Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
favorite cheap meals? 15:31 - Jan 8 with 9627 viewsgiant_stow

run out of money again and off to Lidl soon - no Sainsburys delivery this week - oh no! So any ideas for tasty cheap meals?

All i have in my locker is:
Tuna Pasta bake
Spicy bean /sausage stew
Ham and cheese pancakes.

Oh and the cheat's trash food of those mini Goodfella's pizzas

ta!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

favorite cheap meals? on 17:55 - Jan 8 with 1317 viewsTresBonne

Personal fav:

- 5% fat beef mince
- Rice
- Mixed veg

Season beef mince with paprika, chuck tomato puree on top of it and voila, you have a sort of bolognas mix for about £4.

My go-to uni meal was a simple beef strips, noodles and soy sauce. Was about £3 a serving
favorite cheap meals? on 18:20 - Jan 8 with 1264 viewsMK1

Bag of 20 frozen sausages. Loaf of bread. Bag of frozen fries. Sausage sandwiches and fries for 5 days. All for under £7.
favorite cheap meals? on 18:22 - Jan 8 with 1262 viewsCoastalblue

favorite cheap meals? on 18:20 - Jan 8 by MK1

Bag of 20 frozen sausages. Loaf of bread. Bag of frozen fries. Sausage sandwiches and fries for 5 days. All for under £7.

Hardly the best diet though is it, when you can eat far better quality for the same price or cheaper.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

favorite cheap meals? on 18:26 - Jan 8 with 1260 viewsGuthrum

I found a load of reduced (funny shaped) parsnips in Tesco the other day. Couple of onions, a few carrots (also reduced), some celery. Boiled it all up, blended it. I did add a bit of cream - also from the reduced bin a few days before, frozen in portions. Now eating lovely parsnip soup for most of this week. Think the whole thing cost me about £3.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

favorite cheap meals? on 18:30 - Jan 8 with 1233 viewsMK1

favorite cheap meals? on 18:22 - Jan 8 by Coastalblue

Hardly the best diet though is it, when you can eat far better quality for the same price or cheaper.

It will fill them up when they have little money.
favorite cheap meals? on 18:32 - Jan 8 with 1219 viewsHerbivore

favorite cheap meals? on 18:30 - Jan 8 by MK1

It will fill them up when they have little money.

£7 worth of veg and pulses will provide more food and a lot more nutrition.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

favorite cheap meals? on 18:50 - Jan 8 with 1189 viewsMK1

favorite cheap meals? on 18:32 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

£7 worth of veg and pulses will provide more food and a lot more nutrition.

They can buy brown bread.
favorite cheap meals? on 19:01 - Jan 8 with 1165 viewsMJallday

Cans of chilli, sprinkled cheese and a bit of rice
- cheap and filling

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

favorite cheap meals? on 19:01 - Jan 8 with 1165 viewsCrayonKing

favorite cheap meals? on 16:22 - Jan 8 by tonybied

Download yourself the Too good to go app. You can get food going out of date from supermarkets and left over food from restaurants for cheap prices. It just usually requires a trip to the shop or restaurant just before closing time. If you manage to get restaurant food at least you don't need to pay for the energy required to cook too, if you really are struggling.
[Post edited 8 Jan 16:23]

Agree with Too Good To Go, although it's very store dependent as to what's worth getting. I always found Greggs bags were great (packed lunch for the kids the next day) and Morrisons cold-food cafe bags can be a bargain depending on who's bagging them up that night. Conversely I found the morrisons grocery bags to be more miss than hit at my local.

Another tip is to get to know when your local supermarket marks food down. We often get bargain meat or fish for the freezer at Morrisons or Waitrose at that 5-5:30pm sweet spot.

Finally don't be ashamed to contact your local food bank. They're there to help people who need it, whatever their circumstances, and in my experience are awesome people who just want to help their communities.
favorite cheap meals? on 19:14 - Jan 8 with 1133 viewsitfctilidie

Corned Beef Hash
Tinned Sardines Spaghetti Passata - add veggies
Liver, Mash, Peas
favorite cheap meals? on 20:22 - Jan 8 with 1069 viewsChurchman

favorite cheap meals? on 19:14 - Jan 8 by itfctilidie

Corned Beef Hash
Tinned Sardines Spaghetti Passata - add veggies
Liver, Mash, Peas

Liver, mash, peas? The mash: fine. The rest: in the bin. Dear god. Can’t think of too much worse than that. Kidneys maybe. Yuck, offal!

Nuts, pulses, veggies - nearly as depressing.

Lots of great ideas though, especially when to buy food and from where 👍🏻
favorite cheap meals? on 20:28 - Jan 8 with 1049 viewsNthQldITFC

favorite cheap meals? on 18:50 - Jan 8 by MK1

They can buy brown bread.

Let them eat cake.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

favorite cheap meals? on 20:51 - Jan 8 with 1027 viewsbluelagos

So serious answer: check out Jack Monroe...they've done loads on cheap healthy eating on a tight budget

Less serious. My go to as a student was tomato ketchup sandwiches. Add fish fingers if your feeling flush.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

favorite cheap meals? on 21:02 - Jan 8 with 1015 viewsJ2BLUE

favorite cheap meals? on 20:51 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

So serious answer: check out Jack Monroe...they've done loads on cheap healthy eating on a tight budget

Less serious. My go to as a student was tomato ketchup sandwiches. Add fish fingers if your feeling flush.

Made with toast right?

If not, you're a complete wrong un.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

favorite cheap meals? on 21:03 - Jan 8 with 1013 viewsParisBlue

favorite cheap meals? on 15:49 - Jan 8 by J2BLUE

I like to include a ton of peas when making vegetable curry. Replaces the protein.

This. Give peas a chance

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

favorite cheap meals? on 21:08 - Jan 8 with 1000 viewsbluelagos

favorite cheap meals? on 21:02 - Jan 8 by J2BLUE

Made with toast right?

If not, you're a complete wrong un.

I'm a wrongun...no argument from me J2

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

favorite cheap meals? on 21:12 - Jan 8 with 990 viewsKeno

Potato wedges and baked beans, If I feel like making it a special meal I get a tin of beans with the little sausages

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

favorite cheap meals? on 21:25 - Jan 8 with 972 viewsJ2BLUE

favorite cheap meals? on 21:12 - Jan 8 by Keno

Potato wedges and baked beans, If I feel like making it a special meal I get a tin of beans with the little sausages

Things like this are 5 for £5 in Asda and they do a vegan variety (sorry).

That's a good point actually, Asda have some great offers on cupboard fillers and they used to do deliveries for £1 or less in the evenings. Could be a good option to stock up.

Maybe google cashback/gift card apps as well. The likes of Jam Doughnut (app). A couple of percent cashback on most supermarket gift cards (£10 cashout minimum). Pays for delivery and you can stock up on cheap staples.

Oh and the mini Goodfellas pizzas are 2 for £4.

Martin Lewis, eat your heart out.

Truly impaired.

favorite cheap meals? on 21:27 - Jan 8 with 970 viewsMJallday

Can of chickpeas, tuna and a chopped onion and some mixed leaf salad

All in all about 2 quid

Mix it all up, add liberal salt/peppervinegar - decent couple of salads out of that

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

favorite cheap meals? on 21:32 - Jan 8 with 947 viewssuffolkpoker

favorite cheap meals? on 21:27 - Jan 8 by MJallday

Can of chickpeas, tuna and a chopped onion and some mixed leaf salad

All in all about 2 quid

Mix it all up, add liberal salt/peppervinegar - decent couple of salads out of that

When I travelled around Aus. My breakfast most mornings was super noodle sandwich. It would under a dollar and quick to make and very filling.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

favorite cheap meals? on 21:39 - Jan 8 with 932 viewsJ2BLUE

favorite cheap meals? on 21:32 - Jan 8 by suffolkpoker

When I travelled around Aus. My breakfast most mornings was super noodle sandwich. It would under a dollar and quick to make and very filling.

Truly impaired.

favorite cheap meals? on 22:08 - Jan 8 with 901 viewsTresBonne

favorite cheap meals? on 19:01 - Jan 8 by CrayonKing

Agree with Too Good To Go, although it's very store dependent as to what's worth getting. I always found Greggs bags were great (packed lunch for the kids the next day) and Morrisons cold-food cafe bags can be a bargain depending on who's bagging them up that night. Conversely I found the morrisons grocery bags to be more miss than hit at my local.

Another tip is to get to know when your local supermarket marks food down. We often get bargain meat or fish for the freezer at Morrisons or Waitrose at that 5-5:30pm sweet spot.

Finally don't be ashamed to contact your local food bank. They're there to help people who need it, whatever their circumstances, and in my experience are awesome people who just want to help their communities.

I have had some big hits and some big misses from Too Good To Go.

Once, I got a full english, with about 4 sausages, 2 eggs, a massive tin of beans and 5 bacon rashers in it for £4 from some fancy Leeds hotel. And they let me scran it in the conference room, legends.

But I also once got a 'surprise bag' from Lidl for £2 and it ended up being five packets of lambs lettuce, did give me a laugh
favorite cheap meals? on 10:43 - Jan 9 with 806 viewsBluespeed225

Ham 98p, down from 3 quid something in the CO-OP whoops section, spaghetti, 3 eggs, parmesan, all Lidl, couple of bits of garlic, 4 potions made last night, Carbonara a go-go!
[Post edited 9 Jan 10:44]
favorite cheap meals? on 11:19 - Jan 9 with 778 viewshoppy

favorite cheap meals? on 10:43 - Jan 9 by Bluespeed225

Ham 98p, down from 3 quid something in the CO-OP whoops section, spaghetti, 3 eggs, parmesan, all Lidl, couple of bits of garlic, 4 potions made last night, Carbonara a go-go!
[Post edited 9 Jan 10:44]

What was the purpose of the potions?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

favorite cheap meals? on 11:26 - Jan 9 with 764 views_clive_baker_

favorite cheap meals? on 21:25 - Jan 8 by J2BLUE

Things like this are 5 for £5 in Asda and they do a vegan variety (sorry).

That's a good point actually, Asda have some great offers on cupboard fillers and they used to do deliveries for £1 or less in the evenings. Could be a good option to stock up.

Maybe google cashback/gift card apps as well. The likes of Jam Doughnut (app). A couple of percent cashback on most supermarket gift cards (£10 cashout minimum). Pays for delivery and you can stock up on cheap staples.

Oh and the mini Goodfellas pizzas are 2 for £4.

Martin Lewis, eat your heart out.

Not sure the last bit of advice is too sensible tbh. No doubt filling, but might result in other complications.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024