Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days 14:54 - Jan 18 with 4492 viewsMaySixth

38,010 vs Leeds Utd (FA Cup sixth round) 1974-75
35,109 vs Liverpool (Division One) 1976-77
35,077 vs Norwich City (Division One) 1975-76
34,726 vs Norwich City (Division One) 1976-77
34,709 vs Liverpool (FA Cup Fourth Round) 1974-75
34,636 vs Arsenal (Division One) 1972-73
33,663 vs Barcelona (UEFA Cup Third Round, first leg) 1977-78
33,438 vs Manchester Utd (Division One) 1975-76
33,292 vs Liverpool (Division One) 1973-74
32,996 vs Wolves (FA Cup fourth round) 1976-77
[Post edited 18 Jan 14:55]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:31 - Jan 18 with 1179 viewsKeno

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:15 - Jan 18 by LegendofthePhoenix

It was the second replay (third match) and 3rd replay (fourth match) at Filbert St. I was allowed to skip school for the second replay on the Tuesday, but told I had to go to school for the third replay. But when I discovered the supporters coach was going via Beccles, I bunked off the afternoon with a mate and we made it to the 3rd replay to witness that incredible moment in ITFC history.
I have never seen any footage of the first tie at Portman Road and the lob I mentioned. Anyone got any footage of that game?

Found the 1st replay

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:47 - Jan 18 with 1160 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:31 - Jan 18 by Keno

Found the 1st replay

cheers, never seen that before! My Dad was at the game, I had to listen on the radio.

Poll: would you rather

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:54 - Jan 18 with 1144 viewsblueislander

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:50 - Jan 18 by DJR

I would have been at all of those games because I went to all home games in that period, although with the exception of Barcelona and Leeds, I can't pretend to remember the games themselves.

Leeds stands out because of the crush, and Barcelona because of Cruyff.

Cryuff was invisible that night. Roger Osborne had him in his pocket.

I watched the Real Madrid match from the pitch side in the St John’s Ambulance area as my now wife fainted just before kick off.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 18:09 - Jan 18 with 1131 viewsbackwaywhen

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:38 - Jan 18 by ITFC_Forever

Official attendance was 38k, but it's widely reported there was well over 40k in the ground that night - if you knew who to ask, it was easy to slip the gateman a couple of quid and go through the side gate / lift kids over the turnstile / tailgate the person in front.

It was a Saturday 3pm KO ….I know as I got locked out and tried to watch from the top of GRE car park …..alas no a lot to see from there .
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 18:15 - Jan 18 with 1113 viewsDJR

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:15 - Jan 18 by LegendofthePhoenix

It was the second replay (third match) and 3rd replay (fourth match) at Filbert St. I was allowed to skip school for the second replay on the Tuesday, but told I had to go to school for the third replay. But when I discovered the supporters coach was going via Beccles, I bunked off the afternoon with a mate and we made it to the 3rd replay to witness that incredible moment in ITFC history.
I have never seen any footage of the first tie at Portman Road and the lob I mentioned. Anyone got any footage of that game?

Yes, there were so many games, I got a bit mixed up. I've now edited my post.
[Post edited 18 Jan 18:18]
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 18:28 - Jan 18 with 1091 viewskiwiblue

It would be interesting now it is not all seater how many we would get in this season maybe 35000 plus?
I was there regular through the 70s and at most of those crushed in the North Stand behind the barriers and then in the cage and can remember the rows on the pitches sat on wet grass.
its those days that make the 2003 to 2021 years so bleak.
[Post edited 19 Jan 3:26]
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 18:44 - Jan 18 with 1058 viewsRadlett_blue

I have no recollection of the 1-2 defeat to Arsenal in March 1973. I can only assume the crowd was so large because Arsenal were chasing the title & would have brought several thousand. Oddly enough, that was our 7th consecutive defeat to Arsenal in all competitions, but as the ageing Arsenal double winning team broke up, after 2 draws the following season, we won our next 7 encounters with them.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 19:09 - Jan 18 with 1039 viewsEdmundo

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:18 - Jan 18 by bournemouthblue

I think capacity was meant to be capped to 34k after Leeds game, even though we still seem to have broken that a few times

When you think about how much the area has grown over the last 50 years, talk of a 34k capacity again isn't far off the mark.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Login to get fewer ads

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 19:27 - Jan 18 with 1019 viewsjaykay

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:51 - Jan 18 by Vic

I think I was at all those games!

I remember the Leeds one - sitting on the grass in front of the West Stand.

was at all them games.cant remember people sitting in front of the west stand. the linesmen would have had a hard job to run the line and players taking throw ins.
the only time i can remember people sitting on the grass was in the early sixties when we played arsenal over the bank holiday at easter.. that was behind the goal at the north stand end. where the area from the stand to the pitch was a bit further away. plus the only player affected by us kids sitting there would have been the keeper taking goal kicks

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 19:33 - Jan 18 with 1007 viewsford6600

I went to 8 of those. Moved to Ipswich summer 1974 so didn't see Arsenal 72/3 or Liverpool 73/4. Most memorable 38,010 Leeds game. My brother and l finally got in near touchline halfway along Cobbold. Before kick off lots spilled out of left corner of North Stand. very crowded, everywhere in ground, and pity it ended 0-0! We went to replay at Elland Road 1-1
and second replay at Filbert Street 0-0, didn't go to 3rd replay which we finally won. Had feeling of changing of the guard as the great Leeds team getting to its sell by date,fought hard but succumbed to Ipswich. We wont see crowds like these until PR increased in capacity. An uncle who often just talked about attending games actually queued for Leeds, but gave up after 30 mins,otherwise record would have been officially 38,011!
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 20:06 - Jan 18 with 979 viewsGeomorph

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:21 - Jan 18 by Keno

enjoy

Thanks.. will never forget that match.. though town scored the first as dad was parking up at the ground . Also went to Liverpool game in 76/7.. on a milk crate in the west stand
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 20:31 - Jan 18 with 927 viewsOldTractor

Went to every single one of these games.
At that time Leeds were the style icons of the day in that I believe they were the first team to have their numbers on the sides of their shorts as well as on their the back of their shirts. They also had fancy sock tie ups which had little numbers incorporated into the tie so when the top of their sock was rolled down you could see what looked like little number flags around the tops of their legs !
Was in the North Stand at the time and the crowd was so rammed tight that you had two options, either keep your hand down by your side or place them on the shoulders of the person in front of you. There was no other option. When the crowd surged you were lifted off your feet and went with it.
With the Barcelona game it was mid week and I didn't know if I could go to the match but their was an announcement that morning in the EADT that in order to get a good crowd at the stadium to get behind the team the club had reduced their on the gate ticket prices from 75p down to 50p - so persuaded my father to let me go.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 20:45 - Jan 18 with 916 viewssotd78

I was at every one of these. Indeed TWTD.....

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 22:36 - Jan 18 with 871 viewsswede

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:40 - Jan 18 by DJR

I was at the second replay at Filbert Street on a school day because some people at school organised a minibus. But from recollection the third replay was two days later, and it was just too difficult and tiring to make a second trip. There might also have been an issue with permission from the school.

Post edited.
[Post edited 18 Jan 18:17]

Would that have been Woodbridge School? I went to the second replay on a mini-bus from Woodbridge School, but we were not allowed to go to the third replay two days later.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 04:46 - Jan 19 with 807 viewsChurchman

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 16:40 - Jan 18 by DJR

I was at the second replay at Filbert Street on a school day because some people at school organised a minibus. But from recollection the third replay was two days later, and it was just too difficult and tiring to make a second trip. There might also have been an issue with permission from the school.

Post edited.
[Post edited 18 Jan 18:17]

We did the Leeds at home game. I stood on the terrace on what is now Cobbold stand near the little hut that was at the back of it. Where the exec boxes are. As a teenager, and not being the biggest, I saw zippo. You couldn’t move. It was fun though.

We did the Flbert Street replays. The first was on a Tuesday. How I did that with school, I really don’t know. I think my dad was at the gate, mum had done the sandwiches and off we went.

I’ll never forget the carnival of cars, buses, minibuses with scarves and flags etc. we stood on the little side stand terrace. Most of the crowd were lagered up and a little dog did performing tricks on the pitch before the game.

The 3-2 game was played two days later on the Thursday. We went to that too and had seats in the tiny little stand behind the goal where Woods curled in the winner.

Getting away, my dad took delight in abusing Leeds fans. It didn’t end well when a few started booting his two year old bright orange Audi 80. We got away ok. Delia? Get a grip! I’m still waiting for an apology from Leeds United and Leicester!!

It was a great cup run. We did the Liverpool and Aston Villa games and the semi final at Villa Park. The Stamford Bridge game we couldn’t do. Happy memories of a very different time.

You learned the art of moving to get a better view on a terrace. There were a few games where that wasn’t possible. Leeds at home was one, Wembley 78 was another - the latter not really necessary because the terrace steps were huge by the standards of the day.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 07:02 - Jan 19 with 789 viewsPendejo

Only went to 2 - the rest were before I discovered ITFC existed.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 07:31 - Jan 19 with 772 viewsDJR

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 22:36 - Jan 18 by swede

Would that have been Woodbridge School? I went to the second replay on a mini-bus from Woodbridge School, but we were not allowed to go to the third replay two days later.

No, it was Northgate, although the coincidence is striking.
[Post edited 19 Jan 7:35]
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 12:20 - Jan 19 with 706 viewsMaySixth

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 07:31 - Jan 19 by DJR

Dug a little more into the Leeds game 1974/1975

The week before we played against Sheff Utd and lost 1-0 in front of 21,813 - so a 17,000 drop off!!

Laurie Sivell

George Burley

Mick Mills

Brian Talbot

Allan Hunter

Kevin Beattie

Bryan Hamilton

Colin Viljoen

Dave Johnson

Trevor Whymark

Mick Lambert

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 13:31 - Jan 19 with 659 viewslongtimefan

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 19:27 - Jan 18 by jaykay

was at all them games.cant remember people sitting in front of the west stand. the linesmen would have had a hard job to run the line and players taking throw ins.
the only time i can remember people sitting on the grass was in the early sixties when we played arsenal over the bank holiday at easter.. that was behind the goal at the north stand end. where the area from the stand to the pitch was a bit further away. plus the only player affected by us kids sitting there would have been the keeper taking goal kicks

First ever first team game I went to, Man Utd, 19th September 1970 (4-0), I was sat on the grass in front of the old East Stand along with a lot of other kids .
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 13:50 - Jan 19 with 644 viewsMillsey

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:51 - Jan 18 by Battersea_Blue

I was at that Leeds game and I ended up getting in for free .. 😁

I was 17 then and got there from Lowestoft with my mate, his dad and uncle, who all had season tickets.

I always paid on the gate, in the East stand as that’s where they sat, but I couldn’t buy on the day for the area they sat.

So all the turnstiles told me “sold out, capacity, can’t come in”.

I ended up down the Churchman's, but it was the same story. Really thought I wasn’t going to get in and there were loads of other disappointed fans in the same boat.

Then an ITFC official came round the corner with about 20 fans. I was close to the turnstiles when this guy told the turnstile attendant “these people have already paid, let them in”. I wormed myself into the middle of this group and walked in . . 😁

Great game, got to the centre of Churchman’s about half way up. What an atmosphere.

Dropped my mates off and parked my Cortina, then could ruddy get in ffs 😂
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 14:35 - Jan 19 with 631 viewsOldFart71

Was in the crowd of 38,010 against Leeds . Quite dangerous in fact, no wonder they went to all seater stadiums. Of course you had Hillsborough and Bradford where that terrible fire destroyed their main stand and killed several people. The reason was wooden steps and someone with a fag possibly setting alight rubbish. For those that remember the old Churchman's stand had wooden sleepers for steps. Back to that Leeds game, I was in the North Stand SBR now and the force of the crowd broke crash barriers off which were handed down to the pitch. Also when PR had a large crowd fans would be seated around the edge of the pitch. Great days. It's only when you look back you realise how dangerous it was. But then we did things as kids that Health and Safety would go mad at like building a ramp made out of snow at the end of the slide on the playing field and coming down the slide on a sledge. Or climbing up the poles that went to the top of the slide instead of using the steps. Then onto the swings where we would swing as high as we could and then jump off them.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 14:40 - Jan 19 with 619 viewsKeno

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 07:31 - Jan 19 by DJR

I got the afternoon off from Northgate to go to the semi finial replay

I still the mental scars from that

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:15 - Jan 19 with 602 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 14:35 - Jan 19 by OldFart71

Was in the crowd of 38,010 against Leeds . Quite dangerous in fact, no wonder they went to all seater stadiums. Of course you had Hillsborough and Bradford where that terrible fire destroyed their main stand and killed several people. The reason was wooden steps and someone with a fag possibly setting alight rubbish. For those that remember the old Churchman's stand had wooden sleepers for steps. Back to that Leeds game, I was in the North Stand SBR now and the force of the crowd broke crash barriers off which were handed down to the pitch. Also when PR had a large crowd fans would be seated around the edge of the pitch. Great days. It's only when you look back you realise how dangerous it was. But then we did things as kids that Health and Safety would go mad at like building a ramp made out of snow at the end of the slide on the playing field and coming down the slide on a sledge. Or climbing up the poles that went to the top of the slide instead of using the steps. Then onto the swings where we would swing as high as we could and then jump off them.

At the Leeds game kids sat on the pitch side of the wall leaning their backs on it The distance from the stand to the pitch was greater then and of course it was mostly all standing.
During the third reply we were in Dad's car and my brother was in the back with his tranny. (No jokes please this was a radio in the 70's) He exploded when we scored and Dad nearly drove into a tree. When Clive Woods scored the third he had learnt. He lent forward and whispered "Woods" and did a silent jig on the back seat.
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:45 - Jan 19 with 580 viewsnorth_stand77

I was lucky enough to go to all 4 games, including the Tuesday evening game at Elland Road. That required me to bunk off work for the day (was 17 at the time and hadn't left school long so was a bit reckless). Got a lift with a car full of blokes and got back at around 5am the next day just in time to have 2 hours kip and catch the train to work!

The 2 evening games in 2 days at Filbert were much easier to get to!
Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 15:57 - Jan 19 with 569 viewsChurchman

Top 10 Portman Road attendances - those were the days on 17:47 - Jan 18 by LegendofthePhoenix

cheers, never seen that before! My Dad was at the game, I had to listen on the radio.

I’ve never seen that. Great header for the goal. I too listened to it on my trannie! So disappointed when they equalise. I don’t know what the crown was at Elland Rd but it looked pretty full.

I actually still have the programmes from the Filbert Street games. Two of the very few I’ve kept.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024