Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toxic lefty-ism 18:13 - Nov 26 with 16908 viewsNeedhamChris

Really starting to find a number of people whose views I should align with (both on here and offline) to be quite alienating.

When it comes to people on here who are more openly left wing vs those that are right wing - the majority of the abuse, snobbery and entrenchment in views seems to come from this group. This doesn't seem to match up with the virtues that are supposedly at the centre of their politics. Whereas whilst I often disagree with some of what I read from the likes of GB and Lowhouse, their arguments are politely put forward and explained rationally and are a much more enjoyable conversation than those that I would agree with.

Why is this? I find it to be quite unedifying and the more I see of it - the more I feel like the left isn't for me. If I (as a Green party member) find it unappealing, where does that leave those minds we're supposed to be trying to change?

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:29 - Nov 27 with 1732 viewsMattinLondon

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:17 - Nov 27 by chicoazul

OP you are if I may respectfully say, conflating right wing and left wing with being self righteous.
The only viewpoint put across by the majority of whom you speak - not all but the majority - is to be seen as correct, as the inherent virtue of a left wing ideology is “we are correct”. There can be no argument with this, as they represent The Ideology, and The Ideology cannot be seen as being incorrect. This may remind you of the way a certain country was run before it collapsed in on itself, who can say.
The highest profile proponent of this is James O’Brien, if you disagree with him you are either right wing or if you approach his views with a left wing critique a useful idiot. There is no third way or compromise.
This is why so many of them seem rude or off putting to you. This is because you seem to them as stupid as you disagree with The Ideology. And The Ideology is faultless so who could argue with it? And by extension them?
When they aim their bile at me which is often I like to think it’s because they agree with me but can’t bring themselves to admit it which, of course, would be a betrayal of The Ideology.

I listen to JOB on a semi-regular basis and whereas he has a tendency to go on-and-on, he has frequently admitted to being wrong and altered his views if a caller challenges his chain of thought. Which is an admirable trait to have.

I have no idea why you feel that people can’t bring themselves to agree with you. You’re just another poster, like us all, nothing more nothing less. No need for self-importance.
Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 18:33 - Nov 27 with 1723 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 15:09 - Nov 27 by Bloots

....then that's all of the current crop gone.

Cheers.

Officer Dibble.

2 newbies joined in the down arrows.

What I don’t understand is that they hate the board, hate the people posting on here and hate the way Phil runs the board. But they try everything to return here every couple of months, only for the mask to slip, get abusive and get banned all over again.

Quite sad really.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:33 - Nov 27 with 1728 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:11 - Nov 27 by ElephantintheRoom

Is it an age-related thing? Most of the amusing/annoying lefties on here seem midway between play group and primary school in their intellectual thinking. I blame the guardian for not pricing them out of their ‘opinions’.

It is great that there are only polite non-abusive right wingers on here and such a shame for all the abusive toxic lefties. I admire your intellectual greatness.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 19:14 - Nov 27 with 1645 viewsRyorry

Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 18:33 - Nov 27 by GlasgowBlue

What I don’t understand is that they hate the board, hate the people posting on here and hate the way Phil runs the board. But they try everything to return here every couple of months, only for the mask to slip, get abusive and get banned all over again.

Quite sad really.

Just got in in time to see a post from retired blue telling me my joke re him not being retired from posting on here (he had 0 & 0) was "abuse" . Penned a quick reply to say I'd be putting him on ignore as I had the two other posters who he reminded me of, only to find Phil had brought the ban-hammer down meantime!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 19:47 - Nov 27 with 1574 viewsEwan_Oozami

Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 19:14 - Nov 27 by Ryorry

Just got in in time to see a post from retired blue telling me my joke re him not being retired from posting on here (he had 0 & 0) was "abuse" . Penned a quick reply to say I'd be putting him on ignore as I had the two other posters who he reminded me of, only to find Phil had brought the ban-hammer down meantime!

What? You mean he's actually been "Retired"? I can't keep up with all these shenanigans!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Toxic lefty-ism on 20:34 - Nov 27 with 1495 viewsSwansea_Blue

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:32 - Nov 27 by Whos_blue

I wonder if it's not so much that the LBFs here (myself included) are more toxic, rather that some posters go from 0 to 100 with a polarising position that shuts off any reasonable discourse and leads to a "fight fire with fire" situation.
For example, occasionally Hazzer 10 would make an interesting point, but it was so wrapped up with bile and nonsense that it left no one else with anywhere to go. More often than not, that immediately led to an equally viscous retort. I do agree that you have to call out bobbins when you see it though.
I think it's maybe just another indicator of how modern anonymous communication removes the time honoured tradition of listening to an alternative view and offering a reasoned response rather than the 100mph we sometimes see here.
There is no conversation. There is no verbal nuance. We just jump in with a post of text and sit back happy that we've had our say.
There are some weapons on here, but I find it's fairly easy to navigate around the various threads and not rise to the bait. There have been numerous times I've hovered over the add reply button, paused, then deleted the text. It's just not worth the additional mental stress in getting involved in other people's games.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2023 10:36]

Yeah, there’s a lot of that. Posters hit the ground running with an opinion they’ve borrowed from social media (normally Twitter judging by the time it’s linked) and the die is cast (even when the Twitter post is utterly wrong, as we’ve seen plenty of times).

The other big thing here is than personal enmities have been festering for years and years, literally decades in some cases. So people jump in and play the poster not the ball. It happens all the time.

One final point, I see people are complaining that ‘lefties’ claim the moral high ground. I’ve no idea how they’re defining ‘lefty’, but anyone standing against some of the blatant incompetence, corruption, law breaking and xenophobia/racism of the government of the last decade DOES actually hold the moral high ground and is right. That’s not just a personal view - it’s being borne out by the high court, countless experts and various enquiries. Anyone defending useless, corrupt, racist, law breaking govt is in the wrong.

I saw this thread this morning and thought it a complete shower of shoite. Nothing but divisive drivel with emboldened posters popping up to fan the flames while offering nothing. A discussion broke out half way through though, so I thought I’d respond to your post as it seemed thoughtful. I might mute it now though, as it’s only going to go one way.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Toxic lefty-ism on 23:44 - Nov 27 with 1365 viewsRyorry

Toxic lefty-ism on 20:34 - Nov 27 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, there’s a lot of that. Posters hit the ground running with an opinion they’ve borrowed from social media (normally Twitter judging by the time it’s linked) and the die is cast (even when the Twitter post is utterly wrong, as we’ve seen plenty of times).

The other big thing here is than personal enmities have been festering for years and years, literally decades in some cases. So people jump in and play the poster not the ball. It happens all the time.

One final point, I see people are complaining that ‘lefties’ claim the moral high ground. I’ve no idea how they’re defining ‘lefty’, but anyone standing against some of the blatant incompetence, corruption, law breaking and xenophobia/racism of the government of the last decade DOES actually hold the moral high ground and is right. That’s not just a personal view - it’s being borne out by the high court, countless experts and various enquiries. Anyone defending useless, corrupt, racist, law breaking govt is in the wrong.

I saw this thread this morning and thought it a complete shower of shoite. Nothing but divisive drivel with emboldened posters popping up to fan the flames while offering nothing. A discussion broke out half way through though, so I thought I’d respond to your post as it seemed thoughtful. I might mute it now though, as it’s only going to go one way.

You're quite right about personal enmities & I really don't know why people do that, it's so negative, & only eats them up in the end. I prefer to forget past history & move on. Often a fight with someone on one issue is replaced by agreement on another anyway.

I do think you might have forgotten the main point of the OP though. I upvoted it because its focus was "it's not what you say but the way that you say it".

I was in agreement with 95% of Corbyn's policies, and thus most of those on here who want/ed those policies. But because I disagreed with a handful of the policies, plus I felt they were too much to all go into one manifesto, I got dogs' abuse, defamation, twisting of what I'd said, & was (still am by some) called a "rightie" by some "lefties", which is quite an insult when you've been a lifelong Labour voter.

On the other hand Zapers, whose politics I profoundly disagree with, has never behaved towards me in anything other than a civil, reasonable, straightforward way. So if he does have good points to make, I'll be reading them. Unlike the posts of those who are supposedly on the "same side" as me but are just coming out with insults, abuse & deliberate distortions at and about me.

On reflection I disagree with the OP on one thing though - ie I think the abuse is actually fairly evenly distributed between those on the 'right' and those on the 'left' politically; but it just so happens there's a higher proportion of 'lefties' on here, so they are the predomonant voices on the forum.

Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 09:26 - Nov 28 with 1216 viewsblueasfook

Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 18:33 - Nov 27 by GlasgowBlue

Quite sad really.

Jeera was the best. He didn't even bother with the honeymoon period, just created a new account and proceeded to rip into you, I and Phil! I think his new account lasted about half an hour.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Login to get fewer ads

Toxic lefty-ism on 09:29 - Nov 28 with 1192 viewsDanTheMan

I go away for one weekend and all hell breaks loose it seems.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 09:32 - Nov 28 with 1171 viewsRyorry

Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 09:26 - Nov 28 by blueasfook

Jeera was the best. He didn't even bother with the honeymoon period, just created a new account and proceeded to rip into you, I and Phil! I think his new account lasted about half an hour.

I got about 26 downvotes from him in those 30 minutes! Seemingly random and unrelated to anything I’d actually said, just a spree.

Toxic lefty-ism on 09:37 - Nov 28 with 1139 viewsRyorry

Toxic lefty-ism on 09:29 - Nov 28 by DanTheMan

You’re one of the diplomats and voices of reason!

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:11 - Nov 28 with 1068 viewsGlasgowBlue

Toxic lefty-ism on 09:29 - Nov 28 by DanTheMan

The night of the long knifes for [redacted] sock puppets plus a couple of banned posters popped back on and were retired by Phil.

I only caught the tail end myself.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:13 - Nov 28 with 1062 viewsblueasfook

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:11 - Nov 28 by GlasgowBlue

The night of the long knifes for [redacted] sock puppets plus a couple of banned posters popped back on and were retired by Phil.

I only caught the tail end myself.

I love how you do [redacted] - helps avoid a message from Unc!

You just had the one this morning? (n/t) on 10:14 - Nov 28 with 1058 viewsBloots

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:13 - Nov 28 by blueasfook

I love how you do [redacted] - helps avoid a message from Unc!

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

You just had the one this morning? (n/t) on 10:18 - Nov 28 with 1044 viewsblueasfook

You just had the one this morning? (n/t) on 10:14 - Nov 28 by Bloots

Yesterday - oh and one today. I'm popular with Unc at the moment!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024