Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well Played Mr Burns 13:26 - Aug 14 with 4224 viewsSheffordBlue

Over the summer Burns seemed like one of the 'starters' who we might look at upgrading. He had another great season last time round but if you picking one of the starting 11 to upgrade then maybe his position was one we'd look at. He's not always been great at beating his man from a standing start and his strengths are running onto a ball in space where he can accelerate before he reaches the ball. If the last two games are in anyway representative of the type of teams we'll face then he could do really well.

In 2 games he's completed 9 open play passes into the penalty area. Morsy and Chaplin are joint 2nd with 2 each. He's also completed 4 crosses in to the penalty area with no one else registering one.

He's attempted 5 take-ons, completing three of them with only Broadhead bettering this so far.

For progressive carries* he's currently on 7 with Davis second on 4. For carries into the penalty area he's also leading the stats on 4.

For Shots on Target he's joint first and I'm sure his goal won't be far behind. Joint top for assists.

It's a very small sample size but encouraging from someone where there were concerns that he might have reached his level.

All stats from WhoScored.com.

* - Carries that move the ball towards the opponent's goal line at least 10 yards from its furthest point in the last six passes, or any carry into the penalty area. Excludes carries which end in the defending 50% of the pitch)

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Well Played Mr Burns on 13:33 - Aug 14 with 3171 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

He has a weird number of detractors on here. Second only to Leif in assists, and some goals in big games last season. I can only assume it’s because on his day he’s unplayable, so difficult to turn out those performances week in week out.

I know he’s not really played much at this level before, but Jamie Vardy and half the Luton team have worked their way up the leagues - no reason that Wes can’t do the same.
Well Played Mr Burns on 13:38 - Aug 14 with 3136 viewsSaleAway

Well Played Mr Burns on 13:33 - Aug 14 by SuperKieranMcKenna

He has a weird number of detractors on here. Second only to Leif in assists, and some goals in big games last season. I can only assume it’s because on his day he’s unplayable, so difficult to turn out those performances week in week out.

I know he’s not really played much at this level before, but Jamie Vardy and half the Luton team have worked their way up the leagues - no reason that Wes can’t do the same.

I think he has more detractors ( is that someone who has had the Ipswich knocked out of them? ;-) ) because he does have the comedy shank in his locker... for a pro footballer, he is far more prone to lashing a cross straight into row z behind the goal than most others I've seen. When he's not doing that though, he's mighty impressive, its just that his bad moments are almost comically bad, so people remember them.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Well Played Mr Burns on 13:39 - Aug 14 with 3132 viewsDyland

Aye he had an excellent game innit. I posted elsewhere that if oppo start doubling up on him like they did last season, it will leave more space for Chappers. So we’ll still be a constant threat when attacking. Looking good, but early days of course and still feel we need some quality cover/rotation options.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Well Played Mr Burns on 13:42 - Aug 14 with 3116 viewsDyland

Well Played Mr Burns on 13:38 - Aug 14 by SaleAway

I think he has more detractors ( is that someone who has had the Ipswich knocked out of them? ;-) ) because he does have the comedy shank in his locker... for a pro footballer, he is far more prone to lashing a cross straight into row z behind the goal than most others I've seen. When he's not doing that though, he's mighty impressive, its just that his bad moments are almost comically bad, so people remember them.

“… for a pro footballer, he is far more prone to lashing a cross straight into row z behind the goal than most others I've seen“

A bit hyperbolic imo. He hardly does a comedic shank in every game innit?!

This feels like a good opportunity to once again remember Larsen Toures corner.

Well Played Mr Burns on 13:45 - Aug 14 with 3093 viewsStu_Magoo

Think it just comes with the territory. Burns was playing in League 1 last year, if he could get every cross onto a sixpence - in conjunction with his other talents - he'd be a Prem player.

I try to remember that about most of our players tbf. Has helped me be a little more forgiving when watching!
Well Played Mr Burns on 14:00 - Aug 14 with 2943 viewsDeano69

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Well Played Mr Burns on 14:06 - Aug 14 with 2905 viewsBiGDonnie

Ol Frimbot not liking him is probably the best compliment he could get.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Well Played Mr Burns on 14:48 - Aug 14 with 2788 viewsBlueBadger

He also has a number of weird detractors...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Well Played Mr Burns on 14:50 - Aug 14 with 2771 viewsBlueschev

It's the pony tail, def info.
Well Played Mr Burns on 15:02 - Aug 14 with 2704 viewsjp_itfc

Burns pace gives us a real threat on the counter as does Jackson. McKenna has introduced these players into a system where there pace and directness are highlighted.

QPR will be a different kettle of fish and will be a case of creating overloads on the right-hand side that we saw so much of last season.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 15:02]
Well Played Mr Burns on 15:32 - Aug 14 with 2585 viewsKropotkin123

The de prefix commonly indicates away from/reduced. So a detractor is a town fan that is lesser in some capacity. So a part-time Town fan, a fair-weather Town fan or a Town fan lacking expected knowledge?*

*Not aimed at people, just having fun with the concept raised.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Well Played Mr Burns on 15:47 - Aug 14 with 2521 viewsThatMuhrenCross

I think the problem some see with Burns is that for every decent cross he puts in, there's another one or two that go AWOL.

Aside from that, he's got a lot of brilliant attributes. I think if you combined all Burns' best attributes with a better end product, he'd have been a Premier League player for a number of years by now - not one we'd signed from Fleetwood for £500k and playing his first full Championship season at the age of 28/29.

So yes, he may well be one we upgrade in the next couple of seasons, but actually he's done very well for us and been a good servant to the club. That should be recognised, respected and applauded.

Glad to see him getting his chance at this level.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Well Played Mr Burns on 15:59 - Aug 14 with 2487 viewsReusersTown

I wouldn't call myself a detractor and have no problem with Burns. But I do think we can upgrade and there were multiple instances on Saturday of why. Where his touch or decision making let him down and it felt like we really would have been on the cusp of creating a few guilt edge chance if a better player had been there.
Well Played Mr Burns on 16:14 - Aug 14 with 2417 viewsJDB23

Listening to the NTT20 pod and they mention he so far has the most open play key passes in the division. Good to see him stepping up and long may it continue., hopefully he rockets one in the top corner in the next few games.
Well Played Mr Burns on 20:49 - Aug 14 with 2167 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 15:59 - Aug 14 by ReusersTown

I wouldn't call myself a detractor and have no problem with Burns. But I do think we can upgrade and there were multiple instances on Saturday of why. Where his touch or decision making let him down and it felt like we really would have been on the cusp of creating a few guilt edge chance if a better player had been there.

For me Burns does the easy things badly but the harder things well it's a massive frustration.

Catching up on Stoke game after his opening one.. crosses going awol. An opportunity to play broadhead in with ease but blasted over instead etc.

So frustrating yet good at the same time.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Well Played Mr Burns on 20:59 - Aug 14 with 2143 viewsSheffordBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 20:49 - Aug 14 by FrimleyBlue

For me Burns does the easy things badly but the harder things well it's a massive frustration.

Catching up on Stoke game after his opening one.. crosses going awol. An opportunity to play broadhead in with ease but blasted over instead etc.

When was the shot he blasted over - I only remember him having two and both were saved. I thought he was superb against Stoke and none of our players make the right decisions all the time - it's the nature of the chaos of a football match.

His stats from the game:

2 shots - both on target and both saved
11 shot creating actions - 3 more than anyone
80.8% pass completion rate - 3rd only to Luongo and Broadhead

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:04 - Aug 14 with 2115 viewsjayessess

Well Played Mr Burns on 13:42 - Aug 14 by Dyland

“… for a pro footballer, he is far more prone to lashing a cross straight into row z behind the goal than most others I've seen“

A bit hyperbolic imo. He hardly does a comedic shank in every game innit?!

This feels like a good opportunity to once again remember Larsen Toures corner.

Just like all strikers miss good chances, all wingers shank crosses into the stands. In general in professional football, fewer than 1 in 4 crosses connects with a team mate.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:06 - Aug 14 with 2102 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 20:59 - Aug 14 by SheffordBlue

When was the shot he blasted over - I only remember him having two and both were saved. I thought he was superb against Stoke and none of our players make the right decisions all the time - it's the nature of the chaos of a football match.

His stats from the game:

As shown in the thread I'm not alone I'm not alone in certain thoughts about Burns. And yes he had a good game. Many did. I still think we can do better however. But each to their own. I won't change my mind on him.

And regarding the shots.. i didn't realise the keeper palmed the ball over from the long ranger. Good stop. And good shot.. but easier option was to play broadhead in.. that's my point about doing the Easy things badly but the harder things well.

Waka waka eh eh

Nirvana fallacy on 21:07 - Aug 14 with 2103 viewsDyland

If the bloke scored or created a great chance with every final ball he'd be at Barcelona or somewhere.

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:08 - Aug 14 with 2102 viewsStokieBlue

He's literally made the most in-play effective passes in the division according to Not The Top 20 podcast.

We've been over this before, you expect him and other to be perfect, for every pass to be spot on. It's just not going to happen and this level.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:09 - Aug 14 with 2094 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Well Played Mr Burns on 20:59 - Aug 14 by SheffordBlue

His stats from the game:

He doesn’t do facts, his sole raison d'etre is to spew out over 200 brain f@rts a day.

Third highest assists in the league last year, and he described him as ‘whack a ball’.
Well Played Mr Burns on 21:12 - Aug 14 with 2086 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:08 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

He's literally made the most in-play effective passes in the division according to Not The Top 20 podcast.

We've been over this before, you expect him and other to be perfect, for every pass to be spot on. It's just not going to happen and this level.

SB

Clearly not just me based on the some of the replies. But good for you to picking mine out only tho. Shock horror

Waka waka eh eh

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:12 - Aug 14 with 2083 viewsSheffordBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:06 - Aug 14 by FrimleyBlue

As shown in the thread I'm not alone I'm not alone in certain thoughts about Burns. And yes he had a good game. Many did. I still think we can do better however. But each to their own. I won't change my mind on him.

And regarding the shots.. i didn't realise the keeper palmed the ball over from the long ranger. Good stop. And good shot.. but easier option was to play broadhead in.. that's my point about doing the Easy things badly but the harder things well.

"I won't change my mind on him" says an awful lot here. So it doesn't matter what he does - goals, assists, shot creating actions - he's still doomed in your mind!

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:17 - Aug 14 with 2057 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:12 - Aug 14 by SheffordBlue

"I won't change my mind on him" says an awful lot here. So it doesn't matter what he does - goals, assists, shot creating actions - he's still doomed in your mind!

Well if you want to be specific then of course if he suddenly out of nowhere did the simple things consistently well then yes of course. But it's been a couple seasons now so I can't see it happening.

What I'm saying is I'm not going to blindly love him and not think we can do better when I personally think we can. End of day KM will decide that won't he. So we just get on and support whoever is in the side.

Jackson never let KM down. Doesn't stop people not liking him.

Waka waka eh eh

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:19 - Aug 14 with 2043 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:09 - Aug 14 by SuperKieranMcKenna

He doesn’t do facts, his sole raison d'etre is to spew out over 200 brain f@rts a day.

Third highest assists in the league last year, and he described him as ‘whack a ball’.

Bless.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024