funded by shady chancers who don't care about UK plc one jot.. they want to divide as to hate difference

and now the USA and the EU are going into more entrenched trade pacts...

We need to rejoin or get as good and as tight an EU relationship as soon as possible

BUT THE REAL NEWS... its clear that the brexit they all clamoured for was a very HARD brexit.. they lied to say we could have something different.. that a deal was possible... that is unforgiveable

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:52 - May 16 with 3465 viewsclive_baker

Congratulations on the new job. I wouldn't hesitate to take it if your circumstances allow. I've lived and worked in NYC and Europe and have very fond memories of both. For me it was never a forever thing, but something I wanted to do and experience and was lucky that both occasions were internal work moves and most of the practical bits were spoon fed to me to get the move sorted. I was also young and single then, so there were other benefits too. Now I'm boring and married with kids it has less appeal and is less practical.

This was 2010's pre Brexit though so I'm not sure if it's any different now. Having travelled post Brexit I can't say I've noticed much difference tbh, but I'm not clued up on the practical and legal realities now. One thing I would say is if you consume the media in this country you would be forgiven for thinking it's the dogs in the UK and all milk & honey in Europe, which is far from the truth. A lot of the pain we feel is also being felt elsewhere, but I would say go and enjoy it, throw yourself into a different culture. What's the worst that can happen?

Advice (assuming you've done all the practical stuff like considering the finances):

1) Try and meet locals, join clubs, work socials etc. You'll get a much better experience than living in an expat bubble.

2) You're still close to home, make visits, stay connected to people here and put the work in to maintain those relationships. That's easier now than ever with technology.

3) Live in a nice area if you can, especially in the short term. I paid more than I would've been likely to at home (relatively speaking) for accommodation to enhance the experience, at least until you've got your feet under the table.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:54 - May 16 with 3447 viewsKieran_Knows

Oh, and don't call the country 'Holland', the locals don't like that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:54 - May 16 with 3446 viewsfarkenhell

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:47 - May 16 by Kieran_Knows

Obviously not sure what your personal life/circumstances are, but a big regret of mine is not going to work/live abroad when I was younger. Not even to stay permanently, just a couple of years to experience it.

I'll second this, which is also a regret of mine. Not wishing to sound like an old fart, but the older you get, the more difficult it becomes to experience something like this. A couple of years in your twenties might sound like a long time, but it isn't really.

If you do go for it (and it sounds like you will) then I will wish you all the best (with every jealousy!)
Login to get fewer ads

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:00 - May 16 with 3420 viewsbluelagos

My only tip (apart from what is stopping you?) would be to do some proper research on the cultural differences you will meet.

I really like the Dutch, but one thing that could come as a shock is just how blunt they are. Last year I stopped in Arnhem for a night and in the morning went to get a coffee/croissant in the morning. I couldn't see anywhere to park so cheekily stuck my motorbike on a path next to some pushbikes, got my breakie and sat eating it knowing I'd be half blocking the path for all of 3 minutes.

As I was sitting down an old lady came up to me and said "You mustn't do that" - I explained I'd be 2 mins (thinking my parking had annoyed her) and she said no, that was fine. I mustn't eat Croissants or I will get fat.

She had gone upto a complete stranger to share her distaste for my choice of breakfast. At one level I was like "Excuse me?" but at another she was going out of her way to offer me dietary advice keen to see me live a healthier life.

One example of the bluntness of the Dutch - which will be new and worth learning about in advance if possible :-)

Other advice (as an ex-expat) would be to make the most of your time there. Forget Ipswich, follow a local team and use your weekends making the most of what's on your doorstep including in Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany.

UK will still be there - but you'll never again get a chance for such an easy weekend in Cologne/Brugges/Copenhagen etc.

Enjoy - sure it will be awesome.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:01 - May 16 with 3416 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Congratulations, I'd move to Holland in a heartbeat, amazing chips.

No advice but nice one. Jealous

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:06 - May 16 with 3394 viewsbluelagos

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:54 - May 16 by Kieran_Knows

One thing I've never worked out is what are you supposed to call a person from The Netherlands?

Or is Dutch ok?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:08 - May 16 with 3389 viewsMattinLondon

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:33 - May 16 by hype313

He said the form of Brexit we have now has been bad for the UK not Brexit as an ideology.

He and his mates wants to deregulate the country and make it into some sort of free market utopia. By this, the ones at the top make tonnes more money with less tax on it. Whilst the ones at the bottom have no holiday entitlement and nothing else.
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:10 - May 16 with 3377 viewsblueasfook

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:00 - May 16 by bluelagos

My only tip (apart from what is stopping you?) would be to do some proper research on the cultural differences you will meet.

I really like the Dutch, but one thing that could come as a shock is just how blunt they are. Last year I stopped in Arnhem for a night and in the morning went to get a coffee/croissant in the morning. I couldn't see anywhere to park so cheekily stuck my motorbike on a path next to some pushbikes, got my breakie and sat eating it knowing I'd be half blocking the path for all of 3 minutes.

As I was sitting down an old lady came up to me and said "You mustn't do that" - I explained I'd be 2 mins (thinking my parking had annoyed her) and she said no, that was fine. I mustn't eat Croissants or I will get fat.

She had gone upto a complete stranger to share her distaste for my choice of breakfast. At one level I was like "Excuse me?" but at another she was going out of her way to offer me dietary advice keen to see me live a healthier life.

One example of the bluntness of the Dutch - which will be new and worth learning about in advance if possible :-)

Other advice (as an ex-expat) would be to make the most of your time there. Forget Ipswich, follow a local team and use your weekends making the most of what's on your doorstep including in Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany.

UK will still be there - but you'll never again get a chance for such an easy weekend in Cologne/Brugges/Copenhagen etc.

I was impressed with the rail network. For example, from Amsterdam Centraal station, you could jump on a train to Germany, Belgium, France, Switzerland... Loads of places

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:17 - May 16 with 3351 viewsDaninthecampo

I moved to Spain as soon as the Brexit vote was done and will never return to the UK to live. We always wanted to live in Spain so probably different to your curcumstances.
I'm a financial adviser and 75% of my clients are British expats so your scenario is very common to me, so if you have any specific questions you want to ask just drop me a message and I'll be happy to help,obviously no charge!
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:28 - May 16 with 3257 viewsPinewoodblue

1 in 3 Dutch nationals live in either North, or South, Holland.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:03 - May 16 with 3119 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I thought the British weren't allowed to work in Europe any more!?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:04 - May 16 with 3112 viewsMattinLondon

You sure about that? I lived with a Dutch bloke and he said it didn’t matter whether you call it Holland or The Netherlands.
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:05 - May 16 with 3108 viewsfactual_blue

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:03 - May 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Only if they're fruit pickers.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:08 - May 16 with 3099 viewsbluelagos

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:03 - May 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

I know you are only playing - but things have changed - we have no right to live/work in Europe as we did preBrexit.

An EU country can choose to give individuals short term work / residential rights but nothing is ever simple.

My nephew took a job in Italy a couple of years ago. When his partner wanted to go and live with him, he ended up getting married as the solution to the barriers that were in place. It also took him like 3 months to sort out his work permit / residency before he could start his job.

So things are clearly far harder than they were pre Brexit. Your (Brexiteers) destroying our opportunities is still valid ;-)

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:20 - May 16 with 3054 viewsTractorWood

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:00 - May 16 by bluelagos

I've met some Dutch and they always say they are known for being direct.

No one outside of Holland seems to know this though.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:25 - May 16 with 3033 viewsbelgablue

Congrats on the offer - I'm just across the border. Imagine you will need a working visa now unless you have an EU passport - your employer should help you take care of this. Worth seeing if there's a commissioner for expats type thing over there as the one here has been pretty useful for post Brexit rights, individual/ family which wasn't important before but is now.

Good luck with it all, out of interest, where in the Netherlands?

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:25 - May 16 with 3033 viewsheavyweight

My experience of living in The Netherlands is a little out of date but I thoroughly enjoyed my 5 years there - about 20 years ago.

It is a higher tax country but there is a scheme that reduces the tax for ex-pats if your company can prove that the skills required were not available within the native population.

I lived in the very South, around Maastricht, where the neighbours were very conservative ( small 'c') - everywhere is incredibly tidy and well maintained - woe betide you of you let the street down by having an untidy front garden. Also a very rule driven society.

Of course everyone speaks English which makes it hard to learn the language - if you try then you'll probably get a reply in English.

I'm sure you'll love it.
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:26 - May 16 with 3031 viewsBarcaBlue

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:47 - May 16 by Kieran_Knows

I arrived in Spain in 1987...just for a year or two....
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:35 - May 16 with 3002 viewsnoggin

Been in Norway for 16 years now and will never move back to the UK. I'll be retiring in 3 years and looking to move somewhere a little warmer.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:36 - May 16 with 3000 viewsDistantBlue

Having moved to the Netherlands more than thirty years ago I would say go for it and enjoy the experience. Some of the other posts offer very solid advice, especially the trying to get involved with life outside of just work.
I would also say (although this does depend a bit on how long you are planning to stay), try and make a little effort to learn a bit of the language. Although you almost certainly won’t need it for your work, it does help with general engagement with the world around you. If you end up in a place for three or four years and you still can’t speak a word of the language it ends up feeling a bit tricky when someone asks you why……..I did learn the language, but it was a slow process, and with a Dutch wife, I knew it was a long term project.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024