Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? 19:54 - Nov 2 with 261892 viewsnoggin

Yeah but Owen Jones...
[Post edited 3 Nov 2023 9:05]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:47 - Nov 5 with 3939 viewsBuhrer

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:34 - Nov 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

All of them!

Benjamin Netanyahu has sought on social media to distance himself from comments by a minister in his government that dropping a nuclear bomb on Gaza is “one of the possibilities” and that the Palestinian population can “go to Ireland or deserts”.

Heritage minister Amichai Eliyahu of the Otzma Yehudit party is quoted by the Times of Israel as saying in an interview with Radio Kol Berama that the Palestinian people “can go to Ireland or deserts, the monsters in Gaza should find a solution by themselves,” adding that those who wave a Palestinian or Hamas flag “shouldn’t continue living on the face of the earth.”

It quotes him saying that dropping a nuclear bomb on the Gaza Strip “is one of the possibilities”, and that humanitarian aid to the population should be restricted, saying “we wouldn’t hand the Nazis humanitarian aid. There is no such thing as uninvolved civilians in Gaza.”

Israel seems resolute that the blood-dimmed tide Hamas unleashed on October 7th will now be consumed, root, branch and all. The world slouches onwards and who or what will stop these horrors?
How many Israeli and Palestinian lives must be cut short ? on 10:01 - Nov 5 with 3871 viewsWeWereZombies

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:47 - Nov 5 by Buhrer

Israel seems resolute that the blood-dimmed tide Hamas unleashed on October 7th will now be consumed, root, branch and all. The world slouches onwards and who or what will stop these horrors?

The horrors will not stop, even supposedly calm and prosperous Sweden in teh nineteen eighties saw the assassination of Olof Palme and World's biggest sovereign wealth fund Norway suffered Anders Brevik, but we can at least contain them and it is up to responsible administrations to minimise the conditions that lead to terrorism and the tragic level of support that Hamas now enjoys in Gaza.

In my the opinion the Netanyahu administration does not fulfil the role of a responsible administration and was inadequate long before the 7th of October. A state that does not care for all its people is a state in a state of disrepair. Perhaps, when we hear a Home Secretary outlining plans to stop the homeless living in tents we need to question ourselves too, are we on the same slippery slope ?

Edit: Thread title changed.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 10:05]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:07 - Nov 5 with 3866 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

How many Israeli and Palestinian lives must be cut short ? on 10:01 - Nov 5 by WeWereZombies

The horrors will not stop, even supposedly calm and prosperous Sweden in teh nineteen eighties saw the assassination of Olof Palme and World's biggest sovereign wealth fund Norway suffered Anders Brevik, but we can at least contain them and it is up to responsible administrations to minimise the conditions that lead to terrorism and the tragic level of support that Hamas now enjoys in Gaza.

In my the opinion the Netanyahu administration does not fulfil the role of a responsible administration and was inadequate long before the 7th of October. A state that does not care for all its people is a state in a state of disrepair. Perhaps, when we hear a Home Secretary outlining plans to stop the homeless living in tents we need to question ourselves too, are we on the same slippery slope ?

Edit: Thread title changed.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 10:05]

Do you think the horrors of the massacre on 7th of October will ultimately lead to the downfall of Netanyahu and his Govt?

When the dust settles on this awful conflict, serious questions will need to be asked in regards to Israel’s security failures on that day. I saw one report that both Egypt and USA (the latter reporting back to Israel) had some awareness of the Hamas plans. Reportedly Netanyahu and/or the government ignored the warning.

At least in a business sense, with the iron dome and strong military, Israel is seen as a relatively low risk territory - these failures were beyond negligent.
How many more Palestinian and Israeli lives will be cut short ? on 10:30 - Nov 5 with 3826 viewsWeWereZombies

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:07 - Nov 5 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Do you think the horrors of the massacre on 7th of October will ultimately lead to the downfall of Netanyahu and his Govt?

When the dust settles on this awful conflict, serious questions will need to be asked in regards to Israel’s security failures on that day. I saw one report that both Egypt and USA (the latter reporting back to Israel) had some awareness of the Hamas plans. Reportedly Netanyahu and/or the government ignored the warning.

At least in a business sense, with the iron dome and strong military, Israel is seen as a relatively low risk territory - these failures were beyond negligent.

Sadly, I expect Netanyahu or a similar authoritarian figure will remain in charge of the Israeli administration but I don't know enough to back that up. My reasoning is driven by the lack of land available for newly arrived settlers being a driver for expansionist aims that are best served by legislation heavy justice systems coupled with diplomacy that works at executive levels mainly thus never fully facing up to the basic needs of the untitled humans who comprise the mass of the population.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 0:53]

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:54 - Nov 5 with 3778 viewsleitrimblue

All of them!

Benjamin Netanyahu has sought on social media to distance himself from comments by a minister in his government that dropping a nuclear bomb on Gaza is “one of the possibilities” and that the Palestinian population can “go to Ireland or deserts”.

Heritage minister Amichai Eliyahu of the Otzma Yehudit party is quoted by the Times of Israel as saying in an interview with Radio Kol Berama that the Palestinian people “can go to Ireland or deserts, the monsters in Gaza should find a solution by themselves,” adding that those who wave a Palestinian or Hamas flag “shouldn’t continue living on the face of the earth.”

It quotes him saying that dropping a nuclear bomb on the Gaza Strip “is one of the possibilities”, and that humanitarian aid to the population should be restricted, saying “we wouldn’t hand the Nazis humanitarian aid. There is no such thing as uninvolved civilians in Gaza.”

At last a bit of honesty from an Israeli official. This is no longer about defending themselves it's about genocide and revenge. How many Palestinian lives is sufficient?
All of them!
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:09 - Nov 5 with 3750 viewsDarth_Koont

All of them!

I read somewhere that the number of civilian deaths (and in Gaza that’s predominantly children and women) has now gone past the total for the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

But in 4 weeks compared to nearly 2 years!!

Netanyahu’s talk of Amalek (an Israeli far-right reference to wiping out everyone and everything) and talk here of Palestinians not continuing to live on the face of the earth if they so much as wave a Palestinian flag is not just rhetoric as evil and dangerous as that would be.

If it talks like genocide and now walks like genocide then it’s time to call it out for what it is. It’s only “the right to self-defence” in the same biblical and barbaric terms.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 12:12]

Pronouns: He/Him

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:39 - Nov 5 with 3704 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:09 - Nov 5 by Darth_Koont

I read somewhere that the number of civilian deaths (and in Gaza that’s predominantly children and women) has now gone past the total for the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

But in 4 weeks compared to nearly 2 years!!

Netanyahu’s talk of Amalek (an Israeli far-right reference to wiping out everyone and everything) and talk here of Palestinians not continuing to live on the face of the earth if they so much as wave a Palestinian flag is not just rhetoric as evil and dangerous as that would be.

If it talks like genocide and now walks like genocide then it’s time to call it out for what it is. It’s only “the right to self-defence” in the same biblical and barbaric terms.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 12:12]

The following (which I posted about a week ago) brings home the point you make at the beginning of your post.

3,195 Children Killed in Three Weeks Surpasses Annual Number of Children Killed in Conflict Zones since 2019

https://www.savethechildren.org/us/about-us/media-and-news/2023-press-releases/g since 2019

EDIT: the figure for child deaths is now 4,008 but this won't include scores presumably trapped under buildings.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 14:31]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:42 - Nov 6 with 3550 viewsDarth_Koont

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:39 - Nov 5 by DJR

The following (which I posted about a week ago) brings home the point you make at the beginning of your post.

3,195 Children Killed in Three Weeks Surpasses Annual Number of Children Killed in Conflict Zones since 2019

https://www.savethechildren.org/us/about-us/media-and-news/2023-press-releases/g since 2019

EDIT: the figure for child deaths is now 4,008 but this won't include scores presumably trapped under buildings.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 14:31]

Yes, I think I found the link to these UN humanitarian stat updates from that.

https://www.ochaopt.org/content/hostilities-gaza-strip-and-israel-reported-impac

Worth reading for those who don't understand the underlying inhumanity of the Israeli response (bombings but also how millions of Gazans are looking at catastrophic ongoing issues without basic necessities and infrastructure). Nobody should be in any doubt that these are war crimes.

Login to get fewer ads

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:50 - Nov 6 with 3519 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 09:42 - Nov 6 by Darth_Koont

Yes, I think I found the link to these UN humanitarian stat updates from that.

https://www.ochaopt.org/content/hostilities-gaza-strip-and-israel-reported-impac

Worth reading for those who don't understand the underlying inhumanity of the Israeli response (bombings but also how millions of Gazans are looking at catastrophic ongoing issues without basic necessities and infrastructure). Nobody should be in any doubt that these are war crimes.

According to that link 1,270 children are missing and may be trapped under the rubble.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:00 - Nov 6 with 3486 viewsRyorry

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:54 - Nov 5 by leitrimblue

At last a bit of honesty from an Israeli official. This is no longer about defending themselves it's about genocide and revenge. How many Palestinian lives is sufficient?
All of them!

I think if you mention intentions of genocide coming from Israel, you need to also mention the intentions of genocide coming from Hamas, Hezbollah and others.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:03 - Nov 6 with 3472 viewsNthQldITFC

Just in general terms, but very relevant to this situation, I think the first thing we should all do when we wake up every day is to ask ourselves "Am I defending an entrenched position and refusing to clearly see the wider, changing situation around me?"

Ongoing civilian deaths on this scale without, at the very least, facility for humanitarian interventions being provided by the power in control of the area seem to me to be war crimes. Support of that stance by external powers seems to me to be irresponsible and cowardly. That's how I feel today.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:09 - Nov 6 with 3442 viewsitfcjoe

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:03 - Nov 6 by NthQldITFC

Just in general terms, but very relevant to this situation, I think the first thing we should all do when we wake up every day is to ask ourselves "Am I defending an entrenched position and refusing to clearly see the wider, changing situation around me?"

Ongoing civilian deaths on this scale without, at the very least, facility for humanitarian interventions being provided by the power in control of the area seem to me to be war crimes. Support of that stance by external powers seems to me to be irresponsible and cowardly. That's how I feel today.

I feel the need to just try and switch off from it - evil has met evil and there are no winners. There is no black and white position to take, but how long can this go on for?

As with any war, the powers that be have no concern for the lives of those in the midst of this even on their own side let alone on the 'opposition side'

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:18 - Nov 6 with 3416 viewsNthQldITFC

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:09 - Nov 6 by itfcjoe

I feel the need to just try and switch off from it - evil has met evil and there are no winners. There is no black and white position to take, but how long can this go on for?

As with any war, the powers that be have no concern for the lives of those in the midst of this even on their own side let alone on the 'opposition side'

I sympathise with that Joe, all we can do as individuals is talk and act to our consciences, spread kindness and support where we can and maintain hope that humanity will take a humble and selfless turn on so many crucial fronts in the not too distant future.

My hope is that the kids of today are not entrenched in religious, economic or party political dogma and can use their communications skills to bypass the misinformation and disinformation they're fed and overwhelm the behemoth forces that are destroying our world.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:49 - Nov 6 with 3372 viewsDarth_Koont

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:00 - Nov 6 by Ryorry

I think if you mention intentions of genocide coming from Israel, you need to also mention the intentions of genocide coming from Hamas, Hezbollah and others.

This isn’t about which set of extremists is the worst.

We’re supporting one side — and the side who don’t just have the capability to wipe another people off the map but are actually doing it.

We should be supporting all the innocent civilians but seem to have a particular problem seeing Palestinian civilians as victims. Entirely in keeping with how we’ve ignored and marginalised their occupation and oppression over the years, but that speaks to our deeper problems and hypocrisy with the Middle East and now with Gaza.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 10:51]

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:17 - Nov 6 with 3307 viewsRyorry

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:49 - Nov 6 by Darth_Koont

This isn’t about which set of extremists is the worst.

We’re supporting one side — and the side who don’t just have the capability to wipe another people off the map but are actually doing it.

We should be supporting all the innocent civilians but seem to have a particular problem seeing Palestinian civilians as victims. Entirely in keeping with how we’ve ignored and marginalised their occupation and oppression over the years, but that speaks to our deeper problems and hypocrisy with the Middle East and now with Gaza.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 10:51]

FGS

I’d have thought just for once you could stop twisting what people say.

I don’t support ANY extremists or set of extremists.

I do support all innocent civilians - as I’ve said multiple times - which you’ve chosen to ignore.

If you can’t see that Hamas, Hezbollah and others’ attacks and threats to “wipe Israel off the map” are at the root of Israel’s behaviour, you are beyond help.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:22 - Nov 6 with 3283 viewsnoggin

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:17 - Nov 6 by Ryorry

FGS

I do support all innocent civilians - as I’ve said multiple times - which you’ve chosen to ignore.

If you can’t see that Hamas, Hezbollah and others’ attacks and threats to “wipe Israel off the map” are at the root of Israel’s behaviour, you are beyond help.

I don't think Darth is pointing any fingers at you personally. Rather the western governments that continue to back the apartheid regime, unconditionally.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:26 - Nov 6 with 3259 viewsDarth_Koont

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:17 - Nov 6 by Ryorry

FGS

Well, I don't see the need to "bothsides" this in Gaza when the one-sided approach is what we're overall supporting. In fact, I see that as the danger that somehow excuses what's happening now plus our support.

I'm well aware of the history and you can go further back than the emergence of Hamas or Hezbollah or indeed look at the underlying prejudice towards Palestinian civilians since 1948.

None of this could be called tit-for-tat as if it's between two equal forces and not overwhelmingly against one set of civilians.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:33 - Nov 6 with 3225 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:22 - Nov 6 by noggin

I don't think Darth is pointing any fingers at you personally. Rather the western governments that continue to back the apartheid regime, unconditionally.

The EU has spoken out against Israel’s conduct and crimes, so I don’t think your comment is entirely accurate.

The US and UK should do so too, and perhaps it’s too hopeful to think they may have done so behind closed doors. Biden made noises about a humanitarian ceasefire which would be a start. The West has to strike a balance here - if they were to completely withdraw support from Israel, Iran and others could see this as a weakness and potentially trigger a regional war. Let’s not forget Iran is likely the ones that provided Hamas the weapons for the massacre- and continue to attack Israel from nearby countries they have a lot of blood on their hands.

*None of the above condones Israel’s conduct which has been no different to Russia in Ukraine. The civilian deaths in Gaza are atrocious. I just wanted to highlight that this is a very volatile situation which could have regional consequences. Obviously any escalation could result in even more deaths so it’s not as black and white as some people make out.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:55 - Nov 6 with 3172 viewsRyorry

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:26 - Nov 6 by Darth_Koont

Well, I don't see the need to "bothsides" this in Gaza when the one-sided approach is what we're overall supporting. In fact, I see that as the danger that somehow excuses what's happening now plus our support.

I'm well aware of the history and you can go further back than the emergence of Hamas or Hezbollah or indeed look at the underlying prejudice towards Palestinian civilians since 1948.

None of this could be called tit-for-tat as if it's between two equal forces and not overwhelmingly against one set of civilians.

You use “bothsides” as a derogatory comment.

I do not and never will support one “side” only in this, because that would be a ridiculous and biased stance.

I support the innocent civilian populations on both sides. You can do what you like, I don’t place any value on your opinion.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:59 - Nov 6 with 3156 viewsleitrimblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:00 - Nov 6 by Ryorry

Not sure I could agree with that Ryorry. Though Hamas, Hezbollah may well have theoritical intentions of genocide ( as do many Israelis with a view to Gaza etc). At this moment the possibility/ threat of genocide is only being carried out by the Israeli side.Isreal is the 1 indiscriminatly killing hundreds of children and women every day, denying them water, fuel etc and carrying out collective punishment etc .
How many Palestinian and Israeli lives must be needlessly taken ? on 12:10 - Nov 6 with 3115 viewsWeWereZombies

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 10:03 - Nov 6 by NthQldITFC

There are probably posters reading this thread with thoughts of it all being far away and nothing to do with them but your demand for us to ask questions of ourselves is close to my position. When we are part of a nation that appears to be focusing on what can be done to put demonstrators in jail rather than what pressure do we press upon foreign powers and terrorist groups to desist from oppression then we have to understand our complicity in matters. Hate crimes that involve verbal abuse should certainly be called out but the paramount matter in hand is to stop the killing, violence and destruction.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:16 - Nov 6 with 3089 viewsRyorry

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:59 - Nov 6 by leitrimblue

Not sure I could agree with that Ryorry. Though Hamas, Hezbollah may well have theoritical intentions of genocide ( as do many Israelis with a view to Gaza etc). At this moment the possibility/ threat of genocide is only being carried out by the Israeli side.Isreal is the 1 indiscriminatly killing hundreds of children and women every day, denying them water, fuel etc and carrying out collective punishment etc .

I have written several times previously explaining some of the mindset of fear that Israelis have, with rockets being daily fired into their incredibly narrow land, which they are psychologically primed to carry after centuries of persecution all round the world. Especially so since the supposedly iron dome was breached on 7th October with appalling consequences. And Hamas etc have powerful allies incl wannabe nuclear power Iran.

Everyone, I think is opposed to this onslaught against Gaza. But to make out the conflict is somehow only one-sided is a reprehensible misrepresentation.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:22 - Nov 6 with 3069 viewsDarth_Koont

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:16 - Nov 6 by Ryorry

I have written several times previously explaining some of the mindset of fear that Israelis have, with rockets being daily fired into their incredibly narrow land, which they are psychologically primed to carry after centuries of persecution all round the world. Especially so since the supposedly iron dome was breached on 7th October with appalling consequences. And Hamas etc have powerful allies incl wannabe nuclear power Iran.

Everyone, I think is opposed to this onslaught against Gaza. But to make out the conflict is somehow only one-sided is a reprehensible misrepresentation.

The UK’s support is one-sided, that’s the point

Of course the conflict isn’t only on one side. But supporting the side who can commit genocide and is currently committing war crimes is a serious problem.

Israel has the power to stop. And we along with the US have the power to push them towards that. By refusing to do so we’re complicit.

How many Palestinian and Israeli lives must be needlessly taken ? on 12:24 - Nov 6 with 3059 viewsNthQldITFC

How many Palestinian and Israeli lives must be needlessly taken ? on 12:10 - Nov 6 by WeWereZombies

There are probably posters reading this thread with thoughts of it all being far away and nothing to do with them but your demand for us to ask questions of ourselves is close to my position. When we are part of a nation that appears to be focusing on what can be done to put demonstrators in jail rather than what pressure do we press upon foreign powers and terrorist groups to desist from oppression then we have to understand our complicity in matters. Hate crimes that involve verbal abuse should certainly be called out but the paramount matter in hand is to stop the killing, violence and destruction.

Hear, hear. Ask questions of ourselves and be prepared to openly change our position, without embarrassment and without kowtowing to our ego, based on a changing situation around us.

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:31 - Nov 6 with 3018 viewsRyorry

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 12:22 - Nov 6 by Darth_Koont

The UK’s support is one-sided, that’s the point

Of course the conflict isn’t only on one side. But supporting the side who can commit genocide and is currently committing war crimes is a serious problem.

Israel has the power to stop. And we along with the US have the power to push them towards that. By refusing to do so we’re complicit.

Hamas has the power to stop - could commence by releasing the hostages instead of demanding the release of hundreds of terrorists with the capacity to inflict further attacks on Israel as a swap for the innocent civilians they’re holding.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024