Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So if the worst happens 12:11 - Nov 10 with 2596 viewsCoastalblue

and horror of horrors we don't go up this season, and I'm really starting to believe we just might, where would that leave us for next season?

Clearly we don't really know on what commitment may be made in terms of bringing people in and the cost/level, and we perhaps have to keep an eye on what got us where we are and not upsetting the apple cart in terms of marquee style signings, but surely it would still put us well ahead of our curve?

You may argue that we tripped up in getting out of League One, but it's almost starting to feel like we've skipped at least a season on our return the Championship, and even should we lose out in the playoffs we must look a very attractive option for players moving forward, as opposed to a newly promoted side looking to stabilise.

Could we be heading into next season considered one of the 'big guns' from the outside with the attraction that brings? Does that mean that Prem ready players could be enticed with the belief they may well only require a season in the Championship?

I find it a little odd to be typing this, but regardless of how this season pans out have we been in a place as good as this since our 5th place finish?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So if the worst happens on 12:18 - Nov 10 with 2280 viewsSouthfieldsBlue

It would make for an interesting summer. If we don't go up I struggle to see Davis still being here next season, and potentially Woolfenden as well. Not to say that we won't replace them well, but for the first time in years we would lose players to higher up the food chain.

On the flip side we have the potential to further evolve the squad, likely with another CM and striker, and generally improving on the out of contract players, so we could be in very good shape.
So if the worst happens on 12:22 - Nov 10 with 2243 viewshomer_123

If we don't go up it will simply be a different type of summer to that if we do.

I know it's rather stating the bleeding obvious.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So if the worst happens on 12:25 - Nov 10 with 2229 viewsSwansea_Blue

So if the worst happens on 12:22 - Nov 10 by homer_123

If we don't go up it will simply be a different type of summer to that if we do.

Which one results in a warmer, sunnier summer? That’s the one I could get behind.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So if the worst happens on 12:31 - Nov 10 with 2189 viewsBseaBlue

So if the worst happens on 12:22 - Nov 10 by homer_123

After years of dross, it's quite nice to have players we are worried about losing isnt it!
So if the worst happens on 12:37 - Nov 10 with 2159 viewsTootingTown

I'm also intrigued to how we use the January window, I can't imagine GC are going to pass at the opportunity of adding to the squad if we're still in the mix, unlike Evans in 2015.

Like another poster alluded to, if we don't go up I think we're going to struggle to hold onto Davis, Wolfie and maybe even Broadhead, if they keep performing. Throw in Williams and Hutch will be pushing for a prem moves too. However, if we do lose these players I can see us investing heavily to replace them. This is the one area we haven't really seen Ashton prove himself in yet. Fingers crossed it won't be the Coventry route!

The biggest issue of all though is if a big Prem team come calling for McKenna (I think is a case of when, not if), the whole complexion of everything could look very different in the summer if so.

Lots and lots of hypotheticals in there, but who gives a duck cause the town are going up!
So if the worst happens on 12:37 - Nov 10 with 2152 viewshomer_123

So if the worst happens on 12:25 - Nov 10 by Swansea_Blue

Which one results in a warmer, sunnier summer? That’s the one I could get behind.

Ah, so you are all for global warming then Swanners!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So if the worst happens on 12:42 - Nov 10 with 2133 viewsSomethingBlue

In short, we'd probably take big money for at least one of Davis & Woolfenden – and then reinvest a chunk of it in what we'd see as top Championship performers, or at least players we can expect to reach that level. What we need to do next is improve our quality in depth, which would leave us very nicely placed to be around the top six again if we did it well. The key would be not to do a Coventry (seemingly, though they do have plenty of time to click) and slide backwards.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

So if the worst happens on 12:52 - Nov 10 with 2039 viewsFrimleyBlue

We'd lose wolfy. Davis. Chaplin. Broadhead. Tuenzebe. Williams. Hutchinson.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

So if the worst happens on 13:46 - Nov 10 with 1836 viewsRyorry

I find that as I get older and time gets more precious, you learn to not waste it in crossing bridges before you get to them!
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 13:47]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

So if the worst happens on 13:51 - Nov 10 with 1812 viewsBlueBadger

So if the worst happens on 12:52 - Nov 10 by FrimleyBlue

LOL

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So if the worst happens on 13:52 - Nov 10 with 1805 viewstheinbetweener

Chaplin, no.

The others, maybe.
So if the worst happens on 13:56 - Nov 10 with 1782 viewsMK1

We would be left in a much stronger position than any of us would have thought possible at the end of last season. Some may leave for better, some will go to worse, but we will replace with even better and push on for promotion regardless. I get these questions from March onwards, but for now, just enjoy the ride.
So if the worst happens on 13:58 - Nov 10 with 1760 viewsHerbivore

And McKenna, and Walton and Hladky, and Morsy, and everyone else too. We'd be doomed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So if the worst happens on 14:04 - Nov 10 with 1716 viewsburnbudgiesburn

So if the worst happens on 13:58 - Nov 10 by Herbivore

And McKenna, and Walton and Hladky, and Morsy, and everyone else too. We'd be doomed.

LOL.. I remember the threads in McKennas first half season that if we missed out on the playoffs we'd lose Morsy and other Cook favourites at the end of the season.

My biggest question is if we are in a decent position will we gamble and pay money and frontload our FFP requirements this season which would mean cutting back in the next 2 or 3.

Or will we keep going as we are, spending carefully and offloading a big money player (probably Davis) to give us spending room next season (assuming we don't go up)
So if the worst happens on 14:06 - Nov 10 with 1688 viewsMK1

And recruit better. (Broadhead aside)
So if the worst happens on 14:06 - Nov 10 with 1685 viewsBlueBadger

Consolidation in the championship isn't 'the worst' mate.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So if the worst happens on 14:21 - Nov 10 with 1608 viewsFrimleyBlue

So if the worst happens on 13:58 - Nov 10 by Herbivore

No. Just those who will get prem moves.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

So if the worst happens on 14:26 - Nov 10 with 1591 viewsPendejo

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

So if the worst happens on 15:08 - Nov 10 with 1469 viewsEireannach_gorm

No Prem team would risk taking on Tuenzebe.
So if the worst happens on 15:11 - Nov 10 with 1451 viewsHerbivore

So if the worst happens on 14:21 - Nov 10 by FrimleyBlue

Oh cool, so probably just Davis and possibly Woolf then.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So if the worst happens on 15:17 - Nov 10 with 1422 viewsnodge_blue

If the worst happens, then we will be where we probably planned to be at the end of one season back in the championship.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

So if the worst happens on 15:32 - Nov 10 with 1368 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Our stock has risen massively.

During the summer those populating the wider football world may have seen us as a club likely to survive comfortably in the Championship. They are now seeing us as genuine promotion contenders. Ambitious players will want to come here.

The word is out that ITFC is a good place to be for aspirational players.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

So if the worst happens on 15:56 - Nov 10 with 1296 viewsCoastalblue

So if the worst happens on 14:06 - Nov 10 by BlueBadger

Consolidation in the championship isn't 'the worst' mate.

It is the worst at this point though isn't it?

That's kind of my point, eye rubbingly unbelievable that's the worst we are likely to be in the near future.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So if the worst happens on 15:59 - Nov 10 with 1281 viewsBigCommon

So if the worst happens on 14:21 - Nov 10 by FrimleyBlue

Or Saudi?
So if the worst happens on 16:29 - Nov 10 with 1234 viewsVegtablue

So if the worst happens on 14:04 - Nov 10 by burnbudgiesburn

LOL.. I remember the threads in McKennas first half season that if we missed out on the playoffs we'd lose Morsy and other Cook favourites at the end of the season.

My biggest question is if we are in a decent position will we gamble and pay money and frontload our FFP requirements this season which would mean cutting back in the next 2 or 3.

Or will we keep going as we are, spending carefully and offloading a big money player (probably Davis) to give us spending room next season (assuming we don't go up)

It's the question I'd love to know the answer to. We lost £12.6m in 21/22. Our P&S submission will have been lower once exempt costs were removed but will it have been substantially lower? Revenue should have increased a good amount last season, but did spending on transfers fees and wages keep pace?

The maximum permitted loss is £39m over 3 years and we're now coming to the final transfer window of the cycle starting 21/22, so it isn't obvious we have a lot left in reserve.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024