Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cobbold Stand redevelopment 12:30 - Oct 6 with 4974 viewsIllinoisblue

When the time comes, from a health and safety perspective, is there any way half the stand could be demolished but still, with some modifications, keep the other half open and usable? Insticnt says no and that you’d never get a safety certificate for it. But if Gillingham’s away end is built on Lego and Meccano, maybe there is a way.

Fascinating to see what happens. Cutting capacity when demand for tickets has never been higher is madness but doesn’t seem an obvious solution.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:34 - Oct 6 with 3574 viewsLord_Lucan

The original one was built in about 3 days.

These days, what with all the clipboard people and lazy bastards it will probably be done as quick as HS2

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:40 - Oct 6 with 3535 viewsFtnfwest

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:34 - Oct 6 by Lord_Lucan

The original one was built in about 3 days.

These days, what with all the clipboard people and lazy bastards it will probably be done as quick as HS2

seem to remember the added wings to the current portman/cobbold stand took longer than the original construction? Anything new will be much bigger and have all sorts of facilities under it that will take ages tbf. Plus there's all the roadway implications etc
Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:40 - Oct 6 with 3523 viewsFrimleyBlue

I wondered if the outershell of a new stand could begin behind the current one.

Starting across the road...

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:46 - Oct 6 with 3490 viewsKieran_Knows

Given that the new stand will more than likely be bigger, I imagine they could start the work to the outer part of the stadium around the Cobbold as it is. I think Liverpool done something similar a few years ago (might not be Liverpool, but it was definitely someone).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:48 - Oct 6 with 3476 viewsitfcjoe

Portman Road is now shut to traffic in that part of it - I wonder if we can effectively build large parts of the new stand behind the existing and then over a summer period knock down the old and finish the new - would still be reduced for some games but much less

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:50 - Oct 6 with 3439 viewsSitfcB

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:46 - Oct 6 by Kieran_Knows

Given that the new stand will more than likely be bigger, I imagine they could start the work to the outer part of the stadium around the Cobbold as it is. I think Liverpool done something similar a few years ago (might not be Liverpool, but it was definitely someone).

Yeah Liverpool have done it with both of their new stands.

Tottenham built a lot of the new stadium around WHL as well.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:51 - Oct 6 with 3441 viewsBluePG

‘Only’ selling 21,000 season tickets would mean no ST holder would be affected if we only had three stands open for any part of any given season also.

Poll: Best Dane?

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:52 - Oct 6 with 3423 viewsSitfcB

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:51 - Oct 6 by BluePG

‘Only’ selling 21,000 season tickets would mean no ST holder would be affected if we only had three stands open for any part of any given season also.

Hmm that’s a good point. Maybe there was some thought in that!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:54 - Oct 6 with 3404 viewsBobbychase

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:48 - Oct 6 by itfcjoe

Portman Road is now shut to traffic in that part of it - I wonder if we can effectively build large parts of the new stand behind the existing and then over a summer period knock down the old and finish the new - would still be reduced for some games but much less

Anfield Road stand at Liverpool is a decent example, they're adding a second tier with much of the stand still open.

But only way I could see us doing this is keeping the lower blocks open then building above that (as in, keeping the seats below the exec boxes) but would depend what the club's ambitions are. You'd imagine they want to make the new Cobbold the focus of the stadium rather than do a half-and-half job

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:54 - Oct 6 with 3404 viewstextbackup

Roof off, big old structure starting across the road, one large uppa tier open whilst they demolish the rest of existing, and build lower tier.

Few trips to the dump mid week getting rid of the rubbish. Be done in a month

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:00 - Oct 6 with 3368 viewstextbackup

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:51 - Oct 6 by BluePG

I did wonder if those moving to the singing section had properly considered their move.
Because if/when that stand goes, they’ll likely end up split up for a fair few games if the build drags on

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:09 - Oct 6 with 3278 viewsIllinoisblue

The other question is what to do with away fans. A much reduced allocation will be controversial if we go up (and even if we stay down). Massive logistical challenge to get it right re timing and trying to keep fans happy.

62 - 78 - 81

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:10 - Oct 6 with 3269 viewsgrow_our_own

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 12:54 - Oct 6 by Bobbychase

Anfield Road stand at Liverpool is a decent example, they're adding a second tier with much of the stand still open.

But only way I could see us doing this is keeping the lower blocks open then building above that (as in, keeping the seats below the exec boxes) but would depend what the club's ambitions are. You'd imagine they want to make the new Cobbold the focus of the stadium rather than do a half-and-half job

"only way I could see us doing this is keeping the lower blocks open then building above" - this is a good way to skirt around the stupid FIFA regulation that forces new stands to leave at least four metres of dead-space between touchline and stand. Proximity is crucial in stadium design. It's not a new stand, it's just an extension, honest gov.
Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:11 - Oct 6 with 3251 viewsFrimleyBlue

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:00 - Oct 6 by textbackup

I did wonder if those moving to the singing section had properly considered their move.
Because if/when that stand goes, they’ll likely end up split up for a fair few games if the build drags on

Get the community together take turns with dump runs. Get it done quicker.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:13 - Oct 6 with 3232 viewsburnbudgiesburn

We did similar with the Pioneer stand. My very first game v Liverpool took place against a backdrop west stand looking ever so slightly like an unfinished death star

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:15 - Oct 6 with 3211 viewsnodge_blue

That's what they've done at the Anfield road stand. Built over the top / behind the existing stand and kept it open during the building process.

I guess anything is possible but the design would have to factor that in of course, plus isn't the existing part of the stand a bit too tight and old. Boxes aren't really at an ideal height.

As an aside I think the seats in general throughout the ground are too tightly packed in and not enough leg room.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:18 - Oct 6 with 3183 viewsblueprint

If they could utilise the corner between the SAR and Cobbold and still retain the access put in last season then maybe they could put in around 1000 seats there before demolishing and reconstructing the Cobbold from the SBR end. Obviously they would also need to remove the cladding and screening in the Cobbold upper tier.
Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:19 - Oct 6 with 3179 viewsElderGrizzly

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:09 - Oct 6 by Illinoisblue

The other question is what to do with away fans. A much reduced allocation will be controversial if we go up (and even if we stay down). Massive logistical challenge to get it right re timing and trying to keep fans happy.

From a purely financial perspective, you do it when you are in the PL.

Turnstile income will be dwarfed by TV income, so we could live without it for a period but you will have no way not to upset some fans.
Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:19 - Oct 6 with 3183 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Speaking of all things 'stadia' - amazing that the ground in the top image hosted Barca, Real Madrid, Lazio etc and the one in the bottom hosted Forest Green rovers.

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:21 - Oct 6 with 3157 viewsIllinoisblue

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:13 - Oct 6 by burnbudgiesburn

We did similar with the Pioneer stand. My very first game v Liverpool took place against a backdrop west stand looking ever so slightly like an unfinished death star

Love those old pics

62 - 78 - 81

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:21 - Oct 6 with 3150 viewsPinewoodblue

Seem to remember, years ago, Charlton increased the capacity of West Stand, to the left of away end. Stand was still in use and roofless.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:29 - Oct 6 with 3097 viewsDeano69

The Cobblold Boxes are not a great viewing experience so suspect they would have to go.

I think any development would include significant Hospitality changes including suites/boxes/conference rooms etc as they are maxed out every game.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:41 - Oct 6 with 3034 viewsIllinoisblue

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:19 - Oct 6 by burnbudgiesburn

Speaking of all things 'stadia' - amazing that the ground in the top image hosted Barca, Real Madrid, Lazio etc and the one in the bottom hosted Forest Green rovers.

That is a great then and now.

62 - 78 - 81

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:45 - Oct 6 with 3008 viewsIllinoisblue

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:11 - Oct 6 by FrimleyBlue

Get the community together take turns with dump runs. Get it done quicker.

Get rhe Blie Action boys decked out in high-viz and they can drum their way to and from the dump. Bit of pyro along the way, job’s a good un

62 - 78 - 81

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:46 - Oct 6 with 2985 viewsBobbychase

Cobbold Stand redevelopment on 13:29 - Oct 6 by Deano69

The Cobblold Boxes are not a great viewing experience so suspect they would have to go.

I think any development would include significant Hospitality changes including suites/boxes/conference rooms etc as they are maxed out every game.

Yep. No way they'd keep those

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024