Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... 08:29 - Mar 28 with 959 viewsitfcjoe

.....by Daniel Finkelstein.

The quite incredible, and harrowing story, of his parents families and the war.

His maternal Grandparents were German Jews, with his Grandfather basically the first person in Europe to note and publicise what the Nazi's were really like.......his paternal Grandparents were well to do Polish Jews based in Lviv (or Lwow as it was) who had to face the wrath of Stalin.

Concentration camps, gulags, fake Paraguayan passports, avoiding transport to death camps.....just a quite incredible story.

A really tough read in places, it isn't hammed up but is just excoriating detail of what it was like for them and just how inhumane both the Nazis and the Soviets were in the 2nd World War

5*

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 08:42 - Mar 28 with 895 viewsHogger

I heard a podcast interview with this guy (think it was Dan Snow's History Hit) - as you say, a truly incredible story
Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 09:43 - Mar 28 with 806 viewsLinners

I've just bought (but not started yet) The Escape Artist by Jonathan Freedland which I also heard about on a podcast. Just an astonishing story of a guy that escaped from Auschwitz and then wrote a summary of what was happening for the Allies.
Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 09:44 - Mar 28 with 804 viewsPhilTWTD

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 08:42 - Mar 28 by Hogger

I heard a podcast interview with this guy (think it was Dan Snow's History Hit) - as you say, a truly incredible story

I heard him on this.

https://podcasts.apple.com/si/podcast/surviving-hitler-and-stalin/id256580326?i=
Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 09:51 - Mar 28 with 755 viewstractorboy1978

There is a wonderful (or rather depressing/grim) documentary on Netflix called 'Turning Point - The Bomb and the Cold War' which I would recommend to anyone.
Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 09:52 - Mar 28 with 752 viewspablo_canooga

Added this to the list. One of the most harrowing books I've read is Primo Levi - If This Is A Man/The Truce. Lost for words after reading it.
Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 10:01 - Mar 28 with 716 viewsbracknell_blue

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 09:43 - Mar 28 by Linners

I've just bought (but not started yet) The Escape Artist by Jonathan Freedland which I also heard about on a podcast. Just an astonishing story of a guy that escaped from Auschwitz and then wrote a summary of what was happening for the Allies.

I've read that and it is excellent. Doesn't paint the allies in a good light at times.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 10:18 - Mar 28 with 688 viewsGlasgowBlue

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 09:52 - Mar 28 by pablo_canooga

Added this to the list. One of the most harrowing books I've read is Primo Levi - If This Is A Man/The Truce. Lost for words after reading it.

I read “If This Is A Man/The Truce (50th Anniversary Edition): Surviving Auschwitz” with a new introduction by David Baddiel this time last year. Harrowing.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 10:18 - Mar 28 with 687 viewsGlasgowBlue

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 09:43 - Mar 28 by Linners

I really enjoy reading both Freedland and Finkelstein.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 12:24 - Mar 28 with 550 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, I read that recently on a friend's recommendation & it was good. I feel it's necessary to read something related to the holocaust from time to time to remind myself of how brutal man's inhumanity to man can be, while it also provides a (very) small excuse for some of the recent Israeli behaviour.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 12:29 - Mar 28 with 540 viewsPlums

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 10:18 - Mar 28 by GlasgowBlue

I really enjoy reading both Freedland and Finkelstein.

I can highly recommend Philippe Sands too. His family connections with Lviv and where the story of East West Street takes him is also incredibly powerful.
The birth of human rights law should be a lesson to us all - dismantle it at our peril.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Book recomendation - Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad...... on 12:30 - Mar 28 with 538 viewsChurchman

Thanks. I’ll have to read that. Sounds fascinating.

I’m currently reading Ben Shepherd’s book Hitler’s Soldiers, The German Army in the Third Reich. Worth a read for anyone interested in that period.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024