Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The honesty thread 11:17 - Jul 25 with 8436 viewsgreyhound

We had an unreal season last year, but I can't hide from the fact that I have some niggling worries about this season.

So in the spirit of honesty here's a thread of 3 things your worried about going into the new season. Add yours and kindly discuss... (hopefully adding this now still gives us time for things to resolve before Sunderland)

1. Strength of the league: looking left to right there seems to be no easy game. A solid friendly win against league opposition should be taken little more than on face value, there are very few games that will be bankers for points.

2. Defensive strength: we need more bodies in this area. Centre backs are a priority surely

3. Seems that pre season has brought about a few niggly injuries and it's quickly apparent that a bit more depth will be needed for a tough season back in championship.
The honesty thread on 18:48 - Jul 25 with 2325 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Personally, I don’t have any niggling worries going into next season. Maybe I’m a being a bit naive.

It will become apparent fairly quickly if the current squad are up to the job and although a CB and another striker would be nice additions, I think there is enough about us to comfortably hold our own in the championship without perhaps troubling the the 3 clubs that have come down, though they may well find it hard to adjust to a lower level.

Luton were not exactly fancied by anyone last season so there is never any guarantee.

We had fantastic momentum during the last few months in league one so with a bit of luck perhaps can take that into the coming campaign.

Looking forward to it immensely. COYFB.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

The honesty thread on 18:56 - Jul 25 with 2317 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

The honesty thread on 18:48 - Jul 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

Personally, I don’t have any niggling worries going into next season. Maybe I’m a being a bit naive.

It will become apparent fairly quickly if the current squad are up to the job and although a CB and another striker would be nice additions, I think there is enough about us to comfortably hold our own in the championship without perhaps troubling the the 3 clubs that have come down, though they may well find it hard to adjust to a lower level.

Luton were not exactly fancied by anyone last season so there is never any guarantee.

We had fantastic momentum during the last few months in league one so with a bit of luck perhaps can take that into the coming campaign.

Looking forward to it immensely. COYFB.

Are we not fairly sorted now in terms of strikers? With Hirst and Ladapo (assuming they stay fit) surely a 3rd striker will get limited minutes. I can see the need for another no 10/forward type as backup to Broady and Chaplin.

That said I noticed Broadhead said the other day that KM had him playing a more no9 type role in one of the friendlies, I wonder if the idea is for him to be a backup striker, or whether it was just some experimenting from KM?
The honesty thread on 18:58 - Jul 25 with 2312 viewsArnieM

The honesty thread on 17:33 - Jul 25 by SamWhiteUK

Walton absolutely commanded his area last year, especially compared to what we've had prior to him. Not sure what you were watching.

He made handling errors in some games … so we’ll agree to differ.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The honesty thread on 19:07 - Jul 25 with 2300 viewsBloomBlue

1) was buying a season ticket sensible as we'll have the league won by Christmas, maybe going with a half (1st half) season ticket would be cheaper.

2) how many TWTDs will call for sacking McK when we suffer our first draw.

3) how many fans will name a CH they want us to buy claiming those CHs never make a mistake.
The honesty thread on 19:15 - Jul 25 with 2288 viewsDubtractor

Centre back needs at least one more body - and not just squad filler, someone who will expect to be starting.

Like you, I'm a little worried by the niggly injuries in pre season, though I'm sure part of this is just KM being cautious and not taking risks in friendlies - they can still do all the training for fitness.

Fan expectation - I fear that when we have a few iffy results (and we will) the overexcitable/impatient part of our fanbase will throw their toys out of the pram. Part of having a successful season last season, and especially that second half of it, is that expectation has gone through the roof. Football seasons are a marathon, not a sprint, and I hope that people keep grounded in a way that they didn't when we had our wobble last season.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The honesty thread on 06:51 - Jul 26 with 2200 viewsPioneerBlue

1. Flouncing regulars will unnerve everyone and their dog in whatever our bad patch looks like
2. An injury to a key starter can’t be covered by a finisher
3. Not enough players step up quickly meaning it’s obvious we aren’t going to win the league and the fans can’t retain their intensity through to May

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

The honesty thread on 07:06 - Jul 26 with 2188 viewsArchiRob

My biggest fear is that we do finish top 6 playing with a swagger and style, but fail to achieve promotion. And then have to watch the 3 promoted teams cherry pick our best players, granted that is how presumably how our model is set up - but irrespective of the income generated it would be hard to see the nucleus of the following season disappear - and if this season is anything to go by right at the end of the window.

Poll: What best describes Norwich defeat

The honesty thread on 07:33 - Jul 26 with 2175 viewsChorleyBoy

1. I worry that Naarrich will get relegated and we'll have no fun beating them for the rest of the decade.

2. I worry that we'll get promoted and we'll end up a mid-table Premier League side for the rest of my days.

3. I worry that on the back of an incredible second half of last season and huge positive momentum going into this one, we have the sort of fans who even before a ball is kicked are listing things they are worried about.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 7:35]
Login to get fewer ads

The honesty thread on 11:14 - Jul 26 with 2087 viewsSamWhiteUK

The honesty thread on 18:58 - Jul 25 by ArnieM

He made handling errors in some games … so we’ll agree to differ.

Name me a keeper who doesn't. We're at Championship level.
The honesty thread on 11:33 - Jul 26 with 2059 viewsChurchman

The honesty thread on 11:14 - Jul 26 by SamWhiteUK

Name me a keeper who doesn't. We're at Championship level.

I saw some pretty horrendous goalie errors in the PL last year - you are right, all keepers make mistakes.

Walton is a good goalkeeper for Championship level. Nothing to worry about there.
The honesty thread on 11:35 - Jul 26 with 2056 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The honesty thread on 11:25 - Jul 25 by J2BLUE

1. Injuries. Our first 11 can give anyone in the league a good game but concerned an injury to Chaplin/Broadhead/Morsy/Clarke/Davis could derail us

2. McKenna getting poached. If we have a good season there will be teams looking at him. It would likely take a Premier League team so hopefully any of them in trouble would be looking to more traditional firefighters. The outside bet is Leeds/Southampton/Leicester start badly and come calling before Christmas.

3. The fans. Most are sensible but we've seen how loudly the minority can shout and there are some who turn quickly if we don't start well. Long term with this set up we are only going one way. I just hope people keep their nerve.

Spot on with fans. There were a few on here wanting McKenna out last season... a season where we ultimately won promotion and broke several records in doing so.

So in a higher league where we'll have many fewer occasions where we have things our own way, how the hell are these people going to cope? On TWTD we already know who these people will be.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The honesty thread on 11:39 - Jul 26 with 2053 viewsFrimleyBlue

The honesty thread on 11:35 - Jul 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

Spot on with fans. There were a few on here wanting McKenna out last season... a season where we ultimately won promotion and broke several records in doing so.

So in a higher league where we'll have many fewer occasions where we have things our own way, how the hell are these people going to cope? On TWTD we already know who these people will be.

Depends on expectations doesn't it?

We re not the big fish in the pond this time round so there's already an acknowledgment that results will be and up and down like a normal football season.

The oct-jan blip last season wasn't good enough for the league we were in. Clearly agreed with by the manager who went and brought in 4 players to make us better.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The honesty thread on 12:17 - Jul 26 with 2031 viewsitfcsuth

I would be very very surprised if we reached the top 6 this year - I think we are a very good side, but of course there is a significant leap in quality.

I think we need at least 1 more CB - but probably nothing beyond that.

No major worries. I am really looking forward to the season, and enjoy watching us play every time we cross the white line.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 12:19]
The honesty thread on 13:17 - Jul 26 with 1994 viewsSE1blue

Based in Canada, I have the following worries...

1. Town TV will make iFollow look like Universal Studios. I'm expecting teething problems that will make me really miss the days of audio that announced goals before the streamed images, and inaccessible matches that provided quick refunds.

2. Sky will put us on live so much, that the above worry becomes a different kind of worry

3. Work will uncover the truth as to why I always have 'focused work time' between 2-5pm on Tuesdays.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

The honesty thread on 13:56 - Jul 26 with 1963 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The honesty thread on 11:39 - Jul 26 by FrimleyBlue

Depends on expectations doesn't it?

We re not the big fish in the pond this time round so there's already an acknowledgment that results will be and up and down like a normal football season.

The oct-jan blip last season wasn't good enough for the league we were in. Clearly agreed with by the manager who went and brought in 4 players to make us better.

I don't think that'll stop some throwing their toys out. You included, frankly.

I also don't agree with your premise that we bought 4 players because of the blip. I'm pretty sure we'd have been looking to strengthen anyway.

Almost every team has some sort of 'blip'. The table doesn't lie, it's what you finish with that counts, so I dispute that anything in that record-breaking, promotion-winning season "wasn't good enough for the league we were in." If you were expecting perfect all the way, you had unreasonable expectations.

I think that's where we differ. I have a lot more patience, and trust in the process, that things'll come good.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 16:08]

The honesty thread on 14:15 - Jul 26 with 1951 viewsFrimleyBlue

The honesty thread on 13:56 - Jul 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

I don't think that'll stop some throwing their toys out. You included, frankly.

I also don't agree with your premise that we bought 4 players because of the blip. I'm pretty sure we'd have been looking to strengthen anyway.

Almost every team has some sort of 'blip'. The table doesn't lie, it's what you finish with that counts, so I dispute that anything in that record-breaking, promotion-winning season "wasn't good enough for the league we were in." If you were expecting perfect all the way, you had unreasonable expectations.

I think that's where we differ. I have a lot more patience, and trust in the process, that things'll come good.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 16:08]

The problem is your definition of throwing toys compared to people just discussing the football at a certain point in a season. You prefer for people to wait before discussing things. Imo..as said before, you may aswell shut the forum down from Aug to May if all you're interested in people reacting to end of season finishing positions.

It's upto you if you don't see any part of last season as not good enough. We had an amazing run that still could have been for nothing had Wednesday not bottled it.. HAD that happend then yes those few months of not winning more games would have indeed played a part in that. Thankfully tho we went on a ridiculous run of form and are thankful for it.

I'll be quite meh this season. Don't expect much. If we do great. But can't see it with current squad. So just enjoy what ever happens.

Waka waka eh eh

The honesty thread on 15:44 - Jul 26 with 1897 viewsJ2BLUE

The honesty thread on 14:15 - Jul 26 by FrimleyBlue

The problem is your definition of throwing toys compared to people just discussing the football at a certain point in a season. You prefer for people to wait before discussing things. Imo..as said before, you may aswell shut the forum down from Aug to May if all you're interested in people reacting to end of season finishing positions.

It's upto you if you don't see any part of last season as not good enough. We had an amazing run that still could have been for nothing had Wednesday not bottled it.. HAD that happend then yes those few months of not winning more games would have indeed played a part in that. Thankfully tho we went on a ridiculous run of form and are thankful for it.

I'll be quite meh this season. Don't expect much. If we do great. But can't see it with current squad. So just enjoy what ever happens.

You can't credit our promotion to them bottling it. Each played 46 games and we were better. Every team in the league had a bad run with the possible exception of Plymouth and it took them until the final day to finally shake us off

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The honesty thread on 16:19 - Jul 26 with 1856 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The honesty thread on 14:15 - Jul 26 by FrimleyBlue

You've reframed what I was saying (and what the toy-throwers were saying) so you can have a winning position on it. I haven't remotely suggested people should stop discussing football until the season finishes, and you, I, and anyone reading this knows the difference between "just discussing football" and "throwing toys out of the pram".

I was also referring to "a few on here wanting McKenna out last season" at the start of this discussion.

We had an amazing run because we had an amazing team and amazing manager. It wasn't a flukey run. It's also worth bearing in mind both Plymouth and Sheff Weds had record-breaking points hauls and all 3 would be up automatically (probably as champions) on any other occasion.

"I'll be quite meh this season.. so (will) just enjoy what ever happens."
I shall be watching your posts with interest, because I'll be astonished if that's true!

The honesty thread on 17:27 - Jul 26 with 1813 viewsFrimleyBlue

The honesty thread on 16:19 - Jul 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

You've reframed what I was saying (and what the toy-throwers were saying) so you can have a winning position on it. I haven't remotely suggested people should stop discussing football until the season finishes, and you, I, and anyone reading this knows the difference between "just discussing football" and "throwing toys out of the pram".

I was also referring to "a few on here wanting McKenna out last season" at the start of this discussion.

We had an amazing run because we had an amazing team and amazing manager. It wasn't a flukey run. It's also worth bearing in mind both Plymouth and Sheff Weds had record-breaking points hauls and all 3 would be up automatically (probably as champions) on any other occasion.

"I'll be quite meh this season.. so (will) just enjoy what ever happens."
I shall be watching your posts with interest, because I'll be astonished if that's true!

You said ' you included' then say here you mean the ones who said KM out. Despite me being quite loud about disappointing results. I never once said KM out.

Waka waka eh eh

The honesty thread on 19:50 - Jul 26 with 1762 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The honesty thread on 17:27 - Jul 26 by FrimleyBlue

You said ' you included' then say here you mean the ones who said KM out. Despite me being quite loud about disappointing results. I never once said KM out.

That was a different point. You said, "Depends on expectations doesn't it?...there's already an acknowledgment that results will be up and down..."
And I responded, "I don't think that'll stop some throwing their toys out. You included, frankly."

That bit was nothing to do with people who said McKenna out.

The honesty thread on 20:36 - Jul 26 with 1725 viewsFrimleyBlue

The honesty thread on 19:50 - Jul 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

That was a different point. You said, "Depends on expectations doesn't it?...there's already an acknowledgment that results will be up and down..."
And I responded, "I don't think that'll stop some throwing their toys out. You included, frankly."

That bit was nothing to do with people who said McKenna out.

Oh I see. So yeah just discussing the football as it happens. Good to clarify.

Waka waka eh eh

The honesty thread on 20:44 - Jul 26 with 1707 viewsSwansea_Blue

Back on topic, if I had to list three things it would be

1. Slight surprise we haven’t added a couple of bits of extra quality for the starting 11. Essentially we’re shaping up for the same first 11 as last year plus Taylor. Mitigating that is the performances against Preston and Luton that maybe show we don’t need them.

2. Strength in depth. We had a great squad last year, but will the fringe players be able to step up?

3. KM being poached, because I think he’s the real deal and we’re VERY lucky to have him. I think he could take us all the way and I’m not sure many others could.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The honesty thread on 22:02 - Jul 26 with 1682 viewsMeadowlark

McKenna will only move if Manure or Spuds come calling, and he is unlikely to go somewhere where quick results are needed after a sacking. And where job security is so ephemeral.
So he's here for the long haul.
I do worry about our defence and our keeper though....
The honesty thread on 22:41 - Jul 26 with 1647 viewsBluespeed225

Prepare for Leif and Wes to defend more than attack.
This board. 3 losses and it'll be carnage.
Remember, 4+ goals in a game will likely not happen all season! I will be quite happy with 30 1-0 wins if it means it cements our place above mid table.
The honesty thread on 22:53 - Jul 26 with 1628 viewsSwansea_Blue

The honesty thread on 22:41 - Jul 26 by Bluespeed225

Prepare for Leif and Wes to defend more than attack.
This board. 3 losses and it'll be carnage.
Remember, 4+ goals in a game will likely not happen all season! I will be quite happy with 30 1-0 wins if it means it cements our place above mid table.

Wes will have to track back (and does already), but at least he won’t be as exposed as when he was playing as a wingback. So that should be fine. We just need to cope with breaks, as I bet we’ll still be taking the game to teams.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024