Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
KM planned that, and the players executed it 07:52 - Jan 23 with 3997 viewsGavTWTD

Just feel this morning that it was the plan all the time. We are soft in the first 15 so let them have the first half but keep the score low. Bring on impact impactful subs for the last quarter and overrun their tired defence.

I know this is nothing new really to us but there's no way we could play our full game for 90 minutes. Not sure what our plan was for Leeds but Davis was much more defensively minded and we chose Travis/Luongo over Taylor. I really didn't think Mass would complete the game given his injury.

We have a really strong bench of 10s and we need to keep the faith. I desperately hope we get a couple of 9s in just to give Kieran as many options as possible to win games.

We've learnt from Leeds so we shouldn't fear the season end if it looks like it being extended. And for now I'm watching the second half again. 73'.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 07:55 - Jan 23 with 3419 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yep. My view entirely. Great tsctics by KM.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:02 - Jan 23 with 3359 viewsCheltenham_Blue

After the game last night I was thinking about all of this Gav and one thing is clearly happening, everyone with the exception of Leeds has tired against us in the last 20. The fitness levels that KM demands from us and the level of press he wants, other teams just can't keep up with us for the whole 90.

You're right, the plan seemed to be, weather the storm, keep their scoring down and then go at them in the last 30. On another night, and with some better decision making, we might have won that last night.
[Post edited 23 Jan 8:13]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:14 - Jan 23 with 3258 viewsJohn_Warks_Willy

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:02 - Jan 23 by Cheltenham_Blue

After the game last night I was thinking about all of this Gav and one thing is clearly happening, everyone with the exception of Leeds has tired against us in the last 20. The fitness levels that KM demands from us and the level of press he wants, other teams just can't keep up with us for the whole 90.

You're right, the plan seemed to be, weather the storm, keep their scoring down and then go at them in the last 30. On another night, and with some better decision making, we might have won that last night.
[Post edited 23 Jan 8:13]

It’s a good point. In rugby, creating / waiting for fatigue is very much part of the game plan isn’t it

Poll: Is Billm….

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:14 - Jan 23 with 3254 viewsPioneerBlue

Agreed.

KMcK alluded to it but wouldn’t say it out right. He suggested we picked stronger players for the first half battle knowing what he had on the bench if the score was favourable. In that way, it is a near perfect away performance and nearly as good as you could hope for given opposition.

In reality, Leicester didn’t do enough to carve out big chances and we had several which could have ended very differently for us.

We really did have game changers on the bench, the first half team did their work and provided a platform for the second half team to be able to attack the final 20 or so mins.
[Post edited 23 Jan 8:28]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:22 - Jan 23 with 3176 viewsVic

This, plus the fact that McKenna admitted that we didn’t bring our A game out in the first half. He admitted there may have been (in my words) some concern about the quality of the opposition which subdued our natural game. But clearly there is a thing now about bein* strong in the first half - something I think McKenna has learnt, ie, not to go gung ho from the off against the best teams.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:25 - Jan 23 with 3145 viewsHerbivore

Think he wanted us to be a touch more positive first half as he said in his interview but otherwise I think you're right. It looked like we were happy to do a bit of a containing job initially and whilst we were missing our usual good use of the ball when we got it, they were working incredibly hard to press us as high and as fast as they were. Second half we were on the front foot and they couldn't really get set to press us in the same way and we were finding space between the lines and out wide. If not for the own goal, we could have pulled off an absolutely perfect 1-0 away win but overall I think the draw was right. They had chances but we were a threat too and the pressure we sustained in the period up to the equaliser, it always looked possible the goal was coming.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:42 - Jan 23 with 3045 viewsIPS_wich

I think he reflected on the first game - which showed that:

(a) whilst we might not like it, the Leicester team are technically better than us
(b) Leicester completely ran out of steam in the last 25 minutes

and then delivered a perfect rope-a-dope strategy that saw us coming home with a wet sail and probably the only team that was going to win it in the last 10 minutes.

It's what has annoyed the Leicester fans the most on their forum - because it was such an obvious ploy from the way we played in the first half and yet just like last time they didn't respond quickly enough to freshen up their midfield.
KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:55 - Jan 23 with 2919 viewsfranz_tyson

OK, but.... I thought Leicester were pretty poor with their finishing in the first half and ww were guilty of giving them too much possession needlessly. We could - and maybe should have - been 2 or 3 nil down at half time. If we wanted to keep the score down by HT as per plan... then we didn't do a great job. We were lucky we were still in the game. Second half performance and the sub's introduction was great, but not sure we were executing a plan that well in the first half.
Login to get fewer ads

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:58 - Jan 23 with 2889 viewsKieran_Knows

I'm not saying we go break FFP rules, but we surely have to push them to their limits over the course of the next 8 days?

We have a once in a generation manager on the cusp of doing something absolutely incredible, we really need to back him to the hilt.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 09:00 - Jan 23 with 2863 viewsHerbivore

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:55 - Jan 23 by franz_tyson

OK, but.... I thought Leicester were pretty poor with their finishing in the first half and ww were guilty of giving them too much possession needlessly. We could - and maybe should have - been 2 or 3 nil down at half time. If we wanted to keep the score down by HT as per plan... then we didn't do a great job. We were lucky we were still in the game. Second half performance and the sub's introduction was great, but not sure we were executing a plan that well in the first half.

Hladky had one or two routine saves to make first half and the goal was an own goal. 1-0 was about right, disagree that we should have been 2 or 3 down. Struggling to think which chances you're thinking of to reach that conclusion.

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 09:01 - Jan 23 with 2859 viewsWhos_blue

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:14 - Jan 23 by John_Warks_Willy

It’s a good point. In rugby, creating / waiting for fatigue is very much part of the game plan isn’t it

Clive Woodwood never referred to the players he brought on as "subs".
He called them "finishers".
It's all about mindset.
KM has this in spades.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 09:21 - Jan 23 with 2732 viewsGuthrum

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 09:01 - Jan 23 by Whos_blue

Clive Woodwood never referred to the players he brought on as "subs".
He called them "finishers".
It's all about mindset.
KM has this in spades.

I was about to make the same point.

It's not just about the mental side, but also the disparity in quality/match-fitness between First Team and subs which most squads seem to suffer from and the lack of confidence making tactical changes it seems to inspire in other managers. One of the most common complaints I've seen on other message boards is that substitutions were too late, not at all or weakened the team. Ours, on the other hand, are pretty much on a level with the starting eleven, bursting with energy. It's a reinvigoration, rather than a significant drop-off.

Which, having tired the opposition out in the first hour or so and with their Manager unwilling to make unforced changes himself, can be a devastating blow. I'm sure it's why we're now scoring a decent number of late goals.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 09:58 - Jan 23 with 2621 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Agree with all this and what a few others have said in the thread, but I'd also add I messaged a mate saying it's a shame there's not another 10 mins... because I think we'd have gone on to win if we had that.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 11:04 - Jan 23 with 2470 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Absolutely, though I am not sure about a couple of 9s. One to me makes sense.

Firstly I don't think we can afford two. Plus, after we have signed the first one, I am not sure we will entice someone who is good enough who will feel he is likely going to be on the bench.

Also, I don't think subs going forward will be 9s. We will put on a number of pacy and/or skillful 'finishers' - no 10s who will confuse the hell out of tired opposition defenders, just like last night.
KM planned that, and the players executed it on 11:08 - Jan 23 with 2436 viewspennblue

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:14 - Jan 23 by PioneerBlue

Agreed.

KMcK alluded to it but wouldn’t say it out right. He suggested we picked stronger players for the first half battle knowing what he had on the bench if the score was favourable. In that way, it is a near perfect away performance and nearly as good as you could hope for given opposition.

In reality, Leicester didn’t do enough to carve out big chances and we had several which could have ended very differently for us.

We really did have game changers on the bench, the first half team did their work and provided a platform for the second half team to be able to attack the final 20 or so mins.
[Post edited 23 Jan 8:28]

The psychological impact (on our starting 11) of knowing you have those 3 to come on cannot be underestimated.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:22 - Jan 23 with 2248 viewsPioneerBlue

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 11:08 - Jan 23 by pennblue

The psychological impact (on our starting 11) of knowing you have those 3 to come on cannot be underestimated.

And their job is clear. Be in the game at 60-75 minutes. I wonder whether that’s part of why we found it difficult first half, caught between knowing the job was to keep the game close but knowing defending your goal high up the pitch creates opportunities that the likes of Leeds were able to take.
[Post edited 23 Jan 18:01]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:24 - Jan 23 with 2230 views_clive_baker_

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:14 - Jan 23 by John_Warks_Willy

Does that make Sarmiento, Hutchinson and Broadhead the 'bomb squad'?
KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:24 - Jan 23 with 2200 viewschicoazul

We really need to start keeping clean sheets though. Our GD is inferior to our rivals. Could be costly.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:26 - Jan 23 with 2173 viewsHerbivore

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:24 - Jan 23 by chicoazul

We really need to start keeping clean sheets though. Our GD is inferior to our rivals. Could be costly.

We've conceded three in our last five, keeping 2 clean sheets. Last night we were away at the top scorers in the division. I think you could do with tempering your expectations a touch.

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:29 - Jan 23 with 2124 viewschicoazul

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:26 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

We've conceded three in our last five, keeping 2 clean sheets. Last night we were away at the top scorers in the division. I think you could do with tempering your expectations a touch.

I’m just saying. If OP is correct and we plan to basically surrender the first half in games our GD needs to improve somehow. Gonna be tight up there next few months and every goal could make the difference.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:30 - Jan 23 with 2115 views_clive_baker_

So is our budget unfortunately. Significantly.

We just need to keep picking up points, all is good. Last night and the Sunderland win will have given us a lot of confidence (not that we lacked it). It's game on now, it's an 18 game season. Got to keep ticking them off.

We'll have to make do with 2nd place and an FA Cup this season.
KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:35 - Jan 23 with 2058 viewsGavTWTD

Or score more.

It would be an interesting question to KM.really. does he value clean sheets.or are goals against likely because of the way we play (especially down the left) so he'd prefer more goals rather than clean sheets.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:36 - Jan 23 with 2050 views_clive_baker_

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:29 - Jan 23 by chicoazul

I’m just saying. If OP is correct and we plan to basically surrender the first half in games our GD needs to improve somehow. Gonna be tight up there next few months and every goal could make the difference.

Lets not be silly about it, we don't plan to surrender the 1st half of any game. We generally play on the front foot and look to impose our style on most sides at this level.

What we do need to be is pragmatic in certain situations, when you're away from home to a team with the quality that Leicester have you won't have it all your own way. Their last 4 home games before last night they had scored 4, 3, 3 and 4.

What we did very well is kept our shape and discipline and defended very well, and in doing so you give yourselves a chance when you've got the players we have on the bench to can come on and make an impact.
KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:39 - Jan 23 with 2017 viewsHerbivore

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 12:29 - Jan 23 by chicoazul

We've gone though a run of drawing games, that and losing to Leeds by 4 goals has been the big problem.

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 16:36 - Jan 23 with 1750 viewsMeadowlark

KM planned that, and the players executed it on 08:25 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

Think he wanted us to be a touch more positive first half as he said in his interview but otherwise I think you're right. It looked like we were happy to do a bit of a containing job initially and whilst we were missing our usual good use of the ball when we got it, they were working incredibly hard to press us as high and as fast as they were. Second half we were on the front foot and they couldn't really get set to press us in the same way and we were finding space between the lines and out wide. If not for the own goal, we could have pulled off an absolutely perfect 1-0 away win but overall I think the draw was right. They had chances but we were a threat too and the pressure we sustained in the period up to the equaliser, it always looked possible the goal was coming.

"front foot" 🫢
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024