Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Homophobic Chant 14:05 - Nov 30 with 4104 viewsJimmyJazz

Not seen anything mentioned - apologies if it has - but that was quite a clearly audible chant from the Millwall fans last night, which surely counts as an homophobic chant. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, but was their response to our song along the lines of 'you take it up the.........'

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Homophobic Chant on 14:13 - Nov 30 with 3957 viewstextbackup

So you don’t know who it was aimed at, but you’re saying it’s homophobic?
😂😂😂 could have been aimed at a women, would that be homophobic?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Homophobic Chant on 14:14 - Nov 30 with 3956 viewsGeoffSentence

Not sure it would as sodomy is also practised amongst heterosexual partners.

But it was rude of them.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Homophobic Chant on 14:16 - Nov 30 with 3940 viewsJimmyJazz

Homophobic Chant on 14:13 - Nov 30 by textbackup

It was aimed at the Town fans - my point was it wasn't at any one individual person.

Does that mean it's not a homophobic chant? 1 - it's not aimed at an individual. 2 - it's not explicitly aimed at male fans
[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 14:20]

Homophobic Chant on 14:18 - Nov 30 with 3923 viewsJimmyJazz

Homophobic Chant on 14:13 - Nov 30 by textbackup

Maybe they were just referencing the Town women, but I don't think that was the case

Homophobic Chant on 14:19 - Nov 30 with 3914 viewstextbackup

Homophobic Chant on 14:16 - Nov 30 by JimmyJazz

It was aimed at the Town fans - my point was it wasn't at any one individual person.

Does that mean it's not a homophobic chant? 1 - it's not aimed at an individual. 2 - it's not explicitly aimed at male fans
[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 14:20]

So what?
Best email the club if it upset you that much

And while at it please include I was offended at their chant of ‘we’re gonna win 4-3’ that was down right awful behaviour from a set of fans that are normally pretty intimidating

Homophobic Chant on 14:21 - Nov 30 with 3878 viewsGeoffSentence

Homophobic Chant on 14:19 - Nov 30 by textbackup

So what?
Best email the club if it upset you that much

And while at it please include I was offended at their chant of ‘we’re gonna win 4-3’ that was down right awful behaviour from a set of fans that are normally pretty intimidating

This wasn't the Millwall of old was it. They used to make a noise from beginning to end, come what may. They were quiet in comparison yesterday.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Homophobic Chant on 14:25 - Nov 30 with 3835 viewstextbackup

Homophobic Chant on 14:21 - Nov 30 by GeoffSentence

This wasn't the Millwall of old was it. They used to make a noise from beginning to end, come what may. They were quiet in comparison yesterday.

Was really disappointed in there, not a single loud roar of MILLLLLLLLLL, and only a half hearted ‘no one likes us’

So real cringe worthy songs too, thought it was us away to MK dons!

Homophobic Chant on 14:56 - Nov 30 with 3638 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

They sang “you take it up the ars..” to the tune of Bobby conquered Europe in response to it, I’m not sure anyone was actually offended, they were singing self deprecating songs all night and were just making light of a bad game. Is anyone that worried about that? It was actually more inventive than most of the opposition chanting we get.
Login to get fewer ads

Homophobic Chant on 15:03 - Nov 30 with 3574 viewsJimmyJazz

Homophobic Chant on 14:56 - Nov 30 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

They sang “you take it up the ars..” to the tune of Bobby conquered Europe in response to it, I’m not sure anyone was actually offended, they were singing self deprecating songs all night and were just making light of a bad game. Is anyone that worried about that? It was actually more inventive than most of the opposition chanting we get.

I didn't find it offensive and yes it was inventive, but then I hear today about Forest fans being investigated by police in regards to homophobic chants in the game against Brighton, and it made me wonder what the difference is.

Homophobic Chant on 15:06 - Nov 30 with 3548 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Homophobic Chant on 15:03 - Nov 30 by JimmyJazz

I didn't find it offensive and yes it was inventive, but then I hear today about Forest fans being investigated by police in regards to homophobic chants in the game against Brighton, and it made me wonder what the difference is.

It wasn’t really aimed at gay people? It was just an in the moment play on words that last less than a minute if I recall after it got a laugh. If it had been targeted at gay supporters and specifically used slurs it would have been picked up on, but saying we take it up the ars .. to the tune of one of our songs is just piss taking.
Homophobic Chant on 15:38 - Nov 30 with 3419 viewsHerbivore

Homophobic Chant on 15:06 - Nov 30 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

It wasn’t really aimed at gay people? It was just an in the moment play on words that last less than a minute if I recall after it got a laugh. If it had been targeted at gay supporters and specifically used slurs it would have been picked up on, but saying we take it up the ars .. to the tune of one of our songs is just piss taking.

If they are intending to mock by singing about taking it up the arse that necessarily implies that taking it up the arse is something for people to feel ashamed of. That is homophobia. I doubt anyone, including the LGBTQ+ community, is going to lose any sleep over knuckle-dragging Millwall fans chanting that but to deny it is homophobic is also incorrect.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Homophobic Chant on 18:02 - Nov 30 with 2985 viewsBlueBadger

Homophobic Chant on 15:38 - Nov 30 by Herbivore

If they are intending to mock by singing about taking it up the arse that necessarily implies that taking it up the arse is something for people to feel ashamed of. That is homophobia. I doubt anyone, including the LGBTQ+ community, is going to lose any sleep over knuckle-dragging Millwall fans chanting that but to deny it is homophobic is also incorrect.

Interesting downvoting happening in this thread.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Homophobic Chant on 18:03 - Nov 30 with 2985 viewsMattinLondon

It certainly is homophobia - I agree with you that most people won’t be that bothered about what those Millwall fans were singing but it does add weight to why players are still uncomfortable in ‘coming out’.

On the side, Millwall also have one of the most annoying chants in the football league - when they all sing ‘Walllllllllllllll’ (think it’s that) all at once. Bag of balls.
Homophobic Chant on 18:08 - Nov 30 with 2946 viewsHerbivore

Homophobic Chant on 18:03 - Nov 30 by MattinLondon

It certainly is homophobia - I agree with you that most people won’t be that bothered about what those Millwall fans were singing but it does add weight to why players are still uncomfortable in ‘coming out’.

On the side, Millwall also have one of the most annoying chants in the football league - when they all sing ‘Walllllllllllllll’ (think it’s that) all at once. Bag of balls.

Their support last night was pretty piss poor generally. Lots of empty seats and not much noise, hence I didn't personally hear the chant mentioned in the OP. I'm not sure why they revel in being absolute whoppers either, but each to their own.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 18:16]

Homophobic Chant on 18:20 - Nov 30 with 2886 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

By that logic even the middle finger aka up yours is homophobic? Should supporters, and there are many of ours, on Matchday giving the finger to opposition players, managers, linesman and referees get whacked with a homophobia ban? Because that’s literally the meaning of the middle finger too.

I don’t think that Millwall response to our song was homophobic and I doubt anyone who attended will be reporting it, but I guess it’s down to the individual, therefore if they did like you find it offensive then they should report it. I just thought it was a crude adaptation to “and we won the FA Cup” and that’s literally all that was going on there.

As a side note that’s probably the best behaviour I’ve ever seen before a game from Millwall supporters ever, which may surprise some but honestly they were better than a lot of the League One fans in terms of behaviour. I seem to recall Fleetwood fans trying to start a fight with us at Portman Road for example.
Homophobic Chant on 18:36 - Nov 30 with 2817 viewsHerbivore

Homophobic Chant on 18:20 - Nov 30 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

By that logic even the middle finger aka up yours is homophobic? Should supporters, and there are many of ours, on Matchday giving the finger to opposition players, managers, linesman and referees get whacked with a homophobia ban? Because that’s literally the meaning of the middle finger too.

I don’t think that Millwall response to our song was homophobic and I doubt anyone who attended will be reporting it, but I guess it’s down to the individual, therefore if they did like you find it offensive then they should report it. I just thought it was a crude adaptation to “and we won the FA Cup” and that’s literally all that was going on there.

As a side note that’s probably the best behaviour I’ve ever seen before a game from Millwall supporters ever, which may surprise some but honestly they were better than a lot of the League One fans in terms of behaviour. I seem to recall Fleetwood fans trying to start a fight with us at Portman Road for example.

You're.conflating two quite different things there. The origins of giving the middle finger are contested but nowhere does it have anything to do specifically with homosexuality. Singing to a bunch of predominantly male football fans that they take it up the arse is clearly a reference to being gay, clearly implies that this is something to be ashamed of, and is therefore homophobic. If it was just intended to be a crude reply, why didn't they sing "and you like to look at tits"? I think it's pretty obvious why and it's a shame that this kind of low level homophobia still goes on and that people still struggle to recognise it. Or maybe I'm just being a gaylord.

Homophobic Chant on 18:42 - Nov 30 with 2789 viewsMattinLondon

Homophobic Chant on 18:20 - Nov 30 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I’d argue that giving someone the finger has outlived its original sexual meaning. Now, most just associate it with that. An obscene gesture yes, but not in keeping with its original meaning. The same with some phrases such as nitty-gritty - both language and gestures move on.

The Millwall chant was homophobic.

Edit. Apologies to Herbs - didn’t realise you had already replied.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 18:44]
Homophobic Chant on 18:56 - Nov 30 with 2715 viewsBLUEBEAT

How vanilla.

Butt-plugs are the norm these days.

Aren’t they?

Aren’t they….?

Poll: W or W

Homophobic Chant on 19:26 - Nov 30 with 2599 viewsMattinLondon

Homophobic Chant on 18:56 - Nov 30 by BLUEBEAT

How vanilla.

Butt-plugs are the norm these days.

Aren’t they?

Aren’t they….?

Perfectly normal…but maybe not whilst going through airport security.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/11/woman-wearing-butt-plug-with-boyfriends-ashes-sto
[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 19:39]
Homophobic Chant on 08:18 - Dec 1 with 2069 viewsBluespeed225

We had a nice little chant of 'We can't see you sneeking out', you know, cos' of the mist.
Homophobic Chant on 09:34 - Dec 1 with 1953 viewsWallingford_Boy

Well said.

RIP Sir Bobby

Homophobic Chant on 11:11 - Dec 1 with 1842 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It’s a bit unfair to tar all Millwall fans…it’s the 99% giving the 1% a bad name…
Homophobic Chant on 11:59 - Dec 1 with 1750 viewsRimsy

People go out of their way to find something to be offended by. It's just football chanting, who cares.

BlueBlood

Homophobic Chant on 13:14 - Dec 1 with 1626 viewsitfc24

Homophobic Chant on 11:59 - Dec 1 by Rimsy

People go out of their way to find something to be offended by. It's just football chanting, who cares.

Its the TWTD forum, the OP has probably had to go and lie down in his safe space after hearing the chanting whilst watching a couple of Owen Jones vids on YouTube before being ready to join the world again.
Homophobic Chant on 14:43 - Dec 1 with 1508 viewsBlueBadger

Homophobic Chant on 13:14 - Dec 1 by itfc24

Its the TWTD forum, the OP has probably had to go and lie down in his safe space after hearing the chanting whilst watching a couple of Owen Jones vids on YouTube before being ready to join the world again.

God, I miss the days when you could be openly bigoted in public without people calling it out too.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024