Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toxic lefty-ism 18:13 - Nov 26 with 16895 viewsNeedhamChris

Really starting to find a number of people whose views I should align with (both on here and offline) to be quite alienating.

When it comes to people on here who are more openly left wing vs those that are right wing - the majority of the abuse, snobbery and entrenchment in views seems to come from this group. This doesn't seem to match up with the virtues that are supposedly at the centre of their politics. Whereas whilst I often disagree with some of what I read from the likes of GB and Lowhouse, their arguments are politely put forward and explained rationally and are a much more enjoyable conversation than those that I would agree with.

Why is this? I find it to be quite unedifying and the more I see of it - the more I feel like the left isn't for me. If I (as a Green party member) find it unappealing, where does that leave those minds we're supposed to be trying to change?

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

QED (n/t) on 09:41 - Nov 27 with 2007 viewsDarth_Koont

QED (n/t) on 09:38 - Nov 27 by Bloots

Exactly.

You can’t even defend your own posting history.

Pronouns: He/Him

FFS, that was meant to say “Lardy”…. on 09:42 - Nov 27 with 1996 viewsBloots

Lady Bottoms Forever. (n/t) on 09:39 - Nov 27 by Bloots

….might as well leave it there now!

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Lady Bottoms Forever. (n/t) on 09:43 - Nov 27 with 1988 viewsRyorry

Lady Bottoms Forever. (n/t) on 09:39 - Nov 27 by Bloots

Yeah, think I'll ignore that one.

As they're alt accounts, guessing at the Loving Back Front.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Sorry about that mate. (n/t) on 09:51 - Nov 27 with 1922 viewsBloots

Toxic lefty-ism on 09:41 - Nov 27 by blueasfook

Years ago, that weirdo was going on WOTB pretending to be me.

Sorry about that mate. (n/t) on 09:55 - Nov 27 with 1895 viewsblueasfook

Sorry about that mate. (n/t) on 09:51 - Nov 27 by Bloots

Oh well, seeing as it was you. I'll forgive yer mate :D

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

It's quite telling that..... on 09:57 - Nov 27 with 1873 viewsblueasfook

It's quite telling that..... on 07:59 - Nov 27 by dickie

To be fair though, after the sh1sh0w of the last 13 years the right don't have a reasoned, justifiable leg to stand on

Yet somehow they've kept winning elections. I think that says more about the "quality" of the opposition.

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:00 - Nov 27 with 1875 viewsPhilTWTD

Not pointing fingers in any particular direction - although left wing seems, judging by a poster the other day, to mean for some people anyone to the left of Nigel Farage at present and I'm not sure anyone posts from a particularly extreme left position - but I do think there needs to be a politer, less accusatory tone towards debate on here. I am spending a fair amount of time dealing with complaints and concerns re comments posters have made on here at the moment.

Having said that, if people are spouting risible nonsense which they're unable to back up - which has been a long-term complaint regarding those posting more extreme Internet-echo-chamber-sourced views - then it's perhaps not entirely surprising that they face some mockery. However, I do think it's a more helpful strategy to challenge and debate.

Also don't think it's entirely helpful for posters to have sock puppet accounts which they have dug out for the purposes of voting, so I'll remove those that I can easily identify.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Toxic lefty-ism on 10:08 - Nov 27 with 1809 viewsBlueschev

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:00 - Nov 27 by PhilTWTD

Not pointing fingers in any particular direction - although left wing seems, judging by a poster the other day, to mean for some people anyone to the left of Nigel Farage at present and I'm not sure anyone posts from a particularly extreme left position - but I do think there needs to be a politer, less accusatory tone towards debate on here. I am spending a fair amount of time dealing with complaints and concerns re comments posters have made on here at the moment.

Having said that, if people are spouting risible nonsense which they're unable to back up - which has been a long-term complaint regarding those posting more extreme Internet-echo-chamber-sourced views - then it's perhaps not entirely surprising that they face some mockery. However, I do think it's a more helpful strategy to challenge and debate.

Also don't think it's entirely helpful for posters to have sock puppet accounts which they have dug out for the purposes of voting, so I'll remove those that I can easily identify.

So what you're asking for is a kinder, gentler politics?
Login to get fewer ads

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:09 - Nov 27 with 1805 viewsPhilTWTD

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:08 - Nov 27 by Blueschev

So what you're asking for is a kinder, gentler politics?

Something like that!
Toxic lefty-ism on 10:10 - Nov 27 with 1798 viewsZapers

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:09 - Nov 27 by PhilTWTD

Something like that!

Better call Corbyn!
Well said. (n/t) on 10:23 - Nov 27 with 1755 viewsBloots

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:26 - Nov 27 with 1742 viewsblueasfook

So you now agree with me that the voting system is abused?

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:32 - Nov 27 with 1711 viewsWhos_blue

I wonder if it's not so much that the LBFs here (myself included) are more toxic, rather that some posters go from 0 to 100 with a polarising position that shuts off any reasonable discourse and leads to a "fight fire with fire" situation.
For example, occasionally Hazzer 10 would make an interesting point, but it was so wrapped up with bile and nonsense that it left no one else with anywhere to go. More often than not, that immediately led to an equally viscous retort. I do agree that you have to call out bobbins when you see it though.
I think it's maybe just another indicator of how modern anonymous communication removes the time honoured tradition of listening to an alternative view and offering a reasoned response rather than the 100mph we sometimes see here.
There is no conversation. There is no verbal nuance. We just jump in with a post of text and sit back happy that we've had our say.
There are some weapons on here, but I find it's fairly easy to navigate around the various threads and not rise to the bait. There have been numerous times I've hovered over the add reply button, paused, then deleted the text. It's just not worth the additional mental stress in getting involved in other people's games.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2023 10:36]

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:36 - Nov 27 with 1689 viewslowhouseblue

Toxic lefty-ism on 08:44 - Nov 27 by NthQldITFC

The whole left/right thing is just the most utterly ridiculous tribal, egocentric nonsense anyway. We subscribe others or ourselves exclusively to one of those camps for all issues and then raise our muskets and start banging away at them others who are completely wrong about everything. What a childish, moronic, imbecilic, irresponsible way of going about dealing with a nuanced spectrum of issues - it's like we think everything is black or white.

Left or right, black or white, for or against, can surely only apply to the most granular of distilled aspects of particular issues, yet we try to apply them not only to all issues but to complex people with complex interests and evolving views!

What it all comes down to is whether you are able to quietly challenge yourself and accept that you should always keep a little bit of your mind open to being 'wrong' on any subject (any decent scientist will tell you that). Carry that openness into your interactions with other people whether or not they do the same, and recognise that the moment you start to live entrenched in your ego you are building what you think is a hard defensive shell of fixed ideas and deceit. What you are actually investing in is a brittle thing which obscures your view of reality and, when inevitably cracked, leaves your soft little ego exposed and confused.

Vive la différence.

lack of nuance and seeing things in black and white is a big problem. as is thinking that someone's views on some political issue makes them a good or bad person. the judgemental, censorious, puritanical view that anyone outside a narrow set of your own political views is immoral or stupid or beyond the pale is part of the problem. it's illiberal, intolerant and verges on bullying. you no longer engage with people who hold different views - you just attach a label to them.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2023 10:53]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:02 - Nov 27 with 1623 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:32 - Nov 27 by Whos_blue

I wonder if it's not so much that the LBFs here (myself included) are more toxic, rather that some posters go from 0 to 100 with a polarising position that shuts off any reasonable discourse and leads to a "fight fire with fire" situation.
For example, occasionally Hazzer 10 would make an interesting point, but it was so wrapped up with bile and nonsense that it left no one else with anywhere to go. More often than not, that immediately led to an equally viscous retort. I do agree that you have to call out bobbins when you see it though.
I think it's maybe just another indicator of how modern anonymous communication removes the time honoured tradition of listening to an alternative view and offering a reasoned response rather than the 100mph we sometimes see here.
There is no conversation. There is no verbal nuance. We just jump in with a post of text and sit back happy that we've had our say.
There are some weapons on here, but I find it's fairly easy to navigate around the various threads and not rise to the bait. There have been numerous times I've hovered over the add reply button, paused, then deleted the text. It's just not worth the additional mental stress in getting involved in other people's games.

“For example, occasionally Hazzer 10 would make an interesting point”

I must have missed that….
Toxic lefty-ism on 11:14 - Nov 27 with 1580 viewsWhos_blue

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:02 - Nov 27 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“For example, occasionally Hazzer 10 would make an interesting point”

I must have missed that….

Yes. Good point!
I perhaps should have emphasised "occasionally" or maybe not have used such a polarising poster to make the point.
But joking aside, dig underneath the BS his posts were wrapped up in, I.e. the purile use of "the porker" and other such nonsense and he did sometimes offer something to a debate.
They are a classic case of anonymous posting and having to go more extreme to maintain their shtick.

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:23 - Nov 27 with 1536 viewsEwan_Oozami

Toxic lefty-ism on 08:44 - Nov 27 by NthQldITFC

The whole left/right thing is just the most utterly ridiculous tribal, egocentric nonsense anyway. We subscribe others or ourselves exclusively to one of those camps for all issues and then raise our muskets and start banging away at them others who are completely wrong about everything. What a childish, moronic, imbecilic, irresponsible way of going about dealing with a nuanced spectrum of issues - it's like we think everything is black or white.

Left or right, black or white, for or against, can surely only apply to the most granular of distilled aspects of particular issues, yet we try to apply them not only to all issues but to complex people with complex interests and evolving views!

What it all comes down to is whether you are able to quietly challenge yourself and accept that you should always keep a little bit of your mind open to being 'wrong' on any subject (any decent scientist will tell you that). Carry that openness into your interactions with other people whether or not they do the same, and recognise that the moment you start to live entrenched in your ego you are building what you think is a hard defensive shell of fixed ideas and deceit. What you are actually investing in is a brittle thing which obscures your view of reality and, when inevitably cracked, leaves your soft little ego exposed and confused.

Vive la différence.

No "hard defensive shell"?

You're obviously not a Samsonite then?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:23 - Nov 27 with 1537 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:14 - Nov 27 by Whos_blue

Yes. Good point!
I perhaps should have emphasised "occasionally" or maybe not have used such a polarising poster to make the point.
But joking aside, dig underneath the BS his posts were wrapped up in, I.e. the purile use of "the porker" and other such nonsense and he did sometimes offer something to a debate.
They are a classic case of anonymous posting and having to go more extreme to maintain their shtick.

Quite possibly the most toxic poster on here - last seen ‘sl*t shaming’ Russell Brand’s alleged victims. That as well as racist comments about Badenoch, jokes about the blind, fat shaming - he was the epitome of illiberal.
Toxic lefty-ism on 11:25 - Nov 27 with 1525 viewsEwan_Oozami

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:36 - Nov 27 by lowhouseblue

lack of nuance and seeing things in black and white is a big problem. as is thinking that someone's views on some political issue makes them a good or bad person. the judgemental, censorious, puritanical view that anyone outside a narrow set of your own political views is immoral or stupid or beyond the pale is part of the problem. it's illiberal, intolerant and verges on bullying. you no longer engage with people who hold different views - you just attach a label to them.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2023 10:53]

No "attaching of labels"?

So you're not a Samsonite either?

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:27 - Nov 27 with 1516 viewsnoggin

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:25 - Nov 27 by Ewan_Oozami

No "attaching of labels"?

So you're not a Samsonite either?

I don't think you're arguing your case very well here.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:35 - Nov 27 with 1476 viewsEwan_Oozami

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:27 - Nov 27 by noggin

I don't think you're arguing your case very well here.

I still think there's room in politics for a Samsonite Suitcase Party, or at the very least, another pair of jeans and trainers, not sure whether the hair straighteners are needed though....

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:35 - Nov 27 with 1476 viewsGeoffSentence

I do that 'hover over the add reply button, paused, then deleted the text' all the time.

If you think I post a load of cr@p now, you should see the bollox I throw away at the last minute.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:43 - Nov 27 with 1438 viewsWhos_blue

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:23 - Nov 27 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Quite possibly the most toxic poster on here - last seen ‘sl*t shaming’ Russell Brand’s alleged victims. That as well as racist comments about Badenoch, jokes about the blind, fat shaming - he was the epitome of illiberal.

Fair enough.

I can't read every post by every poster, but if that's where his posts ended up, then good riddance and I'm glad he's gone.
When posts get pulled and posters get banned, unless you were engaging or contributing it's not always clear why.
I clearly wouldn't have used him as an example had I have known.
If I can be allowed that faux pas, I still think most posters bring something to certain threads. For example, I really like the music related threads and often find myself in a great conversation with posters who would share different political views with me on more politically focused threads.
I can see I've dropped a bit of a clanger, but hope that doesn't detract totally from the point I was trying to make, however badly I seemingly made it!

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:44 - Nov 27 with 1436 viewsfactual_blue

Sometimes a viscous reply is what's needed, but on other occasions a more fluid response is better.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:50 - Nov 27 with 2180 viewsWhos_blue

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:44 - Nov 27 by factual_blue

Sometimes a viscous reply is what's needed, but on other occasions a more fluid response is better.

Exactly.

I wish you'd have written my original post!

It would have saved me the embarrassment of apparently outing myself as a Hazzer fanboy!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024