Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aphantasia 00:21 - Oct 11 with 3682 viewshatch

Or the inability to picture/visualise anything. Recently discovered my wife has it (not something you actually talk about much to realise it). Apparently 1-5% of people have this which should mean statistically a good few on here.

Anyone heard of it before? I find it baffling, the idea that she can’t picture my face or her family’s faces or our wedding day or our front door etc.

She knows that an apple is green/red and has a stem etc but she can’t visualise it.
Aphantasia on 11:10 - Oct 11 with 1211 viewsMookamoo

Aphantasia on 11:03 - Oct 11 by Ewan_Oozami

I'm between 1 and 2, in fact my whole remembering stuff is based around using image representation and I think visual artists/graphic designers, sculptors, etc, must be around 1 to do what they do - I'd imagine someone like Hoppy would be around 1?

I'm a designer an I'm a 1. Have to remember not to get frustrated with clients that constantly want to see alternatives, especially in different colours. For example, when they ask to see it in red, they can't just look at the one I've produced in blue and imagine it red like I can.

Most of what I do is recreating what is in my head using software. The sooner someone invents a brain implant that works with Adobe products the better.
Aphantasia on 11:46 - Oct 11 with 1175 viewsDarkBrandon

I have it too. I’ve wondered if it is one reason why I am a terrible artist
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 11:47]
Aphantasia on 11:49 - Oct 11 with 1171 viewsblueasfook

They were great raves back in the day [that smiley with the googly face]

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Aphantasia on 11:52 - Oct 11 with 1163 viewsfarkenhell

Aphantasia on 09:38 - Oct 11 by _clive_baker_

I'm a 5. I certainly don't see an image.

Probably explains why I could never 'count sheep' to try and get to sleep. I couldn't see the feckers. Starts to make more sense now.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 9:40]

Bloody hell, I'm a 5 as well. Ditto the sheep thing.

Don't know whether it's relevant, but I know that I visualise things whilst dreaming. I don't remember many dreams (contrast with Mrs F, who is able to recall her dreams regularly and in minute detail), but from the few that I do remember, I know that I picture people, objects etc. That said, if I wake up and recall what I dreamt about, then close my eyes, I can't visualise the people and objects, I just know that I saw them in my dream - if that makes sense.

Perhaps I'm just weird!

Edit - same with the reading. A-Level English turned out to be a complete chore.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 12:06]
Aphantasia on 12:00 - Oct 11 with 1151 viewshatch

Aphantasia on 09:54 - Oct 11 by _clive_baker_

Yes, first I've ever known of it, thanks for sharing. I've just done a bit of reading up about it and certainly seem to hit the traits. I've never been one for reading fiction, which is put down to not being able to vividly imagine what I'm reading, thus losing interest. That's true of me.

I've done some IQ tests in the past and scored really highly, it's just how my brain works which lends itself to those tests. Seems to be a thing with Aphantasia peeps scoring higher.

I'm exactly the same as your wife. It's almost like I have a collection of thoughts rather than a full blown image. Even someone as familiar to me as my father, I can describe him of course and recognise him, but I can't close my eyes and see a full blown image. It's like my mind doesn't let me, as much as it tries.

Fascinating me still that people don’t know they have it yet quite a few on here do, many discovering for the first time.

The mournful point is interesting, I’ll discuss that with my wife. Once she’s done trying to muster her w@nk bank memory…
Aphantasia on 12:07 - Oct 11 with 1142 viewsVegtablue

Genuinely it was April Fool's Day when I was first introduced to aphantasia; one of the most absurd hoaxes I'd ever come across. People conjuring apples in a "mind's eye", fitted in sometime between harnessing the Force and popping down to Diagon Alley to see if Ron fancies a game of exploding snap.

'Visualize', 'picture the scene', abstract activities we've all been participating in since kindergarten. You close your eyes and think carefully about what the teacher wants you to pretend to see. Sounds weird right but we've indulged this behaviour for centuries. Periodically you open them to check that your classmates are committing to this cerebral exercise with similar gusto, and afterwards you appreciate your experience for how worthwhile it surely was. Don't just learn the translation of those 1000 Spanish words, spend plenty more time contenting yourself that you wouldn't confuse your 'bombero' and 'plomero' in an emergency situation. Visual memory is an extra arrow in the quiver, after all.

I was in my early 20s when I discovered I'd been short-changed here lol. A few historic conversations suddenly made a lot more sense! I did have to make the point to some people: I may be restricted to describing you in less detail than a Guess Who character but that doesn't mean I wouldn't pick you out in a line-up. This wasn't the green light for people to stay silent on the bus and trust I won't recognize them. I'm pretty confident I dream in SD, FWIW, but awake time varies from black to orange depending on how much light is directed at my eyelids.
Aphantasia on 12:14 - Oct 11 with 1134 viewshatch

One very interesting point I forgot to add, and I’m not sure if this is the case for all who have aphantasia, but my wife is also a super recogniser.

Not by trade, but if you showed her a face and then a crowd of people walked past she would instantly be able to spot them.

Which I find fascinating given she can’t visualise their face!
Aphantasia on 12:15 - Oct 11 with 1130 viewsfarkenhell

Aphantasia on 12:07 - Oct 11 by Vegtablue

Genuinely it was April Fool's Day when I was first introduced to aphantasia; one of the most absurd hoaxes I'd ever come across. People conjuring apples in a "mind's eye", fitted in sometime between harnessing the Force and popping down to Diagon Alley to see if Ron fancies a game of exploding snap.

'Visualize', 'picture the scene', abstract activities we've all been participating in since kindergarten. You close your eyes and think carefully about what the teacher wants you to pretend to see. Sounds weird right but we've indulged this behaviour for centuries. Periodically you open them to check that your classmates are committing to this cerebral exercise with similar gusto, and afterwards you appreciate your experience for how worthwhile it surely was. Don't just learn the translation of those 1000 Spanish words, spend plenty more time contenting yourself that you wouldn't confuse your 'bombero' and 'plomero' in an emergency situation. Visual memory is an extra arrow in the quiver, after all.

I was in my early 20s when I discovered I'd been short-changed here lol. A few historic conversations suddenly made a lot more sense! I did have to make the point to some people: I may be restricted to describing you in less detail than a Guess Who character but that doesn't mean I wouldn't pick you out in a line-up. This wasn't the green light for people to stay silent on the bus and trust I won't recognize them. I'm pretty confident I dream in SD, FWIW, but awake time varies from black to orange depending on how much light is directed at my eyelids.

So what number are you then?
Login to get fewer ads

Aphantasia on 12:21 - Oct 11 with 1104 viewsVegtablue

Aphantasia on 12:15 - Oct 11 by farkenhell

So what number are you then?

I'm a 5 unless you want me to visualize a black screen, and then I become a 1.
Aphantasia on 12:53 - Oct 11 with 1065 viewsHerbivore

Aphantasia on 12:21 - Oct 11 by Vegtablue

I'm a 5 unless you want me to visualize a black screen, and then I become a 1.

Must play havoc with your w@nk bank.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Aphantasia on 13:46 - Oct 11 with 1031 viewsVegtablue

Aphantasia on 12:53 - Oct 11 by Herbivore

You're not wrong 😂
Aphantasia on 13:52 - Oct 11 with 1032 viewsblueasfook

Aphantasia on 12:53 - Oct 11 by Herbivore

You diid the w@nk bank joke earlier Herbs. Don't overdo it. Will lose its comedy value

Downvote incoming...

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Aphantasia on 14:09 - Oct 11 with 1016 viewsEwan_Oozami

Aphantasia on 11:04 - Oct 11 by DanTheMan

Interestingly it's actually the opposite.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47830256

For those who can see, I can only do it for a moment. Basically like a camera flash is how I think of it, I can't keep the picture in my mind. Does anybody else have that issue?
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 11:10]

Oh wow, that is interesting!

When I visualise something, I can see for as long as I need to, it's not like it's just a snapshot - and I can bring it back anytime I want. For example, if I'm giving directions to someone, I can visualise the route and then I describe what I see!

I was also thinking is there a link between aphantasia and face blindness - again, apparently not!

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/03010066231180712

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Aphantasia on 14:13 - Oct 11 with 1009 viewsEwan_Oozami

Aphantasia on 13:52 - Oct 11 by blueasfook

You diid the w@nk bank joke earlier Herbs. Don't overdo it. Will lose its comedy value

Downvote incoming...

He'll go blind if he's not careful.....

Aphantasia on 14:14 - Oct 11 with 1006 viewsEwan_Oozami

Do aphantasia sufferers ever have deja vu ?

Aphantasia on 14:53 - Oct 11 with 978 viewsVegtablue

Aphantasia on 14:14 - Oct 11 by Ewan_Oozami

Do aphantasia sufferers ever have deja vu ?

I have feelings of deja vu, sure. It's probably less strong though because it lacks the visual impact.

I'm not a super recognizer, unlike Hatch's wife. Below average recognizing powers I've been told. Personally I think there are more of us than 2-5% but many people trip up over the difference between seeing and knowing.
Aphantasia on 15:32 - Oct 11 with 960 viewsHerbivore

Aphantasia on 13:52 - Oct 11 by blueasfook

Downvote incoming...

Mate, I'm not going to take tips on comedy from you thanks.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Aphantasia on 15:55 - Oct 11 with 951 viewsRadioOrwell

Aphantasia on 09:45 - Oct 11 by unbelievablue

I actually refuse to believe anyone is a 1.

I'm a 1.

What I did read about recently is internal monologue.
Some people don't have it.
Now that's weird.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 15:59]
Aphantasia on 16:04 - Oct 11 with 938 viewsEwan_Oozami

Aphantasia on 15:55 - Oct 11 by RadioOrwell

I'm a 1.

What I did read about recently is internal monologue.
Some people don't have it.
Now that's weird.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 15:59]

I have an internal dialogue - I'm arguing with myself in my head all the time...it's like being Zaphod Beeblebrox.....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024