Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. 07:42 - Jul 28 with 6018 viewsMercian

Until someone from a country with perhaps the worst LGBT rights in the world offers him a lot of money that is. I really respected him but like Gerrard he is a sell out.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 7:43]
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 08:13 - Jul 28 with 3444 viewsRobTheMonk

Ridiculous contract for a 33 year old approaching the latter part of his career.

But, money talks and 700k a week is a hell of a lot of money. I think people are annoyed at the hypocrisy of it; you can't be an advocate for LGBTQ+ and then go off to earn shedloads in a country where those very people face severe repression.

A questionable move from Henderson from a moral standpoint, no doubt, but let's not kid ourselves on the bigger picture. A quick google comes up with:

"Total UK imports from Saudi Arabia amounted to £5.1 billion in the four quarters to the end of Q4 2022"...

Wouldn't surprise me if Henderson ends up living in the USA where his face won't be as well known, once he finishes with Saudi.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 08:40 - Jul 28 with 3342 viewsyorkshireblue

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 08:13 - Jul 28 by RobTheMonk

Ridiculous contract for a 33 year old approaching the latter part of his career.

But, money talks and 700k a week is a hell of a lot of money. I think people are annoyed at the hypocrisy of it; you can't be an advocate for LGBTQ+ and then go off to earn shedloads in a country where those very people face severe repression.

A questionable move from Henderson from a moral standpoint, no doubt, but let's not kid ourselves on the bigger picture. A quick google comes up with:

"Total UK imports from Saudi Arabia amounted to £5.1 billion in the four quarters to the end of Q4 2022"...

Wouldn't surprise me if Henderson ends up living in the USA where his face won't be as well known, once he finishes with Saudi.

His unvieling video...

Could have chosen photos without him with the rainbow armband, but to choose the photos and deliberately grey it out is deliberately provocative
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 08:55 - Jul 28 with 3262 viewsMattinLondon

I’m not sure the fact that the UK does business is relevant here. As a consequence of that, millions of people in this country are kept in employment. Henderson, as an elite footballer doesn’t need the money l, he was already set for life. Surly moving there is just greed.

Or maybe I’m simply excusing successive governments from its dealings with that state. I don’t know.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 08:56 - Jul 28 with 3265 viewsMeadowlark

Perhaps he will educate his bosses and local fans. He might have a plan?

(I'm not saying this with much conviction, but you never know.....?)
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:06 - Jul 28 with 3220 viewsVaughan8

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 08:40 - Jul 28 by yorkshireblue

His unvieling video...

Could have chosen photos without him with the rainbow armband, but to choose the photos and deliberately grey it out is deliberately provocative

Yes very odd to grey out the armband on the photos.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:07 - Jul 28 with 3218 viewsCobboldCrusty

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 08:56 - Jul 28 by Meadowlark

nah
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:07 - Jul 28 with 3217 viewscressi

Personally hope his England career
Is over a millionaire already with absolutely no morals after all his bluster
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:14 - Jul 28 with 3156 viewsMach_foreignBlue

You'd do the same if you were him.
Login to get fewer ads

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:15 - Jul 28 with 3156 viewsRobTheMonk

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 08:55 - Jul 28 by MattinLondon

I’m not sure the fact that the UK does business is relevant here. As a consequence of that, millions of people in this country are kept in employment. Henderson, as an elite footballer doesn’t need the money l, he was already set for life. Surly moving there is just greed.

Or maybe I’m simply excusing successive governments from its dealings with that state. I don’t know.

You could argue that Henderson will be doing similar on a much smaller scale. He'll have a large entourage that he'll have employed.

Regardless, I think it's a bad move for him. His media persona has gone down the pan.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:17 - Jul 28 with 3145 viewsVaughan8

This argument of he could go over there and educate people, is absolutely nonsense.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:18 - Jul 28 with 3139 viewsMullet

He won't be the first or last to sell out his principles. It's hard to respect him, but I doubt he cares a bit. He's obviously taken the view he can set up his great grandkids with that sort of money.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:18 - Jul 28 with 3133 viewsJimmy86

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:07 - Jul 28 by cressi

Personally hope his England career
Is over a millionaire already with absolutely no morals after all his bluster

I don't know how he's ever played so much for England either tbh... Never been a fan of JH and now he's a hypocrite as well as a crap midfield clogger...
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:20 - Jul 28 with 3098 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed.

Henderson is selling out through his unnecessary Saudi retirement package. But it’s one individual cashing in on Saudi Arabia’s sportwashing.

As opposed to successive UK governments who directly support the Saudi’s anti-LGBT, misogynist and radicalised regime, and share a strategy for the region and its people. Including arming and training forces that are killing Yemeni children.

One doesn’t excuse the other but the bigger, more real picture should be the focus. The sportwashing is a relatively minor detail in all this.

Pronouns: He/Him

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:21 - Jul 28 with 3095 viewsmonkeymagic

Even if he was too thick to see the hypocrisy himself, he is surrounded by people who will have advised him and still took the money. I suspect he thinks “well I’ve done by bit already” by wearing an armband, albeit he was likely advised to do that for PR.I would be astonished if he cared one jot about the LGBQT community. Frankly, it’s probably best that footballers just concentrate on the day job, as pretending to be an advocate followed by this sort of behaviour makes people question if others support of a different or same cause also lacks integrity.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:26 - Jul 28 with 3052 viewsronnyd

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:18 - Jul 28 by Jimmy86

I don't know how he's ever played so much for England either tbh... Never been a fan of JH and now he's a hypocrite as well as a crap midfield clogger...

When he first arrived at Sunderland, both me and my son referred to him as "donkey Henderson". Must say though that as he has matured ,he has vastly improved.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:27 - Jul 28 with 3049 viewsNaylorsrightboot

Our government Bangs on about human rights in these countries and then has dealt with them in arms and the likes for years. So, why even though Henderson may have stood up for LGBT doesn't it make it right for him to still go and ply his trade out there? What is the difference really?
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:29 - Jul 28 with 3033 viewsMattinLondon

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:15 - Jul 28 by RobTheMonk

You could argue that Henderson will be doing similar on a much smaller scale. He'll have a large entourage that he'll have employed.

Regardless, I think it's a bad move for him. His media persona has gone down the pan.

I see your point.

I’m not sure whether his media persona has gone down the pan. Both Messi and Beckham were heavily criticised last year for advertising tourism in Qatar and Saudi. Now that isn’t really mentioned (I mean within the UK).

Regardless, it’s quite fascinating what is happening in Saudi. It’s leaders having realised that in order to stay in power they need to diversify the economy from oil. Purposed Decarbonisation around the world won’t do Saudi any favours. So they’re investing huge huge huge amounts in building new beach resorts, building new cities and infrastructure, glamorising its image and insisting it’s young study relevant degree courses rather than Islamic Studies.

Unfortunately it’s rare to get such long term thinking on a democracy.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:34 - Jul 28 with 2997 viewsMattinLondon

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:27 - Jul 28 by Naylorsrightboot

Our government Bangs on about human rights in these countries and then has dealt with them in arms and the likes for years. So, why even though Henderson may have stood up for LGBT doesn't it make it right for him to still go and ply his trade out there? What is the difference really?

I think that millions of people are dependent on successive governments negotiating contracts with Saudi plus there’s the oil thing. Henderson was probably only thinking about himself and his immediate family.

On some issues most people are guilty of some forms of hypocrisy but Henderson didn’t need to go.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:34 - Jul 28 with 2999 viewsMullet

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:29 - Jul 28 by MattinLondon

I see your point.

I’m not sure whether his media persona has gone down the pan. Both Messi and Beckham were heavily criticised last year for advertising tourism in Qatar and Saudi. Now that isn’t really mentioned (I mean within the UK).

Regardless, it’s quite fascinating what is happening in Saudi. It’s leaders having realised that in order to stay in power they need to diversify the economy from oil. Purposed Decarbonisation around the world won’t do Saudi any favours. So they’re investing huge huge huge amounts in building new beach resorts, building new cities and infrastructure, glamorising its image and insisting it’s young study relevant degree courses rather than Islamic Studies.

Unfortunately it’s rare to get such long term thinking on a democracy.

Messi et al. are on a different level in terms of media and market. There are so many armchairs around the world who have no real clue beyond the star power factor. Messi could do most things and still have a market I suspect.

Henderson doesn't have that, nor does he need it I suspect. Ironically being made out to be a massive superstar might open him up to that large and rather clueless market though!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:35 - Jul 28 with 2988 viewsMattinLondon

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:34 - Jul 28 by Mullet

Messi et al. are on a different level in terms of media and market. There are so many armchairs around the world who have no real clue beyond the star power factor. Messi could do most things and still have a market I suspect.

Henderson doesn't have that, nor does he need it I suspect. Ironically being made out to be a massive superstar might open him up to that large and rather clueless market though!

Apologies - I meant within the UK market. Beckham especially was criticised but that seems to have been forgotten about - in this country.
The old "Gary Neville excuse" eh? Nah. (n/t) on 09:36 - Jul 28 with 2986 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:43 - Jul 28 with 2931 viewsNaylorsrightboot

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:34 - Jul 28 by MattinLondon

I think that millions of people are dependent on successive governments negotiating contracts with Saudi plus there’s the oil thing. Henderson was probably only thinking about himself and his immediate family.

On some issues most people are guilty of some forms of hypocrisy but Henderson didn’t need to go.

Not many people going to turn that money down. Same as our government not refusing Saudi money for arms and us wanting their oil. The whole world are hypocrites in some way. I don't see why Henderson should worry to much.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:50 - Jul 28 with 2877 viewsMattinLondon

Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:43 - Jul 28 by Naylorsrightboot

Not many people going to turn that money down. Same as our government not refusing Saudi money for arms and us wanting their oil. The whole world are hypocrites in some way. I don't see why Henderson should worry to much.

I very much doubt that he’s that bothered - some LGBT football fans will probably feel let down but that’s a matter for his conscience alone.
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:53 - Jul 28 with 2865 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

He was clearly scraping a living at Liverpool…

It’s insane they want to pay such a limited footballer that kind of money. OPEC will need to put the price of crude up just to cover his signing on fee!
Jordan Henderson: LGBT Crusader. on 09:53 - Jul 28 with 2852 viewsDJR

Don't forget Saudi involvement (with British and US arms and backing) in the war in Yemen which, according to the UN, had killed 377,000 people by the end of 2021, and caused a humanitarian disaster.

https://www.wfp.org/emergencies/yemen-emergency

Not surprisingly you don't hear much about the war in the British media, but I suppose those British arms aren't just going to sell themselves.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-british-weapons-arms-sales-sa
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 10:03]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024