Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) 16:15 - Nov 17 with 3858 viewswkj

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-67444742

And rightly so.

Makes you stop and think how flimsy the "just banter" defence is
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 16:17]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 16:21 - Nov 17 with 3332 viewsBuhrer

Well let's hope he benefits from the community justice then.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 16:22]
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 16:21 - Nov 17 with 3331 viewsMetal_Hacker

And rightly so ....majorly poor taste

Poll: If it were one or the other

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 16:23 - Nov 17 with 3312 views_clive_baker_

Not so much a chant, but holding up a picture of a dead kid in an attempt to goad opposition supporters. Absolutely disgraceful behavior, utter scumbag.
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 16:24 - Nov 17 with 3315 viewswkj

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 16:23 - Nov 17 by _clive_baker_

Not so much a chant, but holding up a picture of a dead kid in an attempt to goad opposition supporters. Absolutely disgraceful behavior, utter scumbag.

What distresses me more is his attitude about it after the fact

Houghton later described his behaviour to police as "enjoyable banter" and said he had "found it funny".

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 16:30 - Nov 17 with 3263 views_clive_baker_

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 16:24 - Nov 17 by wkj

What distresses me more is his attitude about it after the fact

Houghton later described his behaviour to police as "enjoyable banter" and said he had "found it funny".

Yeah, c-unit of the highest order. Terribly sad that the family of the young lad were exposed to it too, probably unavoidable really. His mother came out and said how upsetting it was. Just horrible all round.
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 17:16 - Nov 17 with 3071 viewsSwansea_Blue

He seems nice

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 18:17 - Nov 17 with 2945 viewsBigCommon

Certainly "flimsy" in this instance.
But a poor , rather extreme, example, to use in any "banter" argument... I'm sure everyone would agree, that this particular incident goes way beyond "banter".
I wouldn't try to lessen the abhorrence, by classing this as banter...
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 18:21 - Nov 17 with 2925 viewsBlueBadger

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 18:17 - Nov 17 by BigCommon

Certainly "flimsy" in this instance.
But a poor , rather extreme, example, to use in any "banter" argument... I'm sure everyone would agree, that this particular incident goes way beyond "banter".
I wouldn't try to lessen the abhorrence, by classing this as banter...

95% of 'banter' is just people being c**ts though, so.....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 18:34 - Nov 17 with 2888 viewsBigCommon

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 18:21 - Nov 17 by BlueBadger

95% of 'banter' is just people being c**ts though, so.....

Saw a clip of some Leeds fans, taking the pi55 out of an Argyle fan because he was wearing chinos , last week.. Made me laugh..

The Bradley Lowry thing, is disgusting. No one can deny that..
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 21:51 - Nov 17 with 2663 viewsmatteoblue

Let's hope the state doesn't disagree with you next time.

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 22:06 - Nov 17 with 2607 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 21:51 - Nov 17 by matteoblue

Let's hope the state doesn't disagree with you next time.

Eh?

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 22:12 - Nov 17 with 2598 viewsBlueDouglas

Goes without saying he's a grade a ****, but just being a **** isnt a crime for me, don't fancy living in a police state.
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 00:13 - Nov 18 with 2431 viewsMeadowlark

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 22:12 - Nov 17 by BlueDouglas

Goes without saying he's a grade a ****, but just being a **** isnt a crime for me, don't fancy living in a police state.

I tend to agree. People jumping on the lynch mob bandwagon because the bloke is obviously a dick, but they need to take a long hard look at the WhatsApp memes and jokes they are sharing themselves before condemning a fellow traveller.
The "thought police" are now with us.

(I feel a disclaimer is required. As society is now polarised and if you don't agree, it must mean you disagree, I would like to point out to the hard of thinking that I personally do not condone his actions)
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 07:44 - Nov 18 with 2250 viewsMullet

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 22:12 - Nov 17 by BlueDouglas

Outraging public decency is though. Plus he's probably skirting close on a few other things too.

I'm not sure anything on this thread constitutes support for a police state either.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 07:52 - Nov 18 with 2231 viewsMercian

Some Liverpool supporters are rightly appalled when Man U fans mock Hillsborough at Anfield before going to Old Trafford and mocking Munich and vice versa.
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 10:17 - Nov 18 with 2091 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 22:06 - Nov 17 by Swansea_Blue

Eh?

It sounds rather like dear matteo thinks this should not have been a crime because it is the state deciding what is right and wrong.

Whilst there may be occasions where restrictions on speech might go too far, to apply that to this situation is quite a hot take.

Feel free to correct me if my interpretation of your odd comment is wrong, matteo!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 10:32 - Nov 18 with 2065 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 10:17 - Nov 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

It sounds rather like dear matteo thinks this should not have been a crime because it is the state deciding what is right and wrong.

Whilst there may be occasions where restrictions on speech might go too far, to apply that to this situation is quite a hot take.

Feel free to correct me if my interpretation of your odd comment is wrong, matteo!

Yeah, and supports the idea of being able to publicly mock the deceased presumably. I’m not sure why anyone would want to do that, so I’ve no problems having laws in place to stop it.

This fella will hopefully learn from being pulled up in front of a judge. It might make him a better person, if he’s bright enough to take the massage on board. It’s fair it’s a suspended sentence too (and possibly it’s too long). People shouldn’t be locked up for stuff like this, that would be way over the top and a waste of our money).

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 10:37 - Nov 18 with 2038 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 00:13 - Nov 18 by Meadowlark

I tend to agree. People jumping on the lynch mob bandwagon because the bloke is obviously a dick, but they need to take a long hard look at the WhatsApp memes and jokes they are sharing themselves before condemning a fellow traveller.

(I feel a disclaimer is required. As society is now polarised and if you don't agree, it must mean you disagree, I would like to point out to the hard of thinking that I personally do not condone his actions)

Except the difference here is that it is part of one testerosterone fueled mob goading another testerosterone fueled mob and it could quite easily have led to a reaction.

Personally I wouldn't waste taxpayers money on him and would prefer it if he had been fined a significant amount of money.
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 10:47 - Nov 18 with 2008 viewsTresBonne

Completely unrelated of course, but this popped up in my feed today

2 years in a youth detention centre for following and murdering an 82 year old.

Should be 20x that.
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 11:05 - Nov 18 with 1984 viewsDJR

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 00:13 - Nov 18 by Meadowlark

I tend to agree too, although there may be public order considerations in a case such as this, and clearly the family will welcome the prosecution.

I suppose there is an increasing tendency to seek to criminalise things which strike me as not really criminal, however objectionable they may be.

Climbing statues is the latest example, but, from a civil liberties point of view, the question arises as to where this stops.
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 11:18 - Nov 18 with 1949 views_clive_baker_

I can sleep fairly easy at night knowing I’ve never shared a WhatsApp meme mocking a child who died from cancer to be honest.

It’s not so much a shift to a ‘police state’ so much as actions having consequences.
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 11:32 - Nov 18 with 1910 viewsBlueDouglas

People want to see this guy face some consequences for what he did and rightly so, but that doesn't always mean the police need to be involved - he's lost his job, then lost his next job, his friends and film have turned their backs on him, no doubt he regrets what he did. Police / courts exist when there's no other way to bring someone to justice, not to control every aspect of our lives!
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 13:18 - Nov 18 with 1807 viewsClareBlue

It's always interesting where the line is. It's not absolute and changes and evolves, This is beyond the line in most people's opinion. Mocking the death of Mrs Thatcher no where near the line for most people. Mocking the death of a Monarch crosses for some but obviously not others. We have authors imprisoned for offending public decency for books that children now read and study. How it is decided what offends public decency and is there actually any public decency to offend anymore.
Decency and integrity and empathy are increasing seen as weakness in society yet we can still imprison people for offending what most people can not define and the vast majority step over every day in posts on social media.
Does anyone know what the test is as to how far people can go with banter before it becomes offensive and outrages public decency.
Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 13:28 - Nov 18 with 1786 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 10:47 - Nov 18 by TresBonne

Completely unrelated of course, but this popped up in my feed today

2 years in a youth detention centre for following and murdering an 82 year old.

Should be 20x that.

That’s disgusting. Manslaughter my arse. It’s a pre-meditated attack and he should be sent down for murder. And 18 year olds are old enough to be sent to an adult prison, so he’s got off lightly there too. As have his accomplices who took part in the attack and didn’t even face any charges.

I would be fuming if I was a friend or relative of the victim.

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 13:55 - Nov 18 with 1731 viewsWhos_blue

Jailed for a chant (Edit: Well, suspended sentence) on 13:28 - Nov 18 by Swansea_Blue

That’s disgusting. Manslaughter my arse. It’s a pre-meditated attack and he should be sent down for murder. And 18 year olds are old enough to be sent to an adult prison, so he’s got off lightly there too. As have his accomplices who took part in the attack and didn’t even face any charges.

I would be fuming if I was a friend or relative of the victim.

I think part of the issue is that he was under 18 when the offence was committed. This does not detract from the fact the sentence appears wholly unsatisfactory, but maybe the judge's hand were tied by sentencing guidelines?

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024