Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days 14:54 - Jan 18 with 4380 viewsMaySixth

38,010 vs Leeds Utd (FA Cup sixth round) 1974-75
35,109 vs Liverpool (Division One) 1976-77
35,077 vs Norwich City (Division One) 1975-76
34,726 vs Norwich City (Division One) 1976-77
34,709 vs Liverpool (FA Cup Fourth Round) 1974-75
34,636 vs Arsenal (Division One) 1972-73
33,663 vs Barcelona (UEFA Cup Third Round, first leg) 1977-78
33,438 vs Manchester Utd (Division One) 1975-76
33,292 vs Liverpool (Division One) 1973-74
32,996 vs Wolves (FA Cup fourth round) 1976-77
[Post edited 18 Jan 14:55]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:02 - Jan 18 with 3012 viewsDarkBrandon

When you look at it now a couple of things are striking.

Firstly, the large gap between first and second.Did they decide the capacity had to be reduced after that game?

Secondly it is a bit weird it being Leeds in the cup that is top. Barcelona not attractive enough? Shows how the game has changed, as well as Leeds’ position in the football hierarchy. (Ours too of course, to be fair).

Also nothing from 1981?
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:12 - Jan 18 with 2921 viewsBeattie78

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:02 - Jan 18 by DarkBrandon

Firstly, the large gap between first and second.Did they decide the capacity had to be reduced after that game?

Secondly it is a bit weird it being Leeds in the cup that is top. Barcelona not attractive enough? Shows how the game has changed, as well as Leeds’ position in the football hierarchy. (Ours too of course, to be fair).

Also nothing from 1981?

Leeds brought thousands with them, Barcelona didn't

LexdenBlue62

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:13 - Jan 18 with 2920 viewsMaySixth

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:02 - Jan 18 by DarkBrandon

Also nothing from 1981?

Can't answer the first question - the FA Cup meant so much more back in the day and Leeds were a huge club and could have brought a good following.

As to your second point, Barcelona had nothing like the global stature back then they do now plus, as you point out, there may have been slight capacity limitations.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:14 - Jan 18 with 2914 viewsmickymills

Also nothing from 1981?

By 1981 the Portman Terrace had become all seater/executive boxes, reducing the capacity to around 32000.
I was at the Leeds game, 9 years old at the time. I recall a combination of fear at how crowded it was and excitement of being in such a big crowd. Not sure if numbers were limited after that, but it really did feel very crowded.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:37 - Jan 18 with 2787 viewsElephantintheRoom

Also nothing from 1981?

It’s not wierd if you’re of an age that can remember Town trying to win cup ties. Town has already dumped holders Liverpool out of the competition and Leeds were champions. This was at a time when Town had never won more than 3 FA Cup ties so we’re entering uncharted territory and cup fever was rampant.

I’m more surprised Real Madrid didn’t feature in that list as they were far more glamorous than Barcelona at the time. I guess evening matches were a problem for many - but only 25,000 turned up for a once in a lifetime chance to see Real Madrid

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:37 - Jan 18 with 2797 viewslongtimefan

Also nothing from 1981?

At least the Barcelona gate was over 30K. The Real Madrid game in 1973 only had 25,280. The away leg was 80K!
[Post edited 18 Jan 15:40]
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:38 - Jan 18 with 2789 viewsITFC_Forever

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:14 - Jan 18 by mickymills

By 1981 the Portman Terrace had become all seater/executive boxes, reducing the capacity to around 32000.
I was at the Leeds game, 9 years old at the time. I recall a combination of fear at how crowded it was and excitement of being in such a big crowd. Not sure if numbers were limited after that, but it really did feel very crowded.

Official attendance was 38k, but it's widely reported there was well over 40k in the ground that night - if you knew who to ask, it was easy to slip the gateman a couple of quid and go through the side gate / lift kids over the turnstile / tailgate the person in front.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:41 - Jan 18 with 2732 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Also nothing from 1981?

Seats reduced the overall.

In Leeds lore they brought even more (I know its a running joke) so the actual attendance for that game could have been well over 40k as people would find ways to get more in back then with the methods for recording it being primitive , most that attended it certainly felt rammed. There could have been a lot of Town fans unaccounted for as well, Leeds was considered a spectacle in that era.
Login to get fewer ads

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:42 - Jan 18 with 2729 viewsHeathlander

I was at 9 of those I reckon. Only one was the 72/73 game as I may have started going the season after. I remember the Leeds game. I was on a beer crate in Churchmans. You could not move an inch.
[Post edited 18 Jan 15:45]
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:50 - Jan 18 with 2686 viewsDJR

I would have been at all of those games because I went to all home games in that period, although with the exception of Barcelona and Leeds, I can't pretend to remember the games themselves.

Leeds stands out because of the crush, and Barcelona because of Cruyff.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:51 - Jan 18 with 2682 viewsBattersea_Blue

I was at that Leeds game and I ended up getting in for free .. 😁

I was 17 then and got there from Lowestoft with my mate, his dad and uncle, who all had season tickets.

I always paid on the gate, in the East stand as that’s where they sat, but I couldn’t buy on the day for the area they sat.

So all the turnstiles told me “sold out, capacity, can’t come in”.

I ended up down the Churchman's, but it was the same story. Really thought I wasn’t going to get in and there were loads of other disappointed fans in the same boat.

Then an ITFC official came round the corner with about 20 fans. I was close to the turnstiles when this guy told the turnstile attendant “these people have already paid, let them in”. I wormed myself into the middle of this group and walked in . . 😁

Great game, got to the centre of Churchman’s about half way up. What an atmosphere.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:51 - Jan 18 with 2682 viewsVic

I think I was at all those games!

I remember the Leeds one - sitting on the grass in front of the West Stand.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:58 - Jan 18 with 2605 viewslongtimefan

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:42 - Jan 18 by Heathlander

I was at 9 of those I reckon. Only one was the 72/73 game as I may have started going the season after. I remember the Leeds game. I was on a beer crate in Churchmans. You could not move an inch.
[Post edited 18 Jan 15:45]

I was at a minimum of 9 of those. The only one I'm not certain whether I was at was the Arsenal game in 72/73. That was on the boundary of me starting to go regularly.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:59 - Jan 18 with 2600 viewsKeno

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:51 - Jan 18 by Vic

I'm also pretty sure there were more in the ground that day!!

the crash barriers started coming out in the North and a load of us got moved out

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:12 - Jan 18 with 2544 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:59 - Jan 18 by Keno

the crash barriers started coming out in the North and a load of us got moved out

I was at every one of those games. Those really were the days when the FA Cup was magic. It was the first time we'd made it in our history to the 6th round, and there was a real sense we could beat Leeds and go all the way. Jonty lobbed over the Leeds keeper in the dying minutes and it hit the bar. Watching Real and Barca at Portman Road - it almost started to feel normal. Dare we dream once more?

Poll: would you rather

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:14 - Jan 18 with 2524 viewsmatteoblue

It's pretty obvious the Leeds attendance was miscounted. It's funny how it's never disputed.

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:19 - Jan 18 with 2463 viewsnorfsufblue

Pretty sure I was at all them and for the Leeds game I actually had one of the best views I ever had as a 13 year old on the Portman terrace.... as the upper teir was shorter there were staircases down to the concourses below with rails at the top to stop people fall down..... I sat directly opposite the North Stand penalty spot on said rail about a 2 feet above the head of the nearest person in front of me!.... darent look round and down though because that drop look fatal!
TWTDs
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:21 - Jan 18 with 2437 viewsKeno

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:12 - Jan 18 by LegendofthePhoenix

I was at every one of those games. Those really were the days when the FA Cup was magic. It was the first time we'd made it in our history to the 6th round, and there was a real sense we could beat Leeds and go all the way. Jonty lobbed over the Leeds keeper in the dying minutes and it hit the bar. Watching Real and Barca at Portman Road - it almost started to feel normal. Dare we dream once more?

enjoy

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:35 - Jan 18 with 2398 viewsDJR

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:59 - Jan 18 by Keno

I remember them coming out, and went to the Churchmans in the second half where there was some space.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:40 - Jan 18 with 2363 viewsDJR

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:21 - Jan 18 by Keno

enjoy

I was at the second replay at Filbert Street on a school day because some people at school organised a minibus. But from recollection the third replay was two days later, and it was just too difficult and tiring to make a second trip. There might also have been an issue with permission from the school.

Post edited.
[Post edited 18 Jan 18:17]
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:10 - Jan 18 with 2262 viewsoldburian

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:40 - Jan 18 by DJR

I was at the second replay at Filbert Street on a school day because some people at school organised a minibus. But from recollection the third replay was two days later, and it was just too difficult and tiring to make a second trip. There might also have been an issue with permission from the school.

Post edited.

Yes I was at Filbert Street for that one, the most enthralling no score draw after extra time you will ever see. The only time that leeds defence showed any panic was when Beattie decided to try his luck upfield.

We were knackered after that one, and with a young Wark in at central defender due to injuries, thought the mighty Leeds would be too much two days later.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:15 - Jan 18 with 2240 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:40 - Jan 18 by DJR

Post edited.

It was the second replay (third match) and 3rd replay (fourth match) at Filbert St. I was allowed to skip school for the second replay on the Tuesday, but told I had to go to school for the third replay. But when I discovered the supporters coach was going via Beccles, I bunked off the afternoon with a mate and we made it to the 3rd replay to witness that incredible moment in ITFC history.
I have never seen any footage of the first tie at Portman Road and the lob I mentioned. Anyone got any footage of that game?

Poll: would you rather

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:15 - Jan 18 with 2236 viewsblue62

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:51 - Jan 18 by Vic

I remember sitting on the grass around the pitch as well, but thought it was for the Liverpool game.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:18 - Jan 18 with 2223 viewsbournemouthblue

Also nothing from 1981?

I think capacity was meant to be capped to 34k after Leeds game, even though we still seem to have broken that a few times

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:24 - Jan 18 with 2202 viewsgtsb1966

I remember the Wolves game for the wrong reason. As soon as the final whistle went everyone in the North Stand went to leave but someone hadn't opened the doors. I was 10 years old and thankfully people were able to lift me above the crowd as I, and a few others , were getting crushed. Was a frightening experience.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024