Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker seems to be the consensus 04:03 - Nov 21 with 9993 viewswkj

After reading through a number of posts it seems the most reoccurring position we're thinking about is strikers - possibly replacing Ladapo who has probably been one of the softer performers this season.

So, with January being a seller's market and no indication of how much is in the kitty - who do you think might be targets or even who would you like to see as targets. Have an attempt at keeping it realistic, as much as I would love to see Mbappe, Haaland, Júnior or Fati rocking up at PR

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Striker seems to be the consensus on 05:15 - Nov 21 with 5020 viewsMK1

I know people will say that we are looking at better now, but I still think Aaron Collins would score and create a lot of goals in our front line.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:46 - Nov 21 with 4876 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Striker seems to be the consensus on 05:15 - Nov 21 by MK1

I know people will say that we are looking at better now, but I still think Aaron Collins would score and create a lot of goals in our front line.

At this point, you would think if the club are looking to invest significant funds in a striker they will have half an eye on the PL.

Collins is a good player, and gets a good number of assists too, I’m surprised nobody took a punt on him in the summer. That said (big if) we are promoted he’d go from playing Shrewsbury to Man City, so it would be a punt. Appreciate few of our squad have PL experience, but they have at least proven themselves at the top end of the Championship.

A younger PL breakthrough player like Tom Cannon, or the like probably fits the profile more for GC - they have tended to buy from ‘above’. Collins is 26, so whilst not old has less of a ceiling than some.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:54 - Nov 21 with 4846 viewsHerbivore

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:46 - Nov 21 by SuperKieranMcKenna

At this point, you would think if the club are looking to invest significant funds in a striker they will have half an eye on the PL.

Collins is a good player, and gets a good number of assists too, I’m surprised nobody took a punt on him in the summer. That said (big if) we are promoted he’d go from playing Shrewsbury to Man City, so it would be a punt. Appreciate few of our squad have PL experience, but they have at least proven themselves at the top end of the Championship.

A younger PL breakthrough player like Tom Cannon, or the like probably fits the profile more for GC - they have tended to buy from ‘above’. Collins is 26, so whilst not old has less of a ceiling than some.

I wonder how many Tom Cannon types are out there though? Obviously Cannon himself isn't an option as he's now at Leicester. I know there were some rumours around Joe Gelhardt in the summer and I think he'd be a possibility, but not necessarily a like for like swap with Hirst which is what we're after, more a 9 who can also play across the line.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Striker seems to be the consensus on 08:44 - Nov 21 with 4776 viewsjayessess

I think it'll be an incredibly tough bit of business to get done and there are no obvious candidates and a fair few pitfalls.

Dane Scarlett is very young and has 4 goals in nearly 50 league appearances, all of them in League One. He played for Spurs in the EFL Cup and won't be able to sign for another club this season, so there's little chance we can send him back.

Realistically that means we'd have to sacrifice Ladapo to accommodate a new striker. That basically rules out taking a punt on someone with no league football to their name (like West Ham's Divin Mubama) because you need that experience. Championship defences eat up teenage centre forwards and you just can't be sat there with only one guy who you know can compete.

The situation we're in I think it's only worth doing if the person you bring in is a serious upgrade, someone that's near enough at Hirst's level or better even. If you could take over Jay Stansfield or Liam Delap's loan deals, you'd do that but I think that's probably unrealistic. Both are getting regular football and playing well, so there's not a lot of motivation for their parent clubs to move them. Birmingham being a bit of a basket case maybe opens the door a bit on Stansfield perhaps.

Ideally though what you want is someone older - 22+ - currently on the fringes at a top division club (in England or elsewhere). Rodrigo Muniz looked good for Fulham when we played them, so might be an option. But really, unused strikers at PL clubs is pretty slim pickings right now.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 13:21]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Striker seems to be the consensus on 08:57 - Nov 21 with 4700 viewsKieran_Knows

Striker seems to be the consensus on 05:15 - Nov 21 by MK1

If we wasn't interested in signing him whilst we was a big hitter in League 1, there's no chance we'd be looking at him now.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Striker seems to be the consensus on 08:59 - Nov 21 with 4682 viewsGeoffSentence

I am confident that Batistuta will now be available within our budget.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:03 - Nov 21 with 4662 viewsKieran_Knows

Rhian Brewster. - Sheffield United.
Rodrigo Muniz - Fulham.

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:21 - Nov 21 with 4581 viewsMeadowlark

Defender(s) for me.

We score loads but conceded too many.
Login to get fewer ads

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:28 - Nov 21 with 4555 viewssuffolkpoker

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:21 - Nov 21 by Meadowlark

Defender(s) for me.

We score loads but conceded too many.

The redevelopment off Portman Rd to 38k to 40k and make Playford Rd into a world class facility for me...oh were are doing that anyway.

its almost im being greedy wanting more than we have lol.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 9:28]

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:31 - Nov 21 with 4532 viewsGuthrum

How many of those comments are based upon traditional thinking, where a team feeds the ball to the striker, who then scores the goals? That creates an expectation of what a good performance looks like.

But it's not how we currently play. Centrally, if breaking the offside trap is not an option, the ball goes to the hold-up man, who brings others into play for the actual scoring. Gets around the problem of having to turn in a tightly-packed penalty area, or having to send the ball wide and back in again to be in front of those running in on goal (the latter being blockable by organised defenders).

Consequently, goals are spread out around almost the whole team. Which, in turn, reduces vulnerability to injury or loss of form. We can't lose our key goalscorer if there isn't one. Very notably, it has had far from a bad effect on our ability to get the ball in the net. Could this be an innovation like Tika Taka or Ramsey's use of 4-4-2?

I'm not convinced that a striker is absolutely top of the ITFC shopping list for January. Tho the philosophy is always to improve positions where we can.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 9:32]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:32 - Nov 21 with 4523 viewsNthQldITFC

Striker seems to be the consensus on 08:44 - Nov 21 by jayessess

I think it'll be an incredibly tough bit of business to get done and there are no obvious candidates and a fair few pitfalls.

Dane Scarlett is very young and has 4 goals in nearly 50 league appearances, all of them in League One. He played for Spurs in the EFL Cup and won't be able to sign for another club this season, so there's little chance we can send him back.

Realistically that means we'd have to sacrifice Ladapo to accommodate a new striker. That basically rules out taking a punt on someone with no league football to their name (like West Ham's Divin Mubama) because you need that experience. Championship defences eat up teenage centre forwards and you just can't be sat there with only one guy who you know can compete.

The situation we're in I think it's only worth doing if the person you bring in is a serious upgrade, someone that's near enough at Hirst's level or better even. If you could take over Jay Stansfield or Liam Delap's loan deals, you'd do that but I think that's probably unrealistic. Both are getting regular football and playing well, so there's not a lot of motivation for their parent clubs to move them. Birmingham being a bit of a basket case maybe opens the door a bit on Stansfield perhaps.

Ideally though what you want is someone older - 22+ - currently on the fringes at a top division club (in England or elsewhere). Rodrigo Muniz looked good for Fulham when we played them, so might be an option. But really, unused strikers at PL clubs is pretty slim pickings right now.

I wouldn't be sacrificing Ladapo to free up a squad place, though. There are at least two other candidates who come out first in my opinion. Assuming the new one would be a number 9 type, I'd say that would make three (one starts, one bench and one for injuries) with Scarlett and Jackson in the supporting striker roles (or number 9 in injury crises). Freddie does a certain job in certain circumstances and I wouldn't want to sacrifice that adaptability aspect of our squad.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:44 - Nov 21 with 4458 viewsGuthrum

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:32 - Nov 21 by NthQldITFC

I wouldn't be sacrificing Ladapo to free up a squad place, though. There are at least two other candidates who come out first in my opinion. Assuming the new one would be a number 9 type, I'd say that would make three (one starts, one bench and one for injuries) with Scarlett and Jackson in the supporting striker roles (or number 9 in injury crises). Freddie does a certain job in certain circumstances and I wouldn't want to sacrifice that adaptability aspect of our squad.

Thing is, we can maybe drop Lee Evans out, with his long-term injury. But otherwise we're into losing genuine backup/bench/cup players like Ball or Donacien. There's not a lot of leeway in terms of registered squad size.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:50 - Nov 21 with 4436 viewsLeoMuff

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:31 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

How many of those comments are based upon traditional thinking, where a team feeds the ball to the striker, who then scores the goals? That creates an expectation of what a good performance looks like.

But it's not how we currently play. Centrally, if breaking the offside trap is not an option, the ball goes to the hold-up man, who brings others into play for the actual scoring. Gets around the problem of having to turn in a tightly-packed penalty area, or having to send the ball wide and back in again to be in front of those running in on goal (the latter being blockable by organised defenders).

Consequently, goals are spread out around almost the whole team. Which, in turn, reduces vulnerability to injury or loss of form. We can't lose our key goalscorer if there isn't one. Very notably, it has had far from a bad effect on our ability to get the ball in the net. Could this be an innovation like Tika Taka or Ramsey's use of 4-4-2?

I'm not convinced that a striker is absolutely top of the ITFC shopping list for January. Tho the philosophy is always to improve positions where we can.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 9:32]

For me Hirst isn’t clinical enough, has spurned quite a number of gilt edge chances this season.

If Hirst is injured we have no one to replace him that I feel confident would be unto a championship promotion campaign.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:55 - Nov 21 with 4399 viewstractorboy1978

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:54 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

I wonder how many Tom Cannon types are out there though? Obviously Cannon himself isn't an option as he's now at Leicester. I know there were some rumours around Joe Gelhardt in the summer and I think he'd be a possibility, but not necessarily a like for like swap with Hirst which is what we're after, more a 9 who can also play across the line.

I can't see Leeds wanting to do any transfer business with us!
Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:55 - Nov 21 with 4397 viewsSomethingBlue

I wonder if someone like the lad at Reading who scored against us – Ehibhatiomhan – would be in our sights. Won't be scoring 15 in the Champ immediately but has definitely got something, similar stylistically to Semenyo who Bristol City sold to Bournemouth. Ashton's eyes would light up at the potential resale value on that one and Reading don't exactly have the whip hand financially at the moment.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 9:56]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:56 - Nov 21 with 4390 views_clive_baker_

I'm certainly expecting some activity in January.

It's that process of continual improvement and improving on your weakest component, which has been pretty remarkable when you look back to the start of last season. I think back to Burton away, our front 4 was Jackson, Aluko, Harness, Ladapo. Evans in the middle and 3/4 of our back 4 were Leigh, Donacien and Edmundson. I think that's what we'll continue to see over the next 12 months, with the likes of Luongo, Jackson, Edmundson etc falling further from the core group.

I think we'll see 2-3 in over January. A striker almost certainly at the top of the list, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see some trading elsewhere, not least defensively and potentially a number 10.

I wonder if we'll go in for Ronnie Edwards from Peterborough.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:02 - Nov 21 with 4365 viewsKieran_Knows

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:56 - Nov 21 by _clive_baker_

I'm certainly expecting some activity in January.

It's that process of continual improvement and improving on your weakest component, which has been pretty remarkable when you look back to the start of last season. I think back to Burton away, our front 4 was Jackson, Aluko, Harness, Ladapo. Evans in the middle and 3/4 of our back 4 were Leigh, Donacien and Edmundson. I think that's what we'll continue to see over the next 12 months, with the likes of Luongo, Jackson, Edmundson etc falling further from the core group.

I think we'll see 2-3 in over January. A striker almost certainly at the top of the list, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see some trading elsewhere, not least defensively and potentially a number 10.

I wonder if we'll go in for Ronnie Edwards from Peterborough.

Yes, I think at least 2-3 in, in January which means 2-3 would need to go to make room for them.

Centre back.
Centre mid/number 10
Striker

Ronnie Edwards would absolutely be my pick for the centre back signing. We'd triple our money on him almost overnight.

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:05 - Nov 21 with 4339 viewsBseaBlue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:02 - Nov 21 by Kieran_Knows

Yes, I think at least 2-3 in, in January which means 2-3 would need to go to make room for them.

Centre back.
Centre mid/number 10
Striker

Ronnie Edwards would absolutely be my pick for the centre back signing. We'd triple our money on him almost overnight.

Edwards would be an unreal signing but I can't see us pulling that off.

RE the striker targets, with the lack of options domestically, could this be the first time under the new ownership that we dip our toes into the international market?

Not sure how our network is looking these days but when you go through the 'type' of Gamechanger signing, options do seem limited.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:10 - Nov 21 with 4314 viewsCobboldCrusty

Alejo Veliz at Spurs might be someone we can get on a loan deal - only made a few appearances for them this season - YouTube clips show he can hold the ball up.

6ft 1 and 20 years old...
Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:14 - Nov 21 with 4297 viewscbower

Striker seems to be the consensus on 08:44 - Nov 21 by jayessess

12 months ago nobody had heard of the lad Ferguson at Brighton yet McKenna was very interested as reported by Phil. Weeks after the Jan window closed, he was banging in goals in the Premier League and gaining rave reviews. I'm sure they'll be looking for someone of that ilk this year and we're far more of an attractive proposition this year.

bluescouser

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:22 - Nov 21 with 4235 viewsNthQldITFC

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:44 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

Thing is, we can maybe drop Lee Evans out, with his long-term injury. But otherwise we're into losing genuine backup/bench/cup players like Ball or Donacien. There's not a lot of leeway in terms of registered squad size.

It surely makes sense to take Evans out if he's not realistically going to play again this season, that's the first place available. Then, as much as I love JD and Aluko, you'd think they would make way if we need other signings. Ball I would probably keep for versatility. Can't think we would want to make more then three new signings.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:24 - Nov 21 with 4217 viewsSomethingBlue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:44 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

I don't think it would be too difficult to cut Aluko without any hard feelings. The others will depend more on wheeler-dealing I imagine.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:27 - Nov 21 with 4207 views_clive_baker_

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:22 - Nov 21 by NthQldITFC

It surely makes sense to take Evans out if he's not realistically going to play again this season, that's the first place available. Then, as much as I love JD and Aluko, you'd think they would make way if we need other signings. Ball I would probably keep for versatility. Can't think we would want to make more then three new signings.

Shouldn't be too difficult to cut those 4.

Ball & JD will have suitors on a free with their contracts up in the summer
Evans is unlikely to be seen again in a town shirt so he could be unregistered and stick around for his rehab before his contract ends in the summer
Aluko perhaps moving in to more of a coaching capacity for the remaining 6 months of his

We've got some pretty decent options in terms of freeing up squad places for any additions.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:33 - Nov 21 with 4181 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

In:

Sam Szmodics (Blackburn)
Adam Armstrong (Southampton)
Ben Cabango (Swansea)
Jacob Greaves (Hull City)

If we signed those 4 we would probably go up, but it would cost us a fair whack.

Potentially Out:

Dominic Ball
Sone Aluko
Kyle Edwards (depending on the loan terms)
Gassan Ahadme (as per Edwards)

Players that I can see leaving further ahead:
Lee Evans
Freddie Ladapo
Kayden Jackson
Nick Hayes
Janoi Donacien
Corrie Ndaba
Panutche Camará
Idris El Mizouni
Tete Yengi
Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:40 - Nov 21 with 4129 views_clive_baker_

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:33 - Nov 21 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

In:

Sam Szmodics (Blackburn)
Adam Armstrong (Southampton)
Ben Cabango (Swansea)
Jacob Greaves (Hull City)

If we signed those 4 we would probably go up, but it would cost us a fair whack.

Potentially Out:

Dominic Ball
Sone Aluko
Kyle Edwards (depending on the loan terms)
Gassan Ahadme (as per Edwards)

Players that I can see leaving further ahead:
Lee Evans
Freddie Ladapo
Kayden Jackson
Nick Hayes
Janoi Donacien
Corrie Ndaba
Panutche Camará
Idris El Mizouni
Tete Yengi

Can't see a world where Southampton would let Armstrong go to us at a price that's anything close to what we could afford within the constraints of FFP. The same must be true of Greaves, Hull are on the coattails of the playoffs and they seemingly have deep enough pockets to keep him. Plus he's lauded up there.

Departures list looks about right, although January might come a little early for Ball given his versatility. He'll certainly be off in the summer though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024