Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town 13:55 - Jul 19 with 2302 viewsjcolch1

With either Hutchinson or Rak-Sakyi potentially coming in on loan it got me wondering who was the best loan signing for Town that people could think of and vice versa.

Having been a fan since the mid 2000s, of course Gio remains a fond memory for his brief spell, including an amazing first time assist for Quinn against Norwich, but equally Fraser, Lawrence and Celina are also high on the list.

As for worst not many spring to mind immediately, obviously Barry was a bit of a non entity when he was here for a few weeks but other people on here I'm sure have a few others that they could name.

Interested to see who appears on other lists.
Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:01 - Jul 19 with 1962 viewsSteve_M

Some further suggestions (not including players who later signed permanently).

Best :
- Alan Mahon
- Scott Houghton

Worst:
- Tony Dinning
- Gerry Creaney

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:04 - Jul 19 with 1938 viewshomer_123

Worst: Mark Fish?!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:10 - Jul 19 with 1921 viewsArthur_Hayes

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:01 - Jul 19 by Steve_M

Best :
- Alan Mahon
- Scott Houghton

Worst:
- Tony Dinning
- Gerry Creaney

Amongst many others, we can add Michael Clegg to the worst
Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:16 - Jul 19 with 1897 viewshomer_123

Least fav: Danny Karbassiyoon

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:16 - Jul 19 with 1893 viewshomer_123

Best: Daryl Murphy, Gio, Bullard, Mahon

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:21 - Jul 19 with 1874 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

In what was a very very forgettable season Tom Lawrence was absolutely incredible for us. He and Bart essentially picked us up and carried us away from relegation.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:43 - Jul 19 with 1820 viewsArnoldMoorhen

In terms of the "hope versus the reality" disappointment factor, Moritz Voltz would be up there. Everybody on here was so excited when he arrived and thought he would be brilliant, but he turned out to be slightly below average for players of that era.

The correct answer for best loan player has to be Jim Magilton, surely? OK, he scored the hattrick the following season after he had signed permanently, but without a good loan spell he wouldn't have been with us.

The "wow, that was a statistically brilliant loan spell" award has to go to DJ Campbell, especially when you consider the succession of over-hyped, terminally disappointing, strikers we witnessed in that era.
Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:46 - Jul 19 with 1810 viewsWeWereZombies

Best: Ryan Fraser, honourable mentions to Alan Mahon, Alan Quinn, DJ Campbell

Worst: Mark Fish

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:00 - Jul 19 with 1780 viewsitfc_bucks

Was Ingimarsson a loan?

Either way, that was Mark Fish levels of sht, but somehow, he doesn't get as much grief...
Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:10 - Jul 19 with 1757 viewshomer_123

Worst(ish): Reece Brown, Patrick Kisnorbo, Henshall

Best(ish): Jonny Williams

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:18 - Jul 19 with 1740 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:00 - Jul 19 by itfc_bucks

Was Ingimarsson a loan?

Either way, that was Mark Fish levels of sht, but somehow, he doesn't get as much grief...

No. Signed him on a free.

1. Played 8 games.
2. Mutual termination.
3. Retired.

Theres some debate about the actual order of items 1, 2 and 3.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 15:21]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:23 - Jul 19 with 1710 viewsSuperblue95

Surely Jordan Graham has to be the worst on the basis he was on loan here twice and was utterly anonymous on both occasions.

If Bonne went back to QPR that January he’d have been in with a shout of being one of the best

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:29 - Jul 19 with 1687 viewsKropotkin123

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:43 - Jul 19 by ArnoldMoorhen

In terms of the "hope versus the reality" disappointment factor, Moritz Voltz would be up there. Everybody on here was so excited when he arrived and thought he would be brilliant, but he turned out to be slightly below average for players of that era.

The correct answer for best loan player has to be Jim Magilton, surely? OK, he scored the hattrick the following season after he had signed permanently, but without a good loan spell he wouldn't have been with us.

The "wow, that was a statistically brilliant loan spell" award has to go to DJ Campbell, especially when you consider the succession of over-hyped, terminally disappointing, strikers we witnessed in that era.

Yeah, Magilton is the best loan I've seen. Reuser is up there too.

Harewood is probably the worst, based on how good his career was at Forest and West Ham.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:47 - Jul 19 with 1661 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ian Juryeff was a puzzling one. Think he impressed against us in a league cup tie when he was at Orient, so we signed him up on a loan wondering if he was some Kevin Wilson mk2. He wasn't.

Scott Houghton was a good loanee a couple or so years later.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:50 - Jul 19 with 1654 viewsRadlett_blue

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:00 - Jul 19 by itfc_bucks

Was Ingimarsson a loan?

Mark Fish does get a huge amount of opprobrium for having spent 45 minutes in a Town shirt when blatantly not match fit when we were desperate.
In terms of performances in a Town shirt, Vemund Brekke Skard at Watford & David Kerslake at Charlton were far worse.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 15:59 - Jul 19 with 1620 viewsZx1988

Gianni Zuiverloon?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 16:04 - Jul 19 with 1611 viewsSharkey

You asked for favourite, as well as best. I’d say Phil Parkes, - it just seemed slightly unreal seeing him in goal for Town, a bit like Jim Laker bowling for Essex .

Edit: sorry, my mistake - he wasn’t on loan . Belongs in a different thread - Other clubs’ legends who played a handful of games for ITFC.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 16:11]
Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 16:08 - Jul 19 with 1596 viewsbelgablue

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:01 - Jul 19 by Steve_M

Best :
- Alan Mahon
- Scott Houghton

Worst:
- Tony Dinning
- Gerry Creaney

Vaguely remember a year or so after Creaney, who made Neil Gregory look slim, we signed someone called Le Tiss who was also useless.

Josh Harrop has to be on everyone's list as the worst, or one of.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 16:19 - Jul 19 with 1566 viewsBlueBadger

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 14:10 - Jul 19 by Arthur_Hayes

Amongst many others, we can add Michael Clegg to the worst

I think it was 4-4-2 magazine that used to run a feature called 'the boy's a bit special'.
I was really excited about Clegg signing, because he's been featured in it a few months ago.

Turns out, the boy wasn't really that special.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 16:29 - Jul 19 with 1545 viewsBlueBoots

Some went so badly you barely remember them - big shout out to Zeki Fryers!

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 16:45 - Jul 19 with 1514 viewsBigCommon

Under Game Changer era, Hirst has to be our must impactful loan signing, imo...

As far as worst loan during GC era? I'm still scratching my head over the Louie Barry loan.
Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 16:53 - Jul 19 with 1480 viewsJ2BLUE

Avoiding the obvious best ones I will go for Jimmy Juan and Matthew Bates (yes just for THAT moment).

As for worst there are loads. Alex Henshall was a particularly pointless one.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 17:44 - Jul 19 with 1412 viewsSteve_M

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 16:29 - Jul 19 by BlueBoots

Some went so badly you barely remember them - big shout out to Zeki Fryers!

Played two games, did well in one and was crap in the other. Not sure he comes close.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 18:44 - Jul 19 with 1352 viewsHciwspi

These are two of my favourites…because of the memories not necessarily performances.

Niklas Gudmunson
Sixto Peralta

Least favourites…

So many! Creaney is one for sure. And more recently Probably Barry.
Best/favourite and also worst/least favourite loan signing for Town on 19:22 - Jul 19 with 1296 viewstractordownsouth

I've picked Hirst purely in terms of the impact he had on the squad at a time when the forward line was looking tired. He's the least talented player in the top three but the only one who ultimately helped us to achieve anything.

Best:
1st: George Hirst
2nd: Gio
3rd: Ryan Fraser

Worst:
1st: Josh Harrop
2nd: Zeki Fryers
3rd: Jordan Graham (second spell)

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024